Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Julio Cruz posted:

how small are your burgers if you're getting 3 1/3 per 8oz ribeye
Do the maths. They already said that they roll 'em up small and smash 'em out thin, which is Correct for a smash burger & you can double up for a little bigger than a quarter pounder

E: gently caress sake twice in a row? & they weren't even good posts, gently caress. 82 is an integer between 81 and 83 & is exactly 80 more than my current number of consecutive snipes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Looks like I'm cancelling my New York trip for 1st week in May come Monday then, given this poo poo is gonna get worse before it gets better. Fucks up my girlfriends 40th.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Julio Cruz posted:

how small are your burgers if you're getting 3 1/3 per 8oz ribeye

About 75g or 2.6 oz per patty I'd guess.

I got 9 patties out of the batch last night from the three 8oz steaks. A 1/4 lb burger is 4oz right?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Borrovan posted:

Do the maths. They already said that they roll 'em up small and smash 'em out thin, which is Correct for a smash burger & you can double up for a little bigger than a quarter pounder

E: gently caress sake twice in a row? & they weren't even good posts, gently caress. 82 is an integer between 81 and 83 & is exactly 80 more than my current number of consecutive snipes

yes I did the maths actually that's the point

personally I really don't see the point on using ribeye on something so small and thin it's going to dry out as soon as it even looks at a hot pan

and arguing that the equivalent of a <2.5oz burger is going to cost you £8 anywhere is just flat out wrong

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Goldskull posted:

Looks like I'm cancelling my New York trip for 1st week in May come Monday then, given this poo poo is gonna get worse before it gets better. Fucks up my girlfriends 40th.

Well we are now banned from travelling to the USA from Monday and it's unlikely to be in good shape until quite a bit later so they may cancel on you first? Wait and see if you get some compensation unless there's a limit to when you can cancel.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

I dropped by Tesco to pick up a few things on the way home from visiting a friend and it appears the panic buying is in full apocalypse mode now.

Sounds like a normal day in Rochester to be honest.

I'm a bit concerned that Bardeh has seen two people collapse today. Please stay away from Sheerness.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Prince John posted:

The reason given is that if the first wave peaks when predicted, the second wave will arrive in winter, when the NHS is least able to cope. The second wave of the Spanish flu was also much more deadly than the first, although I've not seen any evidence either way to suggest whether there's reason to think the same will be true with COVID-19.

I've heard that arguement but i dunno the problem seems to be lack of ventilators so surely spreading out the disease which will require ventilators to save 10% of those infected is the smart choice. We could even be prepared for the next wave so we could save more lives by having more beds/ventilators ready.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Oh dear me posted:

... we are asking the government to publish its scientific modelling and explain transparently the conclusions it has drawn. ...

We also believe the government must take more comprehensive steps to ensure insecure, self-employed and unprotected workers are not forced to choose between health and hardship, and are able to take time off work and self-isolate if necessary, in the interests of us all.'

Yeah like I said, snide and cowardly guardian poo poo.

Call this out ffs why is everyone so desperate to pretend this is fine. Its murder

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Bojo: our pandemic plan is to have everyone become infected with the lethal virus

Labour: would you mind showing me your maths on that? I'll wait.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Even sturgeon has fallen in line. Its madness.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Have just split up the (as was) Brexit stash with the ex boyf and I'm going to be eating some strange dishes if this Corona virus sticks around very long. We are talking beef ravioli green beans and peaches!

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
e: actually no i'm not going to

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

So on the afternoon of my first day of coronavirus-enforced working from home, my home PC collapsed. I think the SSD has failed, but I was vaguely thinking about getting a new machine anyway, so I guess that’s happening. Anyone know if this is an extremely bad time to buy a PC because of the virus? And can recommend someone who can ship a decent rig at a reasonable price quickly?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Angepain posted:

e: actually no i'm not going to

Mood.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Sloth Life posted:

Have just split up the (as was) Brexit stash with the ex boyf and I'm going to be eating some strange dishes if this Corona virus sticks around very long. We are talking beef ravioli green beans and peaches!

That sounds like a perfectly fine meal? Ravioli, side of veg, canned peaches for dessert (great poured on top of buttered bread if available).

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Communist Thoughts posted:

Yeah like I said, snide and cowardly guardian poo poo.

Call this out ffs why is everyone so desperate to pretend this is fine. Its murder

Obviously nothing will ever actually happen, but are politicians theoretically criminally liable if they make negligent decisions that lead to (say) hundreds of thousands of excess deaths? Or do they just get to say "my bad" as 500,000 corpses have to be disposed of?

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Angrymog posted:

I'm a bit concerned that Bardeh has seen two people collapse today. Please stay away from Sheerness.

Same thing happened near me this morning. Somebody collapsed in the vegetable aisle of the local Lidl, cracked his head, blood and paramedics everywhere.

My boss is due to fly out to Tenerife for a holiday tomorrow. He's going ahead with it because he doesn't want to lose the 1.5k he spent on it. I don't know if he's booked to fly with Jet2 or not, so this can go one of two ways. Either he was booked to fly with them and I don't get left to my own devices for a week, or he does fly and gets stuck there for who knows how long when Spain inevitably locks down the country. Guess I'll find out tomorrow.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Bojo: our pandemic plan is to have everyone become infected with the lethal virus

Labour: would you mind showing me your maths on that? I'll wait.

First off it's very like Corbyn to want to see proof before blustering about things, we thought that was the right approach with Novichok.

Second of all, there is unfortunately a trade off situation here in that disruption of every day life will also cost lives, just like mass evacuations in the face of looming disasters cause injuries and sometimes their own deaths. We do them because we can see a clear benefit to the action rather than the alternatives but there's no costless solution. The Tory approach is flawed with a lot of assumptions but alternative courses of action will have their own assumptions and whatever the course of action taken, it's vital that the public understands what they're agreeing to or being signed up to. Boris hosed up his conference by saying 'Well we've decided people are going to die and we're not going to do anything yet.' as if they just didn't care enough to act and they don't but an honest discussion and change of course needs public awareness of the facts to increase before an alternative can be agreed.

For the moment we attack the herd immunity plan on its many open flaws, we then hear the modelling data they used and point out the bullshit in it and construct a better plan with public agreement.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
Boris Johnson's Coronavirus plan: Bag the bug for Britain.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Soylent Yellow posted:

Same thing happened near me this morning. Somebody collapsed in the vegetable aisle of the local Lidl, cracked his head, blood and paramedics everywhere.

My boss is due to fly out to Tenerife for a holiday tomorrow. He's going ahead with it because he doesn't want to lose the 1.5k he spent on it. I don't know if he's booked to fly with Jet2 or not, so this can go one of two ways. Either he was booked to fly with them and I don't get left to my own devices for a week, or he does fly and gets stuck there for who knows how long when Spain inevitably locks down the country. Guess I'll find out tomorrow.

There was tons of reports of people collapsing in china. I kinda brushed it off because i see people requiring medical asssistance on a monthly basis in town because of falls/accidents but yeah it seems like it was all real which is horrible.

it does mean these people are leaving their houses while feverish which is disturbing.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

namesake posted:

Well we are now banned from travelling to the USA from Monday and it's unlikely to be in good shape until quite a bit later so they may cancel on you first? Wait and see if you get some compensation unless there's a limit to when you can cancel.

I'll have a chat with my travel agent Monday, who's conveniently one of my best mates' wife. I'm sure she'll be thrilled at the volume of calls coming in after a 2 week holiday herself.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Comrade Fakename posted:

So on the afternoon of my first day of coronavirus-enforced working from home, my home PC collapsed. I think the SSD has failed, but I was vaguely thinking about getting a new machine anyway, so I guess that’s happening. Anyone know if this is an extremely bad time to buy a PC because of the virus? And can recommend someone who can ship a decent rig at a reasonable price quickly?

I'd get it done before businesses start closing offices and asking people to work from home. Where I work, the contingency plan for office closures is "buy everyone laptops".

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

namesake posted:

First off it's very like Corbyn to want to see proof before blustering about things, we thought that was the right approach with Novichok.

Second of all, there is unfortunately a trade off situation here in that disruption of every day life will also cost lives, just like mass evacuations in the face of looming disasters cause injuries and sometimes their own deaths. We do them because we can see a clear benefit to the action rather than the alternatives but there's no costless solution. The Tory approach is flawed with a lot of assumptions but alternative courses of action will have their own assumptions and whatever the course of action taken, it's vital that the public understands what they're agreeing to or being signed up to. Boris hosed up his conference by saying 'Well we've decided people are going to die and we're not going to do anything yet.' as if they just didn't care enough to act and they don't but an honest discussion and change of course needs public awareness of the facts to increase before an alternative can be agreed.

For the moment we attack the herd immunity plan on its many open flaws, we then hear the modelling data they used and point out the bullshit in it and construct a better plan with public agreement.

The second part of your post is straight nonsense sorry, the assumptions made in our fun herd immunity plan are not equivalent to the assumptions made in the tried and tested plans being enacted by countries who know how to deal with pandemics. That's tory PR garbage.

The last bit is eh, cowardly and time wasting bullshit that's not going to result in a public agreed plan lead by some craven labour mps. The plan is obvious horseshit. We can nitpick the fake plan while we call it out for the murderous negligence that it is.

It's so loving demoralising to see the whole establishment come together, literally like never before in our lifetimes, to softly softly this loving madness.
Corbyn is supposed to be the guy who picks people over the economy and nope he's gonna thinkyface at this poo poo.

Whats even the risk to labour and Corbyn at this point? A catastrophic election loss?

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola

hemale in pain posted:

There was tons of reports of people collapsing in china. I kinda brushed it off because i see people requiring medical asssistance on a monthly basis in town because of falls/accidents but yeah it seems like it was all real which is horrible.

it does mean these people are leaving their houses while feverish which is disturbing.

People have wound up intubated while afebrile mind. I’m not sure how stealthily this thing can come on, but pneumonia can sometimes cause fairly sudden collapse.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

knox_harrington posted:

Obviously nothing will ever actually happen, but are politicians theoretically criminally liable if they make negligent decisions that lead to (say) hundreds of thousands of excess deaths? Or do they just get to say "my bad" as 500,000 corpses have to be disposed of?

There is, I think, an explicit law that says legislators cannot be held responsible for the effects of their policies.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
We just need to trick the queen into going to South Sudan.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Pesmerga posted:

1140 cases, up from 797 yesterday.
An increase of 1.4x, so actually accelerating from the daily 1.3x increase we’ve had up until now :waycool:

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

knox_harrington posted:

Gross negligence manslaughter is A Thing, but iirc gross negligence is a really high threshold (also, lol consequences)

Sorry about the break up Sloth :(

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TACD posted:

An increase of 1.4x, so actually accelerating from the daily 1.3x increase we’ve had up until now :waycool:
Exactly 2 weeks behind Italy.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

The second part of your post is straight nonsense sorry, the assumptions made in our fun herd immunity plan are not equivalent to the assumptions made in the tried and tested plans being enacted by countries who know how to deal with pandemics. That's tory PR garbage.

The last bit is eh, cowardly and time wasting bullshit that's not going to result in a public agreed plan lead by some craven labour mps. The plan is obvious horseshit. We can nitpick the fake plan while we call it out for the murderous negligence that it is.

It's so loving demoralising to see the whole establishment come together, literally like never before in our lifetimes, to softly softly this loving madness.
Corbyn is supposed to be the guy who picks people over the economy and nope he's gonna thinkyface at this poo poo.

Whats even the risk to labour and Corbyn at this point? A catastrophic election loss?

The covid 19 response plan is going to require all 66 million of us to act probably very differently, it's essential that we all understand and agree to the basic logic of it. The Tories failure to understand that is why they thought the herd immunity strategy would be okay and why they already had to clarify that action will eventually be taken more similarly to other countries. Any other plan is going to have to overcome that same level of skeptism and potential for disobedience so openness, public buy in and knowledge is key.

Covid 19 is out there, it's already killed people, there's no plan that will save us all. What we can and will demand is a plan that consciously sacrifices things like the 'economy' to protect more lives and while such abstract things are fine and we should be issuing demands now (ahem, https://www.rs21.org.uk/2020/03/13/acting-on-covid-19/) the national plan is not something that can just be cobbled together from looking at other countries from afar, it's looking at what the authorities know and think will happen and the strategy forming from it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also labour don't have access to an epidemiology department to make their own plan because that's a government office, and they're politicians, clearly not qualified to do it themselves.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/kadhim/status/1238891476265902083?s=19

We're on our own.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Bardeh posted:

Just went to Rochester, high street seemed normal if relatively quiet, but then there was an older woman who'd collapsed in the doorway of a Holland and Barrett and an ambulance zoomed up and took her away. In all likelihood just a fall, but my anxiety levels shot through the roof and we came straight home. The guy in the vape shop was bug-eyed and talking about his cousin in the SAS (lol) who told him we're getting locked down in 3 days and not to drink tap water. I'm not usually a particularly anxious person but gently caress, I think I gotta take a break from reading/listening to the news.

What the gently caress is it with people working in vape shops being conspiracy theorists?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

What's a good not too expensive bidet toilet seat I fancy getting one and if anyone is going to recommend a good poo poo cleaner it's s goon

Just buy a can of Sprite instead.

(Latest TFTM had a story of someone improvising a bidet out of a shaken can of Sprite, a genius idea until a bunch of wasps kept chasing his arse to try and get at the sugary residue)

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I need to stop addictively refreshing this thread. It’s doing my anxiety no good.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oodles posted:

I need to stop addictively refreshing this thread. It’s doing my anxiety no good.

Go play a vidyas game or something. I'm doing both but you should not follow my example for mental health lol.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I've been finding twitter especially bad for being a non-stop feed of "crisis is coming" anxiety. Staying away from that for the forseeable future.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

As a general note yes, simply taking in new facts without having the knowledge, time or context to interpret them is going to only cause worry rather than clarity.

gently caress there's a political theory of panic and time under capitalist society in this. Are bubbles not simply psychological reaffirmation groups but also necessary mental health protection to allow us to disregard the infinite sources of updates which we are now connected to? If so how can we signal to other bubbles in a collaborative way that we are possessing worthwhile knowledge and contain people of value and friendship? In periods of class struggle that was simple enough for socialist groups to do so as they would be organising and leading strikes to help others but modern day charity intervention doesn't carry that same impact because it's a top down saviour model rather than joint struggle.

These mutual aid groups getting set up are going to be loving fire.

namesake fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 14, 2020

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I would personally say that it's time to crack each others heads open and feast on the goo inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

josh04 posted:

I've been finding twitter especially bad for being a non-stop feed of "crisis is coming" anxiety. Staying away from that for the forseeable future.

I had a breakdown a few years ago and was put on antidepressants and beta blockers.

I’d wake up every morning and check Twitter and BBC to see where had been attacked or bombed, and somehow relate myself to that location. It was a bad time, I got out of that habit but I feel myself going back towards it. I feel like I need to know everything. Which isn’t very helpful.