Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I went to look at it because I was in the area and haggled a little bit just to see what they’d do. Tax tag and fees were just under 3k and they wouldn’t budge because the bike was already discounted. No biggie but I do think an SV650 is going to happen in the next year or so.

Also one of the salesmen said he liked the R3 because it doesn’t take much to make it a 300mph bike. I assume he means dropping it from a high altitude balloon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Rolo posted:

Also one of the salesmen said he liked the R3 because it doesn’t take much to make it a 300mph bike. I assume he means dropping it from a high altitude balloon.

You could strap it onto a top fuel car probably.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Rolo posted:

I went to look at it because I was in the area and haggled a little bit just to see what they’d do. Tax tag and fees were just under 3k and they wouldn’t budge because the bike was already discounted. No biggie but I do think an SV650 is going to happen in the next year or so.

I am misunderstanding. Taxes, registration, etc., on a 6k bike are 3k, or that’s somehow the out the door price?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Rolo posted:

Are you sure you didn't misunderstand him? I didn't think it was possible to be that full of poo poo but maybe stuff like that is how you turn bike sales to 11.

moxieman posted:

Just buy it and don’t be an idiot and keep your current bike too.

Good luck not being an idiot when launching from a light feels like being shot out of a gun and all the blood rushes out of your brain.

And God help you if you put a supertrapp on it because then it's like doing a line every time you wack open the throttle.

Source: starting on an sv650 and also years later riding one when I was used to a ninja 250.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

The Euro 4 mufflers are kinda gross I have to say.

Otherwise great looking bike.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Toe Rag posted:

I am misunderstanding. Taxes, registration, etc., on a 6k bike are 3k, or that’s somehow the out the door price?

The first thing. Bike price was marked from 8 thousand down to 6 with an out the door price of “8 to 10” according to the sales guy who wouldn’t just name a specific number. Roughly 50% charge for tax, title and about 5 other expensive sales nouns. I’ve passed on this dealer before for not being able to just give me a number when I was actually in the market so I wasn’t expecting more than a small talk and me leaving.

They asked about my bike and when I said it was a 2019 R3 ABS they offered me 1,000 in trade bucks for it.

Coydog posted:

Are you sure you didn't misunderstand him? I didn't think it was possible to be that full of poo poo but maybe stuff like that is how you turn bike sales to 11.

He named a lot of bikes that don’t exist and pointed to a few that weren’t the model he called them.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 6, 2020

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

My buddy tried to buy a FZ-07 from one of the big dealers in LA, but all the dealer fees and crap were going to add something like 2 or 3k so he said gently caress it and bought private party. Seems insane to me, but I guess that happens?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yeah that's crazy. I bought my bike from the only Honda dealer in the city, and the only fee they charged me was $300 to assemble/prep the bike, which I feel should be covered in the delivery fee, but I was more concerned with getting a bike at the time.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

california is a poo poo hole

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

Being an effective salesman has a directly inverse relationship with knowing anything about the product in pretty much every industry AFAIK. Can't feel bad about lying if you don't know you're lying.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Slavvy posted:

Being an effective salesman has a directly inverse relationship with knowing anything about the product in pretty much every industry AFAIK. Can't feel bad about lying if you don't know you're lying.

Another dude was talking to a mom and her son about how the CB650R is a great first bike for a kid.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
What!? 650 is much too big of a number for a first-timer, get that kid a nice sedate CBR600 instead :v:

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
I mean maybe it's just California being California, but dealer fees on my bike were a total of 350, and tag and title was another 500. (Maryland title, dealer was in VA)

Sounds like a poo poo dealer though.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Mirconium posted:

Sounds like a poo poo dealer though.

They have a big showroom so I like to go but it’s a weird sales environment. They don’t want to tell me the number to write on a check while I’m in the showroom sitting on the bike and they definitely won’t talk anything money over the phone. It just turns into a back and forth of “so you’ll buy today” and “it depends on the total cost” rinse repeat. I end up getting sketched out before leaving.

I can only assume they want the handshake, a credit check and financing paperwork over someone’s head before saying “oh by the way there’s fees everyone has to pay that we added into your monthly. Don’t worry it’s only 20 bucks.”

Rolo fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 6, 2020

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I was extremely suspicious of my salesman when I bought my MT-07 but it turned out the OTD number he quoted me via text was actually the OTD price on the paperwork when I showed up, and even the finance guy was reasonable after I told him no a couple times on the typical add-ons. So it ~can~ happen.

of course I contacted like ten or twelve other dealers to find those guys so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Yeah, but I'm saying that TruCoat. You don't get it, you get oxidation problems. It'll cost you a heck of a lot more than $500.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Gorson posted:

Yeah, but I'm saying that TruCoat. You don't get it, you get oxidation problems. It'll cost you a heck of a lot more than $500.

I'd love to load some dealer staff into a wood chipper, oh yaah.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Since this thread has a lot of knowledge concerning the SV, what's the deal with cartridges for the front fork? Are there recommended products? Also do people usually touch the rear suspension too?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Oooooof there's a 2003 SV650s near me with only 11k km for only 2k canadian.. and i can't afford it :negative:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well not with that attitude you cant

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
https://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/mcy/d/new-port-richey-custom-street-legal/7088089270.html

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Man if this forum needed a mascot

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I’m the boat trailer wheels with bearing buddies on them.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I’m the boat trailer wheels with bearing buddies on them.
The boat trailer wheels are for parking/stopping I think. The original rear wheel is still there.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Nitrox posted:

The boat trailer wheels are for parking/stopping I think. The original rear wheel is still there.

I would guess that it's so stretched that as a practical matter it won't turn like a bike anymore.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

You can't put your feet down from inside the rocket fairing, so I guess that's why they're there.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Should have used a goldwing. Now he can't even duckwalk back.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

I don't care what anyone says this is loving awesome.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Irritable Knievel

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
"The whole motorcycle is inside the rocket so it's easy to service" - how does adding additional bodywork that wasn't there in the first place make it easier to service? Am I missing something?

Also digging how he twisted the supports for the training wheels because flat steel straps weren't weak enough before he torched + viced them

Gorson posted:

I don't care what anyone says this is loving awesome.

Sure, if you only ever ride it in parades

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Jazzzzz posted:

"The whole motorcycle is inside the rocket so it's easy to service" - how does adding additional bodywork that wasn't there in the first place make it easier to service? Am I missing something?

Also digging how he twisted the supports for the training wheels because flat steel straps weren't weak enough before he torched + viced them

Sure, if you only ever ride it in parades

Easier to service than an actual rocket. Duh.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Street legal loops it back around to awesome.

11/10 would launch myself directly into a swamp on that thing.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Why does a rocket need exhaust pipes? It would only have been cool had he routed the exhaust through the rocket and made it shoot flames.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Verman posted:

Why does a rocket need exhaust pipes? It would only have been cool had he routed the exhaust through the rocket and made it shoot flames.

It’s for the turbo

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Cycle Asylum > "Tell me what bike to buy!" The whole motorcycle is inside the rocket so it's easy to service.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
I got a couple quotes on left over 2019 Z400's, and they' coming out in the $5.5-6k range out the door, which has me balking a bit. I really don't think I care for more bike, but for that price I'm tempted by some other bikes with ABS.

Here's a 2016 Z800 for $4k - https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/3822962124396482/

or a 2017 Z650 for $4.4k - https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/245297179755377/

I'm committed to ABS, I think, or I'd go a completely direction and try to look at this Sportster - https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/533921690485571/

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
never ridden one but Z800s on paper look like miserable piles of poo poo, heavy as gently caress without the horsepower to back it up. a z900 is better in every way

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Razzled posted:

never ridden one but Z800s on paper look like miserable piles of poo poo, heavy as gently caress without the horsepower to back it up. a z900 is better in every way

This is 100% correct.

The 400 and 650 are the only bikes worth considering in that scenario. The newer 650's have a linkage rear which has gone a looong way toward bringing it into this century, the engine is slightly more punchy than the older ones but still nothing amazing. I still don't really see why you would want one over an mt07 (same thing but better in every way) or SV (same thing but much more exciting).

I've never ridden a 400 but they are utterly magic by all accounts.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
I figured the 800 was poo poo, but I figured I'd list it in case I was wrong.

I'd definitely consider an MT-07 or SV-650, but I haven't seen one with ABS under $5k. Also, I owned a 2001 SV and thought the flat torque curve was really boring.

On paper the Z400 seems like a great fit. I am seeing used Ninja 400's in my price range. I'm not doing track days and prefer to be more upright, but maybe I should consider them if I don't want to pay full price for the Z.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The fuel injected SV’s have a bit of a different power curve than the carbed ones.

But yeah no v-twin that isn’t a two stroke will have a big surge of power like an in-line 4. The mt-07 is imagine would be the same although I haven’t ridden one