Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

That's pretty close to what the goonhammer necromunda authors recommend, so it's probably decent. I don't love shotguns over lasguns on Escher, but they aren't terrible or anything.

https://www.goonhammer.com/necromunday-houses-of-the-underhive-escher/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

That's pretty close to what the goonhammer necromunda authors recommend, so it's probably decent. I don't love shotguns over lasguns on Escher, but they aren't terrible or anything.

https://www.goonhammer.com/necromunday-houses-of-the-underhive-escher/

Yeah i based it on that article pretty much. The shotgun is mainly there to get some variety with the models.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

lilljonas posted:

Yeah i based it on that article pretty much. The shotgun is mainly there to get some variety with the models.

IMO, lasguns are more reliable. Variety is nice, but when Ganger 5 rolls "Out of Ammo," (and she will,) she is going to be a useless body on the table. Personally, I'd dump the shotgun and rejigger the list a bit to get an extra body in the gang.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

berzerkmonkey posted:

IMO, lasguns are more reliable. Variety is nice, but when Ganger 5 rolls "Out of Ammo," (and she will,) she is going to be a useless body on the table. Personally, I'd dump the shotgun and rejigger the list a bit to get an extra body in the gang.

A second juve or an extra ganger? The latter kinda sounds cooler.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

lilljonas posted:

Ok, so I bought a box of Escher and also ordered a forgeworld weapon kit. The aim here is to make the Necromunda gang I never had as a teenager since nobody played Necro where I lived. Is this a decent team? I'm trying to get some use out of the weapon kit and not just make everyone too much the same. Checking here before I start to glue stuff, maybe you have some ideas how to make it more interesting. I already ditched the chem thrower idea, even though I think the weapon looks cool, due to how badly people rate it.

Leader
plasma pistol, power sword, lasgun

Champ 1
plasmagun, lasgun

Champ 2
combi-weapon, stiletto sword, chem-syth, lasgun

Ganger 1
lasgun

Ganger 2
lasgun

Ganger 3
lasgun

Ganger 4
lasgun

Ganger 5
shotgun, acid rounds

Juve
Two stub guns, dumdum bullets

Looking at it, it'd be fun to get a chainsword in there maybe? Ditch the shotgun and use the money for one on the plasmagun champ?

I would say it's a fine starting gang from a game/advantage point of view. I would say that the 2nd champ could use a pistol/2nd cc weapon to go with her stiletto sword (not sure what you mean by a combi-weapon? They only come as specific types, eg a boltgun/needler)

Escher Juves, famously, benefit from a toxin knife. It goes well with their speed to get into melee and their better WS (than their BS) - their pathetic Str doesn't matter with toxin

Lasguns are obviously a very good weapon to fit people with in a starting Escher gang, you can still get the numbers. Obviously a bit boring to have 4 identical gangers. I'd advise starting them out with that and then diversify. Some could get hotshot packs or replace with a bigger/better ranged weapon, while some could get cc weapons and pistols (toxin knives/swords, flails, chainswords, even lash whips are all good and thematic. Grenades are also a cool way for Gangers to get a bit more unique, while retaining lasguns as a bargain backup weapon.

Skills wise the Escher can make great use of Spring Up for their cc guys, with 2+ Initiative it's the best way in the game to beat pinning. Step Aside is also frequently seen paired with parry weapons. You can parry 1 attack (even 2 if you have the right weapons/skills) and step aside another on a 2+, meaning only multiple-attack high-WS models are a credible threat in cc.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

berzerkmonkey posted:

I disagree with both points here (not to be a dick, just to have a debate)

Your shotgun can reload with either of the normal ammunition types, which are rather handy weapons (solid slug shells are a great tool IMO, shorter range but much harder hitting than a lasgun with damage 2). Running out of ammo is irritating but not such a huge risk.

More importantly, having every normal ganger in the gang exactly the same because it's the most reliable option is a pretty dull way to play. I understand having a packet of lasguns in game 1 in order to start with enough bodies on the field, but 9 is enough that you can afford a bit of variety.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Take the shotgun. Shotguns are good and cool.

Corrode posted:

what you see is what you get but ain't nobody seeing the underside of your tiny plane wings
This is coward's talk.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I think on my Furies I gave them each four Skystrike missiles, and on the Fury Avengers I gave them two Skystrikes. Because it works out at the same cost per plane.

E. Nesbit
Mar 18, 2009

Eat two dicks and call me in the morning.

lilljonas posted:

Ok, so I bought a box of Escher and also ordered a forgeworld weapon kit. The aim here is to make the Necromunda gang I never had as a teenager since nobody played Necro where I lived. Is this a decent team? I'm trying to get some use out of the weapon kit and not just make everyone too much the same. Checking here before I start to glue stuff, maybe you have some ideas how to make it more interesting. I already ditched the chem thrower idea, even though I think the weapon looks cool, due to how badly people rate it.

Leader
plasma pistol, power sword, lasgun

Champ 1
plasmagun, lasgun

Champ 2
combi-weapon, stiletto sword, chem-syth, lasgun

Ganger 1
lasgun

Ganger 2
lasgun

Ganger 3
lasgun

Ganger 4
lasgun

Ganger 5
shotgun, acid rounds

Juve
Two stub guns, dumdum bullets

Looking at it, it'd be fun to get a chainsword in there maybe? Ditch the shotgun and use the money for one on the plasmagun champ?

I've gotten some hilarious kills with Kursta, my chemthrower lass. If nothing else you might scare everyone else in the campaign into wasting money on respirators on all their dudes.

But yeah, cheap gun-line backed up by 2 or 3 assassins is the essence of Escher.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

E. Nesbit posted:

I've gotten some hilarious kills with Kursta, my chemthrower lass. If nothing else you might scare everyone else in the campaign into wasting money on respirators on all their dudes.

But yeah, cheap gun-line backed up by 2 or 3 assassins is the essence of Escher.

I think my chemthrower girl got captured twice during my last campaign.

Ashcans posted:

Gosh those are nice looking ships. I considered trying to print some epic proxies through the library for it didn't seem to have the resolution, then spent 5 minutes telling myself a resin printer was totally a good idea before coming to my senses. Never occurred to me that people would be running their own print services!

Now lads, I bought an Anycubic Photon printer when it was 50% off last month. Great deal, right?

Yeah, they changed the price to the 50% off margin almost immediately afterwards. Oops.

But you know what else happened? Anycubic launched babby's first SLA printer for a sub-200 price.
https://www.anycubic.com/collections/anycubic-photon-3d-printers/products/anycubic-photon-zero?variant=32179052314755

Get this and print whatever.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Chem thrower seems pretty OK to me, I don’t get the dislike. Penalty to the Toughness test, auto Injury if they fail it, and no armour save allowed. All pretty good. It’s basically equivalent to Strength 4 against any unprepared enemy, and the extra fear to multi-wound models with good armour is excellent. Sure, Respirators are a bit of a counter but even they aren’t foolproof, and any flesh wounds suffered from longer range shooting brings their vulnerability to the gas back up.

Lack of access to Hipshooting makes it a fair bit harder to use. But Spring Up and Escher movement/initiative can be a different approach.

Squibsy fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Mar 3, 2020

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Thanks for all the input on the Escher stuff! I'm happy to hear that it's not a clear cut issue how to build them, and I might simply end up picking up a second box and go hog wild.

Merton Blask
Jun 30, 2008

So it's true! Mysterio is
gay for sex... with me?
Even if Chem Throwers weren’t hard countered by 15 credit Respirators, they’d still be in a rough place.

They’re template weapons with the Gas trait, which doesn’t cause pinning. Anybody you shoot with the thing who isn’t Seriously Injured or OoA immediately afterward is going to be already standing, ready to Aim+Shoot or Charge at you.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

That's what makes it not OP and a bit harder to use.

Unlike heavy stubber on an Overwatch dude :argh:

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

ineptmule posted:

Chem thrower seems pretty OK to me, I don’t get the dislike. Penalty to the Toughness test, auto Injury if they fail it, and no armour save allowed. All pretty good. It’s basically equivalent to Strength 4 against any unprepared enemy, and the extra fear to multi-wound models with good armour is excellent. Sure, Respirators are a bit of a counter but even they aren’t foolproof, and any flesh wounds suffered from longer range shooting brings their vulnerability to the gas back up.

Lack of access to Hipshooting makes it a fair bit harder to use. But Spring Up and Escher movement/initiative can be a different approach.

It's an odd one. Asymmetrical in a way. As you say, it circumvents multiple wounds and heavy armour, which are 2 things your opponent's leaders and champs will likely have. But no automatic pinning is a fairly major downside, and the other common template weapons have blaze which is a similarly awesome way of neutralising powerful models. It's not bad per se but there are probably better options.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I wasn't sure where to ask this, but has there been an update on the Bandai Space Marine?

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Azubah posted:

I wasn't sure where to ask this, but has there been an update on the Bandai Space Marine?

Yep:

The Malthusian
Oct 30, 2012

Didn’t another company just announce they were also making Intercessor action figures?

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Rad, thanks!

vkeios
May 7, 2007

McFarlane Toys is gonna do some Primaris marines too, including an unpainted one so you can do your chapter, and the reveal also said they’ll be doing non-marines in the future.

Hopefully they’re a bit better than what McFarlane usually releases.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Merton Blask posted:

Even if Chem Throwers weren’t hard countered by 15 credit Respirators, they’d still be in a rough place.

They’re template weapons with the Gas trait, which doesn’t cause pinning. Anybody you shoot with the thing who isn’t Seriously Injured or OoA immediately afterward is going to be already standing, ready to Aim+Shoot or Charge at you.

It’s still a 1/3 chance of causing an injury dice against a T3 model with a respirator. Calling that a hard counter is going a bit far. I agree about the pinning issue but if you make sure to use it in group activations you can follow up with other stuff to secure the situation.

I just realised that it could be used a lot like how I used to use the Van Saar Rad Gun: put respirators on the Escher fighters, charge in to pin fools down, start blasting away with the Chen thrower. Risky but fun.

Edit: Also, I think comparing pretty much any weapon effect to Blaze is going to work out unfavourably. Blaze is one of the absolute best traits in the game (I consider it broken)

Squibsy fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 3, 2020

JcDent
May 13, 2013

MK III armor action figure or gently caress off :colbert:

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

JcDent posted:

MK III armor action figure or gently caress off :colbert:

They could make it so all the solid armor plates come off so it's also a Mk II armor action figure.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Does anyone know if the Zone Mortalis Realm of Battle tiles that released with Dark Uprising are going to be coming back in-stock or if they were a release-only thing?

E: Wait, GW does all of their terrain plastics out of :china: (and they're closed so they can celebrate The Grandfather's Blessings) right? :doh:

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

Does anyone know if the Zone Mortalis Realm of Battle tiles that released with Dark Uprising are going to be coming back in-stock or if they were a release-only thing?

E: Wait, GW does all of their terrain plastics out of :china: (and they're closed so they can celebrate The Grandfather's Blessings) right? :doh:

They will be back in stock, but they want to make sure they have a good stock in place before they start selling them again.

And I think they are doing some of the newer terrain in house now.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

JcDent posted:

I think my chemthrower girl got captured twice during my last campaign.

Now lads, I bought an Anycubic Photon printer when it was 50% off last month. Great deal, right?

Yeah, they changed the price to the 50% off margin almost immediately afterwards. Oops.

But you know what else happened? Anycubic launched babby's first SLA printer for a sub-200 price.
https://www.anycubic.com/collections/anycubic-photon-3d-printers/products/anycubic-photon-zero?variant=32179052314755

This is of course not the right thread to go into a deep 3d printing conversation but I feel the relevant question here is this: Is this cheap because it’s sacrificing resolution or because it’s just a very small print volume? If the latter, I think that’s rad because the resin machines are pretty much hitting the quality of cast miniatures for most functions and we aren’t the types printing handheld or wearable props.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

It has a significantly smaller LCD screen than the Photon and Photon S, which is probably the biggest source of savings.

It is still big enough to comfortably print a couple of 28mm figures simultaneously, which is the main use case for those things anyway.

E: the resolution is significantly lower - the pixel density is a quarter of the big Photons. Yikes.

Geisladisk fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Mar 5, 2020

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

JcDent posted:

The Zero gives up a bit of (already small-ish) build volume and the resolution is almost 4 times lower (115 micron vs 47). For a bit more I'd rather go for a Mars or regular Photon. My Photon was just under $200 though it was a refurb.

Edit: missed the post above that beat me to the salient points by a country mile. It's enough build volume for 28mm, but if you want print some bigger monsters or the like that space can get tight quick.

darnon fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Mar 5, 2020

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I finished up my second warhound! Not totally happy with the stripes, but it is the first time I have done that sort of thing so I expect I will get better.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

darnon posted:

The Zero gives up a bit of (already small-ish) build volume and the resolution is almost 4 times lower (115 micron vs 47). For a bit more I'd rather go for a Mars or regular Photon. My Photon was just under $200 though it was a refurb.

Edit: missed the post above that beat me to the salient points by a country mile. It's enough build volume for 28mm, but if you want print some bigger monsters or the like that space can get tight quick.

What does that resolution difference actually mean in terms of what you can print? I understand this one is worse, but not really how much or what those resolutions mean. Is there somewhere you can see something like the same print done at different resolutions for context?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

R0ckfish posted:

I finished up my second warhound! Not totally happy with the stripes, but it is the first time I have done that sort of thing so I expect I will get better.

The trick with stripes is to use masking tape. Get some 2mm tamiya tape or something similar and some tweezers. Lay a strip at the chosen angle and then lay a second one directly next to it. Keep laying strips of tape alongside each other until you fill the panel. Peel off every other strip and you'll have perfectly spaced stripes. It'll take some practice, but it's an easy technique once you get used to it. I use it all the time on my 30k DA.

One thing to be careful of is paint collecting along the edges of the tape and forming ridges. Watch your brush placement and get as close as you can to the tape without touching it. Basically, don't slap paint all over the tape and you'll be fine.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Each layer of a print is literally an image on a screen. The photon zero is 854 x 480 and roughly 4"by 2". The regular photon and S are both 2560 x 1440 and roughly 4.5" by 2.5".

If visualizing it like a computer monitor helps, a rough equivalent (estimated mental math, so don't hold me to it too closely) would be a 480p image on an 18" monitor versus 1440p on a 20".

With as much extra crap and effort you need for resin printing, there's no way I wouldn't spend the extra $70 for the photon.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Ashcans posted:

What does that resolution difference actually mean in terms of what you can print? I understand this one is worse, but not really how much or what those resolutions mean. Is there somewhere you can see something like the same print done at different resolutions for context?

Basically it means the smallest detail the Zero can print is roughly 0.12mm across. Give or take a little depending on anti-aliasing and light bleed. Considering one of the main advantages of SLA resin printers is their print fidelity giving up a large margin to save $30-50 seems like false economy.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Thank you both, that's very helpful! The temptation of cheaper printer is high but that doesn't seem worthwhile for the trade-off, especially when I would definitely be using it for making tiny things for miniatures.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Well, I haven't managed to break my Photon classic in two weeks, even if I had major fuckups.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Halfling Hot-Pot rides again, motherfuckers!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Schadenboner posted:

Halfling Hot-Pot rides again, motherfuckers!

It's ok. But so many of the new models lack the charm of the old hand sculpted minis.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Indolent Bastard posted:

It's ok. But so many of the new models lack the charm of the old hand sculpted minis.

I'm just a sucker for abhumans and the absurdity of Ratties always especially tickled me.

:shrug:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Schadenboner posted:

I'm just a sucker for abhumans and the absurdity of Ratties always especially tickled me.

:shrug:

I'm not disagreeing. But I have big love for the 80-90s abhumans. The new ones are cool, but not as charming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

I'm not disagreeing. But I have big love for the 80-90s abhumans. The new ones are cool, but not as charming.

This is how I feel about all the old models. The new poo poo is gorgeous and technically far superior, but the old poo poo is just so... charming. I think this might just be nostalgia, though. My younger brother is in his late teens and getting into hams. I keep showing him old models that I loving love, and without fail he just thinks they look like dogshit.

I tend to kind of hate the new larger AOS models though. It seems they just can't stop sculpting and they invariably end up bloated and cluttered and way overloaded with poo poo.