Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Memento posted:

This is the right thread for this and you know it

https://i.imgur.com/tnbDUI0.mp4

Sound on

I'm not a clever man - how does he make it bend? Is it FWD and then he does a brake stand in reverse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

bolind posted:

I'm not a clever man - how does he make it bend? Is it FWD and then he does a brake stand in reverse?

4wd and probably the rear driveshaft is disconnected/rusted to dust.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

StormDrain posted:

I have good neighbors.

lmao must be terrifying with such a short wheelbase

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

BraveUlysses posted:

When you build a drag-car to fit in your 12 foot trailer.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

BraveUlysses posted:

My first thought as well. All the stability that a roller skate has to offer. There is a wheelie bar out back too. And a subwoofer and stereo set, the idea that you could hear anything while driving amused me. The driver does race it for fun at least, it's headed to a show this weekend though.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

Try riding in a V8 swapped CJ7 with a lunatic at the wheel.....Terrifying indeed.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
You keep mentioning this thing but I don't believe it exists.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Why not? People swap V8s in Jeeps all the time it's nothing new :confused:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Its a jeep thing, people just don't understand

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Why not? People swap V8s in Jeeps all the time it's nothing new :confused:

They came with them from the factory, even.
And CJ7? Whoop de doo. Buddy in high school had a factory 304 V8/4-speed CJ5 short-wheelbase death trap.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Try riding in a V8 swapped CJ7 with a lunatic at the wheel.....Terrifying indeed.

A 287 in an old mail Jeep was a bad idea. Two weeks with that thing was enough to send him to the hospital for a double amputation. Like a model rocket engine tied to a saltine cracker.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/T4earQy.mp4

I know which one I trust to still work after a few years.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I've only seen a handful of foot activated hatches being used out in the wild but none of them have seemed to work all that well. It's usually someone with their hands full barely managing balance on one leg while swinging the other around under the car for 20 seconds until it finally pops open or they give up and use their hands. I'm not sure if it's user error, if the sensor gets covered in road grime immediately after exiting the dealer lot, or if the system just kind of sucks.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What bugs me most about the ones I've seen is they open so slowly (certainly a safety feature) it would be faster to set whatever you're carrying down and open it manually. Like you lose all the benefit because of how much longer you're forced to stand there lugging whatever heavy pile of junk has occupied your hands.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Which is true of all the auto-openers, foot trigger or not. Whenever I rent cars with that poo poo I've always just forced it open because I'm not waiting 30 seconds to put my bag in the car. (Don't buy rental cars)

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Those foot operated ones never seem to work. Saw a dude with a brand new XC90 trying again and again. In my KIA it's a proximity sensor for the key. Sure the car needs to go through it's drat beeps and flashes, but I wouldn't want it to open instantly as I pass anyway, and I ripped out the speaker. Very handy when I'm carrying tons of poo poo and it's wet on the ground to just pause for a few (4-5 I think) seconds behind the hatch and it opens. All other times I either open it by pressing the key or just use the handle. Pretty quick to open as well, so not a problem. It's one of those "oh that's silly" but then you actually use it because they designed it well and you start to like it.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Krakkles posted:

Which is true of all the auto-openers, foot trigger or not. Whenever I rent cars with that poo poo I've always just forced it open because I'm not waiting 30 seconds to put my bag in the car. (Don't buy rental cars)

This is me. gently caress auto hatches, what an amazing way to make something over complicated, expensive and worse than the original solution

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Grakkus posted:

This is me. gently caress auto hatches, what an amazing way to make something over complicated, expensive and worse than the original solution

They fit the American consumerist lifestyle of carrying a bunch of poo poo you don't need back to your house to hoard. Now we can carry...more!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Grakkus posted:

My wife's LS has an auto trunk and it's awesome. Opens up quickly, and closes up quickly with a push of a button no complaints about it at all.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Automatic hatches/trunks are one of the most baffling features of modern cars to me. I have absolutely no desire for such a feature, it's just added complexity.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Eyud posted:

Automatic hatches/trunks are one of the most baffling features of modern cars to me. I have absolutely no desire for such a feature, it's just added complexity.

It's primarily marketing, intended to impress you with the clever things the car can do. Whether or not those things are actually useful is left for you to discover after you buy it.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

My wife's LS has an auto trunk and it's awesome. Opens up quickly, and closes up quickly with a push of a button no complaints about it at all.

The button to close the trunk or a tailgate is the second-best modern car convenience feature after auto brake hold.

lordofthefishes
Mar 30, 2008

01000111 01010010 01000101 01000101 01010100 01001001 01001110 01000111 01010011 00100000 01000110 01000101 01001100 01001100 01001111 01010111 00100000 01000011 01000001 01001110 01000001 01000100 01001001 01000001 01001110 01010011

Krakkles posted:

I'm not so sure it's all of them, but it's definitely a safety feature.

https://youtu.be/F7fGISs-wCQ

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

drgitlin posted:

The button to close the trunk or a tailgate is the second-best modern car convenience feature after auto brake hold.

Disagree in a manual transmission car.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
if its not a manual transmission what is the point? i like my lazy mode hill hold but i still keep the brake down, i just have to blast gravel at tailgaters less (even though i do anyways because principle)

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
In my auto it's to stop the car from rolling so I don't have to hold the brake (and thus not shine my bright brake lights in face of anyone behind me).

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

MetaJew posted:

Nah it rules in mine

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

MetaJew posted:

Do you think it's bad or that it's really the best modern convenience?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

MetaJew posted:

Auto brake hold loving owns in the manual LandCruisers we drive around the place. It makes it one less thing to worry about when you're driving around lovely, washed out rutted tracks that have never even heard of a grader.

These are what we drive and it's a drat shame you lot can't get them in the USA.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

drgitlin posted:

What are some of your guys' must-have features on a new car?

Personally it's key-fob-detecting lock/unlock and push button start. I've owned my current car for 5 years and still have to look at the fob if I want to push the actual buttons. I never realized how much I hate digging a pair of keys out of my pocket until I didn't have to. I'd even give up AC before taking my keys out.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I forgot to lock my car today, and I was all like "I don't want to walk 50 feet back across the street to lock this poo poo."

Then I remembered the magic totem of entry in my pocket has buttons!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

ihop posted:

What are some of your guys' must-have features on a new car?

Personally it's key-fob-detecting lock/unlock and push button start. I've owned my current car for 5 years and still have to look at the fob if I want to push the actual buttons. I never realized how much I hate digging a pair of keys out of my pocket until I didn't have to. I'd even give up AC before taking my keys out.

That's the one thing i wish my xB had, but there's an aftermarket kit I think i'm going to get. It's not push button, it just has a knob (heh) in the ignition and you turn it but it's better than pulling the keys out all the time.

https://advancedkeys.com/Prod_AK105S.html

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Keyless entry, wireless carplay, and driver assists are my requirements for a daily driver at this point. Assists suck when you want to play but when you're on that 9-5 schedule a car that watches your back is a huge plus.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Mine are keyless entry/push start, head up display, and active cruise control. Also a very good sound system and easy way to pair my phone to play stuff. (and 400+ hp)

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
I can live without pushbutton start, but give me adjustable lumbar support, heated seats, and wireless Carplay and I'm good.

(Current car has the right seats, but Carplay only via cable...alas.)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Minnesota Mixup posted:

active cruise control.

I don't use the ACC much, since I barely drive the thing it's in and even then it's usually not on a road trip. But after the vary first road trip with ACC I'm sold.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

A spare tire, and a place to put it. None of that run-flat BS.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Craptacular posted:

A spare tire, and a place to put it. None of that run-flat BS.

This post made me look up if my LEAF has a spare.

It has an air pump and tire slime, that apparently cost $600 at the dealership.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Manual transmission with hill hold, heated seats / mirrors and CarPlay are my favorites in my current new car. The push button start and proximity key are also nice though. Definitely make life easier when your pockets are jammed with poo poo