Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Sorry that you are a shut in nerd who has power fantasies, but stop being ridiculous.

It’s so awkward to have some dude, who has never interacted with geese or big birds, brag how he’d totally take one down and how hard can it be?

Most geese attacks have light injuries. But they have caused pretty severe head injuries by flying at the head, wrapping their wings around the head, and causing him to fall down. They’ve also poked eyes out, they have torn lacerations into people’s faces, and broken bones from people. You think a normal size adult male human voluntarily goes to the hospital for couple days after getting his head hosed up, just because he didn’t wanna hurt the goose? No, he defended himself and it wasn’t enough. Geese have knocked people off of bicycles, too.

Animals have no codes of ethics, and some of them are extremely strong in proportion to their size. They can fight dirty, and most importantly, they are unpredictable since most humans don’t regularly fight against particular animals. Swan have drowned people. Deer have attacked hunters and bystanders and injured them severely.

A 60 pound dog can decimate humans. I can handle my own dog, and maybe your dog in such an attack because of a lifetime of dogs and experience in handling them. Or maybe not, and my days are done. A strange dog that snarls at me and is decent size is enough for me to retreat and think about options, because I can’t predict what it will do, and I most certainly am not going to end up well if it charges me.

You have no experience with geese, or swan, for example. Easy to be confident.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Mar 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I would simply best the goose at chess, the game of kings.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

My purchased off of Amazon for 47$ plus shipping and handling katana will defend me from all water fowl. Because I am defended and have a rational knowledge about threats.

The irony of posting this in the Freep thread of all places is totally lost on me.

But I am protected from those long-necked feathery ferals. This is why I know to not visit lakes.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

As a veterinary employee can I please confirm that this is literally how we deal with a grumpy to-be-neutered patient that keeps yowling and it's for their own good

My little (4kg) cat, who's normally extremely good-natured even when it's vet time, took three syringes of ketamine to calm down enough that the vet was happy to examine him when he had a bladder blockage. Pain and fear is not a good addition to an apex predator even if they're tiny.

Vahakyla posted:

Sorry that you are a shut in nerd who has power fantasies, but stop being ridiculous.

It’s so awkward to have some dude, who has never interacted with geese or big birds, brag how he’d totally take one down and how hard can it be?

Most geese attacks have light injuries. But they have caused pretty severe head injuries by flying at the head, wrapping their wings around the head, and causing him to fall down. They’ve also poked eyes out, they have torn lacerations into people’s faces, and broken bones from people. You think a normal size adult male human voluntarily goes to the hospital for couple days after getting his head hosed up, just because he didn’t wanna hurt the goose? No, he defended himself and it wasn’t enough. Geese have knocked people off of bicycles, too.

Animals have no codes of ethics, and some of them are extremely strong in proportion to their size. They can fight dirty, and most importantly, they are unpredictable since most humans don’t regularly fight against particular animals. Swan have drowned people. Deer have attacked hunters and bystanders and injured them severely.

A 60 pound dog can decimate humans. I can handle my own dog, and maybe your dog in such an attack because of a lifetime of dogs and experience in handling them. Or maybe not, and my days are done. A strange dog that snarls at me and is decent size is enough for me to retreat and think about options, because I can’t predict what it will do, and I most certainly am not going to end up well if it charges me.

You have no experience with geese, or swan, for example. Easy to be confident.

This is loving ridiculous though. Waterfowl have no claws, no teeth, not even a sharp beak, and no predatory instincts. Even you have to admit the best they can do is disorient you enough that you fall over, which makes them a danger to life and limb on the same level as a wind-blown plastic bag.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Guavanaut posted:

I would simply best the swan at Ballet, Swan Lake. Their is no way it could say no, and their is no way it could win. Then every one would see how "graceful" swans really are.

The Goose I would just best at opening, going through, and closing a door. gently caress that.

Ditto goats.

To bring this post back on topic, pretty sure goats hold a fascists ideology and should never be given power.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

This is loving ridiculous though. Waterfowl have no claws, no teeth, not even a sharp beak, and no predatory instincts. Even you have to admit the best they can do is disorient you enough that you fall over, which makes them a danger to life and limb on the same level as a wind-blown plastic bag.

Geese have been used for guard duties throughout history, and have territorial and inquisitive traits that make them pretty good at it. They also hurt people in national parks and wildlife refuges.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Geese do not follow traditional opening strategies, and their unpredictable play makes them a challenging opponent even for experienced chessmasters

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Vahakyla posted:

Geese have been used for guard duties throughout history, and have territorial and inquisitive traits that make them pretty good at it. They also hurt people in national parks and wildlife refuges.

Look you can just admit you got your arse kicked by an overgrown duck without trying to pretend they're nature's most perfect killing machines.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

45 posts since last visit. I thought someone on freep got coronavirus, but no, it's goons fighting geese

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I want to fight a goose, I want to prove my dominance over nature by fighting all large birds. Except emus and ostriches ebcause i'd lose.

Maybe a cassowary if I had a bat.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
a team of goons and a team of freepers each elect a squad of fighters, then they each go up against a team of geese. who does better?

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Would you rather fight 100 baby sized geese, or 1 horse sized goose?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The horse goose, I would roll around in the tiny geese because geese are cute.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...

OwlFancier posted:

Maybe a cassowary if I had a bat.

Hah, dude, that's definitely not a sure thing. Cassowary's are essentially dinosaurs who are pissed off at the fact that the rest of their mates died off and they've been left stuck on a planet where the small, hairy, weak little primates somehow managed to evolve past them and take over. They are super pissed, all the time.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A worthy foe!

Like one of those weird old british colonial hunters except it's fist fighting poultry.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

The Dark Project posted:

Hah, dude, that's definitely not a sure thing. Cassowary's are essentially dinosaurs who are pissed off at the fact that the rest of their mates died off and they've been left stuck on a planet where the small, hairy, weak little primates somehow managed to evolve past them and take over. They are super pissed, all the time.

The only confirmed birds to have killed people are cassowaries and ostriches, along with a chicken with a knife attached to its leg (at a cockfight, but still). Bits of kids have been found in African crowned eagle’s nests, but that could have been scavenged. Getting that, plus more info on cassowaries’s assholeness, including that we may have caused some of it, here:
https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/tetrapod-zoology/how-dangerous-are-cassowaries-really/

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Pontius Pilate posted:

along with a chicken with a knife attached to its leg (at a cockfight, but still)

Wait wait what?

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

They’re referred to as spurs, but they’re basically little knives.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I'm aware of the "spurs" thing, but as phrased it sounded like someone had duct-taped a kitchen knife to the bird, which is an image so bizarre I want it to be true.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Xiahou Dun posted:

I'm aware of the "spurs" thing, but as phrased it sounded like someone had duct-taped a kitchen knife to the bird, which is an image so bizarre I want it to be true.

Same, but different:

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Pontius Pilate posted:

The only confirmed birds to have killed people are cassowaries and ostriches, along with a chicken with a knife attached to its leg (at a cockfight, but still).

I'm aware of cockfighting and the metal spurs they use, but getting killed by one definitely feels like a case of "play stupid games, win stupid prizes".

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Pontius Pilate posted:

The only confirmed birds to have killed people are cassowaries and ostriches, along with a chicken with a knife attached to its leg (at a cockfight, but still). Bits of kids have been found in African crowned eagle’s nests, but that could have been scavenged. Getting that, plus more info on cassowaries’s assholeness, including that we may have caused some of it, here:
https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/tetrapod-zoology/how-dangerous-are-cassowaries-really/

Emus defeated Australia in a war.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

But did not kill anyone in it, as far as I'm aware.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The only moral victors of history.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Pontius Pilate posted:

Tetzoo is pretty solid.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Xiahou Dun posted:

It’s essentially how that article phrased it so I ran with it for comedic effect but it was undoubtedly (unfortunately) a spur.

OwlFancier posted:

But did not kill anyone in it, as far as I'm aware.

I thought there were at least a couple friendly fire incidents but fortunately (unfortunately?) I was misremembering. But definitely no emu on man kills.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

ringu0 posted:

45 posts since last visit. I thought someone on freep got coronavirus, but no, it's goons fighting geese

88 for me :buddy:

(And now 89 :smith: )

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you keep gluing knives to chicken feet you are eventually going to produce chicken bayonetta or chicken raiden and that's not going to be fun for you.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Pontius Pilate posted:

...But definitely no emu on man kills.

Non-reported. :ninja:

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Beef Hardcheese posted:

88 for me :buddy:

(And now 89 :smith: )

To keep it on topic, how’s freep responding to corona being real? Or new and improved avian flu to keep it more on topic. Assume a healthy dose of common flu comparisons and griping about the media overreacting; with a handful of freepers rightfully worried because of them being ancient, and then some of those descending into prepper madness; plus a whole shitton shrieking over how all borders should’ve been closed forever and this is all a conspiracy to bring trump down?

It’s probably way more homogenized and boring but please some brave goon save us from further discussing body slamming gooses

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Body-slamming GEESE.

Also, Freep refused to load for me last time I checked, but that was via a phone browser.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Pontius Pilate posted:

To keep it on topic, how’s freep responding to corona being real? Or new and improved avian flu to keep it more on topic. Assume a healthy dose of common flu comparisons and griping about the media overreacting; with a handful of freepers rightfully worried because of them being ancient, and then some of those descending into prepper madness; plus a whole shitton shrieking over how all borders should’ve been closed forever and this is all a conspiracy to bring trump down?

It’s probably way more homogenized and boring but please some brave goon save us from further discussing body slamming gooses

From a short thread on Trump's response to the virus:

quote:

My President did a great job last night. He is always up front,out front and right!
In the case of the overhyped pandemic Trump is doing the right thing by going all in.
It’s drat if you do drat if you don’t respons, but driven by and for the dimmocrats all in against him . Well played

9 posted on 12/03/2020, 11:59:45 by Recompennation

quote:

The President has handled this thing brilliantly on every level.

The most significant action he took was to quarantine the United States by ordering the early travel restrictions. That was a bold and decisive move.

While Congress was busy making fools of themselves in January, President Trump was already prepping for China Flu.

There is nothing thus far to criticize.

Dems have fired up yet another of their endless supply of exploding cigars.

It’s what they do.

13 posted on 12/03/2020, 11:23:18 by jazminerose (Why do democrats hate black people?)

The longest thread on this I saw linked on the front page:

Trump Says He’s Suspending All Travel From Europe for 30 Days

quote:

Monroe Doctrine Time

25 posted on 12/03/2020, 02:33:40 by Hieronymus ("I shall drink--to the Pope, if you please,-still, t Conscience first, and to the Pope afterwards.")

quote:

Correct,shut off Mexico.

27 posted on 12/03/2020, 02:33:53 by oldasrocks (Heavily Medicated for your Protection.)

I just like Linda's strong middle-aged Midwestern mom energy

quote:

My husband is the president of the Midwest hockey affiliation (volunteer). They canceled the district....national championship tournaments. Hockey never cancels...I’ve been to games in northern Minnesota during a blizzard. Hockey never cancels...except now. My husband hasn’t been off the phone to ask why.....wow.
52 posted on 12/03/2020, 02:41:12 by Linda Frances (Woe to those who call evil good and good evil, who put darkness for light and light for darkness.)

Just wow. Though a great way to self-select I guess

quote:

Cruises are cheep! I looked tonight. 330 dollars for 8 day Caribbean cruise on carnival. I’m tempted to have me and my wife go. Leaves March 21st. Still thinking.

90 posted on 12/03/2020, 03:00:21 by napscoordinator (Trump/Hunter, jr for President/Vice President 2016)

No they do not, Brexit travel rules don't take effect until the end of the transition period. Quite a few Freepers made this same claim.

quote:

Italy is a major hot spot for Coronavirus, but banning travel from Italy would be ineffective. The EU nations have open borders, so there’s no way to tell if someone trying to fly from another EU nation was recently in Italy and might have a higher risk of carrying the virus. Since Brexit, the UK no longer shares open borders with the rest of Europe. Presumably to travel from Italy to the UK you would need passports and visas, which would document a higher risk of exposure. Hence a general travel ban from the UK is not necessary.

91 posted on 12/03/2020, 03:01:18 by stremba

Hey Max Iron Man

quote:

Ummm how about suspending travel from and to CHINA. Those assholrd invented it at wuhan.

116 posted on 12/03/2020, 03:23:29 by max americana (Fired ONE libtard at work at every election since 2008 because I enjoy them crying)

Tuberculosis from Mexico, what? Everything is just a reason to deploy troops across the southern border to this guy.

quote:

My thought on this is, how many Europeans are we keeping out in comparison to how many Central Americans are coming over the southern border?

If this is indeed prudent, and I am not disagreeing, if this that serious, then we should be deploying active military personnel along every vulnerable section of the southern border.

We are essentially closing the border to first world Europeans and leaving a much bigger border open to 3rd world invaders who are already carriers of a considerable number of other serious diseases. Example, keep Europeans from bringing in this virus, but allowing Mexicans to bring in tuberculosis.

Am I missing something here??

134 posted on 12/03/2020, 03:42:45 by ChildOfThe60s (If you can remember the 60s........you weren't really there)

I feel like this is a dogwhistle

quote:

So if I go over I guess I can’t come back huh? That’d be fine as long as I go to Poland!

142 posted on 12/03/2020, 03:52:03 by rfreedom4u (The root word of vigilante is vigilant!)

quote:

Ironic that there’s a travel ban between the Europe and US. All sorts of nasty, once-controlled diseases have been coming into the US through our porous southern border for decades.

156 posted on 12/03/2020, 04:10:36 by BradyLS (DO NOT FEED THE BEARS!)

Everyone knows that diseases are spread by nationality and have nothing to do with where you were.

quote:

Why ot just ban ALL travel from ALL non-Americans for 30 days, and also seal the borders?

163 posted on 12/03/2020, 04:18:27 by montag813

Please don't do this guys

quote:

“330 dollars for 8 day Caribbean cruise on carnival”
Wow, incredible. Pretty soon they will be PAYING you to go.

You know, if you are one of the few that caught this bug early, this summer might be a great time to take in as many cruises as you can at dirt cheap prices.

Yeah, I know there are a few anecdotal claims that people have been "reinfected", but that does not appear to be the case. Soon enough, we will know for sure.

194 posted on 12/03/2020, 07:09:40 by ETCM

Surprised that there isn't more like what you expected. It seems to be mostly "it's an overblown dem plot against Trump and he's handling it great, combined with a little 'CLOSE ALL THE BORDERS AND SHOOT MEXICANS'"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

jojoinnit posted:

No they do not, Brexit travel rules don't take effect until the end of the transition period. Quite a few Freepers made this same claim.
Also confusing the EU with the Schengen Area, which the UK has never been part of.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Guavanaut posted:

Also confusing the EU with the Schengen Area, which the UK has never been part of.

I meant to add in my post that excluding the UK from the ban is 1000% a favour to Boris Johnson and has zero do to with health concerns. Or as the news alert I got whilst compiling that post said:

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

jojoinnit posted:

quote:
Italy is a major hot spot for Coronavirus, but banning travel from Italy would be ineffective. The EU nations have open borders, so there’s no way to tell if someone trying to fly from another EU nation was recently in Italy and might have a higher risk of carrying the virus. Since Brexit, the UK no longer shares open borders with the rest of Europe. Presumably to travel from Italy to the UK you would need passports and visas, which would document a higher risk of exposure. Hence a general travel ban from the UK is not necessary.

91 posted on 12/03/2020, 03:01:18 by stremba

You always needed a passport to travel outside the UK/RoI, even to other EU nations before Brexit. There has never been an open border between the UK/RoI and the EU.

The UK and Republic of Ireland have a common immigration area, and travelling into it requires that you go through immigration controls and show a passport, even if you come from another EU country. Most of the rest of the EU is part of the Schengen treaty, and entering that zone also requires that you show a passport at an immigration checkpoint. So, travelling between RoI and the UK doesn't require a passport (but you might still need to show one to board a plane or boat across the Irish Sea). Travelling between Schengen zone and UK/RoI does require a passport. Travelling between Schengen nations does not require a passport.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Huh. Somehow I got it into my head that Ireland was part of the Schengen group. What a bizarre and specific mistake to make. Thanks.

Finnankainen
Oct 14, 2012
The worst freeper take on coronavirus, just let the poors die!

quote:

To: Flash Bazbeaux

weed out the expensive defectives
Also known as "Useless Eaters".

I agree that if resources are inadequate, choices need to be made according some criteria designed by Man.

Personally, I think it should be market-driven. If you have cash in your pocket and can pay for the treatment, you get it. Even if you're 99. Jack up the prices. Squeeze the money out of the old sick people who are willing to pay. If they pay the inflated prices, the system has more cash, can afford more machines, and can provide needed treatment to more people. That's how markets work. I don't expect Italy to grasp that.

47 posted on 3/12/2020, 11:00:32 AM by ClearCase_guy (If White Privilege is real, why did Elizabeth Warren lie about being an Indian?)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 41 | View Replies]

It really is Schrodinger's virus. Simultaneously not a big deal at all and also a Chinese bioweapon.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

loving hell the idea of unnuetze Essern being brought up with a straight face.

That's just straight up Nazi rhetoric verbatim.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Alex Jones uses the term I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
He does, but Jones thinks it's the NWO lizard elites that call us 'useless eaters' which is why they want the global population down to 500m people.

I'm never quite sure why the elites would want to do that, because surely the more of us there are, the more competition there is for limited resources, and more money they can get from rent and control of the economy. This would also fit better with the observation that if the elites genuinely did control the world and wanted massive population reduction, they're doing a poo poo job of it over the past few decades.