Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ItBreathes posted:

Word of warning if you haven't played a Mario Maker before, all of the same kinda floaty, slippery physics, they're not like the original games. I couldn't get the hang of it.

They do have different physics but I don’t find them floaty or slippery at all. The Mario Maker games control great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Yeah. They're not 1:1 accurate to their original games, but you adjust real fast. It's still tight Mario controls.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I feel like if they did go 1:1 on the original games, people in here would be complaining that they can't adjust to playing, say, SMB style after playing SMB3 or SMW style, or NSMB style after playing NSMBU style.

It's a lose-lose situation, basically.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Commander Keene posted:

I feel like if they did go 1:1 on the original games, people in here would be complaining that they can't adjust to playing, say, SMB style after playing SMB3 or SMW style, or NSMB style after playing NSMBU style.

It's a lose-lose situation, basically.

Yeah, I think the approach they did was the right one. It would be disorientating to constantly be switching physics with how the game mixes in levels of different styles.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They unified the physics in Super Mario All Stars and I don't think anyone complained. They did the right move.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Detective No. 27 posted:

They unified the physics in Super Mario All Stars and I don't think anyone complained. They did the right move.

Did they? I haven’t played that in awhile.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I know they're different physics than the NES versions. I might have overspoke. Maybe they didn't. I gotta pop in my copy and see if it feels different between games.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
All-Stars has individual physics for each game, they just accidentally broke SMB's physics a little (a really silly typo-level oversight that changes how Mario collides off blocks from below).

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

All-Stars has individual physics for each game, they just accidentally broke SMB's physics a little (a really silly typo-level oversight that changes how Mario collides off blocks from below).

There’s a handy rom hack that fixes this.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Didn't All-Stars also change SMB3's thing where you could control the direction mushrooms moved by hitting the block from different sides? Or am I thinking of Mario Maker?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Commander Keene posted:

Didn't All-Stars also change SMB3's thing where you could control the direction mushrooms moved by hitting the block from different sides? Or am I thinking of Mario Maker?

Can’t you do that in every Mario game including the first?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Yeah it'll go whatever direction Mario is facing when you hit it.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

SeANMcBAY posted:

Can’t you do that in every Mario game including the first?
IIRC mushrooms in SMB only went one direction, to the right. This was changed in every Mario game 3 and on to be that it goes in the opposite direction from the side of the block you hit.

E: I tested some of the games, and SMB they all move right no matter where you hit the block or what direction you're facing; SMB3 (both regular and All-Stars) the mushroom's direction changes based upon where you hit the block, facing is irrelevant; SMW doesn't seem to care, they all move right.

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Mar 13, 2020

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I've finished Bravely Default and moved on to Bravely Second and it's super jarring that Edea's name has gone from being pronounced "E-d-ah" to "Id-e-ah"

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Mar 25, 2020

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Yeah. Stuff like that, the tinny low quality audio, and less than stellar soundtrack (ugh the new cave theme) made it hard for me to enjoy the sequel as much. The gameplay is definitely improved though.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

OhFunny posted:

I've finished Bravely Default and moved on to Bravely Second and it's super jarring that Edea's name has gone from being announced "E-d-ah" to "Id-e-ah"

Her name was always supposed to be “Ideally” like how everyone else’s name is a pun/homonym so it never stood out a ton to me. Still a tiny bit silly though

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I never listen to voice acting. It's much faster to just read.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I also read movie scripts instead of watching them, because it's much faster to read.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Not to mention, cheaper.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Just beat Bravely Default. Note to self: never grind JP until you're in the end area. Goes much quicker.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Amppelix posted:

I also read movie scripts instead of watching them, because it's much faster to read.

That's taking it to an extreme. I enjoy watching cutscenes, but all too often this game is just static characters talking to each other. That's fine, but I don't get anything out of listening to the voices, especially when I've been so used to reading text in the RPG's from before.

Though, I do wish to know how one got used to the transition between silent and sound movies. It must've been pretty intense.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

100YrsofAttitude posted:

That's taking it to an extreme. I enjoy watching cutscenes, but all too often this game is just static characters talking to each other. That's fine, but I don't get anything out of listening to the voices, especially when I've been so used to reading text in the RPG's from before.

Though, I do wish to know how one got used to the transition between silent and sound movies. It must've been pretty intense.

I really like Bravely Second’s voice acting but I definitely understand this feel, it’s cool that we’re at a point where last-gen handheld consoles can fit full English and Japanese voices into a cart but at the same time it kind of makes it obvious that some games could stand to have more brevity.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

100YrsofAttitude posted:

but I don't get anything out of listening to the voices
This is what I don't get. Unless the acting is bad, if i'm enjoying a story I will definitely want to listen to it acted because being able to hear the tone and inflection adds so much to dialogue.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Amppelix posted:

This is what I don't get. Unless the acting is bad, if i'm enjoying a story I will definitely want to listen to it acted because being able to hear the tone and inflection adds so much to dialogue.

That is true, but how many games really have worthwhile voice-acting? I can't think of many. Ultimately, I prefer cutscenes. I don't skip them, but given the option to speed through dialogue, because the characters aren't acting, then I'll definitely take it. If I can't skip dialogue I'll happily listen to what's being said, though again if they're not moving, I'm liable to look away from the screen.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

100YrsofAttitude posted:

That is true, but how many games really have worthwhile voice-acting? I can't think of many.

True for most movies, too.

edit: this is why i usually switch on subtitles and just skip through the seek bar, it's way faster

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Comparing movies to games that are often just text boxes with someone's head over them is dumb as gently caress. If they can't talk faster than I can read they're getting skipped.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Finished Mario and Luigi Dream Team the other day, really good and fun overall. Started up Paper Jam and already enjoying it, makes me sad knowing this is the final Mario and Luigi RPG entry, though. :(

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

Comparing movies to games that are often just text boxes with someone's head over them is dumb as gently caress. If they can't talk faster than I can read they're getting skipped.

A lot of the time you're wanting to read-and-skip is when the conversation winds down from story to "We need to go to/do X next." "Okay, let's go do X next". "Yes, off to X we go", time the number of party members.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Amppelix posted:

Specific example; I first played Devil Survivor on the DS, where it didn't have VA. When I bought and played Overclocked on 3DS, I found out that I had interpreted a few lines of dialogue differently from the voice actors/director (who presumably have access to the original writers and thus a better understanding of their intent than I do).

100YrsofAttitude posted:

That is true, but how many games really have worthwhile voice-acting?
Honestly, quite a few. Most titles made on more than an indie budget nowadays managed to shell out for at least decent VA. I kinda feel like this is the video game equivalent of "subs-only" anime purists, who claim that dubs are "unwatchable", and I wonder if they've actually watched any dubbed anime since the '90s or early '00s.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah video game audio being bad isn’t really a thing anymore outside some budget titles.

The only dialogue I skip is townsfolk who mostly just exist to give you quests

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Ryuga Death posted:

Finished Mario and Luigi Dream Team the other day, really good and fun overall. Started up Paper Jam and already enjoying it, makes me sad knowing this is the final Mario and Luigi RPG entry, though. :(

It's the most recent. Do you really think Nintendo is just going to let it fade away?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Well, the series developer is hosed, isn't it?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

SelenicMartian posted:

Well, the series developer is hosed, isn't it?

The series owner is doing great, though. Which one is more important do you think?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Waltzing Along posted:

The series owner is doing great, though. Which one is more important do you think?

The last game in the series did pretty poorly. It's not impossible but I don't think Nintendo will be finding another team to make another game in the series anytime soon.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
nintendo has plenty of series they do nothing with where the developer isn't bankrupt, why would you assume the series with the bankrupt developer is fine

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Because I can't see Nintendo just giving up on their RPG line. It's not like Pikmin where there are only 3 games. There are 8? 9? RPG games so far? They've released them consistently for years.

And especially on the release all the old software and the occasional new title Nintendo Switch, you can expect to see the old games come back so why not make new ones?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Amppelix posted:

Quite a bit of voice acting can be bad and also extremely slow. And the option to skip or even turn off voice acting is there in a lot of games, so I don't get why you're poking someone for taking that option.

Waltzing Along posted:

Because I can't see Nintendo just giving up on their RPG line. It's not like Pikmin where there are only 3 games. There are 8? 9? RPG games so far? They've released them consistently for years.

And especially on the release all the old software and the occasional new title Nintendo Switch, you can expect to see the old games come back so why not make new ones?

The Mario RPGs have never really been high sellers though. They don't rake in the cash as much as their other franchises do, and the developer is bankrupt now. I don't really see the main company bothering, especially when employees at Nintendo said they don't really bother with smaller projects anymore, or the higher ups shut them down.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Waltzing Along posted:

It's not their only Mario RPG series though. They probably will make another Paper Mario for Switch or maybe even make a new Mario RPG series. Maybe Mario RPG 2 can finally happen.:v:

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Voice acting is often fine but drat if I'm going to spend twice as long playing an RPG waiting for people to say what's in the text box on screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ItBreathes posted:

Voice acting is often fine but drat if I'm going to spend twice as long playing an RPG waiting for people to say what's in the text box on screen.

This