Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

The only time I've ever given much of a poo poo about being raided was when I had holdings in eastern Europe or west Asia, where you're much more prone to adventurer raids from nomads. Far more annoying than naval raids imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I think they've already confirmed that they're doing away with the CK2 system of separate boats. Once you order an army onto a sea tiles, they get boats automatically but you start paying a healthy chunk of gold for it.

The CK1 system, in other words.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The most annoying raiding I've seen is in my New England game of After the End where I was getting hit by the occasional Rust Cultist, but also vikings all united and reformed and just kept sending troops to wreck my westernmost provinces, Occultists came down from the north, and loving pirates zoomed in from all the way down in the caribbean.

The problem with diminishing return systems is that historically, there were significant raiding groups into the 18th century. Places where raiding trailed off was a cross between military advancements to defend and retaliate against raids, as well as the organization so that the raiding societies would be constrained by whatever central political authority stopping them from attacking at will.

There's a famous thing where the Ottoman Sultan asked the Cossacks very nicely to stop raiding in the 17th century, and they had a very interesting response.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQTlT8-qYUk

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

What the gently caress Merchant Republics are allowed to do matrilinear marriages now if they pass Full Status of Women??? When did that change? I had always assumed breeding in bloodlines was impossible for MRs because of the lack of matrilinear transfer, but now I can do it hot drat.

Also it sucks that MRs can't pass Imperial Admin or any similar law that gives the big bonus to vassal limit. I want a huge-rear end MR empire without having to hand out kingdom titles all the drat time.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

SlothfulCobra posted:

The most annoying raiding I've seen is in my New England game of After the End where I was getting hit by the occasional Rust Cultist, but also vikings all united and reformed and just kept sending troops to wreck my westernmost provinces, Occultists came down from the north, and loving pirates zoomed in from all the way down in the caribbean.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQTlT8-qYUk

ATE in particular is just lousy with raiding. When I did a Chicago run, I had to restart more than a few times because if a meaty raid stack showed up on my capital within the first few years, there was no dislodging them. Even after I got past the early game, I had to plan around my capital being raided all the time.

(honestly the most annoying part was when raiders just waltz across my entire realm to my capital and only become hostile when they pause. Until they do, they have much smaller models, making them way harder to notice).

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
https://store.steampowered.com/app/449980/Expansion__Crusader_Kings_II_The_Reapers_Due/

Reaper's Due is free

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Why does the game just arbitrarily decide that I can't raid certain realms? I've got no peace treaties or anything.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SirPhoebos posted:

Why does the game just arbitrarily decide that I can't raid certain realms? I've got no peace treaties or anything.

If they've attacked your raiding group and won it gives you a temporary non-aggression pact where you can't raid them again for a period of time.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

If they've attacked your raiding group and won it gives you a temporary non-aggression pact where you can't raid them again for a period of time.

How "temporary" are we talking?

And do your vassal's raiders count against this as well?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
5 Years.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

It fuckin owns when the pope won’t crown me unless I depose the antipope set up by the Holy Roman Emperor.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

It fuckin owns when the pope won’t crown me unless I depose the antipope set up by the Holy Roman Emperor.

Declare your own antipope and make him crown you. The Holy Roman Emperor has the right idea.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It'd be cool if you could go sign up with someone else's antipope, if you didn't like the pope in Rome but didn't want to set one up yourself.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

It's your fault for trying to subvert Imperio Transito. :colbert:

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
This is also the CK3 thread, right? Dev diary: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru.../&sdpDevPosts=1

skipping the images:

quote:

Good afternoon, everyone. I’m Magne “Meneth” Skjæran. You might know me from the CK2 dev diaries or the Paradox Wikis, but for the last couple of years I’ve been working on CK3 as a programmer. Today we’re going to cover a number of topics closely related to government types: governments themselves, vassal management, laws, and raiding.

Let's start off with a familiar concept from CK2: governments. For the player, we have three playable governments: Feudal, Tribal, and Clan, which each have some significant differences in how they play.

The Feudal government type is based on European feudalism, and is heavily based around the idea of obligations: you owe service to your liege, and your liege owes you protection in return. It is the most common government form in the game. Feudal realms play pretty similarly to CK2, focusing on claims and inheritance more so than the other government forms.

A new addition in CK3 is Feudal Contracts. Every feudal vassal (except barons) has an individual contract with you, rather than obligations being set realm-wide. These contracts have three levels; Low, Medium, and High, with Medium being the default. High will provide more levies and tax at the cost of an opinion hit, while Low provides less but improves opinion. Higher levels are usually better (though perhaps not if you’re at risk of your vassals revolting), but cannot be imposed unilaterally.

You’ll need to have a hook on your vassal in order to increase their obligations unless you’re fine with all your vassals considering you a tyrant, but you can always lower them. As a result this means you can significantly increase your power if you’re able to obtain hooks on your vassals; perhaps a bit of judicious blackmail might be in order?

Feudal Contract.png
[Modifying a Feudal Contract]

Furthermore we have the Clan government form. This government is the rough equivalent of the Iqta government in CK2, though in CK3 it does have a more Feudal bent than it did previously.

The Clan government type is used by most Muslim realms. This government puts more emphasis on the family rather than the realm, with most vassals being members of your dynasty. Obligations are heavily based on opinion rather than being contractual, with happy vassals providing significantly more taxes and levies than unhappy ones. A happy family is a powerful family.

Clan governments also have access to the Clan Invasion casus belli, which can be used once in a lifetime at the highest level of Fame to invade a kingdom, providing a powerful boon for a well-established clan ruler.

Finally we have Tribal realms. Much like in CK2 these have their own Tribal holding type, providing more troops but less tax. Additionally, most tribals are able to go on raids, which you can read more about below. Tribal realms are unaffected by development, and cause non-tribal realms to have lower supply limits in their lands, making them a tougher nut to crack, but reducing their influence as the years drag on. Tribal realms also pay for men at arms using prestige rather than gold, allowing smaller realms to punch above their weight.

Tribal rulers base their obligations on levels of Fame rather than on contracts or opinion; the more famous your ruler is, the more troops and money your vassals will be willing to provide for your pursuits.

Finally, Tribal rulers have a once-in-a-lifetime Subjugation casus belli, allowing them to forcibly vassalize an entire realm.

As the game goes on, you can eventually reform out of Tribalism, becoming a Clan or Feudal realm instead.

Vassal Overview.png
[The vassal management tab]

To get an easy overview of your realm, we in CK3 have the Realm screen. Let’s start with the Vassals tab of this screen where all your vassals are shown. This gives you a clear overview of where your levies and taxes come from, who might be a threat to you, and allows you to renegotiate feudal contracts.

This is also where you change your crown authority (or tribal authority), which I’ll talk more about later in this dev diary.

Lastly, the screen shows your Powerful Vassals. Much like in CK2’s Conclave DLC, your realm will have some powerful vassals; these expect to be seated on the council, and will make their displeasure known if that is not the case.

Domain overview.png
[The Domain Tab]

Then we have the Domain tab. This lets you easily inspect your domain, showing where you’re earning money and levies, and where you can build more buildings. It also shows the level of development and control in the counties you personally hold, letting you easily tell where you can make improvements.

Finally we have the Succession tab. Due to being a bit of a work in progress, I’m afraid I can’t show you a picture of it right now. Here you can change your succession laws, see your heir(s), and check what titles, if any, you will lose when you die. If you hold any elective titles, you’ll be able to easily get to the election screen from here.

Now with all these mentions of laws, let's go through what laws exist. We’ve trimmed down the number of laws from CK2 as much of what used to be law is handled on a more individual level now, but some still remains.

Like in CK2, we have crown authority for Feudal and Clan realms, and tribal authority for Tribal realms. Higher levels of authority unlock mechanics like imprisonment (for tribals, the others start with it), title revocation, restrictions on internal wars, and heir designation. However, increasing these levels will make your vassals unhappy. Tribal authority is significantly less powerful than crown authority, representing how Tribal governments over time gradually got supplanted by Feudal and Clan governments.

Succession Laws.png
[Changing succession law]

Then there’s succession laws. To no one’s surprise, Gavelkind is making a return, though we’ve renamed it to Partition to make it more obvious what it actually means. This is the default succession form of most realms in both 867 and 1066.

For added fun, there’s now three variants of Partition. We’ve got regular Partition, which functions like Gavelkind in CK2; your realm gets split roughly equally between your heirs, and any heirs that end up a lower tier than your primary heir becomes a vassal.

However, many realms start with a worse form, especially in 867. This is Confederate Partition, which will also create titles of your primary title’s tier if possible. So if you as Norway have conquered all of Sweden but destroyed the kingdom itself, it will get recreated on your death so that your second heir becomes an independent ruler. Tribals are typically locked to this succession type, with some exceptions.

Finally we have an improved version of Partition: High Partition. Under High Partition your primary heir will always get at least half your titles, so it doesn’t matter if you’ve got 2 or 10 kids; your primary heir will get the same amount of land.

We’ve also done a lot of tweaks to the internal logic of who gets what titles, which tends to lead to far nicer splits than in CK2; border gore will of course still happen, but to a lesser degree than before.

Then we have the other succession forms. There’s Oldest Child Succession (replacing Primogeniture), Youngest Child Succession (replacing Ultimogeniture), and House Seniority. A notable difference from CK2’s Seniority Succession is that under House Seniority, the oldest eligible member of your house inherits, not of your entire dynasty.

We also have a number of variants on elective succession, ranging from Feudal Elective, to Princely Elective (HRE succession), and a handful of cultural variants. Each of these have different restrictions on who can vote, who can be elected, and how the AI will select who to vote for.

Additionally, we’ve got a full suite of gender laws, corresponding to the gender laws in CK2. These are: Male Only, Male Preference, Equal, Female Preference, and Female Only.

Finally, we have raiding. If you’re a Norwegian like me, sometimes you feel your Viking blood coursing through your veins, the noise of it drowning out everything else. Times like this, there’s only one solution: go on a raid.

Fans of Pagan gameplay in CK2 will be glad to hear that not only have we implemented raiding in CK3 as well, we’ve made some improvements to it to make it more fun to play with, and less unfun to be on the receiving end of.

The core system is very similar to CK2. If you’re a Pagan or Tribal ruler, you have the ability to raid other rulers’ lands. To do so you raise a raid army, and march or sail over to your target. Only the Norse can raid across sea; other raid armies will simply be unable to embark.

Rally Point.png
[Raising a raid army]

Once at your target your army will start looting the barony they’re in. This is a pretty quick process, but during it your army will be unable to move, preventing you from running away from any counter-raiding force. This change makes it a lot simpler to deal with raiders if you’ve got enough men and can raise them quickly enough, as the AI won’t just immediately run away.

Raid Lindisfarne.png
[A raid in progress]

While in CK2 raiding was done on a county level, in CK3 it is on a barony level. Another difference is that in CK3 raiding no longer uses the siege mechanics directly, but rather a similar system where things like siege engines do not have an impact since you’re raiding the countryside, not a heavily fortified castle.

Another significant change is that if you beat a raid army, you receive all the gold they’re carrying. This means that even if you cannot respond instantly to a raid, it is still very much worth it to beat up the raiders. Like in CK2, you also become immune to raiding by that enemy for several years.

Just like in CK2, a raid army is limited in how much loot it can carry based on the army size. Loot is deposited once the army is back in friendly lands, after which you might either disband or go raiding once more.

On the quality of life side, we now show on the map what provinces have already been raided when you have a raid army selected. This makes it easy to see what places to avoid. Hovering over a province will also tell you how much loot raiding it would provide.

Raid.png
[Northern England in its natural state]

That’s all for today, folks. Tune in next week to learn more about how war functions in Crusader Kings 3.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

quote:

While in CK2 raiding was done on a county level, in CK3 it is on a barony level.

RIP those of you who wanted less fiddly raiding. Maybe the other raiding changes will make up for it.

Also I am 100% on board with making the game more transparent and approachable but it seems like a shame to replace primogeniture, gavelkind, etc. with "Oldest Child Succession", "Partition Succession", etc. Part of the fun was learning all those medieval terms.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Yeah, the flavor is a significant part of CK. Seems like it'd be just as easy to keep it the flavorful name and then just start the tooltip with the descriptive name.

It doesn't seem like there's anything major changing to differentiate government forms either, which was one of the big things I wanted from CK2.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

fuf posted:

RIP those of you who wanted less fiddly raiding. Maybe the other raiding changes will make up for it.

Also I am 100% on board with making the game more transparent and approachable but it seems like a shame to replace primogeniture, gavelkind, etc. with "Oldest Child Succession", "Partition Succession", etc. Part of the fun was learning all those medieval terms.

It would be nice if there was a localization option, like how cultural titles was an option in CK2. (An option I always picked because I love learning all those terms.)

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

fuf posted:

Agree. And just a tooltip explaining what those words means is enough to make it transparent

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Neurion posted:

The only time I've ever given much of a poo poo about being raided was when I had holdings in eastern Europe or west Asia, where you're much more prone to adventurer raids from nomads. Far more annoying than naval raids imo.

Raiding is annoying as poo poo in all my Alexiad starts. North African counts always like to drop a stack of 500 men on Constantinople, failing to tick away at the siege counter but reducing the county wealth nonetheless. Nomads also seem to show up there a poo poo ton, suddenly raiding Thrace with 5000 men. You can usually work against this by stationing retinues in those counties (to at least force battle and allow you to raise levies mid-fight), but it's annoying as poo poo to have it happen at least twice a year when all the steppe nomads have been beaten back to Siberia and I control the Middle East.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

DrPop posted:

Raiding is annoying as poo poo in all my Alexiad starts. North African counts always like to drop a stack of 500 men on Constantinople, failing to tick away at the siege counter but reducing the county wealth nonetheless. Nomads also seem to show up there a poo poo ton, suddenly raiding Thrace with 5000 men. You can usually work against this by stationing retinues in those counties (to at least force battle and allow you to raise levies mid-fight), but it's annoying as poo poo to have it happen at least twice a year when all the steppe nomads have been beaten back to Siberia and I control the Middle East.

well in CK3, only Norse can raid via sea. Because "put guys in boats and then burn their poo poo" is a one-in-a-billion fluke of an idea that couldn't crop up anywhere else

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

DrPop posted:

Raiding is annoying as poo poo in all my Alexiad starts. North African counts always like to drop a stack of 500 men on Constantinople, failing to tick away at the siege counter but reducing the county wealth nonetheless.
In situations like this, control-click the 'raise liege levies' button on the county. Your personal levies organize at max morale so force-raising your levies of a jillion dudes will smash these mosquito bites and keep them from sucking your blood for a few years. After the raid is crushed you can just dismiss the levies again.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Too much work

I usually just let them bastards get their loot, is not like it makes that much of a difference. Unless is early game and Im still poor

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
that is some next level ennui

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Kaza42 posted:

well in CK3, only Norse can raid via sea. Because "put guys in boats and then burn their poo poo" is a one-in-a-billion fluke of an idea that couldn't crop up anywhere else

weird to suddenly care about this one thing breaking immersion when there are roughly a million compromises for the sake of gameplay

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I really dig the dynamic of having more legal business to finagle your vassals with, and the ease of losing all your progress in tightening your grip sounds like a great way for large empires to be enfeebled under weak rulers and even create that wide vs. tall dynamic people keep clamoring about. Since manipulation of law is probably the biggest way to interact with subjects, it's real nice to have more control over that. More complex inheritance law is also good.

I feel like I'd want ways as a vassal to cheat and underpay what I owe to my lord, possibly to my own peril. I'd also kinda like some way to centralize and deal with more vassals as a group, but that's sort of a thing that started happening after the time period of Crusader Kings, and even then Austria never managed it.

Also :argh: low contrast text screenshots!

Coolguye posted:

Well technically the strategy for dealing with raiders used to be just giving all the border lands to one lord so he can deal with it instead of bothering the boss with it every time.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

a fatguy baldspot posted:

weird to suddenly care about this one thing breaking immersion when there are roughly a million compromises for the sake of gameplay

Nah, I don't really care about immersion. Just seems funny to limit it everywhere but one spot

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Since it feels like a fair bit of my late games as any decently large empire is either fighting off raiders or deciding not to fight off raiders because I have an actual war to win, I am very hopeful that these raiding changes make it less annoying to deal with.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Coolguye posted:

I just never felt pressed to keep fighting then. They are annoying, for sure, but it wont take that much gold so let them have their fun. Raising levies to go after them every time makes it 300% more annoying

Unless Im really low on gold, of course

edit: it would be nice if in CK3 we could spend some money in coastal defenses or something like that to auto defend from raiders so we dont have to do it manually every time

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Kaza42 posted:

Nah, I don't really care about immersion. Just seems funny to limit it everywhere but one spot

I mean, I get what they're trying to do with the restriction (assuming some sort of principled reason rather than Paradox being a bunch of homers) but surely a better way to do it is to, say, vastly up the atrition for embarked armies/raiders either directly or through storm-like events (which really should happen anyway, naval transport in CK2 was way too safe) and then give Norse reduced effects from that somehow, instead of somehow pretending that only the Vikings were able to unlock the arcane secret of "climbing onto boats and going somewhere to take their stuff".

Although I remember reading that embarking in CK3 is going to look more like CK1's "pay a bunch of gold and just go there" than CK2's boats? Was that just a nightmare?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

fuf posted:

Agnatic, cognatic, primogeniture- these aren't "mediaeval" terms, they're just... the terms. Gavelkind being "gavelkind" instead of "partible inheritance" or whatever was always a weird and ugly exception, to be honest.

But congrats on Paradox for finding a way to make it uglier :toot:

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Dallan Invictus posted:

Although I remember reading that embarking in CK3 is going to look more like CK1's "pay a bunch of gold and just go there" than CK2's boats? Was that just a nightmare?

It's a mix. You still travel via boat, but you don't have separate Ship Levies anymore. You just move units onto sea zones and pay money to transform them into boats temporarily.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

do raiders actually steal your gold?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If you made those events happen much more often on the atlantic and north sea than the mediterranean, you restore the ability of muslims to raid the hell out of Europe as well.

Here's hoping for a Fraxinet.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Are these still the go-to guides for beginners?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Agnatic, cognatic, primogeniture- these aren't "mediaeval" terms, they're just... the terms. Gavelkind being "gavelkind" instead of "partible inheritance" or whatever was always a weird and ugly exception, to be honest.

But congrats on Paradox for finding a way to make it uglier :toot:

That reminds me, CK1 had Salic vs semi-Salic succession. And consanguinity! Good times.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

That reminds me, CK1 had Salic vs semi-Salic succession. And consanguinity! Good times.

yeah that ruled. still remember my confusion on booting that game up, it was already old as poo poo when i got into it lmao

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Look Sir Droids posted:

Are these still the go-to guides for beginners?

Some of the information might be a little outdated by more recent expansions and updates, but the information is still mostly relevant.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Can I get some acetylsalic succession?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

SlothfulCobra posted:

Can I get some acetylsalic succession?

Sure, let me go get my flatulent goat.

I'm okay with most of those changes. Agreed on the succession terminology issue, any game that actually teaches me vocabulary is a Good Game.

High Partition succession actually looks fun, since I can never be bothered to try and control my dude's mating habits.