Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

runawayturtles posted:

Yeah, I was actually considering going back again after my trip a year ago, but my wife upon returning would be quarantined from work for 2 weeks without pay. That would cost more than the trip itself.

And this is exactly why the US is probably gonna get the virus worse than most of Asia.

Tho Japan's current "don't test enough people and hope its better by the Olympics" strategy is pretty close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Magna Kaser posted:

And this is exactly why the US is probably gonna get the virus worse than most of Asia.

Tho Japan's current "don't test enough people and hope its better by the Olympics" strategy is pretty close.

Yup.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I'm likely facing a self-quarantine when I get back, my workplace just banned all international business travel and requested that anyone with holiday plans change their minds and stay regional.

I think the weirdest thing I experienced this trip was going into Mega Web. The building was open but everything was cordoned off. Half the lights were off but they were still playing audio recordings of cars racing. It was pretty creepy and eerie, like everyone in the world just suddenly dropped dead but the rides were still operating. It felt like I was in some kind of apocalypse movie.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

KidDynamite posted:

Kyoto is loving rad.

I really like Japanese style curry so recommend some hella good spots in Kyoto, please.

It's not really a Kyoto thing but try out soup curry if you get the chance!

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Magna Kaser posted:

Your biggest issue atm is if your home country actually gets it's poo poo together. rn the US government is doing basically negative things to combat spread and anything substantive is being done by the private sector with some companies just themselves opting to close locations or have people work from home, which i guess is the american way.

So yeah if you can deal with a 2 week quarantine or have a job that will let you work from home do it but that's honestly the biggest issue.

job? who do you think you're talking to?

as long as the gf doesn't have like audits at work she could probably deal with quarantine too. though even as far out as jan is dirt cheap (except for december), so maybe quarantine will be less of a thing by then.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

field balm posted:

It's not really a Kyoto thing but try out soup curry if you get the chance!

I tried some at this very nice place near Fushimi Inari-taisha it was loving amaze balls. Run by a very nice lady she gave us her card if anyone wants the recommendation.

I’m going to spend so much god drat money in Nishiki Market later. Any good bars around there?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
are they any goons in Kobe

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Maybe I could be persuaded… or there's a ferry from Kobe to Niihama :banjo:

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
All y'all goons are making me regret cancelling my flight. But I am from Seattle and if anywhere gets travel restricted out of the US, it will be us.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Hit up a few Izakaya last night. Highlight was Before 9 which had a really really good beer selection.

Went to A-cho arcade and today and it was a very good fun time. Going out to dinner at some expensive tempura place my wife’s co-worker bought us. Kyoto is really dope wish we weren’t flying to Okinawa so I could buy more stuff here.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Thank God for washlets huh?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

My brother's trip for April got canceled :( Heck

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

peanut posted:

My brother's trip for April got canceled :( Heck

How come?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I don't know what it says but of everything that sold out when panic buying happened in China--alcohol-based sanitizer, masks, general disinfectants, handsoap, fresh produce, etc...--toilet paper never sold out in here, lol.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Magna Kaser posted:

I don't know what it says but of everything that sold out when panic buying happened in China--alcohol-based sanitizer, masks, general disinfectants, handsoap, fresh produce, etc...--toilet paper never sold out in here, lol.

Superior bidet technology blunted the demand. :tutbutt:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Midjack posted:

Superior bidet technology blunted the demand. :tutbutt:

Bidets aren't a thing in China except when fancy people buy Japanese ones.

From my observations of A) how long dudes go from spraying diarrhea to leaving the bathroom and B) the smell on public transit, it's more that people just don't use TP much.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

His work said DON'T and US-JP flights are getting canceled. I think things are going to get real lovely in the US in the next 2 weeks.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

So like who fills all the loving vending machines?

I also don’t know what’s wrong with my broke brain but I really want to just hang at the arcade the next two days I have left in Kyoto. I’m a bad husband.

Last nights meal was at Endo Tempura and while it was really good I’m glad I didn’t pay for it. I don’t think I would seek out tempura again honestly. Speaking up which any good beef spots in downtown Kyoto y’all can recommend? Haven’t figured out dinner tonight. We’re on Karasuma-dori and don’t mind a walk.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The companies. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSHv5dZ7BiQ

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I have something to watch on the train to Osaka. Thanks!

I know this is probably the ultimate japan rear end noob question. How much would it be to install a Japanese shower room in an American home? Is it even possible?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

KidDynamite posted:

I have something to watch on the train to Osaka. Thanks!

If you search for "Japanology + subjectname" there's a decent chance they've done an episode, and a lot are up on Youtube where NHK hasn't found 'em yet. It's a great show to get deep on any random inane Japan poo poo you can think of. The convenience store episode is also interesting in the same vein, they talk about the supply chain management and how they decide what to sell at each store.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

If you search for "Japanology + subjectname" there's a decent chance they've done an episode, and a lot are up on Youtube where NHK hasn't found 'em yet. It's a great show to get deep on any random inane Japan poo poo you can think of. The convenience store episode is also interesting in the same vein, they talk about the supply chain management and how they decide what to sell at each store.

Just remember to be ready to close the video and move onto a new one when Matt Alt comes on screen.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

captkirk posted:

Just remember to be ready to close the video and move onto a new one when Matt Alt comes on screen.

Fortunately he only ruins Japanology Plus, the old Begin Japanology version of the show doesn't have him around making GBS threads up the last ten minutes.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

captkirk posted:

One too many times I thought I was watching Begin Japanology but clicked on a Plus episode by accident and didn’t really notice until I got ALT’D

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Martytoof posted:

One too many times I thought I was watching Begin Japanology but clicked on a Plus episode by accident and didn’t really notice until I got ALT’D

I do wonder if he's actually obnoxious in real life or if the show just wrote him that way.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

There are a few occasions where he clearly wasn't directed to be the Gormless Foreign Monkey that is expected in Asia and he is 1000% less annoying.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Bamboo park is loving packed. I don’t think I could handle this in non-coronavirus times.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
I've met Matt Alt a few times through translation-related events and he never came off as irritating or whatever. It sounds like he's just giving the producers what they want a la Dave Spector.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
matt alt is good, just not on japanology

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I suspect there's Matt Alt the person, and then Matt Alt the character.

I've never met the former, who I'm sure is perfectly nice, but I have been the victim of the latter.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
This pandemic is starting to impact me. That is unacceptable.

[URGENT] April Entry Ticket Sales Postponed

April entry tickets that go on sale on the 10th March 2020 will be postponed until the Ghibli Museum, Mitaka resumes operation.
Re-start of ticket sales will be announced on the museum official homepage, Twitter and LINE, and LAWSON TICKET homepage.
We apologize to our visitors who have been looking forward to visiting the Museum.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

peanut posted:

Maybe I could be persuaded… or there's a ferry from Kobe to Niihama :banjo:

oh I meant like living there, it seems to be a real possibility for us in the next few years

I've never been to Kobe, but it seems cool? i did spend a few weeks in Kyoto, Osaka and Nara, which are all right there. it seems like a great area

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I have also not really been to Kobe except to pass through but always heard it's good. Plus all of Kansai is easily accessible.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

kobe has a dope as hell bird cafe

and by dope as hell i mean just kinda pleasant and chill and cute

http://birdcafe.jp/

as seen in the original release of hatoful boyfriend

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Lol that's how the Tiki Room at Disneyland was pitched, but they decided against it when they realized the birds would be pooping on the food.

Yep, theme park animatronics were born because of bird poo poo.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Any of you shikoku goons in Tokushima?

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I've only been to Kobe a couple times, but my impression is that Kobe is to Osaka like Yokohama is to Tokyo. Which is to say it has a more port town vibe despite both being on the water, it's more heavily influenced by 19th and early 20th century Western culture, it's more compact, and the town/the people can feel more sophisticated at times.

From what I remember there isn't a whole lot to do in Kobe tourist-wise, but enough to fill a day. There's Arima Onsen, the ropeway up to Maya-san (best night view in Japan IMO), and a handful of parks and gardens. And the bridge in nearby Akashi is pretty cool if you can get on the tour that takes you to the top. So just like Yokohama is a decent day trip from Tokyo, I'd say Kobe is a decent day trip from Osaka.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Re: Tokushima
Not anyone active...

Re: Kobe
Fabulous city you should definitely do that

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I got no beef with Matt Alt. I watch his dopey segments.

I went into Animate in Ikebukuro on Saturday and it was really busy. I was looking for something specific so brought up their website, and the busy times graph on google showed it as being really slow in comparison to normal so I'm glad I didn't experience what "normal" was.

I'm home now. Both my husband and I are quarantined from work for 2 weeks. I know my work is having some financial problems so I assumed it was going to be unpaid, but I talked to my boss and I'm getting part time hours worth of pay which is fine by me, it's 10 hours less for the 2 weeks than if I was there but it's better than nothing. Husband's getting his full pay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Inquisition
Oct 26, 2006
LISTEN TO THIS SHITTY SONG BY MY SHITTY BAND! used tire.mp3

Picnic Princess posted:

I went into Animate in Ikebukuro on Saturday and it was really busy. I was looking for something specific so brought up their website, and the busy times graph on google showed it as being really slow in comparison to normal so I'm glad I didn't experience what "normal" was.

walked by last night and noticed a queue for a single gatchapon machine.

zmcnulty posted:

From what I remember there isn't a whole lot to do in Kobe tourist-wise, but enough to fill a day. There's Arima Onsen, the ropeway up to Maya-san (best night view in Japan IMO), and a handful of parks and gardens. And the bridge in nearby Akashi is pretty cool if you can get on the tour that takes you to the top. So just like Yokohama is a decent day trip from Tokyo, I'd say Kobe is a decent day trip from Osaka.

take the ropeway up maya-san, walk down, and reward yourself at the bottom with some kobe beef.