Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I believe the better-odds machine is randomized per playthrough so there's no way for us to tell whether you got a good-odds machine or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

Carbon dioxide posted:

I believe the better-odds machine is randomized per playthrough so there's no way for us to tell whether you got a good-odds machine or not.

In Gen 1 and Gen 2, the slots are rigged so that you can only win on certain "lucky" runs, but in Fire Red/Leaf Green, you can actually time the reels.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

You... beat the slots? I didn't even know it was possible, I just hack in my coins like most people. You absolute madman.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Pretty sure "most people" fight the final bosses a few dozen times to grind money, then come back and buy tons of game coins.

Unless they're doing a challenge and need a certain prize right away (it's never Porygon though). In which case they do savescum the game machines.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

FoolyCharged posted:

You might be the first person to ever get a legit porygon in gen 1.

I had no idea it was this bad. I wasn't even playing the slots, I was literally just mashing the A button with one hand while doing something else. How did anybody get a Porygon in the original game, before you could refight trainers?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Seyser Koze posted:

I had no idea it was this bad. I wasn't even playing the slots, I was literally just mashing the A button with one hand while doing something else. How did anybody get a Porygon in the original game, before you could refight trainers?

There are exactly five trainers in the game in Gen 1 you could refight, so people grinded on them.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Savescumming slot machines is rather simple, if tedious.

You just need to save whenever you are 100 in the black and reload when you are 100 in the red.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I cannot explain how hard you can flex on pokemon fans for pulling this off, OP.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Anyway, the end point is that you should absolutely use porygon now because that would be something new for everyone

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
I never managed to win anything at the slots in this game. I think I may have once saved up for a dratini, but it was so tedious I would never do it again. I always imagined that Japanese kids just loved gambling or something and it was a cultural thing.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I think it’s just that it was common in rpgs of this vintage to have gambling minigames. Pretty much the only series I know of that has kept using them is Dragon Quest though.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

hopeandjoy posted:

I think it’s just that it was common in rpgs of this vintage to have gambling minigames. Pretty much the only series I know of that has kept using them is Dragon Quest though.

Europe cracked down on them, which is why there are no slot machines after this gen.

And Japan is pretty big on pachinko, which is where the 'buy your prizes next door' thing comes from.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

ItBreathes posted:

And Japan is pretty big on pachinko, which is where the 'buy your prizes next door' thing comes from.

Oh yeah, I remember about those. Gambling laws in Japan are as strict as anywhere, so you can't just run what are effectively slot machines where you bet money. But there's no law against running such places if the prizes have no value, like little medal tokens! And if some other business decides it wants to accept those tokens as currency for prizes, why, that's entirely their prerogative, regardless of any potential financial connection to the original pachinko place...

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Tenebrais posted:

Oh yeah, I remember about those. Gambling laws in Japan are as strict as anywhere, so you can't just run what are effectively slot machines where you bet money. But there's no law against running such places if the prizes have no value, like little medal tokens! And if some other business decides it wants to accept those tokens as currency for prizes, why, that's entirely their prerogative, regardless of any potential financial connection to the original pachinko place...

And if people sell those prizes next door to that, that’s just pawning you know?

(That’s the third step in Japanese gambling.)

That said, Japan recently tightened their gambling laws a bit so I don’t know how things are as we speak.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

FoolyCharged posted:

Anyway, the end point is that you should absolutely use porygon now because that would be something new for everyone

Porygon isn't exactly good, but it's also not like this game is so hard you have to minmax it either. Using a Porygon would be neat as hell.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

CuwiKhons posted:

Porygon isn't exactly good, but it's also not like this game is so hard you have to minmax it either. Using a Porygon would be neat as hell.

Porygon and its evolutions are one of my favorite mons, it's a shame they were tied to that seizure episode.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Meh, there's no way Seyzer can evolve Porygon, and just using its base form? Eh.

GeminiSun
Feb 16, 2011

hopeandjoy posted:

And if people sell those prizes next door to that, that’s just pawning you know?

(That’s the third step in Japanese gambling.)

That said, Japan recently tightened their gambling laws a bit so I don’t know how things are as we speak.

I don't remember the details either, but I remember there was a big to-do where Konami made the business decision of "gently caress video games, we're going all in on pachinko machines" only for pachinko to almost immediately be made obsolete.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Hunter Noventa posted:

Porygon and its evolutions are one of my favorite mons, it's a shame they were tied to that seizure episode.

The worst part is that the seizure-inducing flashes of the episode in question weren't even caused by Porygon, they were caused by Pikachu.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Pikachu did everything wrong.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Someone needs to tell Ash it's ok to swap out your starter

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Carbon dioxide posted:

Meh, there's no way Seyzer can evolve Porygon, and just using its base form? Eh.

I just looked Porygon up on Bulbapedia, and trade evolutions seem pretty dumb.

says the guy playing on an emulator in a way the game was never intended to be played

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Trade evolutions were actually fine back when I was in elementary and middle school and all my friends also had Gameboys and Pokemon to trade. No problem at all to find somebody willing to trade Gravelers or Kadabras. As an adult, not so much.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

You can trade with yourself on some emulators, but I'm not sure if the required upgrade item exists in FR/LG or not.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Not until post game. Zubat got a third evolution later and if you level one it will try to evolve and fail every time it levels

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

CuwiKhons posted:

Trade evolutions were actually fine back when I was in elementary and middle school and all my friends also had Gameboys and Pokemon to trade. No problem at all to find somebody willing to trade Gravelers or Kadabras. As an adult, not so much.
I think that trading actually got easier on the DS and later, due to WiFi and not having to rely on link cables to connect consoles. I owned the first two gens on Game Boy and never actually traded a single Pokemon despite having brothers who owned the other version. We just never got a link cable. When I played Platinum on DS, even though I didn't trade a whole lot, I did use the GTS a few times.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
Ironically, despite being expensive and difficult to get, Porygon is worse than both Scyther and Dratini.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Isn't Porygon made in Saffron? Kind of weird it's not obtainable there.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Isn't Porygon made in Saffron? Kind of weird it's not obtainable there.

It's an experimental Pokemon so it makes sense that you can't get it except at the shady game corner.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
I guess at this point Team Rocket has already infiltrated Silph Co. through their scientists and is getting ready for its takeover.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

Truthkeeper posted:

Ironically, despite being expensive and difficult to get, Porygon is worse than both Scyther and Dratini.

It's worse than Dragonite but it'll outclass Dratini in a heartbeat, and at least it has a versatile movepool. IMO Porygon is perfectly serviceable if you're not taking it into PVP.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.

Bible Ian Black posted:

It's worse than Dragonite but it'll outclass Dratini in a heartbeat, and at least it has a versatile movepool. IMO Porygon is perfectly serviceable if you're not taking it into PVP.

Sure, but who doesn't evolve Dratini? I'll give you that it has a decent movepool though.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
The World's Worst Gangsters

First things first, I buy another 500 coins and go back to the slots. After about 20 minutes or so...

We have enough coins to buy this eel-seaworm thing.

serefin99 posted:

You're a madman/woman/person. Also, if you get a Dratini, name him Puff and also never take him out of your party.

Right, I guess it's going to be Puff the magic god drat it that didn't register until I was typing it out just now.

Next stop, we run back to Lavender to get the Porygon's name changed.

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Porygon!! Name him Quackers, please :kimchi:

There you go!

OK, that's cute. Although it looks like Quackers only has one actual attack on him.

On our way back I accidentally charge into one of the Saffron border checkpoints while holding down frameskip. The cop on duty basically says that his tea sense is tingling and lifts it right out of your inventory, then promises to share the one cup of tea with the other four guards. I don't get how this works but I guess we can technically get to Saffron now.

Anyway, back to the gambling den, where the totally-inconspicuous Pokemon Gangster has taken it upon himself to defend this pinup poster.

I don't remember what this guy had, but it's mostly rats, bats, and greasy splats for fights throughout this update, so it was probably a Raticate or Grimer or something.

:ninja: I better tell BOSS!

And with that he runs behind the counter to the left and disappears in a thoroughly non-suspicious manner.

When we check out the Rockets' top-secret Gardevoir centerfold we find a secret button! Which reveals a secret staircase!

Which leads right into the secret Rocket lair! Good thing they had a guard there to draw our attention to it! :thumbsup:

The hideout has a bunch of Rocket guys in it. This first one is placed such that you can just walk around him! :downs:

Kat isn't getting any useful information from this place, and I don't think she fully understands why she's here. I know I don't.

Buddy, you didn't exactly make it difficult.

I guess that's one way to describe it. I'm feeding experience into Noodle the Ekans for the time being, incidentally.

:nallears:

This guy was standing by the right wall, at least, so that I have to fight him to get past.

Okay, I guess they might have a couple Drowzees as well.

It still ends easily enough for me.

It's kinda hard not to, pal.

Blueprints! They mean nothing!

And there's a locked gate keeping us from reaching the south end of the first floor.

Moving down to the second floor, this guy drops an actually useful bit of information (I think we heard this back in Lavender, but the fact that it's coming up again here would seem significant.)

I give him an atomic wedgie until he begs for mercy.

At which point he just starts coughing up all kinds of information about his own base! The Rocket base! The base I'm currently invading!

Of course he doesn't tell me anything about the nightmarish maze of one-way floors behind him.

Actually it's a little more than that - when you step on one you continue sliding in that direction until you hit one of the light-colored patches of floor. It's not too hard to navigate, although it'd be pretty aggravating to do this if there were random encounters to deal with.

Right away we find a Moon Stone! I really ought to do something with one of these. Someday.

:frogsiren: The lights, they mean nothing.

The floor-panel maze leads to the south end of the level, where we find a locked and unusable elevator, as well as a staircase to the upper floor, which we take to one of the inaccessible parts of B1F.

:ninja: Think you can reach the BOSS?

Upstairs we have some more worthless laptops and secret blueprints, as well as a couple more Rockets.

Oh dear, it certainly won't.

:ninja: But you can't run the elevator without the LIFT KEY.

Seriously, these guys do realize that I'm an intruder, right? That I'm not supposed to be here and they should be keeping me out?

One more guy in the inaccessible area of the first floor at least seems to recognize what's going on, even if he can't actually stop me.

He also knows enough to be tight-lipped. I'm almost impressed.

Back downstairs, through the maze, and then down another floor to B3F...

We find an infernal machine.

And guards!

STOP RIGHT THERE DO-GOODER SCUM okay fine go ahead

The left side of B3F is another floor maze, this time with an enemy standing in it.

I'm getting the distinct impression that villainy is more of a hobby for these guys and they don't actually care too much.

:c00l:

Down more stairs to B4F, and apparently we're just introducing ourselves to the Rockets now with "Mister, I'm lost, can you help me?" And it's working.

Well, sort of working. They still try to attack me. Also Noodle learned another non-damaging move. :flaccid:

At this point the guy craps out a Pokeball right behind him, which you can walk around and collect without him commenting. :effort:

We can take the elevator back up to B1F...

...Which has a Rocketeer who at least has some proper villain dialogue. Beating him causes a nearby shortcut to the surface to open up, all by itself.

Random nutritional supplements out of nowhere.

And finally, down the elevator to B4F, we have another door, guarded by the only people in Team Rocket who read the reports from Mount Moon. I'm honestly a little surprised we made that much of an impression, given that it was the only time we've tangled with them.

I've been trying to use my Kadabra in combat as well, but she's pretty fragile.

I think this is the first time we've seen the Sandshrew upgrade.

Is the game implying this is actually one of the same guys we fought at Mount Moon? I'm not sure.

i honestly don't know, please tell me why i'm here :saddowns:

Until we got to the killing-Cubone-moms part in Lavender Town, Team Rocket's evil was pretty low-key, tbh.

I guess we know what Noodle's evolved form will look like. With my luck it requires a magic rock to evolve, though.

Ayayayaya!

"I'm sorry I failed you, let me open the door!"

Okay, this guy looks like a proper villain.

:moreevil:TEAM ROCKET captures POKEMON from around the world. They're important tools for keeping our criminal enterprise going.

:moreevil:For your insolence, you will feel a world of pain!

Finally, the... don? of Team Rocket? Il capo di tutti capi and all that?

About this time I realize that I didn't take any Fighting Mons with me.

Az's Metal Claw is really the only thing able to make a dent in the Onix.

This is new, and it doesn't look like an evolution of anything we know, either.

Let's see how it burns!

...You know, I think Az is going to go on the bench for a while after this fight.

And third, we have a kangaroo lizard Khan thing.

Flamethrower knocks off nearly all of its health, so this seems like a good time to try out our new Porygon!

:frogout:

Flounder's there to finish it off, though.

:smug:

:moreevil:A child like you would never understand what I hope to achieve. I shall step aside this time!

I'm an adult and I still have no idea what he's hoping to achieve. :iiam:

Giovanni just sort of evaporates after giving us this line.

And now we lead Team Rocket! Man, this sofa is comfortable.

Also Giovanni dropped this, which I guess is retroactively the entire reason we came here.

Next time it looks like we go back to Lavender Town and finish climbing the Pokemon tower, unless there's a lot of demand for me to go to Saffron instead.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
who the hell voted 5 on this thread

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Just fyi. All of gio's pokemon are weak to water. So yeah...

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

bunnyofdoom posted:

Just fyi. All of gio's pokemon are weak to water. So yeah...

I still don't have any water moves besides splash :saddowns:

Malah
May 18, 2015

hold up is that a shiny dratini :catstare:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Malah posted:

Naw, Shiny Dratini is pink.

Also Quackers :qq:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Malah posted:

No, he was purple instead of blue in this particular generation.

(A shiny Pokemon has an alternative colour scheme and sparkles when it appears, they're extremely rare and we'll all freak out if you catch one)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malah
May 18, 2015

I just remember that little dragon worm being blue and I was more than a little taken back. False alarm!