Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nerox
May 20, 2001

D34THROW posted:

Reptilechat!

I was just reminded of a couple of my favorite golf course reptile stories.

I'm in Florida, so we have snakes and gators.

1) My dad and I were at the driving range before a round and when we went to leave, we saw a copperhead or moccasin or some drat danger noodle going across the path. We waited until this thing was pretty much off the path, and then snuck by it in the 8 feet remaining between its tail and the far side of the path. This fucker threw itself around and attacked my goddamn leg, bouncing its head off the cart and completely reversing its course. I about poo poo myself.

2) I got back in the cart once after a hole, and it was the cart with the ball holder up next to the steering wheel, slightly to the right. There was an open section, and out of that open section stuck a nice long black thing with eyes. Six inches from my loving leg. After I got out of the cart and shooed it with a putter, it went out the bottom and what I expected to be 2 feet was more like a 4 foot black racer.

3) We saw baby alligators at a course aptly named Gator Trace! They were about a foot, foot and a half long and really loving cute. Didn't see mama so we just got the gently caress outta dodge before she came back.

4) At another local course, the sixth hole is a straightaway par 4, with a water hazard about 3/4 of the way down on the right and another one down past the green to the left. We had seen a sizable gator in the right-side hazard before, but we didn't appreciate how big until this 12-foot fucker was running across the fairway to the other water hazard. Pants-shittingly big.

For your snake in #1, I gotta say it was a moccasin. I've never seen any other poisonous snake here in Georgia alter course to go after a "threat" to them. Hell a rattlesnake won't even strike at you unless you step on them or sit there and poke at it with a stick or something stupid.

I have a local course that we see gators on pretty often. There is one par 3 that the green backs up onto a swamp area. I am waiting for the day that a gator is sunning itself on that green when I play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

nerox posted:

I have a local course that we see gators on pretty often. There is one par 3 that the green backs up onto a swamp area. I am waiting for the day that a gator is sunning itself on that green when I play.

If I ever saw that poo poo, I'd call the hole within 50 yards of the green at either +3 or +4 more strokes depending on my putting that day :v:

I can't wait till I get a chance to go out again. The last time I took a break, it was 2 years and I dropped 20 strokes. Can't wait to see what 6 years will bring.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
When I went to Gamble Sands last May they told me that if I stepped foot in the waste area any further than 2 or 3 steps that I'd be risking a rattlesnake bite since it was starting to get hot and they liked to come out of their little holes in the afternoon. I had a pretty solid ballstriking round but I lost 6 balls on the day because there were just a handful of shots that I didn't feel like going to the hospital over.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
We have had a death at my course in the last few years from rattlesnakes. They sun on the rocks, and sometimes you're climbing up some odd places to look for balls.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Anyone successfully battle toe strikes? Last year I was doing some drills that would force me to reach out farther, but I'm still seeing them this spring. If you beat the dreaded toe strike, how did you do it?

Applies to both irons and driving

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
I moved closer to the ball.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Loan Dusty Road posted:

I moved closer to the ball.

It's really this, yeah. It's super easy to get further and further back from the ball without realizing you're doing it

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
First non-winter round. Soft, even too soft, fairways, so no extended run on shots. Fast greens, really fast because they'd been dressed.

One birdie, 3 iron, 5 iron, 58 degree to 3 feet on 540 yard par 5. I'm really thinking hard about leaving the hybrids in the garage for a bit.

I could have actually had a decent scoring round if I'd managed to figure out the speeds putting at all. Three three putts, and I think I had one 10 foot putt drop, and other than that, if it was outside 6 feet, it was a miss.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

My home course has a lot of north-facing hills and shade so it never opens as early as some of the other ones in the area. The place I play sporadically in the winter officially opened Sunday and actually mowed the greens and was letting carts out which was really surprising, but there were only a couple spots that got a little muddy and all the fairways were fine. I walked 18 Sunday and again Monday afternoon and the place was packed both days, it was great. I'll probably go again after work Thursday. I already have a noticeably paler left hand vs right.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Old TV poo poo the bed sound-wise so we picked up a 55" Vizio last week.

Three nights ago, found the PGA Tour channel on the WatchFree service (PlutoTV I guess?) and am connecting with my oldest by watching old PGA events. Just watched the recap of the '01 Players' Championship together! Can't wait to teach him someday. :unsmith:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Been at Players Championship all day and just found out they’ve cancelled spectators for the rest of the week! Glad we came today.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I realized I just bought a club on eBay that I already own. I might have a problem lol.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Suprfli6 posted:

I realized I just bought a club on eBay that I already own. I might have a problem lol.

I'm sure you'll find a sympathetic audience here.

I haven't doubled up, but the 3 driving iron I bought is unused and not well hit but I'm using a 3 iron from a 10 year old set.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

A day late at a minimum but at least they did it. Next up, The Masters!

https://twitter.com/PGATOUR/status/1238283409111252993

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Anno posted:

A day late at a minimum but at least they did it. Next up, The Masters!

https://twitter.com/PGATOUR/status/1238283409111252993

I'm surprised. I thought they'd hold out with just no crowds.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

torgeaux posted:

I'm surprised. I thought they'd hold out with just no crowds.

So business as usual. :rimshot:

nerox
May 20, 2001
With every sport being canceled, what the hell is ESPN going to talk about to kill all their airtime. Maybe they will go full "The Ocho" mode.

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon
The Masters has been postponed.

Right move but drat, wondering when it’ll happen.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

nerox posted:

With every sport being canceled, what the hell is ESPN going to talk about to kill all their airtime. Maybe they will go full "The Ocho" mode.

When has ESPN actually talked about sports in the past decade?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Pandanaut posted:

The Masters has been postponed.

Right move but drat, wondering when it’ll happen.

Also, completely inconsequential, but given the small blooming window of Azaleas, it's going to look weird when it finally does happnen!

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

BonoMan posted:

Also, completely inconsequential, but given the small blooming window of Azaleas, it's going to look weird when it finally does happnen!

Pretty sure they already use some horticultural wizardry to get the azaleas to bloom Masters week every year. I'm sure they'll figure it out.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Tiger's back could use some extra time anyway

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Shrapnig posted:

Pretty sure they already use some horticultural wizardry to get the azaleas to bloom Masters week every year. I'm sure they'll figure it out.

The year Bubba won his first they had a really early bloom and no azaleas were to be seen anywhere that week and it looked weird.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Watching YouTubers to pass the golf time (may be able to play on Tuesday).

Mark Crossfield getting a Srixon deal sucks. "Should everyone be playing these balls?" Mid level Srixon qstars? No. I lose 10-15 yards off the tee and they aren't as spinny around the green, thanks ,Mark.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

torgeaux posted:

Watching YouTubers to pass the golf time (may be able to play on Tuesday).

Mark Crossfield getting a Srixon deal sucks. "Should everyone be playing these balls?" Mid level Srixon qstars? No. I lose 10-15 yards off the tee and they aren't as spinny around the green, thanks ,Mark.

He’s one of the most objective guys out there. I’m almost certain he says in the video that you should do your own testing. His channel has tanked in views in the past couple years so he’s going for a lot of clickbait titles in recent times

Edit: For the record, I agree with you. The QStar Tour is nowhere near the ball the ZStar is for me on a personal level, especially around the greens

Shrapnig fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 15, 2020

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Shrapnig posted:

He’s one of the most objective guys out there. I’m almost certain he says in the video that you should do your own testing. His channel has tanked in views in the past couple years so he’s going for a lot of clickbait titles in recent times

Edit: For the record, I agree with you. The QStar Tour is nowhere near the ball the ZStar is for me on a personal level, especially around the greens

I've never had reason to think he was in the tank before, but man has Srixon dominated his videos since the deal.

His feud with Shiels hurt his views, as Shiels and Pete Finch just kind of became the group think. Not doing the youtube tournament was a mistake.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I guess I missed the fued thing

I'm just hoping for non stop NLU content

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

torgeaux posted:

I've never had reason to think he was in the tank before, but man has Srixon dominated his videos since the deal.

His feud with Shiels hurt his views, as Shiels and Pete Finch just kind of became the group think. Not doing the youtube tournament was a mistake.

It could be a requirement of his contract to frontload the year with branded content.

He just did that series of videos with Jamie Sadlowski that had all the entertainment value of watching grass grow. To be fair Sadlowski has the personality of a dog turd.

Other than Coach Lockey, his usual crew has pretty much departed. Rory is pretty much exclusively doing stuff with his company, Dan and that other dude went off to do their own stuff.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Shrapnig posted:

It could be a requirement of his contract to frontload the year with branded content.

He just did that series of videos with Jamie Sadlowski that had all the entertainment value of watching grass grow. To be fair Sadlowski has the personality of a dog turd.

Other than Coach Lockey, his usual crew has pretty much departed. Rory is pretty much exclusively doing stuff with his company, Dan and that other dude went off to do their own stuff.

I was wondering about the reduction to a single sidekick. His travel vlogs are his best content now, and those come in chunks.

The TXG guys, who I really like for tech evals, did a series at one of the shows where they were with a brand rep and those videos sucked because it's never criticism, it's all gushing.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

I've used Maxfli Reds since '07 and been very happy with them. Or at least I did until I went on hiatus in '14. I probably have about 2 or 3 dozen left. My father is a hardcore Pro V1 guy and enjoys ridiculing Top Flite players. Not until I got away from him did I realize how ridiculous golf ball snobbery is.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

D34THROW posted:

I've used Maxfli Reds since '07 and been very happy with them. Or at least I did until I went on hiatus in '14. I probably have about 2 or 3 dozen left. My father is a hardcore Pro V1 guy and enjoys ridiculing Top Flite players. Not until I got away from him did I realize how ridiculous golf ball snobbery is.

The good news is, golf balls don't really get hurt by age, so your two dozen should be fine unless you kept them where they froze and thawed repeatedly.

We're the Maxfi Reds a urethane ball? I don't remember much about them.

Ridiculing any golf ball preference is silly, but the difference in performance between Top Flites and Pro V1s is pretty significant.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeha there's definitely a difference between the bog standard "HIT IT FAR" warbirds, topflites, etc. and Pro V1s, but you also need to know what the hell you're doing to get the absolute most out of a $45-50/dozen set of balls.

Hell I'm a dumbass 11 handicap and I definitely like playing balls (heh) on the softer side, multiple layers, etc. But if I'm in some charity outing or scramble deal, I'm not going to mind playing the standard sleeve of rocks.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

DJExile posted:

Yeha there's definitely a difference between the bog standard "HIT IT FAR" warbirds, topflites, etc. and Pro V1s, but you also need to know what the hell you're doing to get the absolute most out of a $45-50/dozen set of balls.

Hell I'm a dumbass 11 handicap and I definitely like playing balls (heh) on the softer side, multiple layers, etc. But if I'm in some charity outing or scramble deal, I'm not going to mind playing the standard sleeve of rocks.

I like some of the non-urethane "soft" balls, but man, trying to get them to check up on the green is dire. I buy the online only balls because I like the good spin, but I will no longer pay $45 a dozen for balls. Cut, Snell, Vice are all advertised as better than pro v1s, which they're not, but they're 95% of that tier ball and they're 50% cost.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

I have no idea what they were. I played them to get away from spin balls after my disastrous stint on the golf team with Yonex Rekin 10s (players' irons to the core, tiny faces, tiny sweet spot, blades) and Pro V1s. We used to play Precept MC or EV Spin Max or some damned thing, this was in the early 2000s.

:jerkbag: He believes that gotta-go-far balls are for 18+ handicap amateurs. Y'know. Like me.

EDIT: Precept MC Spin 392s! That was the one. When I was younger, my gotta-go-far ball was the Penns - I completely split the skin of one once, I thinned a wedge and ended up with a gouge half an inch deep and across the whole ball. I also remember some Intech brand ball or something that was 1/8" smaller and not regulation; I don't remember how we found that out.

D34THROW fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 16, 2020

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

D34THROW posted:

I have no idea what they were. I played them to get away from spin balls after my disastrous stint on the golf team with Yonex Rekin 10s (players' irons to the core, tiny faces, tiny sweet spot, blades) and Pro V1s. We used to play Precept MC or EV Spin Max or some damned thing, this was in the early 2000s.

:jerkbag: He believes that gotta-go-far balls are for 18+ handicap amateurs. Y'know. Like me.

IF you've been out of golf for 6 years, worth it to order some of the online balls. You'll love them, the price is basically the same as upper tier cheap balls. Hell, even your dad would like them.

nerox
May 20, 2001
I just order AAAA rated golf balls online. Just bought 8 dozen ProV1x's for less than $1 a ball.

I used to only play Wilson Zips which are like $20 for 2 dozen new, but I got a dozen ProV1x's for Christmas and really liked them.

Even at 50% of the costs of new ProV's: Snell, Vice, etc. are still $2+ a ball.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

nerox posted:

I just order AAAA rated golf balls online. Just bought 8 dozen ProV1x's for less than $1 a ball.

I used to only play Wilson Zips which are like $20 for 2 dozen new, but I got a dozen ProV1x's for Christmas and really liked them.

Even at 50% of the costs of new ProV's: Snell, Vice, etc. are still $2+ a ball.

Yeah, you're not alone in this group playing the used ProV1s. Not for me, I don't know why I hesitate, but now that I found the $2 a ball that I really like, I'm pretty content.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Personally I've had great success using Costco golf balls. I'd highly recommend them for anyone that's looking for a good price : quality ratio.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'll be damned, I didn't even know kirkland golf balls were a thing

E: hot drat a 3 piece urethane for $1/ball? yoooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Kirios posted:

Personally I've had great success using Costco golf balls. I'd highly recommend them for anyone that's looking for a good price : quality ratio.

This