Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/pavanvan/status/1235935770239696901?s=19

Centrism is a loving disease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Gonzo McFee posted:

Centrism is a loving disease.

https://twitter.com/haveigotnews/status/1235904083808194563?s=19

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

goddamnedtwisto posted:

This is easily my worst vice as a writer. You can tell how many times I've bothered to edit any bit of writing by how many needless subjunctives there are in it.

(Actually my worst vice is to always forget to close at least one set of brackets, which makes me a bad writer and an even worse coder

mine is i repeat words - i do this all the loving time. if i use an adjective in one sentence, scan the paragraph - i have almost certainly unconsciously repeated it elsewhere.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

PISS FLAPS new account revealed itself in this thread

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
With large areas of Italy being placed under quarantine, I'm seriously considering for the 1st time what supplies I'd need if I couldn't leave the house for 2-3 weeks. I was out in town yesterday and everyone was still carrying on much as normal but I can see a tipping point coming where people flip from complacency into panic.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

I went tesco today and there was lots of toilet paper, but they were completely out of hand sanitizer, and also completely out of frozen mushrooms. The latter was far more annoying because I like to buy a big bag and use them in stuff across a couple of weeks.

When I went, there was plenty toilet paper left but the stock had clearly been massively depleted. The pasta was all gone except the weird expensive kinds though.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/1236566917885898752?s=19

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Deleted. What was the Piss Coronavirus?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Who could have predicted Harman would be useless

https://twitter.com/Barristerblog/status/1235632603350200320?s=19

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

Deleted. What was the Piss Coronavirus?

https://twitter.com/fgsPolitics/status/1236395790299533312

Guessing this. The fallout from it also introduced me to Donut Twitter which I suppose is American piss diamond/spider brooch Twitter.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1236591900720799744?s=19

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lol of course

https://twitter.com/IrvineWelsh/status/1236407332692733953?s=19

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Great to see that the government's focusing on the issues that matter, rather than irrelevancies like the coronavirus and Brexit.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/samcoatessky/status/1236574253098688512?s=21

Oh good. Glad that's all sorted.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
US Healthcare coming to the UK shortly if the tories get their way:

An American friend just posted on FB the total so far billed to insurance for the (trouble-free) delivery and birth of her son and postnatal care of her new baby - $50k!!!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lol cool they know he cant win and are still going to rig it in his favour

https://twitter.com/EoinHiggins_/status/1236501804042592258?s=19

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
Britain, 2020: Please ignore the ongoing health and economic crisis

I still think it was caused by friction burns.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Isomermaid posted:

The amount of complaining about having to do that "now" is skeeving me out beyond all belief. I'm no germophobe but I'm wondering if I'll ever touch anything again

The one thing I’ve long thought is that it’s gross that restaurants in the UK don’t have a hand washing station the the front for you to use before you eat.

If you’ve travelled in some bits of the Far East / Muslim countries it’s nearly compulsory, and makes so much sense to wash your hands, in public view, without having to go into a bathroom and touch door handles to get out again.

This coronavirus scare raises the point that people trust the packaging of all the food they buy to be clean and sanitary. We take things out of a cupboard / fridge, and use our hands to eat without any washing at any point.

In reality they’ve been sitting around in a shelf, handled by at least two supermarket employees, and could have anything on them.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Qwertycoatl posted:

When I went, there was plenty toilet paper left but the stock had clearly been massively depleted. The pasta was all gone except the weird expensive kinds though.

Same, but the massive bags of rice and giant tubs of ghee were fully stocked. The name brand feta had been cleared out but the ASDA Smart Price salad cheese was plentiful. I blame middle class white people.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

wooger posted:

The one thing I’ve long thought is that it’s gross that restaurants in the UK don’t have a hand washing station the the front for you to use before you eat.

If you’ve travelled in some bits of the Far East / Muslim countries it’s nearly compulsory, and makes so much sense to wash your hands, in public view, without having to go into a bathroom and touch door handles to get out again.

This coronavirus scare raises the point that people trust the packaging of all the food they buy to be clean and sanitary. We take things out of a cupboard / fridge, and use our hands to eat without any washing at any point.

In reality they’ve been sitting around in a shelf, handled by at least two supermarket employees, and could have anything on them.

You're supposed to eat the meal with cutlery provided

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Isomermaid posted:

Some people do work like this honestly, other people just stack the decks in their favour.

Underrated post.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

feedmegin posted:

I blame middle class white people.
Generally works.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

Same, but the massive bags of rice and giant tubs of ghee were fully stocked. The name brand feta had been cleared out but the ASDA Smart Price salad cheese was plentiful. I blame middle class white people.

https://twitter.com/johnsweeneyroar/status/1236293689758097408

Scenes.

e: loving congratulations Twitter algorithm which somehow displays the right bit in the crop on the site but not in an embed:

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Bury your Parmesan and wine in your garden like Samuel Pepys for extra security

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
He's buried at St Olave's Church, not in my garden.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

stev posted:

As someone with Mormons in the family, they live all over the UK and pretty much every town has a LDS church.

City maybe. I think you underestimate how many towns there are.

Jose posted:

You're supposed to eat the meal with cutlery provided

Yes, there are definitely no cases where we eat with our hands - especially not the bread which many restaurants give you, or things like sandwiches and cakes.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
80s anime villain Lisa Nandy:

wooger posted:

I think you underestimate how many towns there are.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

wooger posted:

City maybe. I think you underestimate how many towns there are.

Yes, there are definitely no cases where we eat with our hands - especially not the bread which many restaurants give you, or things like sandwiches and cakes.

List of 49000 UK towns (you have to pay to get it)

https://www.townslist.co.uk/

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
80s chatline Lisa Nandy:

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

List of 49000 UK towns (you have to pay to get it)

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Apparently the libdems are doing their own leadership race - I literally forgot about Swinson's existance losing her seat.

Candidates so far, are the nobody she ran against before, and the other loving nobodies still in the party.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's Chuka's time to shine, baby!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

It's Chuka's time to shine, baby!

He has the same problem Swinson has, viz: the electorate told him to gently caress off.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Maybe if they start with someone who doesn't hold a seat they might be able to increase their seats in the next election rather than losing harder every time.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Iranian lawyer who defended women’s right to remove hijab gets 38 years, 148 lashes

quote:

After two trials described by Amnesty International as “grossly unfair,” Iranian human rights lawyer Nasrin Sotoudeh has been sentenced to a total of 38 years in prison and 148 lashes.

Sotoudeh, who has dedicated her life to defending Iranian women prosecuted for removing their hijabs in public, has been in the crosshairs of Iran’s theocratic government for years. In 2010, she was convicted of conspiring to harm state security and served half of a six-year sentence. Then, in June of last year, she was rearrested on an array of dubious charges. Tried in secret, details of her ordeal have often come via her husband, Reza Khandan, who wrote of her new, much harsher sentence on his Facebook page on Monday.

Sotoudeh was ultimately charged with seven crimes and given the maximum sentence for all of them. Five additional years were added from a 2016 case in which she was convicted in absentia. The total 38-year sentence was severe even by Iranian standards — a country often accused of human rights abuses, particularly involving women. Observers say it may signal a newly hardline approach to political dissent. Last week, a radical cleric linked to mass executions in the 1980s was appointed head of the Islamic Republic’s judiciary.

Critics from around the world decried the outcome of Sotoudeh’s case. Amnesty International said it was harshest sentence documented against a human rights defender in Iran in recent memory. Hadi Ghaemi, the executive director of the New York-based Center for Human Rights in Iran, told CBS News it exposed “the insecurity the regime has to any peaceful challenge.”

The same day Sotoudeh was sentenced, the UN investigator on human rights in Iran held up her case as a sign of the country’s increasingly brutal oppression of those who defend the rights of women. “Worrying patterns of intimidation, arrest, prosecution, and ill-treatment of human rights defenders, lawyers, and labor rights activists signal an increasingly severe state response,” he said.

That's pretty insane.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

US Healthcare coming to the UK shortly if the tories get their way:

An American friend just posted on FB the total so far billed to insurance for the (trouble-free) delivery and birth of her son and postnatal care of her new baby - $50k!!!

I get confused by this. How does anyone in America make money? How does anyone have savings? If they apply a system like that here, where there is obviously much less disposable income, everyone is going to be permanently in debt. The new 'rich' will be someone that merely has 0 money.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I feel like the latest email from Keir Starmer asking for donations is treading a little close to the line.

From the formatting and language you could easily be forgiven for thinking this is an official Labour Party funding drive and that the money would go to the party rather than to Starmer's campaign.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Regarde Aduck posted:

I get confused by this. How does anyone in America make money? How does anyone have savings?

They typically have a choice of:
a) Be born rich
b) Rampant nepotism & corruption
c) Incredible luck
d) All of the above

Regarde Aduck posted:

If they apply a system like that here, where there is obviously much less disposable income, everyone is going to be permanently in debt. The new 'rich' will be someone that merely has 0 money.

That's the idea. A working population living paycheck to paycheck can't afford luxuries like industrial action or time off sick. They're also immediately replaceable by other desperate folks.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Tesco rations household essentials.

something something blitz spirit

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Re: baby bill, is that what the insurance will pay or does new mama need to hick a kidney or two now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-information-for-the-public

273 cases, bloody hell