Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

actually the vita died a couple years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Vita was stillborn.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Waltzing Along posted:

The switch still isn't a handheld.
I'm certain this is a joke, but there is this attitude that the Switch isn't a handheld in the same vein as the 3DS or Vita even though there's a handheld-only hardware model, the Switch Lite. I could get the argument that the OG Switch isn't (a very good) handheld since it's a hybrid thing, but the Lite is unambiguously so.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The newer revision switch has vastly improved battery life too.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There is still one possible physical 3DS game coming out, but there hasn't been any news since last year's E3.

quote:

Limited Run Games will release a limited run physical Atooi Collection for 3DS via the Limited Run Games online store, the company announced during its E3 2019 press conference. A release date was not announced.
Atooi Collection includes Atooi-published games Mutant Mudds Deluxe, Bomb Monkey, Xeodrifter, Mutant Mudds Super Challenge, and Chicken Wiggle on a single cartridge.

I tweeted at Atooi's official account asking if this was still in the works but got no answer.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Detective No. 27 posted:

Vita was stillborn.

i love my dead gay vita

Spellman
May 31, 2011

A Hat in Time is so good. It's like, Odyssey good

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Spellman posted:

A Hat in Time is so good. It's like, Odyssey good

I wish I could have gotten into it but I just didn’t enjoy it for some reason. I actually liked Yooka Laylee more.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Well, I got a reply.

https://twitter.com/barry_bonsai/status/1235225777102360582?s=19

There will be at least one more physical 3DS release.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

If I wanted to play New Leaf, does it matter if I buy the original, the Nintendo Select, or the Select Welcome Amiibo? Or will I just be prompted for an update if I purchase the original?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

notthegoatseguy posted:

If I wanted to play New Leaf, does it matter if I buy the original, the Nintendo Select, or the Select Welcome Amiibo? Or will I just be prompted for an update if I purchase the original?
Yeah its all the same, you'll just get updated to the latest version.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

There's a big Atlus sale going on the EU eshop. Rather quietly, though, doesn't seem to have been announced or advertised anywhere. In particular, Radiant Historia (which I just bought) and SMT4:A are both only 6€.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

One of the used games I recently picked up from GameStop, and seemingly only this cart, thinks it's been ejected if the cart is bumped even slightly, which is problematic for an RPG. Has anyone had a similar issue / knows anything that could help with it?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

These push guards are made to prevent the 3DS cartridge from ejecting when in your pocket. It might help. Looks pricey since they haven't been in production for a few years now.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ItBreathes posted:

One of the used games I recently picked up from GameStop, and seemingly only this cart, thinks it's been ejected if the cart is bumped even slightly, which is problematic for an RPG. Has anyone had a similar issue / knows anything that could help with it?

Homebrew it and install games to an sd card.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
That's a pretty weird problem to have.

I'd probably be a bit unhappy to have a cart like that, but since the 3DS is effectively EOL I would also just homebrew it (which you should do anyways) and use GodMode9 to dump the cartridge to a .cia, then use FBI to install the .cia to your SD card. If you have any saves on the cartridge you care about, you can use Checkpoint to backup the saves from cartridge and install them on your SD card as well. All three of those utilities are installed if you follow the homebrew guide.

As a general point, while Nintendo hasn't said anything about the 3DS or Wii U eShop closures, I expect them to happen some day. Also, titles are being delisted from those shops now, including some DSiWare. Meanwhile the homebrew methods are mature are will eventually become necessary to safeguard and preserve your collection.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

It's just the one game too. I took a Q-Tip and some rubbing alcohol to the pins to no avail, but I'm not entirely sure I reached them. I was always planning on CFWing but just haven't had cause to yet.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Homebrew it and install games to an sd card.

Somehow I missed that this was a thing you could do with a homebrewed 3ds. But the game in question is a Pokemon game and there's a non-zero chance I'll want to connect to Pokemon bank at some point, and having it installed to an SD card feels like the kind of thing they'd catch. Is it? And is there any way to get the save back on the original cartridge?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I can't definitely answer that, but Pokémon hacking is pretty common and a cursory search shows that people don't have too much trouble getting even hacked Pokémon into the bank. Which, you're not even trying to do that, you're just use a legitimate copy of Pokémon that was installed via homebrew.

Yes, you can use Checkpoint to restore a save to cartridge.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

ItBreathes posted:

Somehow I missed that this was a thing you could do with a homebrewed 3ds. But the game in question is a Pokemon game and there's a non-zero chance I'll want to connect to Pokemon bank at some point, and having it installed to an SD card feels like the kind of thing they'd catch. Is it? And is there any way to get the save back on the original cartridge?

You'll be fine. And checkpoint makes it painless versus the old way of copying files around semi-blindly.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Sweet. Thanks y'all.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Wii/DS online only ended because they were running on Gamespy servers. I can see Wii U/3DS lasting a long time. They only ended selling games on Wii a year or two ago. PS3's PSN is still up and PS5 is right around the corner.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Never had a problem with Pokemon Bank and saves restored to a cartridge.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Detective No. 27 posted:

Wii/DS online only ended because they were running on Gamespy servers. I can see Wii U/3DS lasting a long time. They only ended selling games on Wii a year or two ago. PS3's PSN is still up and PS5 is right around the corner.

Something to be aware of is that, at least in the case of Sony, there aren't any "PS3/PSP/Vita servers" sitting off in their own room somewhere away from the others. It's all the same infrastructure and networking, there's nothing to actually "turn off". The closest to it is the cloud storage holding the actual game installers, and there's zero reason to wipe those.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Running the Wii U/3DS eShop isn't done for charity. Nintendo will close them when the costs of maintaining them outweighs the revenue they bring in. Even if they don't run on dedicated servers, there's still a clear allotment of cloud infrastructure and CDN traffic that's billed under Wii U and 3DS platform support, so they know exactly how much those cost to maintain.

There's other forcing functions like changes in commerce or privacy laws requiring changes to the shop itself, and Nintendo deciding it's better to close the shop than push out a system update.

Beyond that, individual titles may delist as licensing terms expire. Maybe the current (Switch) eShop allows for redownloading of delisted titles, but I'm not sure that "the license is to the console, not to the user" approach of the Wii U/3DS works here.

Sony still runs PSN for the PS3/Vita because the PS4 has no backwards compatibility and there's still OK revenue on the PS3 and Vita to make that viable. They've already discontinued PSN support for the PSP.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Running the Wii U/3DS eShop isn't done for charity. Nintendo will close them when the costs of maintaining them outweighs the revenue they bring in. Even if they don't run on dedicated servers, there's still a clear allotment of cloud infrastructure and CDN traffic that's billed under Wii U and 3DS platform support, so they know exactly how much those cost to maintain.

There's other forcing functions like changes in commerce or privacy laws requiring changes to the shop itself, and Nintendo deciding it's better to close the shop than push out a system update.

Beyond that, individual titles may delist as licensing terms expire. Maybe the current (Switch) eShop allows for redownloading of delisted titles, but I'm not sure that "the license is to the console, not to the user" approach of the Wii U/3DS works here.

Sony still runs PSN for the PS3/Vita because the PS4 has no backwards compatibility and there's still OK revenue on the PS3 and Vita to make that viable. They've already discontinued PSN support for the PSP.

As long as we get a heads-up then I'm fine. I can think easy of a half-dozen 3DS games I want to buy before it's too late.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

It looks like it's a solved issue for the DS families, but like the PS4 and XB1 are going to be non-functional once the servers that host the necessary downloads for disk based games go down.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I have a new 3ds (with face plates) and a 2ds. I need to pick up a new 3ds xl before they get too expensive, and then mod the 2ds for GBA games. And grab the last 6 or so 3ds games I don’t own and wish I did. They are all capable of having the batteries replaced right?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ItBreathes posted:

It looks like it's a solved issue for the DS families, but like the PS4 and XB1 are going to be non-functional once the servers that host the necessary downloads for disk based games go down.

hopefully this is ameliorated by the ps5 and xbone 2 having full bc so the games have to be on servers somewhere anyway

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

LionArcher posted:

I have a new 3ds (with face plates) and a 2ds. I need to pick up a new 3ds xl before they get too expensive, and then mod the 2ds for GBA games. And grab the last 6 or so 3ds games I don’t own and wish I did. They are all capable of having the batteries replaced right?

Yeah they’re all easily replaceable. The only one that’s a bit of a hassle is the 2DS XL because you have motherboard wires to deal with and a battery sticky pad. But it’s still easy

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Amppelix posted:

There's a big Atlus sale going on the EU eshop. Rather quietly, though, doesn't seem to have been announced or advertised anywhere. In particular, Radiant Historia (which I just bought) and SMT4:A are both only 6€.

Thanks for this, I would never have checked the eShop + got SMT4 Apocalypse for £6

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I picked up Radiant Historia and EO Nexus as well for a total of £20, so now I can never buy another 3DS game in my life.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Hopefully a sale like this hits other territories too cause I got some credit burning a hole in my pocket and wanna pick up the other Etrian Odyssey games I never played.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Atlus puts their 3DS games on sale all the time, I don't check regularly anymore but it happens every couple months at a minumum.

I think Nintendo will keep the 3DS servers up longer than they did for Wii/DS because it was the first system of theirs that let you buy digital copies of retail games, so the store functionality has way more value than the likes of WiiWare and DSiWare.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

SeANMcBAY posted:

Earthbound and Mother 3 are absolutely worth playing. Only the early game in EB is a bit grindy imo. I’ve played modern RPGs that I’ve found to be much worse in that regard.

If you grind Ness up to level 12 on Sharks before you fight the first boss you will be ahead of the curve for the rest of the game, but not enough to make it not challenging.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

hatty posted:

Yeah they’re all easily replaceable. The only one that’s a bit of a hassle is the 2DS XL because you have motherboard wires to deal with and a battery sticky pad. But it’s still easy

Good to know. I may grab sealed copies of Zelda games too, (I already opened my copies) I bet in 10 years they will be worth a pretty penny sealed.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They'll be worth maybe $10 more than release MSRP. Video games are a bad investment. The only games that'll be worth anything are games that are legit rare or weirdo games with low print runs. Zelda games are common as gently caress and most of the kids today who will be nostalgic for 3DS in a decade will flock to the hundreds of cheap opend copies of Zelda games.

And who knows how much the next generation will care about physical media when grown.

That said, there's plenty of weirdo DS games with low print runs and values are starting to go up. That's a fun portable to collect for.

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Mar 10, 2020

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

ExcessBLarg! posted:

That's a pretty weird problem to have.

use GodMode9 to dump the cartridge to a .cia, then use FBI to install the .cia to your SD card. If you have any saves on the cartridge you care about, you can use Checkpoint to backup the saves from cartridge and install them on your SD card as well.

Oh poo poo I gotta update my hacks and rip all the carts I have. I know what I’m doing this weekend.

Any other more recent home brew stuff I should check out say from the past ~2 or 3 years?

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Is Super Mario Maker worth picking up? I heard the 3DS version has a bunch of official Nintendo made levels.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ryuga Death posted:

Is Super Mario Maker worth picking up? I heard the 3DS version has a bunch of official Nintendo made levels.

If you have a Switch and Mario Maker 2 then not really but otherwise sure. It had a pretty decent campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Word of warning if you haven't played a Mario Maker before, all of the same kinda floaty, slippery physics, they're not like the original games. I couldn't get the hang of it.