Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

cursedshitbox posted:

Went in yesterday to grab the last parts order (that stupid pump seal) and the counter guy asked me man how old is that bike?
Counterguy#2 chimes in with "Our system doesn't even have his bike"
hey your online system works 90% of the time. *shrug*

What is this poo poo? Does KTM just wipe their database after 3 quarters? gently caress companies that don't support their products. God I hate dealers. Does anyone besides BMW get this right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

AnnoyBot posted:

What is this poo poo? Does KTM just wipe their database after 3 quarters? gently caress companies that don't support their products. God I hate dealers. Does anyone besides BMW get this right?

man i donno what their fuckin' problem is. their online fiche finds my old rear end bike no problem. lotta the parts are superseded cause this bike is so early in production. The baja was the end of the run and still shares a ton of parts with my early bike so it'll be continued for at least another 3-4 years using the 10 year rule. That not withstanding, on this particular job got the bike new intake trumpets and carb mounts to plug the trumpets into. The ITG intake heavily distorted the originals in my forays to get the piece of poo poo to seal. The 990 doesn't use these, and they came direct from Austria. poo poo like the original countershaft drive gear, cannot be had new.

I use the online fiche cause it's up to like 25% off and I can spam big rear end orders without annoying the poo poo out of the counter jockey with 50 part numbers. Their site loving sucks and crashes out way too goddamned easy. However they're less than a mile from my house.

right arm posted:

I personally prefer the baja colorway, but that one is a very very close second

coolest bike goes to the super enduro tho

I've considered some white/baja bodywork to use for bashing up in the dirt. The pearl orange is kinda pretty. The OG bajas were the loyboys of the production lineup, didn't want to pay the premium for late model then have to lift the fucker. It's getting old enough and the paint isn't perfect anyway, my give a gently caress broke and i stripped off all the heavy rear end touring poo poo.

Super enduro is the loving best. I'm pretty tempted to buy one.

Coydog posted:

I don't even care how many problems or maintenance you have to deal with. That is just raddest bodystyle, color/graphics, and general bike ever. Can't get enough of it.

I forget about the hassles with every wheelie and slide. so far i'm averaging a major service +/- annually which eh, fine. I recently bought a newer car so It's days of doing milkruns are no longer required. Stripping the heavy poo poo off means more trackdays, dirt, and rider training. When the spouse wants to dig his AT out and go on a thousand plus mile trip I'll bolt that poo poo back on and go.

I wanted a tall one in orange. That coupled with those graphics sold the bike to the point of a fly n buy sight unseen halfway across the country. (Those graphics are beat and need to be refreshed too)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

AnnoyBot posted:

Harley recently moved to supporting 15yo models at best and there was an uproar, and the aftermarket for them is huge.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
What's with having two fuel tanks? Is it a weight distribution thing?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

What's with having two fuel tanks? Is it a weight distribution thing?

yeah. Lowest point for fuel is around the same height as the crank. 790 kinda ran with the original design but as one tank. There's a glovebox up top where a traditional fuel tank would go, fuses used to live inside there, and the early models don't lock. I've relocated the fusebox because lol bayareans and street parking.

There are ways to use aftermarket parts and turn this bike into a supertanker that's capable of holding ~15gallons/55L fuel. In those photos I've left the upper fairing bolted to the tank so they don't hold as much as they look. they're good for 5.8gallons/22L total.
The crashbars is more time intensive to remove/install than the tanks, and frustrating as all gently caress to deal with. It's on par with pulling fuel tanks from small dualsports.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Got a frame slider kit on my ZX-10. I didn't find many options online, especially no-cut, so went with a Shogun kit that also came with bar ends and swingarm spool sliders, I needed the spool sliders anyway for rear stand maintenance.

They stick out more than I thought they would but I feel better having them. I've never dropped a bike (knocking on the nearest composite particle board surface I can find) but the extra weight on the ZX-10 I'm already noticing in parking lots and such. Now in a slide I don't know how they'd be, it seems to be a dice roll with frame sliders anyway. I wanted to find the more sideways oriented puck-shaped ones I've seen a lot on track bikes, but didn't have any luck.

Also got the massive ugly chonkus stock clutch and brake levers replaced. Why Kawasaki continues to mar up otherwise beautiful bikes with those huge, stiff boat anchors I just can't fathom. Spent extra to get the adjustable and foldable ones this time.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

AnnoyBot posted:

I can still buy NOS parts from the Honda dealership parts counter for my 45-50 year old bikes.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Got a frame slider kit on my ZX-10. I didn't find many options online, especially no-cut, so went with a Shogun kit that also came with bar ends and swingarm spool sliders, I needed the spool sliders anyway for rear stand maintenance.

Man I just checked and the ZX-10 has OEM engine case sliders as an option but no frame sliders. I guess I'm a little surprised.

I picked up OES frame sliders for my 650 but I'm definitely not happy with the near-zero fairing clearance. If the bolt so much as wiggles during a drop the slider will do way more damage than the ground. They're perfect for a Z650 but for fairings it's a little iffy. Going to replace them with Kawasaki OEM this spring.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

On modern sportbikes the fairings are the frame slider, frame sliders as a thing have very questionable utility outside of driveway drops because they typically go on bits of the frame you really don't want wrenching impacts to. I can't remember the last time I saw a race bike with frame sliders, they all just have chunky case savers instead.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I believe that as gospel fact and at any significant speed I fully expect the plastic to shred, but the clearance on these is questionable enough that I'm wondering whether even a driveway drop would have some unintended consequences.

As it is I already laid down a small square of felt where the plastic slider almost contacts the plastic to avoid any friction wear through the clearcoat due to vibration or whatever.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Yeah I was debating whether to go with anything at all, especially given they attach to (and in the case of mine, replace the OEM bolts to) the engine mount (yikes) but I was kinda thinking more tipovers than high speed slides. I'm not going to take mine to a track anytime soon.

What do you think about the lower profile ones like these for lowsides? This is what I was originally thinking of, but the drat things are over $200 and were out of stock when I ordered the other kit: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/graves-diamond-frame-sliders-kawasaki-zx10r-2016-2017

e: they attach like these I believe:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I wanted to find the more sideways oriented puck-shaped ones I've seen a lot on track bikes, but didn't have any luck.

R&G Racing Aero Style are the magic words for these - they're required fitment on BSB race bikes, not to protect the frame but to reduce the chance of the rad breaking and pissing coolant over the track. One thing I would say is that the proper race R&G bobbins are generally very short and probably won't actually protect your plastics in a low-speed drop, because that's not what they're for. They do have longer ones for road fitment but the concern with them is that a drop at any decent speed (especially if a manhole cover or pothole gets involved) is likely to completely gently caress your engine mount and/or frame, so you have to weigh up exactly what you want them for.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

R&G Racing Aero Style are the magic words for these - they're required fitment on BSB race bikes, not to protect the frame but to reduce the chance of the rad breaking and pissing coolant over the track. One thing I would say is that the proper race R&G bobbins are generally very short and probably won't actually protect your plastics in a low-speed drop, because that's not what they're for. They do have longer ones for road fitment but the concern with them is that a drop at any decent speed (especially if a manhole cover or pothole gets involved) is likely to completely gently caress your engine mount and/or frame, so you have to weigh up exactly what you want them for.

Yeah this.

Basically if you have a faired bike there's no way to stop it getting hosed up in a crash, if you're worried about that it's pretty much motard or bust I'm afraid. Or just never crash.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I brought it back home.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Yeah this.

Basically if you have a faired bike there's no way to stop it getting hosed up in a crash, if you're worried about that it's pretty much motard or bust I'm afraid. Or just never crash.

The R&G ones *do* have a deliberate weak point in the bobbin itself that is supposed to mean it breaks off before imparting enough force on the bolt to damage the mount, but it's still a crap shoot.

One thing I will say they're good for (along with clutch/generator/water pump covers if appropriate) is leaving you with a bike that's at least ride-home-able if you have a single-bike crash at moderate speed that would otherwise leave you stranded, so they're not useless. Depending on the exact layout of your bike may also help save expensive, difficult-to-replace stuff like your fuel tank and radiator in a low-speed crash. Plus they do look pretty loving rad, at least to my NINETIES KID eyes.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

ElMaligno posted:

I brought it back home.

Did the moustache come with the bike?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

The motorcycle is just a mere accessory for my mighty mustache

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

ElMaligno posted:

The motorcycle is just a mere accessory for my mighty mustache

mustache rides indeed.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I think you'll find moustaches and BMW's are both just dad accessories.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Slavvy posted:

I think you'll find moustaches and BMW's are both just dad accessories.

beleive it or nor my then GF and now wife liked the mustache

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I mean yeah how else do you become a dad?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Slavvy posted:

I mean yeah how else do you become a dad?

She came included with 3 kids, hell the youngest just turned 18. 10/10 would recommend

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Added a £5 mudflap to the front fender:

Hopefully now when I clean all the gravel out of the cooling fins it'll actually stay gone.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

If you want to lock your bike to something as you think it might be stolen otherwise, using that cable lock shown in your picture is zero deterrent.

I had a bicycle stolen locked with a similar cable lock last week in Glasgow, the wee scrotes who stole it, according to the police who recovered the bike, carry around snips they can fit in their pockets. Use a proper 12mm+ chain at least.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Steakandchips posted:

If you want to lock your bike to something as you think it might be stolen otherwise, using that cable lock shown in your picture is zero deterrent.

I had a bicycle stolen locked with a similar cable lock last week in Glasgow, the wee scrotes who stole it, according to the police who recovered the bike, carry around snips they can fit in their pockets. Use a proper 12mm+ chain at least.

Yeah I'm pretty sure that there are bike thieves who could just bite through that.

e: As it doesn't even go through the wheel anyone with a spanner can just detach that anchor point and wheel the bike off.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Ha, I knew somebody would comment on the cable.

I can literally see my bike from my desk, both through a window and on security cameras, if the cable adds even a few seconds to the amount of time it takes to steal, that's enough for me to get up and get outside to shut the car park gates. I also keep a cover on it when I'm not taking photos for internet people.

I do have a mammoth chain with a good shackle on it, but I keep that at home for when I want to go other places because otherwise I'd forget it at work constantly.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Get another chain to leave at work permanently! That's what I've done. https://securityforbikes.com/ are excellent, btw.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Ha, I knew somebody would comment on the cable.

I can literally see my bike from my desk, both through a window and on security cameras, if the cable adds even a few seconds to the amount of time it takes to steal, that's enough for me to get up and get outside to shut the car park gates. I also keep a cover on it when I'm not taking photos for internet people.

I do have a mammoth chain with a good shackle on it, but I keep that at home for when I want to go other places because otherwise I'd forget it at work constantly.

IMO, cover is the single best anti-theft deterrent out there. I would personally much rather have a cover than a lock (although both is better). Plus, a cover takes a lot longer to get off than a chain does to snip through.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Replaced a blinker housing on the 125 that was hanging off by the cables.

Also replaced the chain oil tank on the 800, which went way quicker than putting the first one on. I took the opportunity to inspect the old one to see what happened, and it looks like the seal around one of the viewing windows just popped off:

(it was still partially attached, I cracked it off the rest of the way). Should be fixable with some epoxy, but also... why is it made like this? They could have made it much more robust, practically indestructible even, by having a one-piece tank. Hell, I could probably rig up a perfectly fine replacement out of a water bottle and some hose. Or just like, a zip lock bag in a bucket. This solution is both needlessly complex and also kind of flimsy.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

did an oil change and a countershaft sprocket + chain swap

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Found an oil leak in my WR today after it's been sitting on a stand for a few months. The skid plate was trapping a bit and there was a small puddle on the stand. It's on the right side of the engine where my filter is. I cleaned the engine off really well in hopes of tracking it down. Parked it on cardboard. I'll probably run it for a bit tomorrow when I've got more time to see if I can figure it out.

Realizing I need a power washer and or possibly an ultrasonic parts cleaner. A nice garage would help too.

In cleaning the engine I removed the exhaust header pipe for more room and found the copper gasket/washer between the pipe and the engine has dissolved quite a bit.

I also tried to address my floppy kick starter with no avail. It's just too worn out and the only fix is a new one.

Cherry on top is finding out one of my coworkers who knowingly came in sick with a fever two weeks ago has Corona virus. So that's a thing.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

changed the only thing besides Bold New Graphics between MY 2018 and 2020 :D

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

What am I looking at here? Rebound / compression adjuster?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

My money's on an adjustable windscreen mechanism

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

FBS posted:

My money's on an adjustable windscreen mechanism

bingo

I always keep the screen all the way down, except when it’s like 20° out and I don’t want air on my neck. these just finally came in stock at RMATV after being back ordered forever. just in time for 60° weather lol

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
One of the handlebar risers on my beater Nighthawk has always been a bit loose, giving the bar a little more wiggle than it should have. I changed out the rubber cushions in it last year but no joy.

The bike was crashed at least once before I bought it so I thought maybe the post stretched then, or it had rounded out the hole in the upper triple or something.

I finally decided to fix this once and for all so I found someone selling an upper triple + risers for $20, bought it and started swapping parts from easiest to hardest. Turns out that swapping the riser and its hardware fixed it. Looking at the post it doesn’t seem stretched, but the nut on it bottoms out (by design) and maybe the threads in that nut were giving way. Or maybe it was always out of spec, Honda built these bikes cheap.

In the end it’s fixed and holding a turn feels a lot more solid.

Edit: riser probably isn’t the right word. Whatever it is that attaches bars to the triple tree. Handlebar clamp?

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Bonus post: I repainted my ignition lettering and popped the scratched-up Honda logo out, sanded it up nice and shiny, clear coated and glued it back on. It’s the little things like this that I notice every ride.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ulf posted:

Bonus post: I repainted my ignition lettering and popped the scratched-up Honda logo out, sanded it up nice and shiny, clear coated and glued it back on. It’s the little things like this that I notice every ride.

The bike can do liposuction? Honda really do think of everything, don't they?

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
I keep trying to turn it to “Lipo” but it won’t go. Just like the transmission won’t shift into 6th. Told you it was a beater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ulf posted:

One of the handlebar risers on my beater Nighthawk has always been a bit loose, giving the bar a little more wiggle than it should have. I changed out the rubber cushions in it last year but no joy.

The bike was crashed at least once before I bought it so I thought maybe the post stretched then, or it had rounded out the hole in the upper triple or something.

I finally decided to fix this once and for all so I found someone selling an upper triple + risers for $20, bought it and started swapping parts from easiest to hardest. Turns out that swapping the riser and its hardware fixed it. Looking at the post it doesn’t seem stretched, but the nut on it bottoms out (by design) and maybe the threads in that nut were giving way. Or maybe it was always out of spec, Honda built these bikes cheap.

In the end it’s fixed and holding a turn feels a lot more solid.

Edit: riser probably isn’t the right word. Whatever it is that attaches bars to the triple tree. Handlebar clamp?

Lol nah. It's a PO what dunnit, when he crashed it. Honda's cheap poo poo is everyone else's good day's work.