Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Zero VGS posted:

Oh we're doing landlord lawyers? Here's a fun one:

- Section 8 prospective tenant wants to rent from landlord, turns out the Section 8 voucher cap is $500/mo short so landlord says sorry, they'd be losing money on that so they can't make it work

- Landlord gets a call from a lawyer... lawyer explains that he's engaged to the prospective tenant, and wants to cover the difference by "renting an area in the basement as storage", for $6000 cashier's check up front for the whole year. Bank check memo will say as much on it, and that's actually a not-crazy price for the storage regardless. Landlord confirmed the lawyer has been licensed locally for decades.

- Lawyer assures no shenanigans, as it would be mutually assured destruction; if lawyer doesn't pay the $6000 again next year as agreed, landlord can coincidentally decide not to renew lease.

Certainly this is unorthodox, but is the landlord walking into some kind of trap?

having never dealt with section 8 in my entire life, to me that sounds like there is a statutory max on how much a section 8 apartment can cost in rent (i.e. the tenant is not allowed to make up the difference, the total rent may be no more than X) and the lawyer is very carefully working around the spirit of the law while adhering to the letter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

evilweasel posted:

having never dealt with section 8 in my entire life, to me that sounds like there is a statutory max on how much a section 8 apartment can cost in rent (i.e. the tenant is not allowed to make up the difference, the total rent may be no more than X) and the lawyer is very carefully working around the spirit of the law while adhering to the letter

Yeah that's exactly what it is, just curious if there's some kinda gotcha where the tenant-lawyer-fiance team can gently caress the landlord over after the fact. Landlord's own lawyer thinks as long as the cash difference is paid up front for renting the basement and that's spelled out, then the money can't be clawed back later and everyone should be incentivized to play fair.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

Yeah that's exactly what it is, just curious if there's some kinda gotcha where the tenant-lawyer-fiance team can gently caress the landlord over after the fact. Landlord's own lawyer thinks as long as the cash difference is paid up front for renting the basement and that's spelled out, then the money can't be clawed back later and everyone should be incentivized to play fair.

When your potential tenant leads off with a lawyer...........

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Motronic posted:

When your potential tenant leads off with a lawyer...........

In this scenario the landlord dealt with the potential tenant (who presented as single) for weeks when the Section 8 voucher looked good, and the magical sugar-daddy, much older lawyer-fiance only came into the picture when a shortfall in money was revealed. Lawyer-fiance "doesn't plan to get married or move in for at least a year" (sounds like some kinda affair side-thing but none of anyone's business as long as the money's green I suppose).

It's still a big yikes though; if the landlord ever pisses off the tenant, the lawyer-fiance could revenge-litigate with a nuisance case.

First hit I googled has some other forum mod saying they had a bad experience renting to a lawyer too:

https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/52/topics/556964-do-you-rent-to-lawyers

Maybe the landlord should get some extra umbrella insurance and/or incorporate or something? Not sure how much that would help.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Yeah how terrible that a tenant might already have the means to fight back against a landlord, the landlord only controls whether they have a place to live

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
What’s a lawyer with 6k I’m laying around cash doing porking a Section 8 recipient?

Also wouldn’t living with a gain fully employed lawyer make one ineligible for Section 8 housing?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

FrozenVent posted:

What’s a lawyer with 6k I’m laying around cash doing porking a Section 8 recipient?

Also wouldn’t living with a gain fully employed lawyer make one ineligible for Section 8 housing?

He wouldn’t in theory be living there, he’d be renting the basement storage as a separate transaction.

I would still not do this thing if I were the landlord. Section 8 is woefully inadequate, but that’s a separate issue.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

How dare poors have relationships outside their caste. The nerve of some people!

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

BonerGhost posted:

Yeah how terrible that a tenant might already have the means to fight back against a landlord, the landlord only controls whether they have a place to live

I shouldn't bite, but a tenant with their own 24/7, presumably free lawyer feels a bit unfair against a responsible non-1%er landlord. Plus, the lease is what controls the tenant's quiet enjoyment of their place to live, not so much the landlord's whimsy.

Tabbing back real quick, 70% of your post history ITT is using "scum" and "landlord" in the same sentences. Lawyers aren't exactly beloved either so I'm not sure what kinda points you're hoping to win with sweeping generalizations against an equally maligned profession. (Spoiler: the lawyer volunteered that he is a landlord too. A lawyerlord, truly the most dire of evil beings. Now who do you side with?)

BonerGhost posted:

How dare poors have relationships outside their caste. The nerve of some people!

I'll kinda give you that one, that sentiment that someone with $6000 can't pork someone at poverty level, on it's own, is icky.

On the other hand, I did originally state that that lawyer is much older than the tenant; coupled with the whole financial + legal power disparity + "I'm not moving in with her" does bring my naive gay mind some great unease. But I guess that's just how some straights do things, and again none of my business, and maybe it's on the level. Elon Musk is kinda bringing it back, right?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Zero VGS posted:

In this scenario the landlord dealt with the potential tenant (who presented as single) for weeks when the Section 8 voucher looked good, and the magical sugar-daddy, much older lawyer-fiance only came into the picture when a shortfall in money was revealed. Lawyer-fiance "doesn't plan to get married or move in for at least a year" (sounds like some kinda affair side-thing but none of anyone's business as long as the money's green I suppose).

It's still a big yikes though; if the landlord ever pisses off the tenant, the lawyer-fiance could revenge-litigate with a nuisance case.

First hit I googled has some other forum mod saying they had a bad experience renting to a lawyer too:

https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/52/topics/556964-do-you-rent-to-lawyers

Maybe the landlord should get some extra umbrella insurance and/or incorporate or something? Not sure how much that would help.

quote:

I personally choose not to rent to lawyers, legal aid, police officers or social workers.
Social workers? This is why people hate landlords even more than lawyers.
The vast majority of lawyers don't want to spend their free time lawyering. Most lawyers are less litigious than the average person.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

nm posted:

Most lawyers are less litigious than the average person.

Is that because they can use their knowledge of the law to work things out before it ends up in a courtroom?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

SkunkDuster posted:

Is that because they can use their knowledge of the law to work things out before it ends up in a courtroom?

That, and because they're aware of the negative time/cost equation of litigation.

I had an auto-shop gently caress up installing new tie rods on my car some years ago, and one fuckin fell out while I was on the highway.

I went to a third party, had them document the damages, and give a short report on the reason the original tie rod was installed improperly ( I paid for this)

I called the original repair shop, showed them the report, and asked simply that they refund the cost of the original work. Didn't ask them to pay the couple extra hundred dollars for the towing, or other company's report.

We worked it out, partly because I started off by being reasonable with everyone, not asking for the moon, conceding a small portion of what I would otherwise be legally entitled to, etc.

Sure, I could have done the case for "free" but that few hundred dollars was not worth my time, or my relationship with these businesses.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

I shouldn't bite, but a tenant with their own 24/7, presumably free lawyer feels a bit unfair against a responsible non-1%er landlord. Plus, the lease is what controls the tenant's quiet enjoyment of their place to live, not so much the landlord's whimsy.

Tabbing back real quick, 70% of your post history ITT is using "scum" and "landlord" in the same sentences. Lawyers aren't exactly beloved either so I'm not sure what kinda points you're hoping to win with sweeping generalizations against an equally maligned profession. (Spoiler: the lawyer volunteered that he is a landlord too. A lawyerlord, truly the most dire of evil beings. Now who do you side with?)

I'll kinda give you that one, that sentiment that someone with $6000 can't pork someone at poverty level, on it's own, is icky.

On the other hand, I did originally state that that lawyer is much older than the tenant; coupled with the whole financial + legal power disparity + "I'm not moving in with her" does bring my naive gay mind some great unease. But I guess that's just how some straights do things, and again none of my business, and maybe it's on the level. Elon Musk is kinda bringing it back, right?

The lease sure is what controls a tenant's quiet enjoyment. Now if the landlord violates it, what are tenants typically instructed to do? Are people who have relationships with lawyers just automatically vexatious litigants or something?

You must have clicked the wrong post history or be confused, because calling someone who isn't a landlord a scumbag != "all landlords are scum" :shrug:

Between which people in this scenario are these supposed disparities?

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
This is a weird question but I got like 6 calls from an inmate in a jail. I don't know the person but I caught his name on the "will you accept a call from x" and found his info. I'm worried he's trying to get help but is reaching out to the wrong person. Is there a particular thing I should do?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

seiferguy posted:

This is a weird question but I got like 6 calls from an inmate in a jail. I don't know the person but I caught his name on the "will you accept a call from x" and found his info. I'm worried he's trying to get help but is reaching out to the wrong person. Is there a particular thing I should do?

Accept the call, let him know it's the wrong number? It costs a painfully large amount of money to make calls from prison so you'd be doing him a solid letting him know quickly.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
It sounds like a collect call, so OP is saving himself a painfully large amount of money by not answering the calls.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Volmarias posted:

Accept the call, let him know it's the wrong number? It costs a painfully large amount of money to make calls from prison so you'd be doing him a solid letting him know quickly.

The one hes calling from is collect, so I'd take on the charges, hence why I'm not answering them.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

SkunkDuster posted:

When you bill by the hour you have a strong sense of what your time is worth.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Send him a collect call, and when the collect call says to state your name, give "heydudeyou'recollectcallingthewrongnumber"

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Zero VGS posted:

Send him a collect call, and when the collect call says to state your name, give "heydudeyou'recollectcallingthewrongnumber"

I don't think you can collect call people in prison. Pretty sure they aren't allowed inbound calls at all.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

seiferguy posted:

The one hes calling from is collect, so I'd take on the charges, hence why I'm not answering them.

Oh, missed that it was collect, sorry.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

seiferguy posted:

Honestly, I would call the jail and ask them to let him know he’s dialing a wrong number.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

AlbieQuirky posted:

Honestly, I would call the jail and ask them to let him know he’s dialing a wrong number.

Better off writing him a postcard.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
See linked post:

The Bramble posted:

Here's the weirdest thing you'll read today.

My supervisor allowed one of my clients to sign-off a loan in his neighbor's name. How should I speak to my supervisor about this without getting fired from his intentional error?

How hosed is the supervisor, and how hosed would the employee be if s/he did not report the supervisor?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Since that one dude's never going to post the manifesto, here's a document I found stuffed into my door handle one day quite a few years ago. I've been saving it, it's really nice, some top tier bespoke craftsmanship honestly, I just keep forgetting to post it here. All markings are original. Either I was the blessed first recipient (and I killed this amazing grassroots movement by tucking the document away in my nightstand and then eventually taking it with me out of state) or nobody else was interested but they still passed it along, unsigned. You decide.

For your (hypothetical) consideration,

In summary:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Is the red pen you, or was it there

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Volmarias posted:

Is the red pen you, or was it there

All original markings, the pictures you see are of the document exactly as I received it. I’ve never been able to decide if he wrote it with a pen in each fist, or if he went back afterwards and augmented things.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

well now I need to know how the saga ended, did he get his extra pipes and who was actually responsible for maintaining the water water retention pond???

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

what a wholesome manifesto. dude just wants improved drainage in his neighbourhood, didn't even threaten to put anyone against the wall. i'd vote for him/her

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Leperflesh posted:

well now I need to know how the saga ended, did he get his extra pipes and who was actually responsible for maintaining the water water retention pond???

Not while I lived there. Been a few years and I still talk to the people that bought our house, I’ll have to ask next time.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
The WATER has RETURNED

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

WATER LAW?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Better off writing him a postcard.

You’re right, that’s much better.

But sign a fake name and don’t put a return address, just in case it’s some kind of scam.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I have a family law question. Before my spouse and I got married in Illinois, we signed a prenuptial agreement regarding some separation of finances. We have since moved to California where we currently reside. The reasons we signed the prenup are no longer pertinent and we would mutually like to cancel the agreement. Do we need to file a legal document? Is a postnuptial agreement what we need? Or is there some other way to dissolve the prenup and end up with the "default" marriage arrangement? Ultimately I'm wondering if we need a lawyer and if 6-8 hours at $400/hr is the price to pay to essentially rip up a piece of paper.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

toplitzin posted:

WATER LAW?

Literally part of my field of responsibility now. That letter looks like something I receive on a daily basis.

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

on a 3rd readthrough, i have to change my favourite line from "da, what's up doc??" to "the tasmanian devil strikes again" and now that i've noticed a second reference am intrigued by the looney toons theme

i love manifestos

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

spf3million posted:

I have a family law question. Before my spouse and I got married in Illinois, we signed a prenuptial agreement regarding some separation of finances. We have since moved to California where we currently reside. The reasons we signed the prenup are no longer pertinent and we would mutually like to cancel the agreement. Do we need to file a legal document? Is a postnuptial agreement what we need? Or is there some other way to dissolve the prenup and end up with the "default" marriage arrangement? Ultimately I'm wondering if we need a lawyer and if 6-8 hours at $400/hr is the price to pay to essentially rip up a piece of paper.

You should be able to book a 1 hour consultation with a lawyer, listen to a talk explaining that the consequence of dissolving the prenup is you revert back to state law on dissolution and that means x, y, and z (in general terms). You then both sign a piece of paper in front of him agreeing to dissolve the prenup.

The reason you want to do this is that the worst possible case scenario is you informally agree to cancel the agreement, get divorced in future, then the disadvantaged party is advised by their lawyer that they can argue the cancellation had no effect because they didn't get advice about what it would mean.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Alchenar posted:

You should be able to book a 1 hour consultation with a lawyer, listen to a talk explaining that the consequence of dissolving the prenup is you revert back to state law on dissolution and that means x, y, and z (in general terms). You then both sign a piece of paper in front of him agreeing to dissolve the prenup.

The reason you want to do this is that the worst possible case scenario is you informally agree to cancel the agreement, get divorced in future, then the disadvantaged party is advised by their lawyer that they can argue the cancellation had no effect because they didn't get advice about what it would mean.
Thanks for the feedback. This makes sense and was more what in line with what I was expecting. Does the piece of paper then need to be documented with the court somehow? I seem to remember that our lawyer in Illinois kept a copy of the signed prenup, do we need to get in touch with him and tell him to shred it? Or is the subsequently signed new mutual agreement enough to supercede the original agreement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

owlhawk911 posted:

on a 3rd readthrough, i have to change my favourite line from "da, what's up doc??" to "the tasmanian devil strikes again" and now that i've noticed a second reference am intrigued by the looney toons theme

i love manifestos

I think it actually says “devel” so I was assuming he was a software engineer from an island south of Melbourne.