Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

It might as well be a mobile game at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Garcia's Ghost
Jul 26, 2001

Lots of fun reading in this thread. Some of it has already been discussed here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/shroudoftheavatar/comments/f0srn1/looking_for_people_who_invested_money_into_sota/

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Dementropy posted:

I want to buy some but I don't know which to get, it doesn't say BEST VALUE on any of them??

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

That lady is the former chief of Massively and I think she runs MassivelyOP now. I doubt she is working on a hard hitting investigative piece but at least someone is finally taking a look at some one of these games that has basically devolved into scams. Maybe, just maybe shell do some good work and a major publication will actually take notice.

Or shell write a fluff piece that only serves to further fuel this style of scam. Itll probably be this, wont it?

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

CoffeeBooze posted:

That lady is the former chief of Massively and I think she runs MassivelyOP now. I doubt she is working on a hard hitting investigative piece but at least someone is finally taking a look at some one of these games that has basically devolved into scams. Maybe, just maybe shell do some good work and a major publication will actually take notice.

Or shell write a fluff piece that only serves to further fuel this style of scam. Itll probably be this, wont it?

It's not exactly like MassivelyOP has given Shroud of the Avatar a pass in the past. In fact, they've been rather critical.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Dementropy posted:

It's not exactly like MassivelyOP has given Shroud of the Avatar a pass in the past. In fact, they've been rather critical.

A video game journalistic website being critical? Aghast! How dreadful, how dare they not feeding the endless hype machine!

/satire

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Dementropy posted:

No """""BEST VALUE""""" tag plastered all over the 10750 bundle. This company even sucks at grifting.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Lord British is on to the next great idea!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08xTgpq3bWo

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Just imagine the sponsorship deals!

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

someone challenged richard garriott to make an even lamer and worse designed segway and he crushed it

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Honestly y’all could of just looked at who the op of this thread was and assumed it was gonna be trash.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Rhymenoserous posted:

Honestly y’all could of just looked at who the op of this thread was and assumed it was gonna be trash.

we got lum the mad to post itt, then we got him to apologize for posting it was pretty boss

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I don't think they understand the concept of surfing.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Im pretty sure he just wants something he cann roll around on at SXSW that will get people to look at him. Making it into another fake business venture is just a handy way to get a tax writeoff.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
lol the video is private now

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

But the GIF lives forever.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Looks like a game asset.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Too bad the gif didn't capture that glorious rat tail

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Dementropy posted:

But the GIF lives forever.

Also it’s not a real invention it’s just a new body to put around a onewheel

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Does British’s rat tail go into his jacket when he’s carving concrete?

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
When I play Final Fantasy, I like to think that's the rat tail I turn in for the class promotion quest.

So powerful.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Oriental Hugs
Jun 15, 2001

Nothin' about hugs, though
How the hell do you spend 6 figures on this game.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

What good is Garriott's blood if you can't have ALL of it?

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Ho ho ho! I'll have the same again!
Nap Ghost

Oriental Hugs posted:

Very carelessly.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Time for a boar hunt;

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I forgot this game exists. I absolutely have to give major props and credit for a 2nd straight year. This game just won't die despite all odds.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Oriental Hugs posted:

I realize that there are people with six figures worth of disposable income, and I realize there are nerds who are very, very obsessed with gaming. But, I would imagine the Venn diagram of the two resembles a pair of glasses.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Have you ever heard of Star Citizen, friend?

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Yeah, nerds can make that much & are way less likely than normal people on the same income to have families to support, other hobbies or mental health. it only takes a few 40yr old men with animetars & rich saudi kids.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What is it about Shroud of the Avatar though that is making rich people pump a lot of money into it? It's a terrible game on every conceivable level. is it us that are in fact wrong about it and this game is actually brilliant?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

richard garriot

that's it

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Rotten Red Rod posted:

richard garriot

that's it
eh, I think its a lot more than that

when land claims and titles went in during the kickstarter, there was a not so subtle push to monetize all of it, including real money trading (RMT) of virtual items

the kickstarter rewards of getting your face into the game or paintings of you around town were dropped to facilitate more land grabs and title rewards (mostly those titles allowed you to own more land)

but who cares about more land, right? well, the dumb fucks in charge said you'll be able to charge rent and taxes on any land you own, and that can then be turned into real loving currency. not some in game poo poo, but USD or that weird british pound or the euro or whatever the gently caress you wanted

there was absolutely the push towards higher tiers because at the time, bitcoin and blockchain currency was still a huge and upcoming thing for stupid loving people. I think the kickstarter was 2012 or so, almost a loving decade back and a ton of poo poo has changed since then (well not for loving stupid people, but still)

anyway, much like star citizen, the whole "our initial investment will be worth 10x in just a few years" was extremely strong with shroud and some people did make bank offa stupid loving people for awhile

now the game is spinning in its own grave as the dedicated pallbearers continue to drop a few hundo a month into an open casket

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

richard garriot

that's it

Basically this. Back in the eighties, the Ultima series were very good games, and a lot of people got into them, so it stands to reason that 1% of fans really, really, REALLY enjoyed them. They now have coding or engineering jobs, and most have Gotten Lives, but a few of them still really, really love Ultima and Lord British. Thanks to the nintey-nine rule that's all you need.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

All of those may be reasons from earlier on in the games development. At this point I think it is 100% pure strain sunk cost bias at work.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

I said come in! posted:

What is it about Shroud of the Avatar though that is making rich people pump a lot of money into it? It's a terrible game on every conceivable level. is it us that are in fact wrong about it and this game is actually brilliant?

Well, um, you see, you can have dance parties in it, and that's pretty much it

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Node posted:

Well, um, you see, you can have dance parties in it, and that's pretty much it

It worked for Biodome so why not here?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

TheAgent posted:

eh, I think its a lot more than that

Oh christ. It's Ultima loving Project Entropia.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Bieeanshee posted:

Oh christ. It's Ultima loving Project Entropia.

Lol he's actually been involved in a Entropia thing as an "advisor": https://neverdie.com/

I still don't really understand what Project Entropia is.

Edit: And this game (SOTA) was supposed to be a vehicle for a virtual currency:
https://www.coinspeaker.com/neverdie-creates-interoperable-teleport-token-use-across-vr-worlds-create-gamified-virtual-reality-jobs/
and https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?p=75010
and https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/walkthrough-of-ethereum-neverdie-block-chain-token-purchase.95921/

Teleport Token is currently being integrated in popular games such as Shroud of the Avatar with plans to integrate into many of VR’s most popular games going forward.

Didn't happen, but, yeah, this kind of scam is extremely Garriott's poo poo

Tweets from Garriott talking about his (abandoned) plans to incorporate virtual currencies in SOTA:

https://twitter.com/RichardGarriott/status/890026952538587136

https://twitter.com/RichardGarriott/status/890036205563281410

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Entropia is just an MMO where you can turn in-game money into real life money. All of it depended on there being a large playerbase of rich idiots to pour money into the game and for the company running it to be able to pay up when someone wanted to cash out. During the height of its popularity, you could have made some actual money off rich idiots playing it.