Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Tesco trip report: No TP, no pasta, no cooking oil, no bleach. But they did have frozen mushrooms!

e: 80 is a Green Day song, the number of columns in IBM cards and terminals, the standard port for http, and the atomic number of mercury. Tesco did not have any of these.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ThomasPaine posted:

Every other country in Europe has been under occupation and has seen cities become warzones and mass death

Sweden and Switzerland and Portugal and depending on how you count it Spain all say hi :colbert:

deano
Sep 6, 2000

In the scottish borders air ambo parked up localy according to facebook and i've heard 2 sets of sirens on the main road near mine in the last hour.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The gym is surprisingly busy considering the lockers all looked empty

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

feedmegin posted:

Sweden and Switzerland and Portugal and depending on how you count it Spain all say hi :colbert:
Spain and Portugal still have living memory of their own fash dictators though.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

feedmegin posted:

You get my point!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

mediaphage posted:

What? Brioche is perfectly fine for burgers.

Brioche bad imo. Not on taste grounds, it just falls apart too easily!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

Spain and Portugal still have living memory of their own fash dictators though.

The Spanish Civil War was my 'depending how you count it' bit yeah

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Jose posted:

The gym is surprisingly busy considering the lockers all looked empty

100% they'll be travelling home in their gym stuff and change at home.

Hell I don't know if that's better or not.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ThomasPaine posted:

I'd say if you are immune compromised or live with people who are, you'd have an extremely strong case in a tribunal if an employer tried to gently caress you over for refusing to work during a pandemic

Hope you've been in that job for a minimum of two years or no tribunal for you, thanks New Labour/Coalition Government.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

feedmegin posted:

iirc sweden had that one day that they changed all the roads to driving on the right which i assume is the same level of social collapse that one would get from a significant international conflict

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

namesake posted:

100% they'll be travelling home in their gym stuff and change at home.

Hell I don't know if that's better or not.

I never shower at the gym because I've not cooled down in time and just end up sweating again

Someone just dropped the bar on a 210kg squat next to me and I only noticed because of the sound and if scared the poo poo out of me

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

feedmegin posted:

Brioche bad imo. Not on taste grounds, it just falls apart too easily!

Tbh I think that's just poorly made brioche. I wouldn't use sliced brioche for a burger, but you can make totally capable brioche buns. At the end of the day, brioche is just an enriched dough, and enriched doughs can be lovely with beef.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

XMNN posted:

for anyone who's curious

e: not quite the "why aren't the millennials out there licking doorknobs to save me" I was expecting, but the bolded bit is sort of missing the point that the government has been doing this itself by issuing advice that is unclear and untimely and allowing themselves to be wrong footed by people's general willingness to make sacrifices that the government had decided they weren't prepared for
The line that the Government has access to experts and knowledge that we don't, while also being the same line trotted out for a bunch of wars that turned out really badly, doesn't hold up too well when you consider that every other country also has experts and knowledge, and almost all of them are pursuing a very different strategy to the UK. Sure, no two countries are exactly the same, but if the UK population and the NHS are so unique that it makes sense to go against the accepted best response of the whole of the rest of the world it'd be nice if it were explained just why that is.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

kyojin posted:

I'm 40 and this just cranked my anxiety 8000% cool. I know I'm still extremely unlikely to need it but loving hell.

I'm 45, immunocompromised and am so far as I know still the world record holder for most severe loss of lung capacity in a self-admitted patient. This should make you feel better.

E:

Guavanaut posted:

What about the 40-50% of life that is parasitic, and the 20% that is parasitic to the degree that it can't replicate without undermining a host's cellular biochemistry?

They're in government, mate.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Mar 14, 2020

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

feedmegin posted:

The Spanish Civil War was my 'depending how you count it' bit yeah

Well yeah but that's still widespread devestation.

Also the UK is unique in that unlike Sweden, Switzerland etc it actually directly fought in WW2 but wasn't really subject to any significant mass disruption and destruction on anything like the same level as Germany, France, Italy, the USSR etc etc. The USA was kinda like this too I guess, which explains a lot, though I think Britain's proximity to the fighting is important here too. I might say hey, good job the channel was there huh, but for so many it's just :britain: BRITAIN STRONK BLITZ SPIRIT :britain: and we've never had to really examine that attitude for the dumb poo poo it is, and that all merges into the imperial nostalgia to make a whole big toxic pot of implicit British exceptionalism that's been directly encouraged ever since and the only way to get rid of that - which is responsible for so many of the awful parts of our culture - is for it to blow up in the faces of those who can't stop swallowing it.

Ideally it would be nice if this could be done metaphorically without actually killing tens or hundreds of thousands of grannies but here we are.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 14, 2020

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I don't think anyone's really saying the government's experts don't know what they're doing, more that the thing they're doing (let everyone catch it instead of trying to stop it spreading) is bad. And their reasoning for why we should do it this way has barely been outlined, beyond "behavioural science says everyone will get bored and run around after 2 weeks so there's literally nothing we can do"

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Jedit posted:

I'm 45, immunocompromised and am so far as I know still the world record holder for most severe loss of lung capacity in a self-admitted patient. This should make you feel better.

There is no national guidance for who gets a ventilator, and certainly no age cut-off. Decisions will be made locally depending on demand, which may eventually include age as a big factor but it will still be a unit-specific decision.

baka kaba posted:

I don't think anyone's really saying the government's experts don't know what they're doing, more that the thing they're doing (let everyone catch it instead of trying to stop it spreading) is bad. And their reasoning for why we should do it this way has barely been outlined, beyond "behavioural science says everyone will get bored and run around after 2 weeks so there's literally nothing we can do"

There seems to be a lot of misconception (encouraged by the government) about what other countries are actually doing. People are generally not being barricaded in their houses. The countries that have controlled it well like China and South Korea have set up mass testing and treatment programs and closed schools/cancelled all events. Neither of which are measures people can "get bored of" and ignore.

It doesn't matter if people leave their houses if every time they enter a building they get their temperature taken and there are no mass gatherings for them to attend anyway.

jabby fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Mar 14, 2020

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Amidst the corona-chat, I finally found pure UKMT in video form

https://twitter.com/NoContextHearn/status/1215340072616239106

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Depressing thought: if the government's "lots of you will die, but stiff upper lip, eh what?" approach goes catastrophically wrong and there's a huge death toll, it's so early in their term that by the time the next election comes around they'll use the "but that bad thing happened years ago, let's concentrate on the issues of today" argument, backed 100% by the usual suspects in the media.

And loads of people will fall for it and vote Tory again.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Well except most of the dead people will be their voters

https://twitter.com/theryderathome/...ingawful.com%2F

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Jedit posted:

Hi there, comprobuddy.
There's some evidence that pregnant women are more likely to survive coronavirus and the conjecture is that it's due to natural suppression of their immune systems. The mechanism at play is that in the late stages of pneumonia, what can finish you off is your immune system falling into a positive feedback loop and getting a bit overzealous. It's popularly called a "cytokine storm" and was a bit of a thing back in the SARS days.
So what I'm saying is, after all the puking, wooziness, anaemia, bouts of whooping cough and fleeing from the chickenpoxed, finally an upside.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean at this rate it's quite possible it will wipe out enough tory MPs that the byelections will knock out the majority :v:

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I sort of want to believe that if it gets really bad (to the point where no one over 40 gets into an ICU and they're having to dig mass graves or what have you) and it is noticeably worse here than other places, that even the British public won't be able to forgive and forget

on the other hand, the British public have never failed to disappoint me so I have 0 optimism

I wouldn't be surprised if the only significant impact on the next election is demographic

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

jabby posted:

There is no national guidance for who gets a ventilator, and certainly no age cut-off. Decisions will be made locally depending on demand, which may eventually include age as a big factor but it will still be a unit-specific decision.

There seems to be a lot of misconception (encouraged by the government) about what other countries are actually doing. People are generally not being barricaded in their houses. The countries that have controlled it well like China and South Korea have set up mass testing and treatment programs and closed schools/cancelled all events. Neither of which are measures people can "get bored of" and ignore.

It doesn't matter if people leave their houses if every time they enter a building they get their temperature taken and there are no mass gatherings for them to attend anyway.

There's no national guidance about a ventilator age cutoff yet, because no way in hell does Boris want something like that floating around on paper with a government official's signature on it. Rather than becoming official policy, each health authority will be left to make it's own decision. The same with not banning mass gatherings until most of them have been cancelled of their own accord.

As to testing, I heard a doctor on the radio today ridicule the herd immunity response due to the lack of community testing. If only people presenting at hospitals with symptoms are tested, how do we know if and when we've reached herd immunity levels of infection?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Pesmerga posted:

Death count in England has doubled.
Is that good? :v:

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Traffic is completely dead looking at Google Maps. Got to go on a medicine run after I take my partner into work - will be interesting to see what it’s like.

zhar
May 3, 2019

Jose posted:

Well except most of the dead people will be their voters

https://twitter.com/theryderathome/...ingawful.com%2F

Anyone know where those numbers of 32 and 42 % come from?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

zhar posted:

Anyone know where those numbers of 32 and 42 % come from?

kopasetic posted:

here is a discussion with an Italian ICU doc that was organized by JAMA so very reliable data. At ~13:15 they show the case fatality for Italy as of that time. 70-79 was 34.2%. 80-89 is 44.3%. That's Ebola type numbers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKS1pahoPRU

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
e: old news

XMNN fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 14, 2020

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

XMNN posted:

I sort of want to believe that if it gets really bad (to the point where no one over 40 gets into an ICU and they're having to dig mass graves or what have you) and it is noticeably worse here than other places, that even the British public won't be able to forgive and forget

on the other hand, the British public have never failed to disappoint me so I have 0 optimism

I wouldn't be surprised if the only significant impact on the next election is demographic

Demographic effect is hugely important, though, because the breakpoint on Labour to Tory majority voting by cohort is now in exactly the same place where COVID-19 starts killing people in large numbers. Under-50s vote Labour and have a sub-1% mortality rate; over-50s vote Tory and the mortality rate basically triples per 10 years above 50.

zhar
May 3, 2019

Thanks. The tweet seems to be mistaken then, 60-69 is only 8.1% and the other figures are for 70-79 and 80-89. Still bad tho

e: oh wait thats overall mortality rate, only 2.7% 60-69 with it died of the actual virus. that tweet is dodgy

zhar fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 14, 2020

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Soylent Yellow posted:

If only people presenting at hospitals with symptoms are tested, how do we know if and when we've reached herd immunity levels of infection?
When nobody presents at hospitals with symptoms anymore because everyone has died out of the herd or survived the illness.
The government response to foot and mouth was far more enthusiastic but I suppose that's because unlike cattle, humans have no intrinsic market value that you have to compensate the owners for after you bulldoze their carcasses into a pit full of burning petrol.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Soylent Yellow posted:

There's no national guidance about a ventilator age cutoff yet, because no way in hell does Boris want something like that floating around on paper with a government official's signature on it. Rather than becoming official policy, each health authority will be left to make it's own decision. The same with not banning mass gatherings until most of them have been cancelled of their own accord.

I don't doubt it will come to rationing ventilators, but it's just scaremongering to say "I heard the plan is nobody over 40 gets one". In the event you need a ventilator nobody can predict what the situation in your local hospital will be like at that specific time, so there's no point stressing just because your birthday was last week.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

why do we want to avoid a second wave? it seems like a good thing to have people infected now and then some infected later rather than EVERYONE getting infected at the same time.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

jabby posted:

Yeah it's a very low-information approach and I just think it's designed to put people at ease, make them think it's another stiff upper lip situation where everyone has to make sacrifices like washing their hands more, everything is fine we will prevail. It's like they know exactly what's coming down the track and they've decided to just let it happen, so it's soothing ocean sounds until then

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

hemale in pain posted:

why do we want to avoid a second wave? it seems like a good thing to have people infected now and then some infected later rather than EVERYONE getting infected at the same time.

Depends on whether you're concerned about human lives or lost productivty due to quarantines and sickness, and which do you think motivates the tory to get out of bed in the morning?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

OwlFancier posted:

Depends on whether you're concerned about human lives or lost productivty due to quarantines and sickness, and which do you think motivates the tory to get out of bed in the morning?

Yeah basically, either the country is in start/stop mode until there's a good vaccine to distribute or you just let it rip through the first time and then rely on survivor immunity.

It's a Profits before People approach unless they've got some really miraculous calculations out there and are keeping them hidden.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Gammon rage Incoming

https://twitter.com/JoshNBCNews/sta...ingawful.com%2F

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

hemale in pain posted:

Shut up Coronamoaner