Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

yoloer420 posted:

So I want to back up my data to Google Drive (unlimited storage). What software is recommended for this? I'd love to hear about your experiences with backing up 32+TB.

I need something that meets the following criteria:

• Runs on Linux
  • Works
  • Doesn't need stupid amounts of ram
  • Encrypts backups

I know of the following but have not tested them:
  • Duplicati
  • Restic + rclone
  • Borg + rclone
  • Duplicity
  • Bacula + rclone

So any thoughts?

Just use rclone and Cron nightly?

https://rclone.org/crypt/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

yoloer420 posted:

So I want to back up my data to Google Drive (unlimited storage). What software is recommended for this? I'd love to hear about your experiences with backing up 32+TB.

So any thoughts?

I'm using Duplicati in a Docker container and it works well enough. If your Google drive is a team drive you need to use some "advanced" features that are really poorly documented to set that up.

Also I'm pretty sure all Google drives have a limit of 750GB inbound data per day, and an upper limit on number of files (Duplicati defaults to something like a 50MB backup volume which would exceed that file count limit hilariously soon). I haven't been able to make Duplicati's own throttling play nice, so I've been handling it by using the "exclude files larger than X" setting and slowly ramping that up day by day.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Mecha posted:

Seconding the "where did you get it" question. I'm budgeting both a workstation and a NAS server for this year, and it would be nice to be able to get something prebuilt and fill it with drives.

My initial NAS wishlist: ZFS box(bsd or solaris) acting as media+file+archival server, with potential iSCSI volume support for prosumer video editing.

eBay! https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Z440-Workstation-Intel-xeon-E5-1650-v3-3-50GHz-112GB-RAM-NO-HDD-NO-OS-WW/153783411139

I think it was cheaper than it probably should be because (1) no HDDs (which to me was a plus--who needs a 500GB spinner anyhow?), (2) the E5-16xx line isn't really well known, so it probably gets a lot fewer searches than the E5-26xx line. It has fewer cores, less cache, and uses more power, but clocks higher, so for a single-person lab it's often actually faster at a lot of things. I still think that guy was selling them cheaper than he should have been, considering the RAM amount. :iiam:

Anyhow, if you keep searching on eBay and are open to some less-mainstream options, there are tons of deals to be had.

Just remember that Intel AMT 9.x (which is what you'll get prior to Skylake, IIRC) blows compared to legit IPMI like you'd get on a Supermicro board.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
The E5-1650, 1660, and 1680 v3 are basically the Xeon versions of the 5820K, 5930K, and 5960X and apart from the PCIe lanes and bigger RAM support (including RDIMMs/LRDIMMs, if your board supports it) are also multiplier unlocked :q:

The Asus X99 WS/IPMI is arguably the best light server board this side of Epyc because you can stuff it full of LRDIMMs and overclock it to 4.7 GHz if you want. A few weeks ago some guy was clearing out a bunch of NOS boards including the IO shield (semi hard to find) for $180 shipped.

Z440 is fine but can't overclock (it uses the workstation chipset not X99), no IPMI, won't run headless (or at least its predecessors wouldn't), it has a weird proprietary pinout on its 24-pin PSU connector, and the chassis probably won't support a ton of drives (unless you add a 5.25" to 3.5" drive cage). $380 is getting cheap enough to not feel bad about gutting it for processor and RAM though if you need/want to jettison the Z440 down the road. 1650v3 has been running around $100, you can pick up the 1680v3 (8 core) for around $175.

You can also just pony up for Epyc. Asrock Rack has a rome-compatible PCIe 3.0 epyc board for $460 ish, a 7302P upgrade kit from HPE is $677 on provantage (you need to get a torque wrench and Torx T20 bit at harbor freight, spec is 14 ftl-bs or 1.5 newton-meters). That gets you 16 cores and RDIMM support for ~$1125. The PCIe 4.0 boards are still "coming soon" but should be around $650 (including dual 10gbe as well, which is a nice plus).

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 9, 2020

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Are there any specific brands of SATA cable I should trust more than others? For example crappy displayport cables sometimes lead to all sorts of mysterious erratic behaviors. I would like to avoid that problem when attaching a disk.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

VostokProgram posted:

Are there any specific brands of SATA cable I should trust more than others? For example crappy displayport cables sometimes lead to all sorts of mysterious erratic behaviors. I would like to avoid that problem when attaching a disk.

I haven't seen any specific reports about good or bad sata cables. I usually buy in bulk from monoprice or whatever and have only seen one or two bad ones in 10 years (they weren't ones I'd purchased). If you get a bag of 5 or 10 you can always swap one out if you're having disk problems.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

VostokProgram posted:

Not for the SATA data cable. The only thing you'd need to watch out for is not to buy right angled ones depending on your case and motherboard layout.

The real danger is in the power cables, more specifically molded molex to SATA ones.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Thanks for the feedback on these! Given the caveats and such, I think I'm still happy I went with the overkill option. It'll suck more power than I'd like and probably won't ever use the extra processing capability, but it's sounding like the t7810 is going to have more of an out of the box working experience to get me off and running.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

everyone posted:

Duplicacy

Thanks for tall the feedback, I'll give this a shot! I'll post feedback in 2-3 months once the initial backup completes :classiclol:.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm using Duplicati in a Docker container and it works well enough. If your Google drive is a team drive you need to use some "advanced" features that are really poorly documented to set that up.

I'm not using team drives, I think they have an additional limit of 400,000 files or something? Either way it doesn't matter. I'm actually testing this one at the moment, once the initial backup is complete I'll try a test restore, if that works well then I'll stick with it, I'm just very ready for it to not restore properly.

Mr. Crow posted:

Yeah, this backup set won't complete nightly. I also need versioning etc, I didn't mention this because all backup applications support it, but that is absolutely a requirement.

yoloer420 fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Mar 10, 2020

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

yoloer420 posted:

• Runs on Linux
  • Works
  • Doesn't need stupid amounts of ram
  • Encrypts backups

I know of the following but have not tested them:
  • Duplicati
  • Restic + rclone
  • Borg + rclone
  • Duplicity
  • Bacula + rclone

So any thoughts?

I use both duplicacy and rclone after trying most of the above. Duplicacy works great and is the main source. However, for each node I also keep an encrypted /etc in rclone which helped a lot when I had to rebuild a machine

Mr. Crow posted:

rclone by itself isn't great on gdrive because even with an unlimited teams account there's still a rate limiter on # of requests, and I throttled myself just uploading a ton of smallish (1mb) files.

With the combo of duplicacy and rclone I have ~70TB worth of data backed up to a team gdrive.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Thermopyle posted:

FWIW, I think Backblaze B2 is what people mostly use here for bulk cloud file storage because it's cheaper than AWS.

S3 sure but I think Glacier may be cheaper... as long as you basically ever need to restore from backups :v:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Munkeymon posted:

S3 sure but I think Glacier may be cheaper... as long as you basically ever need to restore from backups :v:

I only suggested it because they already had a life cycle in place which got them to glacier. S3 is expensive because it is very high performance. Using it for hot eternal backups is not cost effective. Heck our intrepid user could slap a life cycle policy on their photos bucket and never have to worry about glacier again, but heaven help them if they accidentally thaw it because some indexer updates the mtime/ctime timestamp on every file.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Backblaze (the regular service and B2 Cloud) and Wasabi are both cheaper than AWS. But that's true for almost everything when it comes to AWS. Wasabi doesn't charge for egress so if you need to restore more frequently and are in the US, use them over S3. Use Glacier if you're a business and have regulatory requirements basically to hold onto crap for lawyers and accountants.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

The E5-1650, 1660, and 1680 v3 are basically the Xeon versions of the 5820K, 5930K, and 5960X and apart from the PCIe lanes and bigger RAM support (including RDIMMs/LRDIMMs, if your board supports it) are also multiplier unlocked :q:

Z440 is fine but can't overclock (it uses the workstation chipset not X99), no IPMI, won't run headless (or at least its predecessors wouldn't), it has a weird proprietary pinout on its 24-pin PSU connector, and the chassis probably won't support a ton of drives (unless you add a 5.25" to 3.5" drive cage). $380 is getting cheap enough to not feel bad about gutting it for processor and RAM though if you need/want to jettison the Z440 down the road. 1650v3 has been running around $100, you can pick up the 1680v3 (8 core) for around $175.

True on all points. The Z440 chasis in particular is actually pretty quiet for what it is, but only has onboard support for something like 2x 3.5" slide-in drives, and an open 3x 5.25" bay. I had a 4x3.5" dock that happens to fit in the space I opened up by simply removing one of the front fans near the bottom of the box. The specialty pinout for the PSU was particularly obnoxious, since it means you can't move the mobo to another case without ponying up for a $40 adapter. With AMT 9 you could effectively run headless in an Enterprise environment, but for a home user that's not possible--I ended up slapping ESXi on it and can do KVM that way.

Overall I'm happy with it, but it certainly has a few gotchas that I hadn't anticipated.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
The Z4xx are actually pretty nice as far as workstations go, I was given a Z420 that was equipped with a liquid cooler from the factory. Ended up giving it to a friend since I have too many PCs and it's kind of power hungry (but he was still using the old Phenom II x4 I gave him previously). And I am still using an old Z400 as a backup server (although the RAM is starting to die, so I either need to replace that or get rid of it). They are very nicely engineered little cases for what they are, they just aren't a Fractal Design case with 27 drives worth of capacity.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
I agree that they're pretty nice for what they are--and they're actually smaller and quieter than I expected, especially when I cracked it open and saw some 40mm fans pointed at the RAM banks. Mostly I'm just annoyed at the lack of drive space (understandable, kinda) and that they went with a custom PSU pin-out for basically no other reason than to gently caress you over if you wanted to put the guts in a different case. Which, while annoying, is also typical of Dell/HP/etc who feel that "gently caress you into vendor lock in" is a viable business strategy.

But again, for $400 shipped I really can't complain that it's not perfect. A comparable SuperMicro motherboard alone would be $200.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Edit: I am bad at deal searching and am bad at posting

necrobobsledder fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Mar 11, 2020

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

necrobobsledder posted:

Edit: I am bad at deal searching and am bad at posting

It's ok, friend.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
If I have a Dell R630, can I adapt the 2.5" drive slots on the front for SSDs? Maybe using something like this to electrically adapt an M.2 drive? I have read that the onboard PERC controller can read the drives as SATA instead of the normal SAS but not sure how to electrically interface it.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Hed posted:

If I have a Dell R630, can I adapt the 2.5" drive slots on the front for SSDs? Maybe using something like this to electrically adapt an M.2 drive? I have read that the onboard PERC controller can read the drives as SATA instead of the normal SAS but not sure how to electrically interface it.

Why not just use 2.5" sata drives instead of m.2?

Moey fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Mar 11, 2020

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

Hed posted:

That would likely work as long as the drives themselves are SATA and not PCIe, but are m.2 drives really cheaper than 2.5" ones?

I can't say for certain, though. Server vendors like to pull weird whitelisting/lockout bullshit but I haven't had any problems using Samsung 2.5" SSDs in my R720 running the PERC h710p.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I just had some matched m.2s but can certainly put in 2.5" themselves. The R630 has a PERC H730 Mini embedded in it and that's what I wanted to make sure will work, even if I have to pull out the two SAS drives. I'll try it out, thanks!

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
Oh if you have them laying around then yeah, might as well.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

necrobobsledder posted:

Backblaze (the regular service and B2 Cloud) and Wasabi are both cheaper than AWS. But that's true for almost everything when it comes to AWS. Wasabi doesn't charge for egress so if you need to restore more frequently and are in the US, use them over S3. Use Glacier if you're a business and have regulatory requirements basically to hold onto crap for lawyers and accountants.
In my case, the bulk of my data is my photography collection and I am doing the digital equivalent of burning a CD and putting it on the shelf, only to be required if I have a house fire that wipes out the 3 different HDDs where I keep the live copy on.

Blackblaze seems to get enough negative customer reviews to give me concern: yeah, yeah, stupid users, etc, but mutterings of missing chunks of backup data is concerning

H110Hawk posted:

I only suggested it because they already had a life cycle in place which got them to glacier. S3 is expensive because it is very high performance. Using it for hot eternal backups is not cost effective. Heck our intrepid user could slap a life cycle policy on their photos bucket and never have to worry about glacier again, but heaven help them if they accidentally thaw it because some indexer updates the mtime/ctime timestamp on every file.
That did worry me a lot, so I ended up in dividing the Glacier backup tasks into chunks, running them and disabling them until I need to add to a specific archive.

Munkeymon posted:

If I needed to restore, it would be the result of a whole-house fire and so I'd be needed to make a substantial insurance claim. I checked and the cost of restoring data from a backup would be covered, so that's not a worry.

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer
12TB Easystores are $180 again, go hog wild!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Hed posted:

That should work just fine. SAS connectors designed to work with SATA drives and we use that exact same adapter at work for M.2 drive testing.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Shut up Meg posted:

That did worry me a lot, so I ended up in dividing the Glacier backup tasks into chunks, running them and disabling them until I need to add to a specific archive.

If I needed to restore, it would be the result of a whole-house fire and so I'd be needed to make a substantial insurance claim. I checked and the cost of restoring data from a backup would be covered, so that's not a worry.

I think you have a smart system in place. Especially if your folders are basically photos/2019 (2018, etc). One job per year, glacier for the historical, s3 or whatever for hot files.

Glacier restore is expensive but if you can spread it out over a few months it's going to drop in price substantially.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Shut up Meg posted:

Huh! I should ask my agent about this.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Shut up Meg posted:

In my case, the bulk of my data is my photography collection and I am doing the digital equivalent of burning a CD and putting it on the shelf, only to be required if I have a house fire that wipes out the 3 different HDDs where I keep the live copy on.

On the first part - depending on your tolerance for uploading to Amazon and Google's consumer services, both of them offer free* backup for photos. AWS is full-res as far as I know but only covers actual photos (any other files, including videos, count against your paid storage and you only get something like 5GB free). Google is free if you let them shrink your photos to "high quality". The other major caveat is the only way to upload are some basic Windows / macOS clients, no way to do it natively on a headless *nix server. Works well in a Windows VM if you've got the horsepower for that.

I wouldn't use it in place of your existing solutions, but I'd consider adding it if you can make it work, since you clearly value that data.

On the second part - I suppose it makes sense, I think a lot of homeowners' policies these days cover some form of data recovery. Neat.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

ChiralCondensate posted:

12TB Easystores are $180 again, go hog wild!

Holding out for 14's at that price, while sweating profusely as my usage ticks up bit by bit

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Debating which OS to use for my new NAS. All it will be doing is hosting a ZFS array over NFS and Samba. I have more familiarity with Debian based distros at home, and RHEL based distros at work. I was thinking FreeBSD originally for the NAS, but with FreeBSD switching to ZoL anyways, it seems like I might as well just use Ubuntu Server for the NAS to make it easy.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

fletcher posted:

Debating which OS to use for my new NAS. All it will be doing is hosting a ZFS array over NFS and Samba. I have more familiarity with Debian based distros at home, and RHEL based distros at work. I was thinking FreeBSD originally for the NAS, but with FreeBSD switching to ZoL anyways, it seems like I might as well just use Ubuntu Server for the NAS to make it easy.
Nothing outside of FreeBSD and Illumos-derivatives has the integration with ZFS that gives access to boot enviroments, being able to manage separate datasets in jails/zones, FDE-encrypted / on ZFS supported by the loader (FreeBSD-only), or NFSv4ACLs (FreeBSD-only, and something that matters a lot with NFS client in Windows (Professional+ editions, at least) and the recent SMBv3 compression vulnerability).
Also, I'm not even sure OpenZFS2.0 is supposed to land before 13.0-RELEASE, but even then it's still very far away.

EDIT: There's also the features going into ZFS which will first have to be adopted to OpenZFS2.0, assuming they can be, such as lockless object aquiring, this, deduplicated dbufs accounting, sleepable locking, scalability improvements, and those are just changes not derived from OpenZFS2.0 merged code, from this year.

EDIT 2: Plus, there's a bunch of almost-unsolvable issues for ZFS on Linux, because they aren't going to get any input on how the VM and other subsystems work, given both Linus' and Gregs reactions (and FUD) about ZFS; example of this are things like proper kernelthread grouping, taskqueue optimizations, VM locking atomics, and even atomic operations on 32-bit platforms to prevent shorn reads and writes.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 11, 2020

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The Milkman posted:

Holding out for 14's at that price, while sweating profusely as my usage ticks up bit by bit

:same:
6.4 TB free...

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

:same:
4.1 TB free...

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Moey posted:

4.1 TB free...

This is after temporarily moving over a few large TV series I wasn't actively watching to one of my PCs that happened to have a 5TB drive in it.

I need to pretty much just rebuild from scratch at this point. On the plus side, I could copy literally everything to a single drive for holding.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Oh you sweet summer children.

pre:
⟫ sudo zfs list
NAME    USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
tank1  21.0T  65.6G  21.0T  /tank1
tank2  20.7T   329G  20.7T  /tank2
tank3  28.1T   196M  28.1T  /tank3

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
You two need to panic, now.

I do have a pair of Seagate 8tb archive drives I could use if needed. Mirroring them will keep me chugging.

Current upgrade plan is something like a QNAP TS-932X with 5x big drives for media and 4x SSD for VM storage.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Is there any risk in having your NAS be on 8 hours per day and go to sleep the rest of the day? Would the hdds degrade quicker or something?

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Buddy I'm down to 1.5TB of ~20TB (6x 5TB RaidZ2) :sweatdrop:

Thinking fondly back to when 20TB seemed like an unfillable expanse, the decadence of which had not been seen since the age of kings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

fletcher posted:

I've been running the 20.04 ubuntu "beta" for a bit now. It does a install directly on zfs, works out all the boot pool / root pool stuff for you. The latest update to zsysd also does snapshots based on apt installs and a few other neat things. Sadly it's a "desktop" OS, but I've got it running headless on my NAS and have no complaints about it.

pre:
filename:       /lib/modules/5.4.0-14-generic/kernel/zfs/zfs.ko
version:        0.8.3-1ubuntu3
license:        CDDL
author:         OpenZFS on Linux
description:    ZFS
alias:          devname:zfs