Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Cleretic posted:

Outside of the general dings some people have against most gaming journalism outlets ('bad at games', lingering gamergate chuds, bias either real or perceived, some people just REALLY getting an axe to grind about their favorite genres/series, so on and so forth), Kotaku was the first to go pretty big on non-gaming subjects, doing a lot on Japanese culture and cosplay. So there's still people that get mad that they're Not Real Gamers for that, despite them doing fantastic gaming journalism and other outlets following suit because it turns out diversifying their subject matter worked really well.

Thanks for the slice of helpful information on gamer animosity. As I read your post I realized that I might've gotten Kotaku and Polygon mixed up. Is there any chance that you have any info on them as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

RareAcumen posted:

Thanks for the slice of helpful information on gamer animosity. As I read your post I realized that I might've gotten Kotaku and Polygon mixed up. Is there any chance that you have any info on them as well?

Polygon's basically the other big gaming outlet that realized 'hey, we can get somewhere by doing things that aren't just Gaming Journalism'. That started with the McElroys and Monster Factory, which led to a really strong video team that's still their big thing setting them apart (currently their big series is Unraveled, which I think started as a parody of YouTube lore videos that then got its own very weird personality). There were some videos of them playing the start of new games that had WEIRDLY terrible gameplay, though. Most famously Doom, but there's also 'not figuring out Cuphead's tutorial'.

People's response to them is mostly just Kotaku Lite, though; they're more constantly gaming-focused, have less history to throw at them, and people were now used to the notion of gaming outlets doing other things anyway, so it's not really as vicious.

EDIT: Oh yeah. They also hired Nick Robinson who made a bunch of videos for them, only to fire him the moment it came out he was a giant sex pest. I don't think anyone truly holds hiring him against them, but there's probably some real poo poo people mad about them firing him.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 10:04 on Mar 6, 2020

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

https://twitter.com/jsmooth995/status/1235788534067482624

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

If people need some video proof

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1235805267167604736?s=20

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

https://twitter.com/SpicyFurryTakes/status/1235838317909774337

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Isn’t that an old joke on Twitter at this point? I swear I’ve seen something nearly identical but for a different billionaire a year or so ago.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

But you gently caress one dog...

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Proteus Jones posted:

Isn’t that an old joke on Twitter at this point? I swear I’ve seen something nearly identical but for a different billionaire a year or so ago.

It was for one of the big lotto jackpots.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Based on the comment, I thought this was going to be the guy dropping the n-bomb because he ran out of ammo in his fps.

I was very wrong.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Yeah firing his gun off in steam is pretty quaint compared to what streamers get up to.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

what the gently caress is even going on with streaming, I am relatively old and I don't get it and why is this person who ostensibly plays video games while strangers chat at him and give him money (to which: ?!?!??!?!) sitting there babbling like a hack comedian who just watched a 20/20 segment about that "gangster rap" and loving around with a loaded gun

I wouldn't watch this brainwormed nonsense even if I were drifting through space in an escape pod with zero hope of human contact

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

Polygon is just a bit up its own arse at the times. Most of the journalists are great and the standard of writing it fine, but they do annoying stylistic stuff like writing all their reviews in the first person present tense. Also they occasionally put out weird navel-gazing stuff like this: https://www.polygon.com/2015/6/1/8687867/rock-band-4-preview

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Pastry of the Year posted:

what the gently caress is even going on with streaming, I am relatively old and I don't get it and why is this person who ostensibly plays video games while strangers chat at him and give him money (to which: ?!?!??!?!) sitting there babbling like a hack comedian who just watched a 20/20 segment about that "gangster rap" and loving around with a loaded gun

I wouldn't watch this brainwormed nonsense even if I were drifting through space in an escape pod with zero hope of human contact

Parasocial relationships are the name of the game. Literally, for a lot of youtube and streamer content, it's main draw is a pseudo-friendship with a person/group of people.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Outside of the general dings some people have against most gaming journalism outlets ('bad at games', lingering gamergate chuds, bias either real or perceived, some people just REALLY getting an axe to grind about their favorite genres/series, so on and so forth), Kotaku was the first to go pretty big on non-gaming subjects, doing a lot on Japanese culture and cosplay. So there's still people that get mad that they're Not Real Gamers for that, despite them doing fantastic gaming journalism and other outlets following suit because it turns out diversifying their subject matter worked really well.

I'm not sure I would describe articles about how great lolicon is, with illustrations, is "fantastic gaming journalism", do you work for Kotaku yourself?
Also everything that Brian Ashcraft ever wrote about Japan (does he still work there? I have no idea) is wrong, which is infuriating when people take his words as accurate

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

I am relatively old
there's your problem

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

I think if you grew up playing games as a social activity and taking turns it's not that weird. I remember my dad saying "you are going to watch someone play someone elses records"?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

hyperhazard posted:

Based on the comment, I thought this was going to be the guy dropping the n-bomb because he ran out of ammo in his fps.

I was very wrong.

I mean, ammo did end up being the problem.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

ookiimarukochan posted:

I'm not sure I would describe articles about how great lolicon is, with illustrations, is "fantastic gaming journalism", do you work for Kotaku yourself?
Also everything that Brian Ashcraft ever wrote about Japan (does he still work there? I have no idea) is wrong, which is infuriating when people take his words as accurate

I more meant stuff like their semi-recent work on the sexism at Riot Games. Kotaku's developed into sort of a similar structure to how Buzzfeed came out with weirdly solid political reporting (at least for a while, I'm not sure if they still do), with the shallow clickbait-y stuff bringing in money that lets them do serious journalistic work. It feels weird, but chances are if you're reading about actually thoughtful or investigative journalism about video games these days, there is a weirdly high chance that the original article is from Kotaku, sandwiched between cosplay reports and a random artist portfolio.

Brian Ashcraft still works there, but it seems that his 'hey guys, Japan' writings have ended up on other sites or in books, because most of his recent Kotaku writing is actual, y'know. News.

EDIT: Of course this is all contingent on Gizmodo Group not imploding because of incompetent leadership. That's thrown a wrench into things lately.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 15:27 on Mar 6, 2020

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
This primary seasons is creating the weirdest takes:
https://twitter.com/KiachaDeDodo/status/1235905387594952705

Will she be clarifying this?
https://twitter.com/KiachaDeDodo/status/1235935621677490182

Guess not!

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Already gone I think.

Edit; zowie

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Jippa posted:

I think if you grew up playing games as a social activity and taking turns it's not that weird. I remember my dad saying "you are going to watch someone play someone elses records"?

When playing games as a social activity you have to do it with your friends, and if you're not even taking turns they'd have to be pretty entertaining or a really good friend. On the internet you can pick anyone you want. Like, if you could magically hang out with anyone IRL and watch them play games, why would you go sit in Joe Shitheel's basement when you could be hanging out with someone smart, funny, and pleasant to be around? That's what confuses me, but I'm old too and it's probably just the internet loving with peoples brains because humans aren't built to handle that many effortless social options.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

You should meet one of my former co-workers. He was a socially awkward, but acted cocky as poo poo to try and hide it. I tried to befriend the kid (he was in his early 20s) a bunch of times, but he was just straight up irritating and massively opinionated. He kept having problems socializing and nobody wanted to be around him because of how alienating his behavior was.

I know that's seems like a lot of irrelevant info, but bear with me. We were in the office the week before Christmas and it was dead with no paper work to catch up on. I noticed he was watching some stream on Twitch and starting talking to him about it. He explained that you could vote with money to decide what karaoke songs would be on stream and bragged about putting down something like $50 in the last hour or so. I just kinda smiled and assumed I had heard him wrong and moved on.

The week after, he started talking to me about a tabletop game I play called Killteam. It's a small skirmish game with models and dice. He told me the same group of streamers was playing Killteam the night before. I talked to him a bit about the game and he informed me that viewers could donate to add enemies to the board and make it harder for either team. Specifically, you could drop an big unit on the board for $100. I flat out laughed and said that was loving stupid. He was so visibly offended that after trying to defend it, he stormed off to his desk and didn't talk to me for the rest of the day. He probably did it once or twice if his reaction was anything to go by.

Moral of the story: streamers are purchasable internet friends that people use as social crutches. They end up identifying with a streamer's success seeing it as their own success as well since it was the donations that made it happen.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Jippa posted:

While taking drugs, dad.

About a decade ago I realized there’s nothing more tedious than watching someone else playing video games and since then an entire industry has been made out of it. Baffling, but hey.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

d3lness posted:

You should meet one of my former co-workers. He was a socially awkward, but acted cocky as poo poo to try and hide it. I tried to befriend the kid (he was in his early 20s) a bunch of times, but he was just straight up irritating and massively opinionated. He kept having problems socializing and nobody wanted to be around him because of how alienating his behavior was.

I know that's seems like a lot of irrelevant info, but bear with me. We were in the office the week before Christmas and it was dead with no paper work to catch up on. I noticed he was watching some stream on Twitch and starting talking to him about it. He explained that you could vote with money to decide what karaoke songs would be on stream and bragged about putting down something like $50 in the last hour or so. I just kinda smiled and assumed I had heard him wrong and moved on.

The week after, he started talking to me about a tabletop game I play called Killteam. It's a small skirmish game with models and dice. He told me the same group of streamers was playing Killteam the night before. I talked to him a bit about the game and he informed me that viewers could donate to add enemies to the board and make it harder for either team. Specifically, you could drop an big unit on the board for $100. I flat out laughed and said that was loving stupid. He was so visibly offended that after trying to defend it, he stormed off to his desk and didn't talk to me for the rest of the day. He probably did it once or twice if his reaction was anything to go by.

Moral of the story: streamers are purchasable internet friends that people use as social crutches. They end up identifying with a streamer's success seeing it as their own success as well since it was the donations that made it happen.

I watch some Twitch streamers on a regular basis, not all of them are money-grubbers like this, but some of them do do it for some of their living. I usually stop at subscribing to their channels. If they have a small enough viewer base and they have good attitude it can just be fun.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I watch some Twitch streamers on a regular basis, not all of them are money-grubbers like this, but some of them do do it for some of their living. I usually stop at subscribing to their channels. If they have a small enough viewer base and they have good attitude it can just be fun.

Doing it for a living is fine and there are plenty of streamers that are cool about it. Those people are uncommon. I more just wanted to highlight the kind of people that get way too into streamers. Streamers who are okay with taking advantage of others with mental issues should be sent to Mars to die with Musk and his ilk.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Memento posted:

https://twitter.com/sabrmattrics/status/1235794190975537152

Matt here isn't the idiot.

loving "what's so sad about Sandy Hook" guy can get in the loving bin

Marty B loving rules I wish he didn’t consistently delete his tweets

As the people who hate him are usually the lowest scum

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Syd Midnight posted:

When playing games as a social activity you have to do it with your friends, and if you're not even taking turns they'd have to be pretty entertaining or a really good friend. On the internet you can pick anyone you want. Like, if you could magically hang out with anyone IRL and watch them play games, why would you go sit in Joe Shitheel's basement when you could be hanging out with someone smart, funny, and pleasant to be around? That's what confuses me, but I'm old too and it's probably just the internet loving with peoples brains because humans aren't built to handle that many effortless social options.

It's like this generation's version of day time radio or something. You aren't paying attention to it all the time but it's on in the background. It doesn't replace the activity itself.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Humans have watched other people do things for entertainment since ancient times. Complaining about streamers being a thing is just finding a new way to bitch about kids these days.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The biggest streamer I actually watch is Aculite, and only because he's really good at times, explains what he's doing, and is very chill about everything. When he's playing MP, a couple of his friends get a little more excited to balance it out.

Everyone else I watch are just small timers that do it for fun and are part of a community, to the point that the chatroom and streamer will have conversations because there's only like 5-20 people at any given time. I can't imagine trying to chat in a room with thousands of people and donating huge sums of money.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Sounds like chud streamers are just male findommes

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Ruffian Price posted:

Sounds like chud streamers are just male findommes

New thread title, please.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Streamers are just public access TV but successful

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Everyone else I watch are just small timers that do it for fun and are part of a community, to the point that the chatroom and streamer will have conversations because there's only like 5-20 people at any given time. I can't imagine trying to chat in a room with thousands of people and donating huge sums of money.

This is where it's at, folks I already chat with on discord or whatever, and a small enough number of people on stream that it's possible to keep up with.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Parasocial link rank up - the streamer now recognizes your name from repeated donations or a sub streak.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
When Undertale came out it was all my cousin wanted for Christmas. Wouldn't stop talking about it for weeks. When I bought it for him he was exstatic. Checked in a few weeks later to see if he'd beaten it yet..

0 hours played.
Still watching streams of it.

Kids are weird as hell, please ignore the fact that I own a child sized stack of White Dwarf magazine while not being able to name a single warham :ssh:

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Volcott posted:

Parasocial link rank up - the streamer now recognizes your name from repeated donations or a sub streak.

Too real

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Wonder what it's called when a broadcaster bleeps a curse word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
“hate crime”