Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

yeah it was probably just nothing.. good catch! glad you got it sorted out for everyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1237113949281308673

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

zoux posted:

I saw a thing where the Onion editorial staff decided to be fully pro-Bernie for the cycle to expiate the guilt they feel through elevating Biden in the "Diamond Joe" stuff throughout the Obama admin but: I don't think they have the reach they think and I'm not sure how portraying Joe Biden as a dirtbag black sheep uncle was supposed to improve his profile

I mean that fundamentally who he is.

They could go harder on the fact his brain don’t work if they wanted too

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Last Chance posted:

yeah it was probably just nothing.. good catch! glad you got it sorted out for everyone

The base of Biden's comeback is overwhelmingly older Black voters in the South, so the idea that they're being influence by The Onion is... questionable. Even if they made a lot of money off of it, the argument that it's been politically impactful doesn't really register with me.

I don't think it's just the narcissism of internet popularity, though. I think The Onion's writers are New York based, and they're probably running in circles that are overwhelmingly pro-Bernie, and they probably take some poo poo, personally, for "Diamond" Joe. Plus, The Onion's readers (and thus, ad sales) probably skew heavily pro-Bernie and this is a much better way to sell it than "we're pandering to our demographic." Like, you're not gonna sell comedy to Bernie supporters that make jokes about his heart attack or his history with the F-35.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I mean, you're allowed to feel bad for contributing to something you don't want happening without being the main cause of it. I don't feel like Diamond Joe made a huge effect (otherwise we'd be seeing shades of it in Biden's messaging, and we aren't), but I can respect that they regret their own small part in it. It's a bit like the late-night hosts regretting they softballed with Donald Trump and were generally too friendly in the 2016 election; their effect probably wasn't the main cause of his success, but they contributed in a small way that they wish they didn't.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Most of Biden’s support is basically name recognition so they probably contributed some

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I can't find the article now but the writers for The Onion have specifically said that they regret not mocking Joe Biden earlier. I think that was even before he ran for president this time around, but I can't confirm that.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

ultrafilter posted:

I can't find the article now but the writers for The Onion have specifically said that they regret not mocking Joe Biden earlier. I think that was even before he ran for president this time around, but I can't confirm that.

it was linked last page and in a quote on this page which is why there was discussion about it

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Precambrian posted:

The base of Biden's comeback is overwhelmingly older Black voters in the South, so the idea that they're being influence by The Onion is... questionable. Even if they made a lot of money off of it, the argument that it's been politically impactful doesn't really register with me.

I don't think it's just the narcissism of internet popularity, though. I think The Onion's writers are New York based, and they're probably running in circles that are overwhelmingly pro-Bernie, and they probably take some poo poo, personally, for "Diamond" Joe. Plus, The Onion's readers (and thus, ad sales) probably skew heavily pro-Bernie and this is a much better way to sell it than "we're pandering to our demographic." Like, you're not gonna sell comedy to Bernie supporters that make jokes about his heart attack or his history with the F-35.

Chicago, actually.

I just don't see how Diamond Joe Biden, a bail-jumping drug smuggling, teen-girl-lechering (that one's true I guess), 1970s era police movie narcotics informant is supposed to be anything but a skewering.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

zoux posted:

Chicago, actually.

I just don't see how Diamond Joe Biden, a bail-jumping drug smuggling, teen-girl-lechering (that one's true I guess), 1970s era police movie narcotics informant is supposed to be anything but a skewering.

I guess my read would be that despite Diamond Joe being all those things you said, he was consistently portrayed as an earnest, relatable, empathetic everyman, and that the joke came from the contrast of that with the decorum of the executive office.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

zoux posted:

That sounds like something a cop would say.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Listen bud I don't want you to think I'm a cop. If I was I'd have to tell you right haha

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

zoux posted:

Chicago, actually.

It makes him fun and relateable and you cheer for his antics, like jumping the reflecting pool in the national mall with a motorcycle, or wearing a wacky suit to his debates with Andrew Ryan. He comes off as an uncle-like figure whose peak was 40 years ago but he doesn't let that stop him.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well Biden has very, very low support among young people and very, very high support among old people. Which group reads the Onion?

My point is that The Onion did nothing to make Biden more popular or whatever.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

zoux posted:

My point is that The Onion did nothing to make Biden more popular or whatever.

It's hard to quantify because we don't have the universe where the Onion didn't go with Diamond Joe, but even then they still took actions that gave Biden a much more likable persona, and that's the regret. The statistical impact doesn't undo the deed.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

no , your incorrect the onion has no relevance or influence on the media

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Don't bring my incorrect into this!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1237831682000027653

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1237798718155390981

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Sad Kevin is having a field day this week, evidently.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/BetootaAdvocate/status/1238013005624819718

Never heard of this site before, but this one made me chuckle.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
https://twitter.com/KristerJohnson/status/1237806689094520832

:3:

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

That just looks so much like Will Forte.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

:nws: Naked Woman Picture Gains Popularity On Internet :nws:

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
This seems relevant...

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/981151107224399872

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

6 Dogs Who Know How To Have Fun

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

GOP Urges End Of Quarantine For Lifeless Bipedal Automatons That Make Economy Go

Olympic Dressage Rider Enraged After Spending Past 4 Years Jauntily Trotting Around On Horse For Nothing

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Reminds me of this one:

U.S. Military Sends A Few More Of Those Things Over To Afghanistan To Replace Dead Ones

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

I see the Clickhole guys just jumped over to regular Onion.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

I don't get it, this is just a real news story

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Haunting Photographs Capture Empty Spaces Around The Country Amid Shelter-In-Place Orders

it's a series of photos of various glory holes

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

cumshitter :ohdear:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/REALpunknews/status/1243930943515213824

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Okay, that's a good one. :newlol:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I don't think wishful thinking counts as satire

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

prefect posted:

Okay, that's a good one. :newlol:

Eh

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

I'm genuinely impressed, this manages to work the Onion's 'last line is a killer' into a pre-existing meme format.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

When will the "Sexy Coronavirus" and "Sexy ICU Nurse" halloween costumes start appearing?

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Stoatbringer posted:

When will the "Sexy Coronavirus" and "Sexy ICU Nurse" halloween costumes start appearing?

Closer to November, I'd guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Sexy Ventilator