Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I volunteer with a veterinary clinic for the pets of the homeless in Sacramento, we’ve been having discussions over what to do. We are decreasing volunteer numbers and doing minimal exams to try and get clients and their pets in and out fast while doing most things outside.

One suggestion was closing the clinic entirely but we are basically it for their veterinary care. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Kuvo posted:

so like is bart shutdown?

Coincidently (or not), the amount of bicycle traffic into NYC has doubled, as people avoid the subway.

I started WFW Feb. 3rd for unrelated reasons but as of next week everyone goes WFH (Los Angeles office).

If I had to restart my San Diego->LA weekly commute I'd continue using Amtrak (the 4:50am train is pretty empty) but I'd bike from Union Station to Hollywierd where the office is (only 7 miles). No subway.

VideoGameVet fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Mar 13, 2020

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
There was a county superintendents meeting today and it looks like ended up pretty united in closure plans. LAUSD and San Diego USD, the two biggest districts in the state, announced 3 week closures and the rest of the day was a series of other counties doing it, including Santa Clara County, Sacramento County, etc. Late today, Newsom released a statement saying that districts wouldn't face a funding penalty for closures - they must have gotten confirmation during their meeting to give the go ahead. 3 weeks in early spring without ADA dollars would blow a huge hole in a lot of districts finances.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I'm told some CSUs are abruptly shutting down campuses with little to no warning to the lecturers. Just "hey your class is online now," no plan, no previous discussion.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I'm told some CSUs are abruptly shutting down campuses with little to no warning to the lecturers. Just "hey your class is online now," no plan, no previous discussion.

Having spent four years attending and working for a CSU, and absorbing the politics through my manager who was on the governing board, it's 100% on brand for them.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

cheese posted:

There was a county superintendents meeting today and it looks like ended up pretty united in closure plans. LAUSD and San Diego USD, the two biggest districts in the state, announced 3 week closures and the rest of the day was a series of other counties doing it, including Santa Clara County, Sacramento County, etc. Late today, Newsom released a statement saying that districts wouldn't face a funding penalty for closures - they must have gotten confirmation during their meeting to give the go ahead. 3 weeks in early spring without ADA dollars would blow a huge hole in a lot of districts finances.

This is why California has a 20 billion dollar rainy day fund. And its loving pouring right now, so they better loving use it

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

cheese posted:

Yep basically everywhere is closed until April 3rd. My district just informed everyone that we should not come in to work Monday, and that they'll be in touch over who is "essential personnel" and how they will be expected to fill those duties. poo poo's wild.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The education budget had been running a surplus for a little while too which conservatives have been screaming about for "stealing our tax dollars" lately

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Confirmed that the CSU where I work is shutting down in-person classes until mid-April. I highly doubt class will be back in session at all this semester.

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

A lot of CSU's are saying closed but that just means academics and professors. I believe there are still "non-essential" staff required to be on campus which is kinda lovely

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
LAUSD is only closed for 2 weeks. That would mean everyone comes back for 4 days then leaves again for spring break (1 week) if the current schedule holds.

They might just give everyone 3 weeks and cancel spring break. No one knows until we see how things develop over the next few days.

Administrators have permission to be on site Monday in case there are a significant number of laptops that still need to be loaned out to kids. Otherwise, as of yesterday, the buildings and grounds staff are all working to sanitize all classrooms so they'll unfortunately still be at work.

LA school police is also working, but they'll be primarily doing "Asset and Property" work to make sure no one's in a smashing spree and taking laptops/ipads/etc.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

San Mateo community colleges are shut down next week while everybody preps to teach online.

Smith and MIT have already said that all spring term courses will be pass/fail, which sounds very sensible to me.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Hawkperson posted:

Yep basically everywhere is closed until April 3rd. My district just informed everyone that we should not come in to work Monday, and that they'll be in touch over who is "essential personnel" and how they will be expected to fill those duties. poo poo's wild.
I work for a COE that already does a ton of independent study learning with our kids. I'm fully expecting to be called into work on Tuesday and told to prepare to teach the rest of the year as independent study.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Cal Poly went from sending a video to the whole campus on Thursday saying next week's finals would still be in-person to sending an email after 5 PM yesterday "suggesting" that all finals be conducted online. Haha good job, everybody!

Spring Break is being extended by a week and the first two weeks of spring quarter will be online-only, for an extra batch of fun. Glad I'm not a student and my IT department is administrative, not academic!

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
UCR just sent an email saying the whole campus is closed as of Monday, with anyone caught on campus being subject to criminal prosecution. This isn't just academics but also research people as well. No word about what all the undergrads and foreign residents living in dorms are supposed to do in less than 2 days or what happens to the 100s of millions of dollars of research organisms. GG UC.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
That's exactly why LAUSD slow-rolled the closedown. They had to get some things lined up (Resource Centers for food and basically emergency daycare, PBS-based instruction, pay). Parents now have the weekend to plan for the closure and staff at least had time to plan how to distribute work.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This is gonna last at least till May.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Waiting on my county to close the library system so I don't have to worry about going to work during this. SF public, Oakland, San Mateo and others have already shut down. CoCo county is really dragging its feet on this, I think we supposedly need approval from the board of supervisors or something to shut down. No way in hell am I reporting as a emergency worker if they call on me either, I don't trust them to properly train or equip anyone.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

My mom is a teacher in Madera County and they've closed all schools. Staff will still be reporting to the school sites to prepare lessons etc. for children to study at home, and breakfasts and lunches will still be available for children to pick up. Lot going on.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

San Mateo community colleges are shut down next week while everybody preps to teach online.

Smith and MIT have already said that all spring term courses will be pass/fail, which sounds very sensible to me.

Same here. I work at a small community college and they will shut down our campus the week following Spring Break, but all staff/faculty are required to report to work so we can train and prepare to do remote teaching. They are emphasizing that this is not the same thing as online courses because the district recognizes it's Kind of an Ask, but it's not ideal. I have at least 1 homeless student, 6 without home computers, and ~8 without internet at home. Most of my students reported that they specifically avoid online courses because they fail them 😬 it's... not great.

I am stuck between that feeling of "Gotta pull through for my customers/students!" and being bitter that my job as a teacher is now basically doing work for free so my students get a real education. But that bitter feeling literally never goes away and I have it WAY better than other people so I am hesitant to actually bitch.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Anonymous Zebra posted:

UCR just sent an email saying the whole campus is closed as of Monday, with anyone caught on campus being subject to criminal prosecution. This isn't just academics but also research people as well. No word about what all the undergrads and foreign residents living in dorms are supposed to do in less than 2 days or what happens to the 100s of millions of dollars of research organisms. GG UC.

Seems kind of silly. They could keep the labs open; it's small groups of people working in a fairly clean environment. Canceling classes is enough to stop large groups of people congregating.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dirk the Average posted:

Seems kind of silly. They could keep the labs open; it's small groups of people working in a fairly clean environment. Canceling classes is enough to stop large groups of people congregating.

That's what they're apparently doing here in Fresno; not sure about the particulars at Fresno State, but Fresno City College is suspending most in-person, on-campus classes next week, so teachers can prepare to move things online, but the college is still open, normal essential operations will continue, and things that can't be done online like labs will still happen as well, both next week and the rest of the semester in general, as I understand it. Quite a few events have been canceled or postponed as well; all sporting events have been canceled, for example.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
LA school district is asking central office employees to show up unless they're high risk or pregnant. Food services and IT will show up as directed to help distribute food or assist in checking out laptops. Financial staff can show up 2 days if necessary to prepare paperwork.

All custodial staff will remain active as they disinfect all surfaces and carry out regular duties/deep clean. All bus drivers will show up Monday to receive directions.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Cal Poly on Thursday: "All classes and finals will be in-person this week and next week. Spring quarter will start a week late."
Cal Poly on Friday, after business hours: "You can do online finals if you want. Spring quarter might have some online-only classes."
*person tests positive in SLO County*
Cal Poly yesterday: "No in-person finals. First two weeks of spring quarter are online-only."

Crossing my fingers that campus explodes before work starts tomorrow!

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

CPColin posted:

Cal Poly on Thursday: "All classes and finals will be in-person this week and next week. Spring quarter will start a week late."
Cal Poly on Friday, after business hours: "You can do online finals if you want. Spring quarter might have some online-only classes."
*person tests positive in SLO County*
Cal Poly yesterday: "No in-person finals. First two weeks of spring quarter are online-only."

Crossing my fingers that campus explodes before work starts tomorrow!

Does Firestone still make dope sandwhiches.

Anyways on topic, my old Community college seemed to be ahead of the game a shut down a week or so ago. Was kinda shocked that they reacted quickly.

Balloon Time Hooray!
Apr 18, 2007
Maybe you're not an ugly human being but a good looking ape... with exceptional verbal skills.

Dirk the Average posted:

"Essential personnel" are still allowed, and who those people are is up to dept heads and PIs. In our lab that means one person per day is allowed to run samples keep our equipment running, we'll be taking turns over the next few weeks doing that.

Improper Umlaut
Jun 8, 2009

Governor's press conference on COVID-19 outbreak, starting soon

https://youtu.be/bLS-tSZpV0A

(was supposed to start at 1:00)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

bought the farm posted:

Odds he closes the bars / restaurants ?

I put it at about 10% chance.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

bought the farm posted:

Riveting stuff

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Going live soon.

The president is going live at 2pm.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Telsa Cola posted:

Does Firestone still make dope sandwhiches.

They do, except we never eat there because it's so popular that the service tends to suffer. I do enjoy going all, "Back in my day, the tritip sandwich was only $3.50!" on people who got here after 2002.

Two confirmed cases in SLO County now. Boss emailed us to remind us we're expected to show up tomorrow, unless we've alreasy been excused, lol.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

50% capacity lol

Improper Umlaut
Jun 8, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Odds he closes the bars / restaurants ?

I put it at about 10% chance.

Should have bet on those odds.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

bought the farm posted:

Should have bet on those odds.

Ridiculous.

50% Lmao

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Gavbot keeps saying nation-state in reference to California, has that been a normal thing for him?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

jetz0r posted:

Gavbot keeps saying nation-state in reference to California, has that been a normal thing for him?

Maybe he's planning to secede after Trump completely fucks the nation and/or tries to ban California from interacting with the rest of the country (beyond paying him taxes).

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

jetz0r posted:

Laying the groundwork for CalExit :getin:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

jetz0r posted:

I don't know, but I loving dig it.

Seniors 65+ on home isolation is pretty wild. That's like all the parents in my friend circles, except for a few.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

jetz0r posted:

Maybe it is his way of better phrasing the challenges and numbers facing CA? When you have a top 10 in the world economy, 40m people and 160k square miles, thinking about it as a nation might be a better way to visual it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So we only have 8 days worth of tests left right?

He said there are 8000 tests left and they are doing 1000-1200 a day.

Wtf?