Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Oh...

poo poo I'm so sorry dude.

Trust that I understand about the complications, ie overtaxing the healthcare system / people going without pay as this is both part of my current livelihood and as someone who grew up in good old fashioned southern USA trailer park poverty.

Do you think the near-term economic hardships will be worse than 2008 level type stuff? That is one aspect I haven't given much though to, mostly because I've just been looking more at the "how do we survive the disease" type scenario 1st and not stepping back to look at the direct economic aspect.

Seeing Microsoft, Amazon etc guarantee hourly pay even if people are sent home is encouraging, but yeah not feasible for smaller service industry businesses even if they wanted to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Even if there isn't Mad Max hellscape level societal collapse from this, the working class is going to take it up the shitter HARD.

Anyone remember all those pieces about what outlandish percent of people are X number of paychecks from bankruptcy? Well now we're going to see a whole hell of a lot of them go without those paychecks all at the same time, with a bonus side order of US-healthcare-level surprise sex hospital bills for some.

Buckle up, gonna be a wild ride.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

OTOH, if things are as dire as you fear, then it may just be the tipping point needed to break this new Gilded Age.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/BreakingNews/status/1237098585965170689

Israel is having all arrivals via air self-quarantine for 14 days. This is the first restriction of such magnitude that I'm aware of.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Hey someone make the joke about Madagascar

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mr. Nice! posted:

Also please post whatever you're hearing from researchers/hospitals around the nation. I know places are preparing. I hope we're able to handle what is coming. In a week or two, we'll find out.

This guy https://twitter.com/BillHanage is a friend and good follow for updates on big picture epidemiology stuff. He's in the world expert category on this stuff and it was hilarious driving into work this morning and BBC World Report was on the radio and oh hey there's a friend being live interviewed about what's going down.

The other close contacts I have are in the MA and CT DoH and have a couple acquaintances / friend-of- very close colleagues who work at CDC or DHHS. My closest friend at CDC quit when they were about to get downsized out and now works in pharma.

Everything from CDC and DHHS that I have heard (all 2nd hand, so take as you will) has been completely poo poo, either contradictory, or confused. The only consistent thing has been that they are pissed at how their agencies are dealing with it. CDC seems confident they will be able to get a handle on things but all agree its already in the 'management' phase and containment is already impossible.

The 2 state level DoH people I know are mostly involved in response and both of them still seem confident they have contingency plans to do things like expand clinic space, call up retired / semi-active nursing personnel etc to accommodate staffing needs as the current system gets saturated. Honestly they seem pretty confident that they can weather it. Again this was just 1st-hand conversation via texts so no news to point to.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

OTOH, if things are as dire as you fear, then it may just be the tipping point needed to break this new Gilded Age.

I am hoping that even if its not as dire as feared, people will be much more open to discussing why Americans all are going into poverty / bankruptcy during an epidemic and other nations did not.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

What a country.

https://www.businessinsider.com/new-york-state-made-hand-sanitizer-produced-by-prisoners-announced-2020-3

quote:

New York governor Andrew Cuomo announced on Monday during a press conference that the state will start producing 100,000 gallons of hand sanitizer a week to be given away to schools, prisons, and government agencies as well as the MTA.

The product, NYS Clean, costs $6 a gallon to manufacture and is made at Great Meadow Correctional Facility in Washington County and was created in response to local government citing a medical supply shortage and trouble acquiring hand sanitizer.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

gently caress discussion I want the millions of newly disenfranchised dragging the wealthy into the street

Hail satan

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
It's going to be really loving weird if civilization indirectly gets saved by CPAC.

https://twitter.com/AaronBlake/status/1237105243193778178?s=19

Edit: final bell!

https://twitter.com/evanmcmurry/status/1237106246156800000?s=19

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 9, 2020

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

gently caress discussion I want the millions of newly disenfranchised dragging the wealthy into the street

Hail satan

Given historical precedent, it won't be the wealthy being drug

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Joe Biden is the Democrat frontrunner and his campaign supposedly floating Jamie Dimon as SecTreas

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Im just waiting for the plot twist where if Biden is elected his dementia progresses to the point he thinks hes trump and keeps blaming everything on Obama. "You see this blue suit I'm wearing? Thats the fault of the Obama administration"

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

facialimpediment posted:

WHY DO WE ALLOW FLORIDA TO HAVE VOTING MEMBERS OF CONGRESS

https://twitter.com/RepMattGaetz/status/1235309294146539520?s=19

I AM OPEN TO JUSTIFICATIONS HERE

ASKED AND loving ANSWERED

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1237107293470277632?s=19

https://twitter.com/MattGertz/status/1237107826985754626?s=19

https://twitter.com/justinsink/status/1237109045477154816?s=19

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 9, 2020

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

:munch:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Reminder they'll get the best healthcare your tax dollars can buy

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I spoke too soon about it not being in Tallahassee, yet. In addition to our federal reps "self quarantining," 5 state house reps are now being tested.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Milo and POTUS posted:

Reminder they'll get the best healthcare your tax dollars can buy

Knowing Trump he'll find some way to make it a public expense that he gets to write off on his own taxes then the doctor triple bills and gives him a kick back or some poo poo. If nothing else he is genuinely skilled at that.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Uh JFC the entire country of Italy is now under quarantine.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

[Madagascar Joke]

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Joe Biden is the Democrat frontrunner and his campaign supposedly floating Jamie Dimon as SecTreas

"Joe Biden’s spokesman Andrew Bates called the Axios column speculating on Biden cabinet picks, including that the former Vice President was considering Jamie Dimon for Treasury, “laughable speculation,” likening it to fantasy football."

Reading past the headlines loving hard huh?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Uh JFC the entire country of Italy is now under quarantine.

Peninsulated

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Oh goddamnit, I’m sorry. I fell asleep reading. I only got plat for PMs, is there a way to disable or hide the report button? I don’t have a PC or laptop, and big dumb fingers on a phone are a bad combo.

Edit: Well, at least a few others fell for it too. Anyway, back to lurking

Bulgaroctonus fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 9, 2020

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

:cawg:

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Snitches coming out of the woodwork here lol.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Bulgaroctonus posted:

Oh goddamnit, I’m sorry. I fell asleep reading. I only got plat for PMs, is there a way to disable or hide the report button? I don’t have a PC or laptop, and big dumb fingers on a phone are a bad combo.

Edit: Well, at least a few others fell for it too. Anyway, back to lurking

Thank you for the laugh, friend.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

It's the gift that keeps on giving!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Well my flight to Rome was just ticketed a few hours ago.

Cough cough

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

god what a powerful post

beautiful in its simplicity

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
gently caress McNally, I thought the delayed detonation ordinance was banned or something?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Is it too late for me to lecture the doctor on coronavirus?

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

"Great Recession? Thats nothing compared to the Great Depression!" says author extolling the hardships faced by a generation born a decade after the Great Depression ended.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
A generation of Americans born after the largest hardship events in modern history, granted unrivaled prosperity, that have greedily consumed so much of that prosperity they've locked the next two generations out of it.

BurningChrome
Jan 18, 2020

They said she cooked her own cancers for people who crossed her, rococo custom variations that took years to kill you. They said a lot of things about Chrome, none of them at all reassuring.

Vasudus posted:

A generation of Americans born after the largest hardship events in modern history, granted unrivaled prosperity, that have greedily consumed so much of that prosperity they've locked the next two generations out of it.

:911:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Slim Pickens posted:

Hoping NPR's market report just starts opening with toccata & fugue while poo poo keeps crashing

(If you're unfamiliar, they play "I'm in the money" if number go up, and some kinda sad piano music if number go down)

The music is "Stormy Weather" for markets down. Also, it's Marketplace which is American Public Media, not NPR. NPR's market show is Planet Money, which is run by literal Wall Street shills.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Sacrist65 posted:

"Great Recession? Thats nothing compared to the Great Depression!" says author extolling the hardships faced by a generation born a decade after the Great Depression ended.

"Here's one last piece of advice. Aim higher. Your passion for change seems to be mostly for yourselves—health insurance, child care, student loans, paid family leave. Our passion was often to help others: civil rights, apartheid and famines in places like Bangladesh, Biafra and Ethiopia. Yes, it was naïve to think that a few concerts like Live Aid could save millions, but it was rooted in good intentions. Our generation may have failed in the execution, but we did not fail in ambition."

Jesus loving Christ what the gently caress. Is it just this rear end in a top hat or do a lot of them think we want those things only for ourselves and not because it will help a lot of people? Me generation indeed, gently caress man

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 9, 2020

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Stultus Maximus posted:

The music is "Stormy Weather" for markets down. Also, it's Marketplace which is American Public Media, not NPR. NPR's market show is Planet Money, which is run by literal Wall Street shills.

And for all that, NPR still is hated by the RW as the personification of the liberal media.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

maffew buildings posted:

"Here's one last piece of advice. Aim higher. Your passion for change seems to be mostly for yourselves—health insurance, child care, student loans, paid family leave. Our passion was often to help others: civil rights, apartheid and famines in places like Bangladesh, Biafra and Ethiopia. Yes, it was naïve to think that a few concerts like Live Aid could save millions, but it was rooted in good intentions. Our generation may have failed in the execution, but we did not fail in ambition."

Jesus loving Christ what the gently caress

It's not even funny entertaining anymore.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

maffew buildings posted:

MotherFUCKER this is more self-feliating then the urban legend about Marlyan Manson.

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011

maffew buildings posted:

Jesus loving Christ what the gently caress. Is it just this rear end in a top hat or do a lot of them think we want those things only for ourselves and not because it will help a lot of people? Me generation indeed, gently caress man

Can we root for COVID now? The real Greatest Generation will take a major hit but at least a good amount of boomers will go too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

BaconAndBullets posted:

Can we root for COVID now? The real Greatest Generation will take a major hit but at least a good amount of boomers will go too.

Not like theres a lot of them left anymore sadly