Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

Filthy Hans posted:

there's voting against your own interests, and then there's knowing what your best interests are and voting against them anyway

can someone link the tweet that bernie turned out people that voted for biden at the last moment? i don't believe it but by GOD it is funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

DryGoods posted:

better start practicing your Biden's before next year

need some fresh material for the new President

Banana

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

we need a new :sniff: for Biden

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

euphronius posted:

gently caress Biden is going to get crushed lamo

don't worry, musk is gonna inject neuralink into his sloppy meat brain and make him good as new

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

:thunk:

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

slopJoe 2020330 posted:

i assume everybody's busy running around like a chicken with its dick cut off rn so i'm gonna break off some thoughts in here

i've heard it said before (and i agree to some extent) that artificial intelligence already exists, but it's not computers. it's corporations. after all, they sort of have a will of their own, don't they? primarily that "will" is just greed, with everything else existing in support of that greed. the employees are dumb tools that the larger entity, the corporation, uses to further its goals.

having a drive as simple and discrete as greed is actually what makes the whole thing work. the machine knows what it wants. it wants money. it wants number go up.without that, the machine would have no way to measure its progress ("fitness" in AI terms). it would act and grow randomly, or refuse to act at all.

go ahead and agree with all that, because that's not the real post. my friend, that's just the appetizer.

i think that concept - an organization itself being an autonomous intelligence - also applies to political parties. or at least to our two american political parties.

the goal would obviously be power instead of money. not quite as easy to quantify (how many senators is a president worth? or a supreme court justice?) but still roughly measurable by seats of power (mostly elected). if you can assign relative values to all those seats, you can build an AI capable of making decisions to further its fitness.

obviously trading seats for other seats isn't really how political parties compete - they compete for votes. so how do you win votes? well, if you feed this machine lots and LOTS of data about public opinion... it can tell you how to win votes. because it can tell you what people want to hear. and what people do NOT want to hear. it can find the wedge issues you should introduce. it can find the most advantageous anwers to your opponents' attacks, that actually pivot the issue toward your strength or your enemy's weakness.

of course, any machine would also need to know how to protect itself. it needs a survival instinct. it needs to be able to recognize potential threats - and act to get ahead of them before they grow into a real problem. mostly, it would handle this the way it does everything else - exploiting public opinion, introducing wedges, dividing up and swallowing its enemies' support.

:staredog::pipe: if i were the robo-democratic-party-machine, i would have run elizabeth warren's campaign exactly the way it went :staredog::pipe:

PLAN

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

slopJoe 2020330 posted:

i assume everybody's busy running around like a chicken with its dick cut off rn so i'm gonna break off some thoughts in here

i've heard it said before (and i agree to some extent) that artificial intelligence already exists, but it's not computers. it's corporations. after all, they sort of have a will of their own, don't they? primarily that "will" is just greed, with everything else existing in support of that greed. the employees are dumb tools that the larger entity, the corporation, uses to further its goals.

having a drive as simple and discrete as greed is actually what makes the whole thing work. the machine knows what it wants. it wants money. it wants number go up.without that, the machine would have no way to measure its progress ("fitness" in AI terms). it would act and grow randomly, or refuse to act at all.

go ahead and agree with all that, because that's not the real post. my friend, that's just the appetizer.

i think that concept - an organization itself being an autonomous intelligence - also applies to political parties. or at least to our two american political parties.

the goal would obviously be power instead of money. not quite as easy to quantify (how many senators is a president worth? or a supreme court justice?) but still roughly measurable by seats of power (mostly elected). if you can assign relative values to all those seats, you can build an AI capable of making decisions to further its fitness.

obviously trading seats for other seats isn't really how political parties compete - they compete for votes. so how do you win votes? well, if you feed this machine lots and LOTS of data about public opinion... it can tell you how to win votes. because it can tell you what people want to hear. and what people do NOT want to hear. it can find the wedge issues you should introduce. it can find the most advantageous anwers to your opponents' attacks, that actually pivot the issue toward your strength or your enemy's weakness.

of course, any machine would also need to know how to protect itself. it needs a survival instinct. it needs to be able to recognize potential threats - and act to get ahead of them before they grow into a real problem. mostly, it would handle this the way it does everything else - exploiting public opinion, introducing wedges, dividing up and swallowing its enemies' support.

:staredog::pipe: if i were the robo-democratic-party-machine, i would have run elizabeth warren's campaign exactly the way it went :staredog::pipe:

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Join our hangouts chat with Team Jess as we witness the end of Hope:

https://hangouts.google.com/call/7JwxdHxmo4OrUK8rlvOMAEEE

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

how are they so incompetent and yet so successful

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

they must win

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

lmao

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

:cripes:

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Der Meister posted:

Well, they don't switch over the civil servant IT crews during a change of administration. Thus, they probably blamed this on THE CONTRACTORS. As they do in gov IT.

rump buttman
Feb 14, 2018

I just wish I had time for one more bowl of chili

tromp

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

cargo cult posted:

There's supposedly an HBO show based on the Last of Us coming out.

And you still can't get it for PC daggonit

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
https://twitter.com/yonicksmith/status/1237570468648898561?s=19

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
Luckily, nothing matters

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Bip Roberts posted:

joes loving 2nite

might need to limit it to a handbeezy, don't want him having another aneurysm

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.
It's Time, Bernie

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

:hmmyes:

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

I just mistakenly posted in the Trump toxx thread but I guess it doesn't matter now

Star Phlatulence
Jan 14, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Bleak Gremlin

2DCAT posted:

Luckily, nothing matters

i kind of wanted legal weed.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Good trumeet.

Star Phlatulence
Jan 14, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Bleak Gremlin
and the healthcare stuff. and ah fuckin nevermind

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

slopJoe 2020330 posted:

they canceled E3!?

Once again Nintendo was always ahead of the curve

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Not a Children posted:

Once again Nintendo was always ahead of the curve

they beat the Oculus Rift to market by more than 2 decades

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.
Genesis Does What Nintendon't

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5t7n-EeE1o

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Rah! posted:

boomers voting for biden.gif

https://i.imgur.com/yBHg07V.mp4

Isn't this the exact premise for that Will Ferrell/Julia Louis-Dreyfus movie?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4558376

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

UFOTacoMan posted:

so was john edwards

Now you've gone too far

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

im voting for bernie sanders in the geeneral election.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

euphronius posted:

gently caress Biden is going to get crushed lamo

looks like this thread is safe for four more years

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

mcbexx posted:

according to the comments on it the GIF is from a swedish movie from the 90s and the new one is a remake of it. lol yeah i looked at imgur comments :sad:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Der Meister posted:

The average American is intimidated by intelligence and competence and feels more comfortable being represented by people as feckless and stupid as they are.

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

update: cnn has also eliminated the camera crew and all recording devices

instead the public will be presented with (edited) transcripts and a sketch artist's renditions of Biden looking super buff

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

mcbexx posted:

yes, I don't know if the original they're ripping off was a comedy but if there's one thing America loves it's an inferior comedic adaptation of a foreign success

The Office might be the most be the most egregious case, but then again there's House of Cards too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

That DICK! posted:

im voting for bernie sanders in the geeneral election.

same