Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Gun Jam posted:

Could see it. Thing is, Rich talked in the past about including a transgender character - he's reluctant about it, since he screwed it up in the past.
(Index here, relevant comments under writing)

...holy Christ, do not read that thread. I don't know why he thought his forums were worth saving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I never read forum posts.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

PMush Perfect posted:

the perfect mod.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

PMush Perfect posted:

That's the right idea*!

*i assume, i didn't read the post to check

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

The Question IRL posted:

So not to make this an extended de-rail, but is it just me or is it kind of obvious that Minrah is supposed to be a Transgender woman?
It's not just you, I got the same impression.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

ikanreed posted:

The thing about this interpretation is that she wanted to keep whatever it was secret and at the same time was happily public about her friend being gay all in front of durkon

Speaking from first-hand experience: being extremely proud of and supportive of all your trans/queer/trans and queer friends while still being massively hung up over your own trans/queer/trans and queer identity and hush-hush about it is extremely a thing some people do.

(And by 'first-hand experience' I mean: me, that is extremely what happened to me until I was 33)

So it's hard for me to draw conclusions one way or another from that behavior.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Mar 7, 2020

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

pseudorandom name posted:

That’s why you have a conversation about how she needs to avoid Dispel Magic so her Permanent duration Polymorph Any Object stays put.

My memory is a bit fuzzy, but I thought that Polymorph Other was a permanent change, not an ongoing spell.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Gynovore posted:

My memory is a bit fuzzy, but I thought that Polymorph Other was a permanent change, not an ongoing spell.

There’s a different between a spell that creates a permanent change and a spell with Permanent duration. A Fireball spell is Instantaneous. It deals damage, which can’t be dispelled, and it can kill you, which also can be dispelled. These are lasting effects, but the spell itself is over in an instant.

A spell with a duration of Permanent, however, is an active spell. There is magic keeping the effect in place, and if it is dispelled, the effect is cancelled. Bloodfeast, the former T. Rex, is still a dinosaur, just one that has been Permanently polymorphed into a lizard. If that gets dispelled, there’s suddenly an enormous, angry carnivore on the field. If Minrah is under the effects of a similar spell, she’d be in a similar state.

Is this unnecessarily complicated? Sure. Is this D&D? Yes.

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

As a trans person, I also read Minrah as trans so it's neat to see others pick up on it as well!
Also I wish I had a belt of gender-change or a Polymorph Other spell cast on me haha :smith:

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

clockwork chaos posted:

As a trans person, I also read Minrah as trans so it's neat to see others pick up on it as well!
Also I wish I had a belt of gender-change or a Polymorph Other spell cast on me haha :smith:

Okay, fine.

*casts Polymorph Other*

You are now a small lizard.

That'll be 800 Gold.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Parahexavoctal posted:

Okay, fine.

*casts Polymorph Other*

You are now a small lizard.

That'll be 800 Gold.
You know what, I'll take it.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Ok, in order to cast an 8th level spell like Polymorph Any Object, you need a level 15 Wizard, level 16 Sorcerer, or a level 15 Cleric. How common would those be in The Order of the Stick world?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Ok, in order to cast an 8th level spell like Polymorph Any Object, you need a level 15 Wizard, level 16 Sorcerer, or a level 15 Cleric. How common would those be in The Order of the Stick world?

As common as the story needs.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

From a quick Google, in D&D edition 3.5, you'd only need a 12th-level caster to make one of those masculinity/femininity belts.

Beyond that, though, it strikes me that in a world with institutionalized, widespread magic, a spell that simply reverses the biological sex of a willing target would already exist. Somebody would've researched that by now, and if turning a dude into a newt is a 5th-level spell, I'd argue that a voluntary biology-flip spell would be no more than 3rd.

(Trying real hard to use appropriate terms here. If I screwed up, I'm sorry.)

It'd fall into that category of magic that isn't necessarily useful for an adventurer, but would naturally exist in a medium- to high fantasy world simply for the sake of utility, like prophylactic charms, permanent hair dye, mild cosmetic alterations, or industrial sanitation. Some NPC transmuter would have a shop in the middle of the nation's capital offering a big list of ways to become a whole new you, and they'd be making a mint off of the aristocracy.

Really, I think this is something we'd have agreed upon a long time ago, but the Book of Erotic Fantasy muddied the waters on this. That book was so loving weird that a generation of nerds all decided as one that we just weren't going to explicitly discuss sex or gender in D&D ever again.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I could see transforming people as being a difficult idea. If you're turning your enemies into cats, then it doesn't matter if you turn them all into the same cat, but if you're effectively performing plastic surgery then you're not going to get a lot of mileage out of turning everyone into the same woman. Providing someone a bespoke transformation safely and reliably probably takes some expertise.

Not notably more expertise than a real-life surgeon, mind, but still enough that it might be something you'd have to go to the big city for.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

You know, that's actually an interesting idea, that you'd end up with a lot of different ways to do it, ranging from the quick and dirty to the customized and personal.

Anybody who can manage a fireball might be able to pull off the version of the spell where you just end up as John/Jane Generic, a demographically average example of that species and ethnicity, but it takes a bit more if you want to customize the final version.

At that point, it does start to feel like maybe the whole spell was part of some greater project to make golems or something, and now you're butting up against cyberpunk themes.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Wanderer posted:

Really, I think this is something we'd have agreed upon a long time ago, but the Book of Erotic Fantasy muddied the waters on this. That book was so loving weird that a generation of nerds all decided as one that we just weren't going to explicitly discuss sex or gender in D&D ever again.

LOL this has full color photography.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Casting Polymorph Other comes with a character editor from an Elder Scrolls game. Hope the caster you went to isn't having an off-day and just set everything to max.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

nimby posted:

Casting Polymorph Other comes with a character editor from an Elder Scrolls game. Hope the caster you went to isn't having an off-day and just set everything to max.

Way ahead of ya

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Polymorph Other isn't in 3.5e.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Didn't it literally happen to Bloodfeast in the comic? That might have been Baleful Polymorph but they're pretty much the same for this purpose...

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Tenebrais posted:

Didn't it literally happen to Bloodfeast in the comic? That might have been Baleful Polymorph but they're pretty much the same for this purpose...

It was Baleful.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Polymorph is a spell that specifically affects other willing creatures, Baleful Polymorph is for unwilling creatures, and Alter Self lets you change yourself. They all have a time limit and aren't able to be cast with permanency though.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Robviously posted:

Polymorph is a spell that specifically affects other willing creatures, Baleful Polymorph is for unwilling creatures, and Alter Self lets you change yourself. They all have a time limit and aren't able to be cast with permanency though.
Baleful Polymorph is quite permanent, so at least the lizard thing is doable (as long as you don't mind having a lizard brain after the first day.)

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Baleful Polymorph is permanent, but it makes you Small and has a lot of negative side effects.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

nimby posted:

Does the giant breasts mod count as metamagic?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

It is. And for trans characters it'd be perfect, being such a minute change in the comparative scope of the spell.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Speaking of the book of erotic fantasy. It has a 2nd level cleric and 3rd level wizard/sorcerer spell to "reverse" a target's gender for 1hour/level. Sadly no permanent version but the description text mentions that its often used with permanency (whatever that is). Yes I just looked it up and conveniently right before I was about to take a shower anyway.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Permanency is a spell to make durations permanent.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Alter self is a level 2 spell, but requires concentration and only lasts for an hour. You could home brew something up to make it permanent with a bit of downtime / research.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Who What Now posted:

Permanency is a spell to make durations permanent.
Neat, thank you. I was suspecting some kind of metamagic. :)

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The Bee posted:

It is. And for trans characters it'd be perfect, being such a minute change in the comparative scope of the spell.

This is a link to Polymorph Any Object, which is what I said in the first place.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

blastron posted:

A spell with a duration of Permanent, however, is an active spell. There is magic keeping the effect in place, and if it is dispelled, the effect is cancelled. Bloodfeast, the former T. Rex, is still a dinosaur, just one that has been Permanently polymorphed into a lizard. If that gets dispelled, there’s suddenly an enormous, angry carnivore on the field. If Minrah is under the effects of a similar spell, she’d be in a similar state.

Okay, I thought it was the other way around.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Ed Greenwood, for all of his creepiness, had always imagined the Forgotten Realms as a place where people could easily change gender with the aid of magic and did so often, so it wasn't a big deal. He addressed it on Facebook during the Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear controversy. He had wanted to include more stuff about alternate sexualities in the lore but TSR/WOTC always shot him own.

So it has always been there, and is an integral part of the Realms. With that said, I've never met a gamer yet who doesn't tinker with every adventure to "make it their own" at their own gaming table, so if trans, LGBT, or sexual matters at all don't suit your tastes and needs in your gaming sessions, leave it out or change it.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

You know, as a kid reading the novels, I never thought Ed Greenwood was that bad.

Douglas Niles was always the FR author who really got my eyebrows raised.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Ed seems like the free love kind of person; considering all the orgies his self-insert got involved with.

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Ed Greenwood, for all of his creepiness, had always imagined the Forgotten Realms as a place where people could easily change gender with the aid of magic and did so often, so it wasn't a big deal. He addressed it on Facebook during the Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear controversy. He had wanted to include more stuff about alternate sexualities in the lore but TSR/WOTC always shot him own.

In one of the first Elminster novels, he had Mystra literally turn Elminster into a woman for a few years in order to teach him/ her what it was like. So he's been pretty consistent with that aspect of things at least for a while.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

bigpolar posted:

In one of the first Elminster novels, he had Mystra literally turn Elminster into a woman for a few years in order to teach him/ her what it was like. So he's been pretty consistent with that aspect of things at least for a while.

It was still kinda creepy and sexist in that 80s fantasy author way though.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Wanderer posted:

Douglas Niles was always the FR author who really got my eyebrows raised.

Dude is straight up racist. It's really obvious in his Dragonlance work, The Rise of Solamnia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I hope Rich doesn't have corona.