Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Sneak Lemming posted:

Wasn't the conservative plan to just let the virus run through society?
the unironic "why contain it" plan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1238160101711720450

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

comedyblissoption posted:

I want to know about Domcum's biochem corpus.

No, wait, I absolutely don't, in hindsight.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

tbf that is probably only going to make it worse for the tories once their voter base starts dying in droves

what the hell are they doing

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Communist Thoughts posted:

i think that makes our response the worst in the world? anyone do any better?

"worst" can only be evaluated with respect to a goal. in this case, the goal is to kill as many britons as possible and blame it on the europeans, so the truth is that this response is the best in the world

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

The centrism is so strong in my dad that even after bojo goes on TV and says he's gonna kill him he's still like "I don't like the man but he's trying to flatten the curve"

He's over 60 and has asthma...
Guardian poisoning is real

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

V. Illych L. posted:

tbf that is probably only going to make it worse for the tories once their voter base starts dying in droves

what the hell are they doing

The temptation of mass murder is too strong

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
Lmao of course

quote:

Johnson told business leaders: "The real hero of Jaws is the mayor, a wonderful politician. A gigantic fish is eating all your constituents and he decides to keep the beach open.

"OK, in that instance, he was wrong but in principle we need more politicians like the mayor."

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Looking at this whole 'hospital capacity' thing. https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/tgm/table.do?tab=table&init=1&language=en&pcode=tps00046&plugin=1

Germany - 800 beds per 100,000

Ireland - 295 beds per 100,000

UK - 253 beds per 100,000

definitely does not seem like a good idea to wait for herd immunity to develop on a virus we've never seen before

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

well grandma might die but gently caress it I’ve got my pothole funding so it’s even

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
On a scale of 'chill' to 'oh gently caress' how worried should I be about my 70yo aunt, who's been hospitalised by a nasty infection following a botched surgery? Leaning very, very heavily towards 'oh gently caress'.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Brits going to stiff upper lip Dunkirk Blitz Spirit Agincourt it straight through a pandemic to own the Labs like absolute mad lads.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth has issued a correction as of 12:40 on Mar 13, 2020

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Pyrotoad posted:

On a scale of 'chill' to 'oh gently caress' how worried should I be about my 70yo aunt, who's been hospitalised by a nasty infection following a botched surgery? Leaning very, very heavily towards 'oh gently caress'.

frankly, there's no reason to worry before you have to. hope that she's out of there ASAP though, because every medical doctor is going to have covid-19 pretty soon

why has corbyn not utterly blasted the government response? the plan is transparently evil

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

V. Illych L. posted:

frankly, there's no reason to worry before you have to. hope that she's out of there ASAP though, because every medical doctor is going to have covid-19 pretty soon

why has corbyn not utterly blasted the government response? the plan is transparently evil

Maybe he is, how would we know?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

The centrism is so strong in my dad that even after bojo goes on TV and says he's gonna kill him he's still like "I don't like the man but he's trying to flatten the curve"

He's over 60 and has asthma...
Guardian poisoning is real

yeah, my dad is very guardian and a retired doctor so he's well into the "well he's following scientific advice" thing, which I suppose other countries aren't doing??

although he agrees that the government's other advice/lack of advice is poor and nonsensical (we might start advising people to do X in Y day, not telling companies to help people work from home etc)

even if the actual influence on the spread from shutting down public events and schools was marginal, the government is basically burning any trust the public might have had in them before the outbreak has even truly begun.

if things get worse quickly (which they will) then poo poo is going to hit the fan and the government will not be able to calm people down because the people will know it's their fault

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

gonadic io posted:

yeah why would a newspaper publish anything? they have no need to report on his transparent antisemitism anymore

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

gonadic io posted:

Corbyn exists in the same way the British left currently exists. Both were banished to the shadow realm.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

he still has his own social media accounts

johnson is doing a bizarro speedrun attempt at a loving pandemic and corbyn is on his way out anyway, there's no downside to blasting this that i can see. it's not as though people not following government advice at the moment is going to make them more exposed

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

V. Illych L. posted:

I think she could go home at some point next week, depending on how she responds to the 'let's fix what we hosed up' surgery. Still better than 'oh gently caress' so I'll take that. Thanks.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Still can't quite believe Johnson's plan for the Coronavirus literally seem to be to abandon the core of his voter base to die, its Victorian in its brazen contempt for human life but also really, really stupid on its own terns

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

multijoe posted:

Still can't quite believe Johnson's plan for the Coronavirus literally seem to be to abandon the core of his voter base to die, its Victorian in its brazen contempt for human life but also really, really stupid on its own terns

Well considering how dumb his voter core are, frankly they're quite deserving of each other.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Deep within the hearts of all englishment lies a constant urge to commit genocide. having run out of colonies they're now turning it on themselves.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
gently caress cancer, kill the animals, and let's see if we can get a 100% wr!

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Pyrotoad posted:

she probably has it if shes in a hospital still, tbh. she's still liklier than not to survive but... not good, sorry.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

she probably has it if shes in a hospital still, tbh. she's still liklier than not to survive but... not good, sorry.

Don't be paranoid. Hospitals are not building shaped coronavirus blobs.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

namesake posted:

Don't be paranoid. Hospitals are not building shaped coronavirus blobs.

gonna quote this next week

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

there is no reason to assume infection as of now. the number of british cases is still relatively low, and medical staff are serious about hygiene around vulnerable post-op patients even when there's *not* a deadly pandemic going around

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Juche Couture posted:

In our hospital doctors with direct prolonged contact (including being vomited on) with patients with proven Covid, without masks etc (not originally suspected cases) have been explicitly told that unless they become symptomatic they are not to be tested and to continue working.

Lol. Lmao.

XMNN posted:

been back at the hospital walk in centre and saw a nurse holding a face mask to her mouth tell someone that with their symptoms they shouldn't have even come in and they need to go sit in the pod, which was very reassuring

she'd been sat in there for about half an hour too, so I pray to God it isn't airborne

then the gp asked me if I wanted to be admitted and I said not if I have a choice

Theodyn posted:

I work in the NHS and as far as I've been able to see, just about nothing [has been done to contain the virus].

So very true to form for Alexander de Piffle, then.

Shogi posted:

The hospital site I was covering today had a nurse sent home with fever and a cough. The acute hospital nearby has some of our patients there with physical conditions, so our staff are in and out to support. And they’ve just had a couple of confirmed covid-19 cases. I myself have had a cough and a tight chest all week but in the absence of any advice from higher up we are just being told to crack on and hope we don’t slaughter the elderly wards.

I feel like Britain is in no way prepared for this and the government aren’t taking it at all seriously. Compare us to Norway who have shut down early.

The people voted for pain, and possibly for literal death.

Soylent Yellow posted:

I spoke to my sister today. She works in a hospital away from any reported outbreaks, and says that it's an open secret that they've been getting cases for the past couple of days, but are waiting on confirmations. Not people phoning 111 because they have a cough, but people admitted with serious respiratory distress. Apparently this isn't an outlier, a lot of hospitals are starting to see the same. We all have it, and the official infection rate is going off a ski-jump over the weekend.

lol

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

This is from the bbc https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51865915

Am I reading this right? The plan is, to tell people to stay at home, because that's where people are most likely to get the virus? Isn't this specifically what S. Korea and China said not to do?
I don't get it. If you're going to concede that most infections happen at home, then why for fucks sake are you telling people who have the virus to stay at home? What the actual gently caress is going on?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

The fact that we're very badly prepared doesn't mean everyone in hospital already has it.

Sneak Lemming posted:

This is from the bbc https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51865915

Am I reading this right? The plan is, to tell people to stay at home, because that's where people are most likely to get the virus? Isn't this specifically what S. Korea and China said not to do?
I don't get it. If you're going to concede that most infections happen at home, then why for fucks sake are you telling people who have the virus to stay at home? What the actual gently caress is going on?

No what? People are isolated at their own homes, where else would they go? They do pose a greater risk to uninfected people in the same home which is a problem but that's not what you're saying.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

namesake posted:

The fact that we're very badly prepared doesn't mean everyone in hospital already has it.

not quite yet, no

it just means its the most likely place in the UK you'll catch it atm

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/bbcbreaking/status/1238492058693914624?s=21

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

comedyblissoption posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zStn70Ot4r0

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvtUCUM9yCU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

https://twitter.com/mattparaice4/status/1237104270639595528

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

namesake posted:

No what? People are isolated at their own homes, where else would they go?

The fever clinics we should be setting up, and then to a quarantine area like a stadium if they are positive.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

It's a deliberate visual gag by Sky. The punchline is in the audio that video is missing.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sneak Lemming posted:

The fever clinics we should be setting up, and then to a quarantine area like a stadium if they are positive.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
lmao at berating someone for not going to completely imaginary places

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Sneak Lemming posted:

???

Are you extremely high?

If so, I approve of that but not of your very stupid posting.

You're not the most likely to get the virus at home how would that even work, physically speaking? Are you operating under the miasma theory? Are you, in fact, a time traveler from a (somehow) dumber time?