Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Verisimilidude posted:

I've had the F. Dick offset knife for almost 5 years now and it's still going strong. I use it for bread and (more often) breaking down butternut squash and it's still perfect.

https://www.amazon.com/F-8505518-Pro-Dynamic-Offset-Utility/dp/B07DR8VXPT/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=f+dick+bread+knife&qid=1581736819&sr=8-4

Alternatively, I'm sure this Mercer knife for a third of the price will be perfectly fine, though not nearly as ridged and sturdy as the F. Dick.

https://www.amazon.com/Mercer-Culinary-M23890WBH-Millennia-9-Inch/dp/B01F35UKJW/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=f+dick+bread+knife&qid=1581736883&sr=8-6

I like that Mercer knows their target audience. "Serrated is too pro chef jargony! We'll call it a 'wavy edge' knife!"

As is the answer to all "what's a reasonably priced X knife" questions, the Victorinox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Do you guys bother sharpening your bread knives? How would you do that? I whetstone sharpen my other knives and I'm just curious.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I hone it, I don’t know how one can sharpen a serrated blade

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Steve Yun posted:

I hone it, I don’t know how one can sharpen a serrated blade

The EdgeSharp belt sharpeners can do it, apparently, though I’ve never tried to do it with mine.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

VelociBacon posted:

Do you guys bother sharpening your bread knives? How would you do that? I whetstone sharpen my other knives and I'm just curious.

They’re usually so cheap that you can save yourself a lot of hassle by just replacing them when they’re too dull to cut effectively. $20-30 is worth it for something that’ll last 3+ years. They’re possible to sharpen, but it seems like a lot of work.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

VelociBacon posted:

I use my regular knife. We have a bread knife but it makes so many crumbs.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

wormil posted:

I use my regular knife. We have a bread knife but it makes so many crumbs.

You need a new one. Unless your bread crust is crazy dry a bread knife that's sharp prevents most of that.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I have the Wusthof version of this that seems to be discontinued and it rocks. Doesn't shoot crumbs all over the place.

I'm sure the mercer one is just as good and like $14 instead of $50.
https://www.amazon.com/Mercer-Culinary-M23210-Millennia-10-Inch/dp/B000PS1HS6/

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Croatoan posted:

You need a new one. Unless your bread crust is crazy dry a bread knife that's sharp prevents most of that.

The knife is sharp but the serrations make crumbs whereas a sharp chef's knife cuts more cleanly.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009

Doom Rooster posted:

I like that Mercer knows their target audience. "Serrated is too pro chef jargony! We'll call it a 'wavy edge' knife!"

As is the answer to all "what's a reasonably priced X knife" questions, the Victorinox.

Ive been using 10.25 inch version of the victorinox (the one with the rounded tip and slightly offset blade) and it is a really great knife.

The serrations are not super deep but very sharp, making it easy to saw through tough bread crusts without getting caught in the irregular surface. The sharpness and the narrow blade lead to very little tearing when cutting through the actual crumb. Also the long blade helps with the sawing action so you don’t need much pressure and don’t flatten your bread or cake.

Shittier serrated knives i used before often had really aggressive “spiky” serrations which would get caught in something like a day old baguette crust and the cuts from slipping would be the worst.

wormil posted:

The knife is sharp but the serrations make crumbs whereas a sharp chef's knife cuts more cleanly.

Yeah but how do you saw through a tough surface without flattening the soft interior that way? I get it for sandwich bread or cake, but fresh sourdough?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

a very sharp knife won't crush

the very sharp knife won't be very sharp for long though

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Just leave the chips in your knives so you always have serration when you need it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I mean, I really don't have any issues cutting bread with a chef's knife. If the crust is very hard and smooth it might need a jab to get started or sometimes I just start from the side.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
My mom bought this microwave lid shaped like a pig with nostril holes that blow out steam. Needless to say I’m struggling with whether I should steal it from her

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Man I want one for my main skillet, that's adorable.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
You mean this one on Amazon?

https://www.amazon.com/Marna-Piggy-Microwave-Plate-Cover/dp/B007XHTEJ6

E: wait that one is plastic, the silicone one is at https://www.amazon.com/Pig-Cooking-Lid-in-White/dp/B007XHTCIY

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Feb 23, 2020

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
One of my favorite lids that I have!

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Croatoan posted:

Unless you’re cutting bread that’s fresh out of the oven you should just use a sharp knife (no serrations) not a bread knife. That’s what Murray Carter told me anyway, and it’s served me well.

I’m pretty sure he says he just grinds off the blade to get rid of serrations, treating them like blade chips.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
What's the best brand for a large skillet that won't warp on a glass cooktop? I want something at least 14 inches in diameter. Material doesn't matter per se, aluminum or steel are fine as long as it doesn't warp. Don't care about price, I want something that I'll use for years and years, and I'm willing to pay for it. I have an All-Clad 14" skillet but after a couple of years use it's starting to develop a warp, and I also have a 16" All-Clad paella pan that I would otherwise love but it's got a serious warp to it. (Also I hate the All-Clad handle shape so if there's something out there that doesn't dig into you like that stupid U-shape does, that'd be great).

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Lodge

I’m under the impression that all steel/aluminum pans are gonna warp a little if you use them on high heat often. The only way to fight that is to have a ridiculously thick pan, which means cast iron

Old Koreans are terrified of browning on food because they think it will cause cancer. That’s why mom always cooks with the stove on medium or below and why none of her pans are warped

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Mar 1, 2020

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
I tried a Lodge cast-iron pan years ago and warped it horribly on the first usage. And I don't spray them with cold water after usage or anything like that, I know that's terrible for them, this was just on a glass-top burner. If I had a gas stove then a little warp wouldn't matter, I expect, but on glass it does.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
yeah i found that pans warp really fast if you move them from high to low heat too fast. I havent had warping issues since I've started allowing a few minutes for pans to cool down on their own before rinsing them.

EDIT: this is probably well known and wont solve all warping issues, I use all clad mostly.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
Yes, I let them cool by air before cleaning them, but the Lodge pan in particular warped while heating up, I remember it distinctly because it was such a profound warp. Maybe if I turned the burner up bit by bit it would avoid it, but if I can buy a pan that is actually solid enough to not warp with the way I like to use it, then that's what I'll do.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Kylaer posted:

Yes, I let them cool by air before cleaning them, but the Lodge pan in particular warped while heating up, I remember it distinctly because it was such a profound warp. Maybe if I turned the burner up bit by bit it would avoid it, but if I can buy a pan that is actually solid enough to not warp with the way I like to use it, then that's what I'll do.

There was something wrong with the pan, then. There is no good reason that a brand new cast iron should warp on heat up even if your burner is industrial-grade.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Taking a wild guess, I'd say you are putting cold pans on high heat to get them hot very fast. Most pans, cast especially, are not perfectly homogeneous so you get hot spots that can lead to warping. Happened to me in a cast iron skillet. Now I warm skillets gradually over medium heat or in the oven and then turn up the heat and haven't had any more pans warp.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

wormil posted:

Taking a wild guess, I'd say you are putting cold pans on high heat to get them hot very fast. Most pans, cast especially, are not perfectly homogeneous so you get hot spots that can lead to warping. Happened to me in a cast iron skillet. Now I warm skillets gradually over medium heat or in the oven and then turn up the heat and haven't had any more pans warp.

Yep, that's exactly what I'm doing. Is there such a thing as a pan sturdy enough to resist this treatment or am I just stuck with either warped pans or slowly warming my pans?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Just go to 60% for a minute before max heat and you'll be fine.

E: or go cast iron

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Kylaer posted:

Yep, that's exactly what I'm doing. Is there such a thing as a pan sturdy enough to resist this treatment or am I just stuck with either warped pans or slowly warming my pans?

America's Test Kitchen did a review where they abused the poo poo out of pans, it's on YouTube. I'd look it up but I'm mobile.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Pepper grinder chat came up a while ago
Just FYI goon favorite Unicorn Magnum is back in stock at Amazon I just got a 2nd one for our dining room table.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Thumposaurus posted:

Pepper grinder chat came up a while ago
Just FYI goon favorite Unicorn Magnum is back in stock at Amazon I just got a 2nd one for our dining room table.

Really happy with my Peugot Paris mill also, the adjustable grind comes in really handy and it just feels fantastic in the hand.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Pepper Grinder Knobfeel™️

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The magnum feels good but I would not recommend it unless you've used it and are ok with its output. Its finest setting is extremely coarse, like "this pepper is crunchy" coarse.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

It’s a lot of pepper to take, if you’re not prepared

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

No Wave posted:

The magnum feels good but I would not recommend it unless you've used it and are ok with its output. Its finest setting is extremely coarse, like "this pepper is crunchy" coarse.

This is exactly why I haven’t bought one. I NEED a super fine grind, and the Peugeot Paris does an amazing job at that.

I do wish there was an electric grinder that would do the job faster though. :(

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

No Wave posted:

I’ve had mine for like 6 years and this has not been my experience. It’s not powder, but definitely not crunchy. The pepper still completely disappears into whatever I use it in.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

It's partially a function of the peppercorn you're grinding I'd have to think. Really tough ones are going to get chunked up and bigger pieces are going to get through vs peppercorn that breaks down easily.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

VelociBacon posted:

Really happy with my Peugot Paris mill also, the adjustable grind comes in really handy and it just feels fantastic in the hand.

Hed posted:

Pepper Grinder Knobfeel™️

1redflag posted:

It's a lot of pepper to take, if you're not prepared

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAFGEBdeDNk

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
I got a Peugeot to replace some crappy electric grinder I had and it was like I had never put pepper on my food before.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

wormil posted:

Maybe it's because electric stoves heat up so much more slowly and I've never had gas, but it seems wild to me that you could do that to a non-defective pan. My main cast iron pan is an old Griswold though. I've done, like, everything you're not supposed to do to cast iron to that pan though, short of putting it in the dishwasher (that I can remember), and it's still perfect.

I watched in horror last year as my girlfriend slightly warped my brand new All-Clad by taking it off a too-hot burner and putting it right under cold running water because she didn't want to set the smoke alarm off (It's a Nest, you just walk over and push the button before it gets loud. I get a monthly email telling me how many times I seared steak).

Is Tramontina still like a top tier nonstick skillet? I don't like the T-Fal I bought last year. Zwilling was my other thought since I watch too many Bon Appetit videos and that's what they use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Stangg posted:

I got a Peugeot to replace some crappy electric grinder I had and it was like I had never put pepper on my food before.

I got a pair from my FIL for my birthday or christmas one year. It is one of those products I never put the money into myself because they were expensive, hyped, and "just a mill". I love them so much and don't think any product has ever lived up to the hype as much, in or out of the kitchen.

Having said that I am probably going to pick up a unicorn too because sometimes I need to use a ton of pepper and don't want to grind for 2 minutes. Or I want to have different peppers ready to use.