Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Craptacular! posted:

I can’t remember if you’re an ex-mod, but IMO if your post wishes death on major political figures, you should reconsider. Lowtax has already had enough police visits for a lifetime.

Why are all of your posts so bad dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Its in the name.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Craptacular! posted:

I can’t remember if you’re an ex-mod, but IMO if your post wishes death on major political figures, you should reconsider. Lowtax has already had enough police visits for a lifetime.

And you'll be the guy to call 'em in, no doubt. But fine, I changed the wording but kept the literal exact sentiment because 9/11 has permanently busted the brains of idiots.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/v...of_winning.html

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Welp, got news that my son’s high school is preparing to move to the teach all classes online at home phase.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I was wondering why traffic this morning, turns out effective today SJSU suspended all in-person classes. I uh, I guess that'd do it yes.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Sydin posted:

I was wondering why traffic this morning, turns out effective today SJSU suspended all in-person classes. I uh, I guess that'd do it yes.

That explains the college guys playing beer pong on the lawn of the house across the street in the middle of the day. I mean, they might be doing that normally, but no classes is an especially good reason.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

pairofdimes posted:

That explains the college guys playing beer pong on the lawn of the house across the street in the middle of the day. I mean, they might be doing that normally, but no classes is an especially good reason.

Yeah the email they sent out says classes are suspended for a few days then everything is moving to online. Thankfully that will be pretty doable with all of the digital infrastructure they have. Dunno about labs for physical sciences tho, that will affect my department but I personally don't have those thankless TA assignments anymore.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

And you'll be the guy to call 'em in, no doubt. But fine, I changed the wording but kept the literal exact sentiment because 9/11 has permanently busted the brains of idiots.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/v...of_winning.html

Nah, he was right, that was hosed up.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

I don't see how wishing death via Coronavirus on pols is that much different than the idiot who tweeted something to the effect of "49 to go" when Giffords was shot. And no, I don't report people, don't even have platinum to use the report button. I just call out people when I see them.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Here's hoping all wrong thinking politicians have a scary, but ultimately harmless brush with coronavirus and emerge with a newfound appreciation for public health and the importance of universal healthcare?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Foxfire_ posted:

Here's hoping all wrong thinking politicians have a scary, but ultimately harmless brush with coronavirus and emerge with a newfound appreciation for public health and the importance of universal healthcare?

Now you're sounding like a proper liberal! Good work.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Unfortunately old people in every other state are making sure that the Democrats will be running a right wing conservative with melting brains against the Republicans running their right wing conservative with a melting brain.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
If COVID-19 ultimately doesn't do any lasting damage we will absolutely return back to the status quo and you know it. Those in power will do anything to maintain the existing social order and having the working class' access to medical care be contingent on bowing to their employers is a key part of that order.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Sydin posted:

If COVID-19 ultimately doesn't do any lasting damage we will absolutely return back to the status quo and you know it. Those in power will do anything to maintain the existing social order and having the working class' access to medical care be contingent on bowing to their employers is a key part of that order.

It definitely has the chance to just become a new normal. "Hey there's a superflu now anyways we're upping copays again and the vaccine for the superflu is tripling in price. If you can't afford a thousand dollars for a vaccine here's a fifty page form to complete in triplicate and maybe we'll help you pay for half of it in six to ten weeks."

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I wonder if many of you are old enough to remember the opening years of the AIDS epidemic. It was not something that worked out great for disadvantaged classes of people. My instinct is that the worse COVID-19 gets, the worse things get for disadvantaged people, there's no silver lining.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
You don't need to be old enough to remember the AIDS epidemic to come to the conclusion that the poor and disadvantaged will bear the overwhelming brunt of COVID-19 the worse it gets. That's just how things work in this country.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Right. I keep hearing poo poo like "it mostly kills the olds so it will wipe out the republican boomers and things will be great," and naw. AIDS was a convenient excuse to persecute gay people, and COVID-19 is a convenient excuse to persecute immigrants.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I mean as soon as the old people die out, for each person who inherits a house there's a new republican voter.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Leperflesh posted:

Right. I keep hearing poo poo like "it mostly kills the olds so it will wipe out the republican boomers and things will be great," and naw. AIDS was a convenient excuse to persecute gay people, and COVID-19 is a convenient excuse to persecute immigrants.

Fluid transmission versus droplet (or possibly aerosol transmission) does fundamentally change the character of an infection and its social impact. It's trivial for privileged people to avoid fluid contact, and fluid contact infections are much less likely to affect supply chains through rapid sudden spread. If COVID-19 is actually an aerosol it will necessarily rearrange social relations. This doesn't always benefit the poor, but there's definitely historical precedent (the Black Death, among others) for a long-term benefit accruing to the working classes as a result of the strains that pandemic disease can place on an unstable social order.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Leperflesh posted:

I wonder if many of you are old enough to remember the opening years of the AIDS epidemic. It was not something that worked out great for disadvantaged classes of people. My instinct is that the worse COVID-19 gets, the worse things get for disadvantaged people, there's no silver lining.

There’s already a lot of orientalism in the reporting.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Kaal posted:

Nah, he was right, that was hosed up.

Nancy Pelosi is a multi-millionaire collaborator who works with Trump to ruin my kids' lives and kill my grandkids with climate change ("the Green Dream or whatever") and the world would be a better place if she wasn't in it. Sorry this hurts your feelings.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

There is a world of difference between vague wishes that someone would die vs saying you plan to do something about it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I'm curious, other than it being in "poor taste" (lol) would this thread's scolds have felt the same way if I had said "I hope John McCain's brain cancer kills him ASAP" back when he was alive?

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 11, 2020

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

CopperHound posted:

There is a world of difference between vague wishes that someone would die vs saying you plan to do something about it.

This is D&D and I'm not a mod so neither do I try to claim my will is absolute nor open a virtual court for hypothesis like the above. To me it's the difference of saying you wish powerful people are found to have some condition versus saying you wish they die from it. The former is something even Michael Moore has done, noting that Alzheimers research went through the moon after Reagan got it. The latter feels a little bit like a bad day at the Drudge Report.

There's a good chance someone in office is eventually going to die, so I don't understand why you can't just post something like what Foxfire did with a "wink, wink" sort of thing afterward when advocating harm to people with Capitol Police or Secret Service protection. But again I'm not a mod, and it's a knee-jerk reaction from someone who avoids certain notorious websites that do this sort of poo poo. Even putting those concerns aside, it just doesn't seem like "good faith" posting to advocate death-by-plague of your ideological opponents.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Craptacular! posted:

it just doesn't seem like "good faith" posting to advocate death-by-plague of your ideological opponents.

So there it is. You have to be nice to the lady who is helping destroy the planet and kill our grandkids because of civility. Thank you for your input.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Nancy Pelosi is a multi-millionaire collaborator who works with Trump to ruin my kids' lives and kill my grandkids with climate change ("the Green Dream or whatever") and the world would be a better place if she wasn't in it. Sorry this hurts your feelings.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Sorry to just chain post here, but I'm honestly a little bit rocked by Bernie's troubles and also just aghast at the fact that the stakes just aren't sinking in for people. In 50 years our descendants will live on a hothouse planet with a horrendous standard of living and those people are going to wonder why we just all sat here and passively accepted it happening, and here I am being scolded for not being particularly nice about wanting to get rid of the people who are making it happen (while absolutely not advocating for violence - I'm not stupid enough to think that will solve anything and will just blowback and create a police state for the rest of us).

Our kids and grandkids are going to live in squalor and Craptacular is arguing about good faith toward millionaire scumbags who are putting them there. Absolutely mindboggling to me.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

You're right. I didn't mean to say Nancy Pelosi should be hauling garbage. I meant to say she should be hauled away as garbage

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
:gowron:

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

You're right. I didn't mean to say Nancy Pelosi should be hauling garbage. I meant to say she should be hauled away as garbage

Good Klingon Logic there.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Craptacular! posted:

This is D&D and I'm not a mod so neither do I try to claim my will is absolute nor open a virtual court for hypothesis like the above. To me it's the difference of saying you wish powerful people are found to have some condition versus saying you wish they die from it. The former is something even Michael Moore has done, noting that Alzheimers research went through the moon after Reagan got it. The latter feels a little bit like a bad day at the Drudge Report.

There's a good chance someone in office is eventually going to die, so I don't understand why you can't just post something like what Foxfire did with a "wink, wink" sort of thing afterward when advocating harm to people with Capitol Police or Secret Service protection. But again I'm not a mod, and it's a knee-jerk reaction from someone who avoids certain notorious websites that do this sort of poo poo. Even putting those concerns aside, it just doesn't seem like "good faith" posting to advocate death-by-plague of your ideological opponents.

Why isn't it good faith posting?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Welp.

https://twitter.com/stevenblum/status/1237821823682674693

LA wins again!

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

:tif:

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
The virus can't possibly survive in our temperate weather for long.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Admiral Ray posted:

Why isn't it good faith posting?

“Well maybe all my opponents will die” isn’t a reasonable policy position.

My final word on this: There’s been a good number of “oldpocalypse” stuff in the Corona thread, the primary thread, the USPOL thread, etc. It’s certainly not an SA thing, even my own father yesterday called me to muse about how the world would lose very little and probably gain a lot of everyone 60+ disappeared. So I get it. To me there was something about MMJ’s post that “said a quiet part out loud” and to me specifically saying “kill [person]” does that. I get that the country’s been headed that way for twelve years now, and both parties bases are using “political correctness” and “decorum” as strawman arguments to defend not keeping any emotions in check and openly scream about how much easier poo poo would be if the other side’s base would just roll over and die.

Doesn’t mean I have to like it. I just want to be able to keep hanging out here without seeing people yell for people’s blood because that never draws the good kind of attention.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 11, 2020

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Craptacular! posted:

“Well maybe all my opponents will die” isn’t a reasonable policy position.

My final word on this: There’s been a good number of “oldpocalypse” stuff in the Corona thread, the primary thread, the USPOL thread, etc. It’s certainly not an SA thing, even my own father yesterday called me to muse about how the world would lose very little and probably gain a lot of everyone 60+ disappeared. So I get it. To me there was something about MMJ’s post that “said a quiet part out loud” and to me specifically saying “kill [person]” does that. I get that the country’s been headed that way for twelve years now, and both parties bases are using “political correctness” and “decorum” as strawman arguments to defend not keeping any emotions in check and openly scream about how much easier poo poo would be if the other side’s base would just roll over and die.

Doesn’t mean I have to like it. I just want to be able to keep hanging out here without seeing people yell for people’s blood because that never draws the good kind of attention.

Lol

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

By the way, no one mentioned it but just to get it out of the way, I'm not a narc rear end snitch!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Day two of SJSU being closed, traffic was a bit worse today but still non-existent for what should be peak gridlock rush hour. My shoulder is feeling better so I'll be biking to work again and unable to test in person but I'm curious in a morbid sort of way if our traffic situation is so hosed that induced demand ends up holding true and even with the major uni in the area closed and tons of offices telling their staff to wfh, traffic will be right back to a gridlock thanks to a flood of new drivers come next week.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sydin posted:

Day two of SJSU being closed, traffic was a bit worse today but still non-existent for what should be peak gridlock rush hour. My shoulder is feeling better so I'll be biking to work again and unable to test in person but I'm curious in a morbid sort of way if our traffic situation is so hosed that induced demand ends up holding true and even with the major uni in the area closed and tons of offices telling their staff to wfh, traffic will be right back to a gridlock thanks to a flood of new drivers come next week.

Friend traffic will absolutely not be back to normal next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/sfchronicle/status/1237853089115148288