Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Finally they move out of the way #boomerplague

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I guess dying of coronavirus is one way to wrap up a lawsuit.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Shits gonna suck when this hits our prisons and jails.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Kawasaki Nun posted:

It was an unconfirmed account translating an Italian account, but if correct 27 of Italy's prisons are currently under prisoner control.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
First they complain about too many people incarcerated, then a solution presents itself and they complain about THAT! Those libs just can't be satisfied

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

Tokelau All Star posted:

Judge in my assigned courtroom is on vacation this week. Rather than get a per diem judge all court is just straight up cancelled. Time to finally finish Breath of the Wild.

I haven't finished BotW either! Probably won't any time soon, either. Persona 5 Royal comes out at the end of the month.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Yep. I'm incredibly concerned. Isolated, socially outcast, generally with health vulnerabilities. It's gonna be bad

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

It was an unconfirmed account translating an Italian account, but if correct 27 of Italy's prisons are currently under prisoner control.

Got a link? My Italian is pretty rusty but still.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Il Sole 24 ore reported that inmates at 27 prisons across the nation held protests.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
ah, so they have a union.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I did it.

I finished the last shrine and defeated Calamity Ganon.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Tokelau All Star posted:

I did it.

Congratulations

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Tokelau All Star posted:

I did it.

I just started recently playing botw myself. It’s an amazing game. I still have plenty to do, I’m sure. I beat ganon myself last week. Didn’t mean to fight him, but it was easy enough.

What are you supposed to do to him on his final phase where he climbs the wall invulnerable? I just cheesed by dodging until urbosa’s fury reset and dropping him off the wall with that.

Also if you haven’t mounted any lynels yet, do you even ride, bro?

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Run around until he starts charging up the huge Guardian laser, parry it back, and then run in and whale on him.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Tokelau All Star posted:

Run around until he starts charging up the huge Guardian laser, parry it back, and then run in and whale on him.

Ah that makes sense. And pretty on theme in a zelda game.

Urbosa’s fury drops him as well so nbd. I liked that in the fight after I was on my bighorse.

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.
Love when lawyers (sometimes even partners) admit under oath that they have little to no understanding of what litigation entails.

Did you know you had to make initial disclosures by [DATE] under Rule 16.1? No.

Do you know what a "litigation hold" is? No.

Real nice meritocracy we got going here.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Unamuno posted:

Love when lawyers (sometimes even partners) admit under oath that they have little to no understanding of what litigation entails.

lol goddamn

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Unamuno posted:

I was at a park downtown with my kid last year and struck up a convo with another dad who was a biglaw attorney who had a couple of years of practice on me. He beamed with pride when he told me he was finally going to get to sit first chair in deposition the coming week, lol.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
To be fair, you don't really learn a lot of these practical things in law school, and if you only do transaction work, it can be a while until you run into things like litigation holds.

There is some letter commonly referred to by a specific number (I cannot remember, but I'm not talking about letter with a Rule 408 legend) that is also a routine part of litigation that I remember only learning about years later when I was a partner.

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 10, 2020

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

blarzgh posted:

I was at a park downtown with my kid last year and struck up a convo with another dad who was a biglaw attorney who had a couple of years of practice on me. He beamed with pride when he told me he was finally going to get to sit first chair in deposition the coming week, lol.

I've done more actual litigation in six months of public defense than I did in twelve years of nonprofit civil rights law. Like, exponentially more, it isnt even close. More in a week now than in a year then.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
So the school I'm applying to has character & fitness in the application. I have a couple of minor municipal citations, but I don't have records of them, and the nice policeman I talked to when I went to request my RAP sheet said that they wouldn't have records for anything that didn't require a fingerprint being taken. Think it'll be alright if I fudge the dates on the application to the best of my recollection (explaining the circumstances for my uncertainty, of course), or should I figure out how to wade through my state & city records law to find the date of my piss ticket?

Flip Yr Wig fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 10, 2020

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Flip Yr Wig posted:

So the school I'm applying to has character & fitness in the application. I have a couple of minor municipal citations, but I don't have records of them, and the nice policeman I talked to when I went to request my RAP sheet said that they wouldn't have records for anything that didn't require a fingerprint being taken. Think it'll be alright if I fudge the dates on the application to the best of my recollection (explaining the circumstances for my uncertainty, of course), or should I figure out how to wade through my state & city records law to find the date of my piss ticket?
Fudging is done with bad intent. Don't do that on a C&F submission.

If you estimate to the best of your recollection and explain why it's an estimate, you'll be OK

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

joat mon posted:

Fudging is done with bad intent. Don't do that on a C&F submission.

If you estimate to the best of your recollection and explain why it's an estimate, you'll be OK

Do this. Consider also contacting the justice court in the jurisdictions where you received the citations and asking them for records. If they don't have anything, include the diligence you did in your explanation why it's an estimate.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Arcturas posted:

Do this. Consider also contacting the justice court in the jurisdictions where you received the citations and asking them for records. If they don't have anything, include the diligence you did in your explanation why it's an estimate.

Meaning, do it through e-mail if they have that capability.

The city-hall doesn't keep records? How the hell do they prosecute anything? Someone has to have something somewhere.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
You should all click on the alex jones popup by the way. It's great.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Well, the administrative hearing office's website makes it sound like the only way to get those records is a full-on FOIA, which sounds like a big ol' pain in the rear end and would also put my name and record on their public FOIA log. I emailed the office about the process, and hopefully there's an easier method.

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Well, the administrative hearing office's website makes it sound like the only way to get those records is a full-on FOIA, which sounds like a big ol' pain in the rear end and would also put my name and record on their public FOIA log. I emailed the office about the process, and hopefully there's an easier method.

Maybe I'm just not :tinfoil: enough but what are the downsides of being placed in a "public FOIA log," assuming such a thing exists?

I mean, if someone's put in a log and then denied subsequent FOIA requests based solely on being in such a log, sounds like a potential 1983 plaintiff to me.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Unamuno posted:

Maybe I'm just not :tinfoil: enough but what are the downsides of being placed in a "public FOIA log," assuming such a thing exists?

I mean, if someone's put in a log and then denied subsequent FOIA requests based solely on being in such a log, sounds like a potential 1983 plaintiff to me.

Well, yeah, fair enough. The wait time for the request is the only downside with any real weight. Having it be displayed in the city's online record of FOIA requests is a pretty minor annoyance at worst.

Edit:
And now that I actually look at the FOIA request log for administrative hearings, it looks like the only information displayed is the date of request & fulfillment.

Flip Yr Wig fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 10, 2020

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

SlyFrog posted:

To be fair, you don't really learn a lot of these practical things in law school, and if you only do transaction work, it can be a while until you run into things like litigation holds.

There is some letter commonly referred to by a specific number (I cannot remember, but I'm not talking about letter with a Rule 408 legend) that is also a routine part of litigation that I remember only learning about years later when I was a partner.

I inadvertently learned pretty quick at my first job out of law school because on like my second day I started getting emails saying to preserve records about a person who left the company before I started.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Just be honest and fully disclose. So say "I have no records, but I recall a citation for X around Y and a citation for W around Z. I recall paying the fines for those citations." If they want to push further on that, they can ask.

My law school and state bars did not want anything from my one mistake (minor in possession). Weirdly, the patent office did want full records. I ended up having to FOIA the local police department, and they did have something.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I put my arrest on mine even though I couldn't remember the date, or find any records of said arrest.

I did not mention that I was in my underwear when I got arrested, however.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
Boy howdy I love getting a voicemail overnight from the head of human resources ordering me to draft a termination without cause letter ASAP and offering an unconscionably low severance to a 31y service employee with no performance issues, to be delivered this morning, without ever bothering to ask Legal if it's a good idea.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Tipps posted:

Boy howdy I love getting a voicemail overnight from the head of human resources ordering me to draft a termination without cause letter ASAP and offering an unconscionably low severance to a 31y service employee with no performance issues, to be delivered this morning, without ever bothering to ask Legal if it's a good idea.

Tipps posted:

When you get burned out on criminal defence, there's always employer-side labour relations if you want to feel like poo poo about what you do for a living. :thumbsup:

I could never do your job. Six months during insurance defense, mostly nursing homes, was as close as I got.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/tedcruz/status/1237727370360037379?s=20

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

God damnit, just let me hate you Ted Cruz.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
All my classes are now remote and I think gradation is canceled. This pandemic just got real!!!

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 12, 2020

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Hey cool tip for lawyers dealing with government: if you're asking someone for a favour, don't make a veiled threat of legal action if they don't do it, especially when they're not under any legal obligations and it's your client who would be found to be in the wrong if it came to a courtroom! A better idea is to go gently caress yourself.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Whitlam posted:

A better idea is to go gently caress yourself.

Currently dicking around a power company that's threatening questionable legal action over a lease of public property that's pretty guaranteed to be outside the statute of limitations. Gonna see how far I can stall them before they seek actual legal representation.

Meanwhile, corona has me confined to quarters, meetings are cancelled and it's gonna be videoconferences from here on in. Which is gonna make it hard to get my needful signatures :negative:

Think I'm gonna go to the cabin for a while.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
It's just so loving dumb. If they'd come to us and said "hey we need your help with this", we'd have bent over backwards for them. Instead, in literally our first contact, they threatened imaginary proceedings, and pissed us off. Great job repping your client, mate.

I don't have a cabin but I might be putting an offer in on a house this/early next week. Right before the market collapses. :discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Whitlam posted:

It's just so loving dumb. If they'd come to us and said "hey we need your help with this", we'd have bent over backwards for them. Instead, in literally our first contact, they threatened imaginary proceedings, and pissed us off. Great job repping your client, mate.

I don't have a cabin but I might be putting an offer in on a house this/early next week. Right before the market collapses. :discourse:

Build one in your back yard? I hear all sorts of wild stories of crazy nature experiences when you go in the out back.