Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Victory Position posted:

wait, what's this about the Fed slashing rates to 0% next week? are they seriously just to start the run

It's already priced in as fairly likely to happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

If theres an afterlife I wonder what kind of wild party the communists are throwing right now

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006
for 0.5 t you could have literally have the best quarantine ever for months and then like shame everyone else after

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

CongoJack posted:

Earlier I said I wanted a recession so I could buy a house now I want want to destroy this government that threw a trillion dollars away for nothing when they could have written everyone a check and it would have had some value and changed millions of lives.

they could have:
immediately forgiven all student loan debt
immediately forgiven all medical debt
immediately subsidized all medical visits for everyone the rest of the year
etc.

with that money and likely fixed the problem. but here we are!

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

oxsnard posted:

I want them to do the wrong thing and make it not happen. that's when it'll get good.

Serf
May 5, 2011

dead gay comedy forums posted:

if you haven't gone full bolshevik, well, now it is the time

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Couldn’t they just spend 1.5 trillion responding to Corona? That would probably be amazing news for the market if they don’t care about lives or society.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

FCKGW posted:

still don't get why mortgage interest rates are ticking up

too many people are applying to refinance and the lenders are overwhelmed

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

Couldn’t they just spend 1.5 trillion responding to Corona? That would probably be amazing news for the market if they don’t care about lives or society.

Shh let capitalism kill itself

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Me watching the markets crash, gold crash, bitcoin and crypto crash, and the Fed completely faceplant trying to prevent a depression:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Freaking Crumbum posted:

i've lived through the reagan recession in the 80s, the recession in the early 90s, the recession post 2000, the recession in 2008 and now this current poo poo

it's like some weird version of stockholm syndrome where you lose your ability to even register concern over what is very obviously a dangerous state of affairs. either it'll kill me or it won't! but until it does, i have to just keep on keepin' on

did the world end then? "no, it just got shittier"

oh, well, uh

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
CNBC anchor and guests saying the system maybe broken permanently lol

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
watch trump start a loving revolution

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

lmao

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
The end result of this going to be the govt buying every stock you want to sell, as a non-controlling share, at their 2/13/20 selling price, isnt it.

Like literally just setting an unbreakable market floor. Number will not be legally allowed to go down.

Yuli Ban
Nov 22, 2016

Bot

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Centrist Committee posted:

watch trump start a loving revolution

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

no because the only thing the fed can do is print money to buy financial instruments. the theory behind quantitative easing is that doing this means that the people who just sold the financial instruments to the fed will now use their cash to do something good but that hasn't happened for the 10 years it's been policy

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...eaking-news-bar

quote:

The Fed also announced it will buy $60 billion worth of Treasury bonds for the next month (March 13 through April 13) to help keep that market functioning appropriately. Earlier this week, investors reported problems trading in U.S. government bonds. These irregularities echoed the types of freezes seen during the 2008 financial crisis and the Fed appeared to want to act quickly to stop them.

The Fed is also directly buying Treasury bonds too.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

One More Fat Nerd posted:

The end result of this going to be the govt buying every stock you want to sell, as a non-controlling share, at their 2/13/20 selling price, isnt it.

Like literally just setting an unbreakable market floor. Number will not be legally allowed to go down.

trump and the fed will achieve full communism

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Hail number satan

Ages
Feb 20, 2005

Its just half the puffin juice and the puffin lives and doesnt mind. I promise!
Fun Shoe

hail number

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Pajser posted:

how is this different than money laundering?

i'm really dumb, please explain

well it's legally codified, and theoretically the money laundering process isn't really there when you're adding liquidity - sure you're placing the trill and a half into the banking system but it's just purchasing poo poo they're not just throwing money in unilaterally, the banks are layering it out via loans, and their borrowers spend it, but it's usually repaid over such long timeframes that it doesn't provide any benefit. Also it's just repurchasing poorly performing stuff as opposed to a straight payment - they're trading slow money that has to mature for immediately available cash money, there's not much actual movement of value.

Usually money laundering through loans requires short term repayment measured in weeks. If you aren't in a hurry you can do it via real estate but most of the hot markets are under geographic targeting orders which make it a little hard to buy property with dirty money unnoticed. That's incidentally why you have been seeing big buildouts of semi-luxury apartments in sort of second-tier large-ish cities that aren't on the ocean coasts - San Antonio, Pensacola, Minneapolis, Omaha etc. They're outside the GTOs but still warm enough to get tenants quickly which makes a return come back quicker.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

One More Fat Nerd posted:

no thats communism!!!!!!!

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

sending out a trillion dollerie dos like im passing gas

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

send me 300 bucks trump please I want to buy a video game

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

oxsnard posted:

oh fun, I've always wondered what it's like to work in a profession where it's like being a test rider for a roller coaster that immediately launches from the station, does a bunch of loops, and then immediately smashes into the ground

you've got to a have a fireplace when you work in something like this, I think

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Victory Position posted:

wait, what's this about the Fed slashing rates to 0% next week? are they seriously just to start the run

rates were already rock bottom and they dropped them .5% last week which had zero effect on the market.

there's no where else to go but negative at this point

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

trump and the fed will achieve full communism

No, it'll be monarchy. Jeff Bezos will retain one controlling share of every company, with all other sold to the federal reserve.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Aninal Crossing come out already so I can quarantine in a game

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

The Rains of Cashtamere

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
lol any of my senators or representatives drat well better self-isolate because honestly if I ever see a us senator in person, i'm prolly just gonna wild out and not think about the consequences of prison lolol

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Crusader posted:

sending out a trillion dollerie dos like im passing gas

I remember in 2008 when the whole world looked on with awe at the congressional request for $700 billion.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Why does the government keep messing with the so called free market? If it was actually free, then the government should let those companies that can't survive die because that it what the market dictates

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Invoke emergency powers trump do it you coward

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Does anyone have a place where I can watch number go down without pressing refresh every five seconds? Right now, all I have is this site here, but the number is not large enough in terms of font size for my tastes. http://www.livecharts.co.uk/MarketCharts/dow.php

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

Bro remove this post before you get banned

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Inglonias posted:

Does anyone have a place where I can watch number go down without pressing refresh every five seconds? Right now, all I have is this site here, but the number is not large enough in terms of font size for my tastes. http://www.livecharts.co.uk/MarketCharts/dow.php

I turned on cnbc as background noise and it gives nice meltdowns and snappy number spirals

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
work hard your whole damned life, the powers that be wreck the economy, and then we have to give them 1.5 trillion dollars to keep breaking poo poo hahahahahahaahah gently caress em all, every death of anyone in power is something to celebrate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

Black Monday
Blacker Tuesday
Blackest Wednesday
Darker than Black Thursday
Welcome to the Abyss Friday