Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Á hinu ástkæra ylhýra er gjarnan talað um ,,jarðepli" en þó ber að hafa í huga að til forna var ,,epli" vítt hugtak sem náði yfir ótal ávexti.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Return Loss
Jul 22, 2001

Are you drunk?

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Worse, Icelandic

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It's cute how we all collectively pretend that icelandic is weirder than whatever is going on in the regular nordic-language countries.

At this point I'm not convinced that anyone actually uses norwegian, swedish, or danish in their daily lives. They all speak english and just mumble pitchy vowels and consonant clusters at foreigners to keep up appearances. Spræspålks sjåkjskättere pørungssgsjldælgskjsgksterre !

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
the finnish language must be preserved in order to maintain our global supply of interesting swear words. for this same reason i maintain that the the académie française and the office québécois de la langue française should remain bitter enemies

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Tree Goat posted:

the finnish language must be preserved in order to maintain our global supply of interesting swear words. for this same reason i maintain that the the académie française and the office québécois de la langue française should remain bitter enemies

Thats easy. Anytime it looks like they're about to patch things up just start a debate on the Simpsons dubs.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Thats easy. Anytime it looks like they're about to patch things up just start a debate on the Simpsons dubs.

How does this kind of thing work between Quebec and France anyway?

Netherlands Dutch and Flemish Dutch are the same language with the same spelling and grammar, just with a slightly different accent and some differences in word choice. But it's not uncommon for there to be two separate dubs for popular children movies (movies intended for teens or adults are almost never dubbed, instead you get the OL version with subtitles, since despite beliefs in dub-heavy countries, it's easy to read subtitles and watch a show at the same time, and we consider the original actors' voice work, intonation and such, an important and irreplaceable part of a work.)

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Carbon dioxide posted:

How does this kind of thing work between Quebec and France anyway?

Netherlands Dutch and Flemish Dutch are the same language with the same spelling and grammar, just with a slightly different accent and some differences in word choice. But it's not uncommon for there to be two separate dubs for popular children movies (movies intended for teens or adults are almost never dubbed, instead you get the OL version with subtitles, since despite beliefs in dub-heavy countries, it's easy to read subtitles and watch a show at the same time, and we consider the original actors' voice work, intonation and such, an important and irreplaceable part of a work.)

there are different dubs for quebecois and french, q.v.

https://twitter.com/matttomic/status/1158910860103995394

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Holy poo poo, that thread also contains the intriguing revelation that the Quebec dub of King of the Hill is canonically set in Quebec, rather than Texas.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

PittTheElder posted:

Holy poo poo, that thread also contains the intriguing revelation that the Quebec dub of King of the Hill is canonically set in Quebec, rather than Texas.

"Sacrement, bobby!"

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Now I really want to watch both dub versions of the "Bart goes to France" episode. Oh, the Quebec dub is in joual? Huh, I probably would barely understand anything then. Now I’m even more curious.

The France-French Disney songs also get Quebecois all ruffled up, like there’s an alternate dimension of their childhood memories. Now I wonder when Australia will demand their own Disney dubs.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Australians really don't care. Especially since we pirate anyway since everything comes a year late, three times the price and sometimes arbitrarily and unnecessarily censored.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Tree Goat posted:

Finnish swearwords contain arcane powers and the true elemental essence of the swearword dimension.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7_pVrIshxA

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

PittTheElder posted:

They say that Whorfianism is 'disproven' and 'junk science' and yet there's an entire linguistic group that thinks that KotH happened in an unseasonably warm part of Canada.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's not a difficult thing to understand, given 4kids dubs and the English translation of Ace Attorney.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The other way around is simpler: French stuff does not get translated in English, it just gets remade with American actors in American locations. And then these American adaptations frequently end up translated back to French.

Sometimes the author doesn't allow changing the location or the characters, so then the remake is just done by filing the serial numbers off and pretending it's different:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0247123/reference -> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1466074/

(I'm amused that even Canadian and British films are given this treatment. It's apparently very important to shelter the American audience from the idea that the world exists beyond the borders of their country.)

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's not a difficult thing to understand, given 4kids dubs and the English translation of Ace Attorney.

Quebexas is the new Japanifornia.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Now I really wanna know how the French Canadian dub localized the "aw shoot, Quebec's got the bomb" gag in the Simpsons.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Saladman posted:

Now I really want to watch both dub versions of the "Bart goes to France" episode. Oh, the Quebec dub is in joual? Huh, I probably would barely understand anything then. Now I’m even more curious.

The France-French Disney songs also get Quebecois all ruffled up, like there’s an alternate dimension of their childhood memories. Now I wonder when Australia will demand their own Disney dubs.

That episode just has Bart speak Joual and the Frenchman speak normal Euro French and they are both incapable of understanding each other.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
Birthplace.... Toronto, Ontario..??!!!. BWUHHHHHHHHH

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Now I really wanna know how the French Canadian dub localized the "aw shoot, Quebec's got the bomb" gag in the Simpsons.

i think someone said they're basques

Grape posted:

Birthplace.... Toronto, Ontario..??!!!. BWUHHHHHHHHH

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

how do they handle the Mexico stuff, do they just call it Vermont

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
How does the episode with Ann Richards work in the Quebec version

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

No offense, but he's from New Brunswick.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

They did one (1) dubbed episode of The Simpsons in Iceland. They localized the jokes but the only one I can remember was them changing a joke about Fox to a joke about Baugur Group the company that owned the channel the show was on (and like 99% of the media). Around the same time there was also a dubbed episode of Malcolm in the Middle for some reason.

The Simpsons film was also dubbed and it was physically painful to watch it with the wrong voices. I don't think they vocalised anything because it taking place in America is integral to the plot.

They also did a weird thing where any time there was some sort text on screen a character would read it out loud from off screen.

Return Loss posted:

Are you drunk?

Ávalt.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Grape posted:

how do they handle the Mexico stuff, do they just call it Vermont

Québécois go to Mexico all the damned time

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

SimonSays posted:

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

SimonSays posted:

Do you not know where Texas is in relation to Mexico or

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Texas IS Mexico.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 8, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah you can't ask that in the politically loaded maps thread unless you want a bunch of

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013
What about the episode where Hank entertains the client from Boston and has to dress like a stereotypical Texan and do stereo typically Texan Things

Or the episode with the Canadians...

SimonSays posted:

Do they drive?

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

wtf is going on with the guy on the right's hands, drat

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Why the indians where not turned slaves?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

FreudianSlippers posted:

Texas IS Mexico.

It kind of makes sense to depict the Great Salt Lake without depicting Lake Tahoe.

The latter was unknown to Mexico. American explorer John C. Frémont laid eyes on it in 1844, shortly before the Mexican–American War.

I think that’s putting more thought into it than the mapmaker did though.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah you can't ask that in the politically loaded maps thread unless you want a bunch of

I'm the Monterrey that's like 200 miles inland from Santa Barbara. Someone else can be the Salton Sea San Diego.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Guavanaut posted:

Why is the line of latitude circa 34° N dotted?

Do they have the mistaken impression that that is the Tropic of Cancer?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I’m Droves of Wild Cattle & Horses.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Tei posted:

Why the indians where not turned slaves?

they were

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Platystemon posted:

Why is the line of latitude circa 34° N dotted?

Do they have the mistaken impression that that is the Tropic of Cancer?
Virginia Colony treaty line? v:shobon:v