Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Some factions, like Greenskins and Wood Elves, can't trade at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Azran posted:

I still find it odd that Norsca can trade but Greenskins cant.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Azran posted:

They totally can, they offer beatdowns and in exchange they get gold.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

So, sorry to come barging in like this, but I've been sort of away from this game since around last spring or something. Anyone care to give a rundown on what's changed since then, and what sort of new stuff and what it's about?

Also how's the mods looking, I think last I was playing I was using Lucky's Overhaul and some graphics stuff. Situation changed any since then?

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 6, 2020

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

you should buy every dlc

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

There has to be a direct route from your capital to theirs, either by road or if you both have a port. Land trade routes cannot cross another faction's territory, meaning you can only trade via land with a faction that you neighbor.

Hmmm, that would explain it. Basically every neighboring province either got raided to hell by Beastmen (Ostermark, Rib Peaks and Zhufbar have no cities left so nobody to trade with there) or - for the human ones - got confederated and I haven't actually seen the Empire's capital yet so I can't trade with them. And everyone else is behind the Empire or one of the two remaining other neighbors I have that hate me (Averland - who I'm currently beating down - and Karak Kadrin).

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Randarkman posted:

So, sorry to come barging in like this, but I've been sort of away from this game since around last spring or something. Anyone care to give a rundown on what's changed since then, and what sort of new stuff and what it's about?
Turn times hella fast now

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Repanse - sick
Snicksthtch - sick
Skaven - sick

empire got a campaign rework
bunch of flc lords i haven't tried (Gore Rock etc)

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

albany academy posted:

Repanse - sick
Snicksthtch - sick
Skaven - sick

empire got a campaign rework
bunch of flc lords i haven't tried (Gore Rock etc)

Oh! This has me tickled! Anywhere I can read about the details?

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I still find it odd that Norsca can trade but Greenskins cant.

A lot of norscans aren't chaos crazed mutants or psychotic murderers, they're just men from a harsh land, they raid and pillage sure, but they 're also explorers, merchants (pretty fair ones at that) and some even visit and walk around the empire for work as mercs, bodyguards, etc. It depends on the tribe really, the southern ones are more chill while the ones nearest to the Chaos Wastes are more hostile.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Randarkman posted:

Oh! This has me tickled! Anywhere I can read about the details?

https://totalwarwarhammer.gamepedia.com/The_Empire_Undivided_Update#Empire_Overhaul_.28Mortal_Empires_Campaign.29

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Washin Tong posted:

A lot of norscans aren't chaos crazed mutants or psychotic murderers, they're just men from a harsh land, they raid and pillage sure, but they 're also explorers, merchants (pretty fair ones at that) and some even visit and walk around the empire for work as mercs, bodyguards, etc. It depends on the tribe really, the southern ones are more chill while the ones nearest to the Chaos Wastes are more hostile.
I wish the game modeled this, this would be awesome.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
The one and only faction I got along with because they had affinity for vampires so I buttered them up just got confederated by a faction I'm at war with :negative: why game why

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Wood Elves can trade, they just need to build one of their temples first (or maybe it’s an Amber tech?)

Once they get that they make absolute bank.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I wish the game modeled this, this would be awesome.

Aren't there a group of Norscans who have rejected the Chaos gods entirely? I think that was Skeggi's backstory. Be neat to see that.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

To be fair to Ghorst, I think they gave him actual poison in a patch unless they undid it and starting with him gives some of the strongest campaign bonuses of any lord in the entire game in my option.

Don't knock 20% replenishment rate as a starting bonus.

Yeah, the replenish poo poo is strong af, but he's boring af too.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Oh god, I'm stunlocked by starting a campaign. What's a good newbie/learning-the-ropes leader/race to go with?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Apoplexy posted:

Oh god, I'm stunlocked by starting a campaign. What's a good newbie/learning-the-ropes leader/race to go with?

High elves as Tyrion or lizardmen as Kroq-gar probably.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

High elves as Tyrion or lizardmen as Kroq-gar probably.

My thanks. I'll give Tyrion a shot.

edit: Oh, Mortal Empires with all DLCs+FLCs. What're some other fun options?

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
How the hell do you beat the giant reikland mega confederation?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
In that case I'd also add Karl or Balthasar for empire, Thorgrim or Grombrindal for dwarfs, any vampire count except Kemmler, or any bretonnian (I like fey, lots of people like Repanse) as far as factions that play close to normal. The other ones imo benefit from knowing the base mechanics a bit, both fun and power-wise. Empire or high elves are definitely the best if you want to experiment with lots of different styles of unit on the battle map.

Grimgor would be on the list but orcs realllllly need an update and are scheduled to get a really good one this year so I wouldn't touch them until then.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

When I think of unitstyle variety, high elves are the last faction to come to my mind.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

yikes! posted:

When I think of unitstyle variety, high elves are the last faction to come to my mind.

like what units do you think they're lacking? Mounstrous inf/cav is the only thing I can think of. People spam archers, sisters, and sea guard bc it's easy but that's not required, you can run circles around the AI with a bunch of builds.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Jarvisi posted:

Quit and start a new game or build a lot of armies that can ambush and autoresolve with minimal losses.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Jarvisi posted:

Without cheese, I think the only good way is to get there and beat them early, before Chaos hits. Louen and Karl don't tend to get a lot of allies or conquer much in the first 50 turns, so if you can get to them fast enough they won't have much help. Thorgrim often gets completely shut into his province for the first 50-100 turns. The chaos armies give all three of them a ton of gas in terms of allying up and confederating. In my current Vampire Counts game Louen went from his starting two settlements to confederating all of Brettonia in like twenty turns after Chaos arrived.

With cheese, use agent spam to pull them apart. It's really easy to bring the dwarfs onto your side by chaining agent actions against the orcs or rats, or empire / brettonia by attacking Norscans, pretty much everyone by attacking Chaos etc. It's slow and expensive, but you can build up hundreds of points of goodwill with pretty much anyone in ~50 turns of 250-1000 gold / turn spent on one hero chaining actions.

Edit: This is a backdoor way of admitting that I totally did the agent cheese strategy to basically replace Karl as everyone's best friend in my VC game. Getting the dwarfs on your side is really helpful because it protects your southern and eastern borders, but I also sealed up Courounne and the High Elves / Lizards by pestering the Norscans and Chaos. It felt a little cheap, but also very funny.

Randallteal fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Mar 7, 2020

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Alternatively, be Deathmaster Snickh

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Jarvisi posted:

by winning battles and killing their beaten armies

i dont get this q, in any of its forms. an ai with ton of poo poo is no harder to dismantle than a small faction its just a longer grind

alternately before dow move a couple of elite stacks into their capital provinces and take it from em
the ai usually cant recover

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Geuss we're not all as good as you bro

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
it really is just win

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
One thing I don't get about diplomacy in War1, why does my trustworthiness go down if I accept peace offers? I have no alliances and the faction in quest isn't at war with anyone who likes me at all so I'm not breaking any treaties or whatever. I instantly go from 'Steadfast' to 'Untrustworthy' by doing so which seems crazy to me.

E: Is there any kind of use for surplus population once you're done upgrading everything in a province?

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Mar 7, 2020

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Mazz posted:

It’s dumb as hell but it’s less tedious then it seems; you only need to get to the mod manager screen from hitting download/play in each DLC, then they will show as “in library” on the individual store pages. I activated like 6 at once that way less than 2 weeks ago.

I was able to download some stuff - including, thankfully, all the poo poo I've paid for and Mortal Empires. But about half the free DLC just won't work for me. I go to steam page, and hit download. It wants to start the game. I run the game and go to the DLC. It opens steam in the overlay. I hit download there. It asks me if I have steam. Of course I have steam. I'm literally viewing this steam page through steam. I click the 'steam is installed' button. Nothing happens. It doesn't do anything. That's it, that's all I can do. Never shows as in-library on the store page, never shows up under 'my DLCs' on the game's library, still shows up as downloadable content in-game.

The other half of the free DLC didn't have any such issues at all, even if it was tedious to open the game to add each one.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

smug jeebus posted:

Geuss we're not all as good as you bro

Unless you're playing on mega hard, by the time they confederate you should have a ton of armies that you can basically afk and let the AI kill themselves on you. I'm not even talking fancy armies either. One of my deathstacks for end game is usually just a levelled up lord with a bunch of troop bonuses and basic line troops + archers + artillery.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.

Insurrectionist posted:

One thing I don't get about diplomacy in War1, why does my trustworthiness go down if I accept peace offers? I have no alliances and the faction in quest isn't at war with anyone who likes me at all so I'm not breaking any treaties or whatever. I instantly go from 'Steadfast' to 'Untrustworthy' by doing so which seems crazy to me.

E: Is there any kind of use for surplus population once you're done upgrading everything in a province?

How long have you been at war? If you make peace too soon after a war declaration it’ll affect your trustworthiness, I’m not sure how many turns it is though

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

8 Ball posted:

How long have you been at war? If you make peace too soon after a war declaration it’ll affect your trustworthiness, I’m not sure how many turns it is though

Doesn't seem very intuitive to me to get a much bigger hit for agreeing to someone suing for peace than I did for declaring war in the first place. I declared war on a random faction that hated me and I had no treatises with because I wanted a province, then soon after conquering it they sued for peace and I agreed since I didn't need anything more from them.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Insurrectionist posted:

Yeah, if you sign peace before 10 or so turns, it counts as you "breaking" the war treaty basically. The penalty is sorta soft (it's not as heavyhanded as an outright betrayal) but Trustworthiness is the worst part of diplomacy.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Insurrectionist posted:

Doesn't seem very intuitive to me to get a much bigger hit for agreeing to someone suing for peace than I did for declaring war in the first place. I declared war on a random faction that hated me and I had no treatises with because I wanted a province, then soon after conquering it they sued for peace and I agreed since I didn't need anything more from them.
Yeah its super obnoxious and I hope they fix it, preferably before WH3 but at least in that game.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
3K has a lot of issues but the diplomacy throws Warhammer's diplomacy in the garbage so hard.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Ammanas posted:

by winning battles and killing their beaten armies

i dont get this q, in any of its forms. an ai with ton of poo poo is no harder to dismantle than a small faction its just a longer grind

alternately before dow move a couple of elite stacks into their capital provinces and take it from em
the ai usually cant recover

Well they control half of the entire map aside from Egypt and our tomb kings are having a hard time fighting against both them and the dwarfs who both declared war as soon as chaos was defeated

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Jarvisi posted:

Well they control half of the entire map aside from Egypt and our tomb kings are having a hard time fighting against both them and the dwarfs who both declared war as soon as chaos was defeated

1) lure the ai into fighting on your terms
2) have armies tailored to beat the specific faction you're going against
3) capture/raze key enemy settlements to shatter their economy/ability to produce new dangerous armies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Man, it might seem a little boring on the surface, but I just love the Empire in this setting. There's like ridiculous monsters and dwarfs and elves and invading hell-vikings and you're going up against all of that with a bunch of dudes with spears, moustaches and gunpowder weapons.* It's just great, though I am a bit sad thinking I'll never probably top that moment when I beat Archaon and Sarthorael at Hergig in the first game (I think the screenshots are still in the OP).

*they also have their own fantasy things of course, and very versatile and varied magic, don't get me wrong.