Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Does anyone have any thoughts as to what to give a Beast with the Mammalian choice in a game vs. the Overlord? They get Protection, which only applies in a game with the Horizon, and Protection usually replaces a weakness for the Overlord. Would they then instead get access to a weakness?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what to give a Beast with the Mammalian choice in a game vs. the Overlord? They get Protection, which only applies in a game with the Horizon, and Protection usually replaces a weakness for the Overlord. Would they then instead get access to a weakness?

If I remember right, characters who get Protection can choose an Overlord Stat that doesn't apply to them. Like they can touch a ghost, or aren't immediately destroyed by a juggernaut.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Oh, that makes sense. Thanks!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
So, Fellowship in Rebellion can handle Noelle's She-Ra, yeah?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Was looking through the Fellowship in Rebellion content available to backers, and I noticed that the playbooks pdf has a tinyurl link for the character sheets, which is neat because I was thinking about making use of them in a thing with friends. However, the link doesn't actually work. And also if you click it it actually takes you to a tinyurl for Inverse World stuff, but that one doesn't work either. I assume the latter thing is unintended, at least, but are the actual character sheets meant to be available yet or is the link there something that's planned to be used but not yet ready?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Roland Jones posted:

Was looking through the Fellowship in Rebellion content available to backers, and I noticed that the playbooks pdf has a tinyurl link for the character sheets, which is neat because I was thinking about making use of them in a thing with friends. However, the link doesn't actually work. And also if you click it it actually takes you to a tinyurl for Inverse World stuff, but that one doesn't work either. I assume the latter thing is unintended, at least, but are the actual character sheets meant to be available yet or is the link there something that's planned to be used but not yet ready?

That last thing - it is a planned thing that I didn't set up yet. I really should have the IW one set up already, though, that one I just forgot to do. There's a lot of things to keep track of when you publish an expansion book. I'll go get that set up later tonight or tomorrow, its been a busy day for me.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Book 3 is coming out soon, and as I am finishing stuff up, I am posting previews of some of it to twitter. Latest preview: The new and improved Horde.

https://twitter.com/Veliministriari/status/1225555043937660929

https://twitter.com/Veliministriari/status/1225555373878398976

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

gnome7 posted:

Book 3 is coming out soon, and as I am finishing stuff up, I am posting previews of some of it to twitter. Latest preview: The new and improved Horde.

https://twitter.com/Veliministriari/status/1225555043937660929

https://twitter.com/Veliministriari/status/1225555373878398976

That's a super-cool idea! I was kind of throwing around using Overlord Stats to beef up the Horde in my planning, but this seems like a better way to do that without making them too... over-bearing, I guess?

Any ETA on Book 3's release, or just 'soon'?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Before the end of February. I don't have an exact date because I am waiting on a couple things, but really soon.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Book 3 is now available in PDF.

https://twitter.com/Veliministriari/status/1228729644725231618

It is currently in the print proofing process, I'll have it up on DTRPG when I can.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Congrats on getting book 3 finished and released, that's a huge accomplishment!

I just downloaded my copy and am excited to give it a once-over! Crazy timing too because I just wrangled some coworkers to start a Fellowship game on the 25th - it'll be the first non-D&D game for all of them, except for one, for who it will be the first non-Exalted game(?????) so it should be fun getting to show them another side of the hobby. Even just explaining how Spout Lore worked was enough to get one person from "oof, sorry all, RPGs are fun and all but I'm kinda busy...", to "that's cool I'm in".

I haven't really had a chance to look through the Inverse rules yet, are there any specific rules governing using Playbooks from each of the different campaign settings together? I see that there's a "banned playbooks" note for the Empire, but a lot of the books tend to mention that setting's specific adversary and I wasn't sure how well it worked to just cross out "Empire" and scribble in "Overlord" for the Nemesis or what have you. Or just general advice if not concrete rules.

It's entirely possible this is already in the books and I just haven't seen it yet and if so, my bad!

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I mention it in a few places, but yes you can use any fellowship playbook with any framework. The banned playbooks are all Destinies - The End of Days and The Ascended need the Overlord, the Hot Shot needs the Ship, and you can't use the Rebellion against the Horizon (can't rebel when there is nothing to rebel against). Just substitute Overlord, Empire, or Horizon for whichever framework you're actually up against. You can even use the Nemesis with any framework - they're built around serving the Empire, but can also serve the Overlord or be an antagonistic rival in the Horizon.

You can find official rules on this in the Introduction and Character Creation sections of book 2 and 3. It is perfectly cool to have a fellowship with an Elf, an Angel, and a Dragon, and this will not cause any problems.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Congrats on finishing another book! I also read the update on book 4, it sounds like that'll make it super useful to have but also gigantic.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
I'm really excited to see what threats everyone else came up with for book 4, not to mention the backer set pieces!

As for In Rebellion, I was reading through the new and improved Dragon playbook when I noticed something odd. The Fire and Ice custom move lets you add Lightning, Ice, or Poison alongside your Fire ranged weapon, but I'm not really sure what the difference between Ice and Poison is. Poison is necrotic, so any enemies hurt by it are in despair and cannot try to harm the fellowship. Ice inflicts the Drunk tag on anything it hits, which...uh, may or may not work exactly like necrotic? Normally Drunk would make the player roll with despair for their next roll, but enemies don't roll and can't harm you while in despair, so I have no idea how long Drunk would last. However, necrotic lasts until it's healed, so it feels like in most cases Poison is better than ice?

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
I just looked over the survey posted for book 4 and realized my threat may be a little too vague. Is this an acceptable threat, or should I add more detail?

quote:

The Support Unit: This machine links up with other threats, making them more dangerous in a variety of ways.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I’m also curious how drunk applies to NPC‘s.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Agent Rush posted:

I just looked over the survey posted for book 4 and realized my threat may be a little too vague. Is this an acceptable threat, or should I add more detail?

That's fine, I can work with that.

Astus posted:

I'm really excited to see what threats everyone else came up with for book 4, not to mention the backer set pieces!

As for In Rebellion, I was reading through the new and improved Dragon playbook when I noticed something odd. The Fire and Ice custom move lets you add Lightning, Ice, or Poison alongside your Fire ranged weapon, but I'm not really sure what the difference between Ice and Poison is. Poison is necrotic, so any enemies hurt by it are in despair and cannot try to harm the fellowship. Ice inflicts the Drunk tag on anything it hits, which...uh, may or may not work exactly like necrotic? Normally Drunk would make the player roll with despair for their next roll, but enemies don't roll and can't harm you while in despair, so I have no idea how long Drunk would last. However, necrotic lasts until it's healed, so it feels like in most cases Poison is better than ice?

Golden Bee posted:

I’m also curious how drunk applies to NPC‘s.

Hmm. This was the result of me going "I dont want to make a freeze tag for literally one move in the entire game so lets re-use something" but I didn't think through how drunk and necrotic do basically the same thing.

The intention is the freezing tag temporarily immobilizes or disables them, and drunk is Stronger Despair, so I figured that would be fine. But you're right, there is no meaningful difference there. Necrotic is better because it lingers while Drunk does not.

I'd recommend giving Hope to anyone acting against the Drunk threats. Its easy to defeat frost-bitten foes who move slowly, and that gives it a meaningful difference to the poison. Poison is still mostly better, but this adjustment to frost lets you pile on against more dangerous things that don't get Despair.

EDIT: I have now fixed this in the book. Icing foes gives you Hope to Finish Them, Keep Them Busy, or Get Away from them.

gnome7 fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 14, 2020

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
I'm not sure if this is the thread to ask, but I remember seeing gnome7 make some tweet threads about game design but can't find them now. One of them was about how +2 modifiers are boring, if anyone else knows what I'm talking about?

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Agent Rush posted:

I'm not sure if this is the thread to ask, but I remember seeing gnome7 make some tweet threads about game design but can't find them now. One of them was about how +2 modifiers are boring, if anyone else knows what I'm talking about?

Funnily enough, this literally just came up in the chat thread: https://twitter.com/Veliministriari/status/1145957463914663936?s=20

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

GimpInBlack posted:

Funnily enough, this literally just came up in the chat thread: https://twitter.com/Veliministriari/status/1145957463914663936?s=20

Yeah, I had asked about it in both threads just in case gnome7 wanted this one to stay focused on her games. Thank you!

I think another one was about how the various playbooks in Fellowship can be "the evil one" if played that way?

Agent Rush fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 5, 2021

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

While we're raiding Gnome's Twitter for content, he posted a set piece for book 4 that looks really neat- https://twitter.com/Veliministriari/status/1235346311454568449?s=19

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Hey folks, announcement time! I'm prepping up to launch a new tabletop game kickstarter next month, Skull Diggers. I will happily answer any questions you have about it at this time.

https://twitter.com/Veliministriari/status/1243949674911932417

https://twitter.com/Veliministriari/status/1243951017257046017

https://twitter.com/Veliministriari/status/1243957469971451904

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

That looks great, I'm really excited!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Would love to see the next version.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I think i'm gonna start a Panic at the Dojo game on roll20. I'm a little worried my players will be absolutely staggered by the amount of character options, but I can't wait to see what they come up with.

Anyone tried this on roll20 before?

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Ignite Memories posted:

I think i'm gonna start a Panic at the Dojo game on roll20. I'm a little worried my players will be absolutely staggered by the amount of character options, but I can't wait to see what they come up with.

Yeah I have. The main issue will be tracking who goes and what's on who, but you can just use a Discord channel or a google doc where everyone can edit it, so it's not that much of a detriment, it's just an extra step. And for the actual handling of combat you'll want to use Discord voice chat, or really, any voice chat at all. It speeds things up a lot.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Ignite Memories posted:

What days are you thinking? I’ve always wanted to play it!

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

NachtSieger posted:

Yeah I have. The main issue will be tracking who goes and what's on who, but you can just use a Discord channel or a google doc where everyone can edit it, so it's not that much of a detriment, it's just an extra step. And for the actual handling of combat you'll want to use Discord voice chat, or really, any voice chat at all. It speeds things up a lot.

I was thinking i might make extra 'initiative track' tokens for each character that they'd be able to put on whatever track i draw when it's their turn.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

After kickstarting the original Fellowship all those years ago, I finally got the opportunity to run a session.

It uh, didn't go well.

In our world building the world had been previously "saved" from an all-consuming cloud monster by the Overlord. They lifted the very continents until they were floating, and 500 years later, life had gone on. But the Overlord, unable to die and forlorn with their failure at stopping the threat (merely delaying it), has been seeking more and more power to try and re-write their wrongdoings. That power has begun corrupting the earth wherever they go.

We had:

A giant: Giants were born at the birth of the universe, and live in 'the space between spaces'. The youngest giant is the only one to concern himself with other races (rather than watching), and has urged to stop the Overlord to save the land.

A spider- From a fascist society who live underground (below the cloud monster itself, so very few around).
A construct- A typical robot butler used by the horrible spider people, made of ancient technology.
An orc- Rugged individuals whose kind only band together when it proves profitable. Hate to be called a group (and hates to be part of 'a party').

So, that leaves 3 of the 4 players' People living in a drastically different place to the rest of the campaign. They don't feel like a cohesive group, either (and I'm never a fan of murder hobos).

As a result, our first session felt really disparate, and I'm not sure where to go from here. The Overlord has an army of people who worship her as a hero, but are squeezing the land and its peoples, whilst she carelessly searches for more power. As a result, she doesn't feel like a threat. I intended in later sessions to challenge the lands of the players' People, but that feels like half the campaign is set in a drastically different place to the rest of it.

I'm thinking, now we know the system, we restart.

How would you recommend beginning World and character generation? Should I have a very brief tone for the world already set, and an Overlord already created?

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Having a basic idea for both the world and the Overlord that you present to the players before they start making up their characters and people is better than just starting with a blank canvas in my experience.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

It sounds like you had a great idea with the wrong Framework; Fellowship in Rebellion has the Empire instead of the Overlord which sounds more like what you were going for. The Overlord is meant to be on the offensive: attacking, overwhelming, or converting communities that are dear to the Fellowship.

I find it's best to come to the first session with a bit of reference; I usually go with a map for my players to draw all over and an index card for them to Command Lore on. Starting from scratch can go well if you have a solid thematic reference but otherwise it'll go pear-shaped very easily.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Having people travel around the world in meeting their communities is a core part of the game. Make sure the player characters societies have something the overlord wants in there you’ll have your adventure.

But agreed, it sounds like you have the empire instead of the overlord.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
No one in your party sounds particularly heroic and that's a core part of the game, it's literally one of the rules. There's wiggle room for what that means but you might need to be more firm that the Fellowship are heroes and that not everyone should be from an isolated community who only begrudgingly is trying to save the world.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Thank you for the advice guys , really appreciated :)

We're going to start again with something a bit more lighthearted (and with basic playbooks).

In our character gen session, I'll try and set the tone. The Overlord is a jerky wizard from another dimension who wants to flood the world so that he can turn it into his private holiday home, complete with some elemental Titans who can terraform the land.

I've got a map that can be edited, and we'll look to set up borders. I'll push for some more heroic characters too!

The book suggests that the party have been together for a while (rather than meeting in session one). Last time we tried I askedn for how they came together, but with the nature of the characters it was a bit..blank.

I might ask instead to tell of the first act of heroism they did together. Who did they save? etc.

Skeletome fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Mar 30, 2020

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Integrating new characters is often a lot of fun. We had an orc join last week who was giving a guest lecture in hell-of-wrath. (Our heir is a prince of hell.) previously, we had an Angel join who is one of the characters guardian angel. No more explanation asked for or given.
I think the werewolf owed someone a favor and the prince joined because he was at the Embassy of hell in lizard city. That’s how the whole bureaucracy of hell started becoming part of the game.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Ignite Memories posted:

I was thinking i might make extra 'initiative track' tokens for each character that they'd be able to put on whatever track i draw when it's their turn.

Yo, that's a really good idea and I'm laughing that I didn't consider it at all. You could even set up separate tokens for the various tokens you can get and just require people to move the entire row of tokens.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

I've downloaded 2E from DTRPG but the basic playbooks aren't form fillable (the powerful ones seem to be). Are there any available?

Happy to just use Roll20 but it's nice having all the moves available to you on one sheet.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
The person I hired to make the form-fillable versions of the PDFs never came through with making any of the second edition ones. I should probably sit down and learn how to do that myself at some point.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Skeletome posted:

In our character gen session, I'll try and set the tone. The Overlord is a jerky wizard from another dimension who wants to flood the world so that he can turn it into his private holiday home, complete with some elemental Titans who can terraform the land.

I think you're on the right path with the rest of this, but I just wanna say that I love this idea so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I'd say the number one biggest issues I've had with both Fellowship and another PBTA in Masks, is that both rely on the players wanting to Do Good And Be Heroic, where everyone I've ever introduced to them seem to be obsessed with being the edgy one.

Fellowship especially just does not work as well if multiple people want to be the edgy anti-hero. But for some reason a lot of people seem to think being a Heroic Hero is lame.