Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hiddenriverninja posted:

Just saw MHA: Heroes Rising and thought it was great. What I'm looking for is anime with great team-up mechanics; none of this Naruto or Bleach one on one or lone savior bullshit. I need characters working in concert, understanding each other's abilities and just getting poo poo done together. Any recs?
Jojo's part 5 has a good amount of this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

thanks for the recommendations, everyone!

PastaBakeWizard
Mar 4, 2020
I'm about to run out of Dr. Stone. Anything else out there with that co-operative, getting-poo poo-done atmosphere?
Failing that, my favourites are Stone, Kobayashi's Dragon Maid and Jojo's, Part 4 (1, 2 & 3 are also great and I'm coming around to liking 5, I think?), Kill la Kill and Evangelion. I get that I just listed a bunch of reasonably entry level crowd favourites but go wild. Mould me into the weeb you want to see.

Additionally a friend showed me one of the Gundam movies and I didn't realise that they had the more down-to-earth drama aspect, I sort of thought they were big robot fights all the time. What's the best Gundam entry for that aspect?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PastaBakeWizard posted:

I'm about to run out of Dr. Stone. Anything else out there with that co-operative, getting-poo poo-done atmosphere?
Failing that, my favourites are Stone, Kobayashi's Dragon Maid and Jojo's, Part 4 (1, 2 & 3 are also great and I'm coming around to liking 5, I think?), Kill la Kill and Evangelion. I get that I just listed a bunch of reasonably entry level crowd favourites but go wild. Mould me into the weeb you want to see.

Cells at Work is where you should go next. Incidentally the dub for it is fantastic :allears:. You also also watch Nichijou, Pop Team Epic, and Kaguya-Sama.

PastaBakeWizard posted:

Additionally a friend showed me one of the Gundam movies and I didn't realise that they had the more down-to-earth drama aspect, I sort of thought they were big robot fights all the time. What's the best Gundam entry for that aspect?

Iron-Blooded Orphans or the first season of Gundam 00 is what you want for this. Both also has some fantastic robot fights too. Also if you want good sci-fi drama in general, Legend of Galactic Heroes: Die Neue These is remake of the original show and really good. It's still ongoing, with a long ways to go, but it's 24 episodes in so far.

PastaBakeWizard
Mar 4, 2020

Neddy Seagoon posted:

snipped for brevity
Thanks for all the recommendations captain! And your username has reminded me I need to listen to The Goon Show again.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

PastaBakeWizard posted:

which gundam movie?

also the clear and obvious answer is gundam 0080: war in the pocket

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

PastaBakeWizard posted:

The previous page had a good bit of recs for a similar request to yours if you wanna take a look there too.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

PastaBakeWizard posted:

If being a member of close street gang/wizard mafia counts as co-operative then Dorohedoro is very good.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

PastaBakeWizard posted:

Maybe try Mob Psycho 100 or The Promised Neverland

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

PastaBakeWizard posted:

turn-a gundam has robot fights but most of the show is a mix of drama and weird offbeat comedy and it has an episode where they just use the turn-a gundam's missile docks to transport cows and do laundry

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

PastaBakeWizard posted:

Turn-A Gundam has both the things you want here.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

PastaBakeWizard posted:

Turn-A Gundam is going to be the best choice by far.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Hello thread! It's that time again. I'm looking for a new show to pick up. Maybe you've got some recommendations for me.

Shows I enjoyed:
Puella Magi Madoka Magica (well, duh. Perfect blend of incredibly cruel twists, characters in a downward spiral, and the best use of time travel I've ever seen)
FLCL
One Punch man (1st season... hooooooo boy it looks FANTASTIC)
Land of the Lustrous (utterly alien, great action, fantastically depressing)
Blood Battle Blockade (fantastic absolutely-everything-exists-and-is-terrifying world, wonderfully dark humour)
Kaiba (melancholic and terrifying while looking cartooney as heck)
Ping-Pong (I absolutely do not care about sports shows, but this one is just stylish to no end, with some really satisfying character arcs)
Michiko to Hatchin (great fun. I remember the episode with the hitmen on the highway especially well)
Space Dandy (gorgeous show, lots of crazy scifi stuff. I love these absolute idiots)
Birdy the Mighty (mostly due to the 2nd season. I'd heard people praise S2, so I powered through S1; I had no idea just HOW fantastic it is, the finale really stuck with me. Totally worth the bland S1, totally unexpected)
Baccano! (admittedly, I feel like this show can basically not be watched twice, because I feel like it gains so much from that wonderful feel of a thousand puzzle pieces being thrown at you until it somehow makes sense... I think I just like shows that overwhelm you with multiple frantically changing plots presented in a stylish manner)

Shows I really hated:
Re-Zero (I'm a sucker for time travel of all sorts, but I kinda hated the MC with a passion... Also looked like very generic fantasy universe)
Darling in the Franxxx (to be honest, I really liked the first half, but that's why the utter failure of the second half stings that much more - horrible character arcs, wasted potential everywhere, and an insultingly unearned lesson everyone spouts at the end)
Steins;Gate (this specific brand of humour did not work on me. At all. Plus, most characters were just plain annoying)
Violet Evergarden
Attack on Titan (somehow, I thought this was way worse than as a manga. Felt extremely melodramatic)
Durarara (watched this because of Baccano, didn't feel like it had the same charm. The highschoolers sucked)

I do plan on watching all of Jojo eventually, and I'm really enjoying Eizouken which is ongoing right now... Sadly, the new Madoka show seems rather generic and disappointing, I might just drop that one. :/

Any ideas?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Is there anything in particular you are looking for right now?

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Hunt11 posted:

Is there anything in particular you are looking for right now?

Not anything in particular, I'm open to trying new stuff. Looking at my list, I guess I mostly like sad/terrifying stuff in unusual settings, the more stylish the better. Bonus points if there's mystery/utter confusion at the start.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

From the New World is all of that, and not on the list surprisingly

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Since you have enjoyed Kaiba, Ping-Pong, and Eizouken, I see no reason why you wouldn't have a great time just hitting up everything else Masaaki Yuasa has directed. I suggest hitting up Tatami Galaxy & Mind Game in particular.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Torquemadras posted:

Not anything in particular, I'm open to trying new stuff. Looking at my list, I guess I mostly like sad/terrifying stuff in unusual settings, the more stylish the better. Bonus points if there's mystery/utter confusion at the start.

Maybe try Girls' Last Tour? Its default mood is pretty lowkey, but it's set against an incredibly, inherently sad and scary backdrop and spends a lot of time playing with the tension between its fairly whimsical default mood and its bleak setting.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

In terms of recent shows i'd definitely reccomend Beastars and Dorohedoro.

Girl's Last Tour might be another solid pick. And if you liked One Punch Man I'd definitely reccomend Mob Psycho 100, by the same mangaka, though it takes a couple of episodes to pick up in my opinion.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Torquemadras posted:

Baccano! (admittedly, I feel like this show can basically not be watched twice, because I feel like it gains so much from that wonderful feel of a thousand puzzle pieces being thrown at you until it somehow makes sense... I think I just like shows that overwhelm you with multiple frantically changing plots presented in a stylish manner)
concrete revolutio?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Torquemadras posted:

seconding From the New World, and while it's a little more upbeat you'd probably enjoy the currently-airing Dorohedoro as well

e: also literally just watch anything by Masaaki Yuasa, he directed Kaiba and his entire body of work is fantastic. you cannot go wrong

Kemonozume and Devilman Crybaby are good for the mixture of terror and sadness

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Mar 8, 2020

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Julias posted:

In terms of recent shows i'd definitely reccomend Beastars and Dorohedoro.

Girl's Last Tour might be another solid pick. And if you liked One Punch Man I'd definitely reccomend Mob Psycho 100, by the same mangaka, though it takes a couple of episodes to pick up in my opinion.

I've actually heard of Dorohedoro before! Posted right alongside everybody else when the last few manga chapters wrapped up. No idea how they could get that style to work in animation, but I'll check it out. And Beastars, too. I THINK I got started on From the New World some time back, but I think I bounced off of it pretty fast - I think I got to an early episode where a holographic slug kept throwing exposition at kids? That may just be the infamous bad episode people kept mentioning in this thread, maybe it gets better.

I know absolutely nothing about Girl's Last Tour, so clearly that means I have to watch it now immediately. :v:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
From the New World finishes great but it definitely has some weak points

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

RabidWeasel posted:

I could never get back into it post-timeskip. I’ve tried a couple times but from what I remember, the way some of the characters change was super offputting and the story got super boring.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

RabidWeasel posted:

yeah, some of the winter stuff has some really obvious click and drag animation going on on a rewatch, though the first time I watched it I was into the story enough that it didn't distract me

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

So I jumped on that Jin Patreon... does anyone know a good way to read this on patreon? It's not especially straightforward.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Beastars is wildly loving good. I'm blown away tbh and i'm watching the dub ffs

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
I'm trying to get my recently retired mom into anime. She likes science fiction and fantasy (Star Wars, Star Trek, Lord of the Rings, etc.), among other things, and she strongly prefers dubs over subs. I of course gave her Cowboy Bebop to start with, but they don't have Hulu and I guess it's only available there right now.

Anything jump out at you guys as an easy suggestion? I don't watch dubs so I really have no clue which are good (aside from Bebop).

Among whatever other series I/you guys can come up with, I'll probably give her a sampling of good movies (like Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Tokyo Godfathers, Your Name) since I think they typically have good dubs.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

runawayturtles posted:

I'm trying to get my recently retired mom into anime. She likes science fiction and fantasy (Star Wars, Star Trek, Lord of the Rings, etc.), among other things, and she strongly prefers dubs over subs. I of course gave her Cowboy Bebop to start with, but they don't have Hulu and I guess it's only available there right now.

Anything jump out at you guys as an easy suggestion? I don't watch dubs so I really have no clue which are good (aside from Bebop).

Among whatever other series I/you guys can come up with, I'll probably give her a sampling of good movies (like Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Tokyo Godfathers, Your Name) since I think they typically have good dubs.

Last Exile has pretty good dub

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

space blazers 2199

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

runawayturtles posted:

Maquia, Weathering With You are good fantasy stories IMO, and A Silent Voice is an incredible movie with a fantastic dub.

As far as long-form TV stuff....maaaaaybe Big O?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'd say try Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex with her. It's got one of the best dubs out there, and is generally an outstanding sci-fi cyberpunk procedural show. The second season is also pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D522fRIFfhI&hd=1

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Moribito

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

runawayturtles posted:

Lodoss War, Outlaw Star, most anything by Miyazaki.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Second this

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Cool, thanks. I thought of GitS:SAC also but wasn't sure about the dub quality, glad it's good. Moribito is a good idea; I wanted to suggest 12 Kingdoms, but it's really not good at hooking most people, so I wasn't sure she'd stick with it. A Silent Voice is a good pick too, she'll cry her eyes out. Speaking of which, if I want to be really brutal, I could suggest Wolf Children and make her cry for 2 hours straight.

edit: How's the Psycho-Pass dub? Probably also a decent pick.

runawayturtles fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 15, 2020

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

runawayturtles posted:

Cool, thanks. I thought of GitS:SAC also but wasn't sure about the dub quality, glad it's good. Moribito is a good idea; I wanted to suggest 12 Kingdoms, but it's really not good at hooking most people, so I wasn't sure she'd stick with it. A Silent Voice is a good pick too, she'll cry her eyes out. Speaking of which, if I want to be really brutal, I could suggest Wolf Children and make her cry for 2 hours straight.

edit: How's the Psycho-Pass dub? Probably also a decent pick.

The Psycho-Pass dub I watched on Netflix wasn't bad at all.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

runawayturtles posted:

Not sure about the dub but 12 Kingdoms is a great fantasy series

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Wolf children is wonderful but do be prepared to comfort her afterwards, haven't seen my mom ugly cry like that in a long long time. She loved it but it really hit her hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
looking for a comfy and lighthearted anime to liquefy my brain so i don't keel over of stress about the world