Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

:thunk:

What's wrong with Placer? Just because it isn't bright-rear end blue? I live there and enjoy it.

Lake Tahoe is cool, breaking your legs skiing is cool,

Tax:

https://youtu.be/zeoT66v4EHg

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Virus Princess docked in Port of Oakland:

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 23, 2021

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

WOWEE ZOWEE posted:

https://twitter.com/JodiHernandezTV/status/1237083799432781824

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

WOWEE ZOWEE posted:

I'm wondering genuinely here, what's the big deal. The virus is already popping up randomly in the Bay Area. Take care of these poor people on the boat and let them get back to living normal lives once they recover.

I can't wait for President Trump to bail out the too-big-to-fail cruise companies this year

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I'm wondering genuinely here, what's the big deal.

Big deal with what exactly?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

I'm wondering genuinely here, what's the big deal. The virus is already popping up randomly in the Bay Area. Take care of these poor people on the boat and let them get back to living normal lives once they recover.

I can't wait for President Trump to bail out the too-big-to-fail cruise companies this year

Apparently Donald has been resisting allowing the cruise ship to come into port in order to drive down infection numbers. It's completely immoral, and stupid. So on brand.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I agree.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

Big deal with what exactly?

I'll rephrase and try to be clear.

Why are people freaking out about this specific ship docking when there are already breakouts of the virus all over the bay area? The virus is already among us and these people are contained so what is the special threat that they pose?

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Besides my flippant comment I don't see anyone panicking itt.

If there are people concerned, it's probably because cruise ships have been a major vector in Japan and Cambodia and could be here too. But like you say, we already have an outbreak on our hands.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I'll rephrase and try to be clear.

Why are people freaking out about this specific ship docking when there are already breakouts of the virus all over the bay area? The virus is already among us and these people are contained so what is the special threat that they pose?

Because one can point to a physical object filled with Coronavirus and say "don't bring that here!"

Same thing happened with that plane a few weeks back that tried landing in the Bay Area but got re-routed to Riverside instead.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
love 2 hear about the plague ship vomiting all over my town.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

FCKGW posted:

Because one can point to a physical object filled with Coronavirus and say "don't bring that here!"

Same thing happened with that plane a few weeks back that tried landing in the Bay Area but got re-routed to Riverside instead.

And then got improperly handled by HHS personnel, with no training and no quarantine, who stayed in local hotels throughout the region.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Based on their presidential campaigns I'd probably support Steyer over Harris, even though they both kinda suck.

Anyone who’d willingly support for a billionaire for office is a fool.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Centrist Committee posted:

Listen if my choices are between a billionaire or a billionaire's lackey I'd rather just cut out the middleman.

Now obviously I'd prefer those not be my only choices but violent revolution is going to take awhile longer to get going.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

What about a dude who vocally supports reparations and a climate agenda, and is in favor of ending capital punishment, cash bail, mandatory minimum sentences, and private prisons? Who wants to mandate paper ballots, subsidize rent, overturn Citizens United, end offshore drilling and oil/gas leases on federal land, create a constitutional right to clean water, and create a wealth tax?

Yes he still sucks and I'm aware of his sordid past. But he ran a way better, more progressive campaign than Harris did and on that merit I'd prefer him.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
If your reaction to recent politics is that we have the wrong billionaires in charge then I don’t know what to tell you.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

If your reaction to recent politics is that we have the wrong billionaires in charge then I don’t know what to tell you.

I think that's about the most uncharitable bad-faith way to read what was said.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Cup Runneth Over posted:

What about a dude who vocally supports reparations and a climate agenda, and is in favor of ending capital punishment, cash bail, mandatory minimum sentences, and private prisons? Who wants to mandate paper ballots, subsidize rent, overturn Citizens United, end offshore drilling and oil/gas leases on federal land, create a constitutional right to clean water, and create a wealth tax?

Yes he still sucks and I'm aware of his sordid past. But he ran a way better, more progressive campaign than Harris did and on that merit I'd prefer him.

"Let's go by what he says, not what his actual record is!" is a take I think we're all a little tired of hearing this election cycle so let's not try to preempt the next one with it already when we don't even know if there will be a primary challenger

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

"Let's go by what he says, not what his actual record is!" is a take I think we're all a little tired of hearing this election cycle so let's not try to preempt the next one with it already when we don't even know if there will be a primary challenger

Both their records are garbage. I'll take the one who at least espouses better values.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Frankly I'd prefer to not have to vote for a billionaire or a cop, as I can imagine also goes for most of the thread. So maybe we can hold off on slap fighting over which is the lesser evil unless we actually get presented with said dilemma. :)

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I mean I'd take anyone even slightly to the left of either of them

*finger on monkey's paw curls*

Senator Jerry Brown elected in landslide

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

California has always had a Jerry Brown.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Wicked Them Beats posted:

One Senator Moonbeam coming right up

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.
Senator Jerry Brown would probably challenge Trump to a push up contest so I'd vote for him.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Wicked Them Beats posted:

You say that like it wouldn't be amazing

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Yeah I’d be unironically pro moonbeam in the senate.

He has to stay involved in California politics in some capacity, because of the curse that means he becomes mortal if stops, anyway.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Kill Bristol posted:

He has to stay involved in California politics in some capacity, because of the curse that means he becomes mortal if stops, anyway.

Unless he inherits Dianne Feinstein's phylactery? Does it come with the position?

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 23, 2021

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

sincx posted:

can we please get some non-succ non-ancient dems in office?

Pick one.

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 10, 2020

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Shahid over Pelosi.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

like i said:

DE. LEON.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I meant, of those three qualities, pick one.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

jackie fielder is all three, and she got 33% of the vote in three months of campaigning. that's a much better outlook than shahid.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

speaking of which, i lost track of this question:

Spazzle posted:

Does anyone have substantive objections to Weiner, or are the complaints I see just boomer moaning about how he is working to increase housing density?

his record as a state senator is pretty clear: he's not pro-density, he's pro-real-estate-industry and anti-tenant. but we can also look back to his incredibly lovely career on the board of supervisors. here's what one moderate local organization had to say on the occasion of him running for state senate in 2016:

quote:

Although Wiener has been okay on some issues like Muni, biking, and nightlife, we have fundamental philosophical differences with him.

Wiener’s record on criminalizing the poor and homeless is unforgivable: from supporting the Sit-Lie law to outlawing sleeping in the parks to evicting recycling centers to supporting Ed Lee’s inhumane, ill-conceived and counterproductive sweeps of the Division Street homeless encampments, Wiener is one of the architects of the City’s current failed “crackdown on homelessness.” This crackdown has needlessly driven the homeless into more residential areas where they are less comfortable and more disruptive to neighborhoods.

Wiener is one of the Police Officer Association’s last allies on the Board of Supervisors. He prioritizes hiring more cops over more progressive solutions to crime like reentry services and he pushes the cops and D.A. to lock up more people for low-level, nonviolent crimes. He opposes Mark Leno’s bill to provide basic transparency on police misconduct records. In fact, when he opposed Sheriff Mirkarimi’s attempt to reduce the jail population by expanding the electronic monitoring program, he said our jails were too empty and we need to lock up more people!

Wiener is also a strong ally to the real estate industry. He tried to water down the affordable housing requirements for the new high-priced group housing projects, and he watered down the transit impact fee developers pay, which cost Muni millions. Whenever there’s a debate between developer’s profits and public benefits, expect Wiener to vote for the developer’s profits.

Some of our allies have suggested we should support Wiener for Senate because he can do less damage there and we could hopefully replace him with a progressive on the Board of Supervisors. But we’re not going for that. We want his neoliberal, poor-bashing political career to end here when he’s termed out in 2018.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
hell yeah let's get more livable california friendly pols in office

Fill Baptismal fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Mar 10, 2020

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Kill Bristol posted:

hell yeah let's get more livable california friendly pols in office

His opponent for the general wants to introduce a bill to spend $100 Billion on public housing over the next 10 years, increase density requirements in wealthy zip codes and neuter abilities for wealthy zip codes to block new housing, and tie housing requirements to increased number of jobs when commercial projects are approved, focused first on the city then the region. Livable California is not gonna like her. She was also homeless herself 6 months ago, living out of a van, despite being a lecturer at SF State, so she also wants to institute New York State's law that if cities won't build enough homeless shelter beds for their homeless population, that they have to put them up in hotels at the city's cost in order to force cities to start taking care of the problem. Jackie Fielder is veeeeerrry much not Livable California friendly.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Everything but tying housing to commercial seems alright.

San Francisco has been California’s center of business since time immemorial, and tying commercial construction to residential construction just results in more of the SV suburban campuses that are the real urban planning Devil. With enough transit infrastructure, it’s only to have lots of workers who don’t live there.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Shahid can't win, but he should stay in. Coronavirus take my energy, there's tons of olds in the Senate and House!

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Mar 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I can’t remember if you’re an ex-mod, but IMO if your post wishes death on major political figures, you should reconsider. Lowtax has already had enough police visits for a lifetime.