Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I love Energy Orb

Finding it in the first level is a huge blessing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Useful Distraction
Jan 11, 2006
not a pyramid scheme
So the one and only time I picked Teleportitis as my first perk, when I got damaged in the coal pits it placed me back in the mines. I'm guessing that's a bug and it's only supposed to place you in a nearby location like teleportatium or that teleport spell enemies cast on you, right? Otherwise it would make that perk even more useless than it already is.

Also here's a secret pro strat (or at least the few streamers I watched didn't know): when you edit your wands in-between levels, you can double-click the spells in the wands to have them placed in your inventory without dragging and dropping.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I think as long as you're near the top of the coal pits it ought to be able to dump you into the mines. Teleportitis has a pretty long range as I recall. You should be able to go back through a portal to get into the Holy Mountain, though you'll need some way to dig out the rubble from the earthquake spell. And watch out for desecration damage in the perk zone, though as I recall the rest of the temple should be safe.

Useful Distraction posted:

Also here's a secret pro strat (or at least the few streamers I watched didn't know): when you edit your wands in-between levels, you can double-click the spells in the wands to have them placed in your inventory without dragging and dropping.

God drat it.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Teleportatium tends to send you in the direction your cursor is pointed in. Not all the time, though.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Speaking of weird things with mouse UI, it's pretty obvious that you can drop wands by opening your inventory and dragging from the slot to anywhere else on the screen. The position of the cursor determines the trajectory of the wand, though mostly that changes where on the floor it lands.

What isn't obvious is that you can drop a wand so that it gets stuck inside terrain by dropping it upwards into a ceiling. You can still reach the wand to pick it up (usually) but enemies are far less likely to grab it and nuke you.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

also pictured: bug with wand radar

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Found a sodium flask today. Mixing with water creates explosions. Interesting.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I wonder if it turns into salt if you spray it at that green gas in the fungal caves.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Cardiovorax posted:

I wonder if it turns into salt if you spray it at that green gas in the fungal caves.

Who knows, what else it mixes with. The easy one was water, but I'm sure there might be others.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Mix it with blood to create high pressure

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Oh yeah, Thunder Explosion is great. I had a run once where I was a lightning mage and the first temple had the explosion immunity perk. I just slapped Thunder Explosion directly on a wand and wandered around exploding at enemies. It was shockingly effective.

:haw:

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Futaba Anzu posted:

Mix it with blood to create high pressure

goddamnit

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
The game seems kinda cool from what I've seen but:

Has anyone made a mod to eliminate those horrible looking spiders or something, they make my skin crawl.
Does the game run kinda laggy for anyone else?
Have the devs said how far along they consider it? Like is it "mostly done" at this point?
Lastly does the game really crash and start a new instance whenever you start a new game intentionally?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Cuntellectual posted:

Does the game run kinda laggy for anyone else?
Not particularly, no. The game is a real CPU hog, so you should check whether you have any bottlenecks there. Normally, the game is very smooth and responsive except for those times where you really fill your screen with particle effects.

Cuntellectual posted:

Lastly does the game really crash and start a new instance whenever you start a new game intentionally?
Currently, the game will close itself (not crash) when you start a new game, yes. The game was only released into EA late last year and there's still constant improvements to content and engine being made, so I imagine that this isn't going to be a permanent state of affairs.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Cuntellectual posted:

Have the devs said how far along they consider it? Like is it "mostly done" at this point?

It’s on the steam page.

quote:

Why Early Access?
“TLDR: Right now Noita is already really fun to play and has dozens of hours of content. Early Access allows us to get important feedback to make the game even better.

Noita is a physics-based rogue-lite, and rogue-lite games generally benefit from additional content updates. The game is also being made with a custom engine (Falling Everything Engine), and even though the game is fairly stable we haven't been able to test every permutation due to the highly emergent nature of the game. For the same reason we're really excited to see how the players will exploit the game systems.”

Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?

“We're currently estimating that the game would be in Early Access for about a year.”

How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?

“The full version will be more polished and have more content. Essentially the full version will be a more refined version; there shouldn't be any drastic changes or fundamental differences. For example, the full version might have a larger variety of enemies/items/areas.”
What is the current state of the Early Access version?

“The game is playable and is polished to a nearly-finished state up to a certain point in the game's progression. Past that point game elements are a bit less polished. A functional final boss and ending exists, but they lack polish and testing.”

How are you planning on involving the Community in your development process?

“We're looking for feedback from players so that we can fix bugs, design issues and so on. We're interested in seeing how the gameplay experience changes as players get better at the game, and adjust the game to our best capability so that the experience stays interesting for both new and more experienced players.”

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
Havent played the game in a few months. Picked up a new wand with lotsa colorful spells in it that I didn't recognize, there were like ten of them in one wand, decided to give it a spin!

cool and good!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure I die more often from the ceiling collapse effect of nukes than from the actual explosion.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

and they patched out worm health bars being physics objects, boo

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I had a really nice setup. Fire, explosion, and electric immunities; lightning bolts, dual-trigger spark bolts...

Except one of the loving spiders in the jungle decided to come up through the floor and Mr. Bones showed up. :cripes:

I made it past the Vault, but I only managed to get off the ride with 2 HP. Needless to say I did not live for long in the ToTA.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Got a really nice setup, a wand with a bunch of those little blue bubbles and a ridiculous fire rate, homing shots, fire/sludge/melee immunity... 685 max HP too. Everything else has been a breeze, so I just have to get through ToTA and I finally get a wi--

https://i.imgur.com/IXQmHah.mp4

god damnit

Zamujasa fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Mar 4, 2020

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
In a zone that's chock full of a lot of awful poo poo, those white wizards are easily the worst loving thing in Temple of the Art. Even if you leave them alone they just follow you all over the place and try to jump into crossfire so they can laser you to death.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Protip: thrown tablets will one-shot them. Always carry one specifically for them.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

I Said No posted:

In a zone that's chock full of a lot of awful poo poo, those white wizards are easily the worst loving thing in Temple of the Art. Even if you leave them alone they just follow you all over the place and try to jump into crossfire so they can laser you to death.

I had no idea that was their gimmick until after I died and looked up the enemy name. :cripes:

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

fun challenge: dynamite only.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
After 44 hours I have completed the game for the first time.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Zesty posted:

After 44 hours I have completed the game for the first time.

Now get all the alternate endings.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I had an alternate ending in each and every single playthrough. Always ending in my death though.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I've never beat this game. 70 hours.

I recently summoned a wand that threw eggs at everything and summoned so many buddies they killed me.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
76 hours and no wins, but I am dumb enough to enjoy playing on the controller more.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
drat, and I thought I was bad for playing 12 hours and never getting farther than the area with the big spiders. Can people who have "mastered" the game beat it consistently even with the RNG aspect of needing good spells/wands? Enter the Gungeon probably took me about ~60 hours of play before I beat it the first time but now I'm confident I could beat it without trouble on a fresh save file.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

I've played over a hundred easy without as single win, but i like being brazen and dumb and pushing my luck and not taking things slow.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

FunkyFjord posted:

I've played over a hundred easy without as single win, but i like being brazen and dumb and pushing my luck and not taking things slow.

Going slow doesn't always help you out either, because it's nearly impossible to recover damage outside of progress. Even picking up max-HP boosts doesn't give a boost to your actual HP. So every mistake quickly adds up.

From what I can tell watching people who stream it, RNG still plays a big role, but generally wins do get more consistent.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I feel like the problem with consistency is that if you want to win consistently, you do a lot of fairly boring/repetitive things and try to go for reliable strategies. It's more interesting to do stupid, dangerous stuff. I know my consistency is crap at least in part because I always take Glass Cannon when it's available, I throw around nukes with wild abandon (the initial explosion has only killed me once, but the ceiling rubble has gotten me many a time), I love to raid the temple off of the snow caves, etc.

That's not saying that I think I could win consistently if I didn't do that stuff, necessarily, but I'd have a much higher win rate.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
The one thing that never fails to disappoint me is how all the good, fun stuff is hidden deeper, so to actually play with most of it you have to survive the boring top half. I've seen enough wands with only "Rain Cloud (10)" to last a lifetime. :geno:

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I'm on a three win streak with the self-imposed rules being no orb rooms (or dark heart), no backtracking, and no reusing holy mountains for wand editing.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
I never play without edit wands anywhere which makes the game a ton of fun building wands on the fly while exploring. One of my last three runs lasted 3 hours and I enjoy all of it. I don't even bother trying to beat the main game anymore but build ridiculous wands to destroy everyone.

I am trying to figure out the best setup for a build with glass cannon so you can survive every level.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Hamelekim posted:

I never play without edit wands anywhere which makes the game a ton of fun building wands on the fly while exploring.

This is pretty loving essential. It makes the mines much less of a slog when you can screw around with wands in it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Hamelekim posted:

I am trying to figure out the best setup for a build with glass cannon so you can survive every level.

I think the god-tier would be something like:

Have the Explosion Immunity and Homing Shots perks.

Wand with the "projectile goes through terrain" as an Always Cast.

Then just stack projectile speed, slime/alcohol cloud, and the "explosion on drunk/slimed enemies" modifiers.

It's a homing death cloud that goes through walls and explodes massively. You don't even need the "giant explosion" versions (though of course nothing is stopping you from making an alcoholic homing nuclear death cloud) because Glass Cannon is so ridiculous already.

The big problem is the reflection spirits; if they get LOS on you you're in deep poo poo unless you have a more selective means of killing things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

A good basic strategy is to beeline down to the next Holy Mountain, clear out anything in the immediate vicinity, then explore from there, returning when you get low on health