Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Raspberry Bang posted:

This one nags me every once in awhile:

There was a pop 80’s music compilation which had a commercial that ran A LOT back in the late 90’s. The name of the compilation is not important but what is important to me is that during the commercial there was this PERFECT transition from this one song into “Tainted Love”. For the life of me I can’t think of what that song could be and it occasionally bugs the poo poo out of me.

:respek: I thought it was just me. I probably haven't seen that commercial in 20 years (until it was just posted) and I still think sometimes about how perfectly Der Komissar transitioned into Tainted Love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Weaponized Autism posted:

X-Posting from NMD:

Back in the 90s DJ Venom released an album called Venom's Birthday Bash. Yes it was cheesy and dumb but I have a nostalgia for it. It contained techno remixes of theme songs along with other mixes. There was a song on there called "Suck My Motherfuckin Dick" and a remix of the Inspector Gadget theme song. Can't find it anywhere for download or purchase, and can't find it on Soulseek. Anyone know what I'm talking about and can help me find this album? It was ridiculous.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but...it's on SoulSeek

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
I can get SOME of the individual songs, but I'm looking for the Birthday Bash album in its entirety.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

I can get SOME of the individual songs, but I'm looking for the Birthday Bash album in its entirety.

SoulSeek depends on other users to get files, so you sometimes need to sign onto it at different times and days of the week to find stuff you otherwise might not.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

SoulSeek depends on other users to get files, so you sometimes need to sign onto it at different times and days of the week to find stuff you otherwise might not.

i've definitely had vastly different results based on when i've done a search. I think there's settings where you can tell it to automate searches and maybe even downloads?

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Slore Tactician posted:

I’m looking for the recording of 700 hobo names. You know the one.

Jonathan Coulton ft. John Hodgman. I remember it from some NPR podcast.

Link to song here:

https://wiki.jonathancoulton.com/Big_Rock_Candy_Mountain

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Slore Tactician posted:

CATS but instead it's a musical about hobos

A hobo's name/ is a very private thing
Kept close to their hearts/ unknown to their kin
With surnames like Stinkfoot, Tramperton and Ol Joe Maclunky /
Designed to confuse, confound and sound funky

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
It’s its own CD in the “areas of my expertise” audiobook, if that helps.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
This thread worked great for me last time, so I'll try again.

There was a Chinese pop band called "New Pants". Three dudes. They had a song that may have been called California, or may have just involved them going "ooooooh, California" repeatedly at the start of the song. It was definitely on YouTube when I saw it, you know, ten years ago or whatever.

I can't find that song because, as you'd expect, with a band named New Pants, it's hard to Google. And I'm not actually that great at Googling things.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

DACK FAYDEN posted:

This thread worked great for me last time, so I'll try again.

There was a Chinese pop band called "New Pants". Three dudes. They had a song that may have been called California, or may have just involved them going "ooooooh, California" repeatedly at the start of the song. It was definitely on YouTube when I saw it, you know, ten years ago or whatever.

I can't find that song because, as you'd expect, with a band named New Pants, it's hard to Google. And I'm not actually that great at Googling things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgPLrldxAAc

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Never mind, beaten by a minute.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

the weed that smells like a dead skunk on the side of the road when you're driving up north to go camping with your mom and dad.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Yessssss this is exactly it thank you so much

(Also thank you following poster who was just barely too slow)

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Hell Yeah posted:

the weed that smells like a dead skunk on the side of the road when you're driving up north to go camping with your mom and dad.

Skunk cabbage, Lysochiton spp.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skunk_cabbage

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Slore Tactician posted:

Now I have to know this

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Hell Yeah posted:

Do you mean the weed you smoke or the weed you smell wandering around the woods?

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Milo and POTUS posted:

Now I have to know this

axolotl farmer posted:

Jonathan Coulton ft. John Hodgman. I remember it from some NPR podcast.

Link to song here:

https://wiki.jonathancoulton.com/Big_Rock_Candy_Mountain

Quite the list in there!
e: 188. Ol' Stiff Pants

DeadMansSuspenders fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 17, 2020

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Late 90's - mid 200's TV show. It didn't run that long, but it ran somewhere in there.

It follows a young guitarist/singer and who i remember to be his manager? Maybe agent? Record label rep? No idea. But I'm remembering the young guitarist to be John Mayer, and that's totally wrong. Pretty sure it was on Network television, and isn't Vinyl, Instant Star, or I'm With the Band. I can picture the manager actor, but he's b or c-list so hard to find. Dark hair, kind of a everyman/straight character who always does the same thing and was always in stuff but never mega famous.

Any ideas?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

DACK FAYDEN posted:

By the way, the way I found this was by googling '"New Pants" band', finding a youtube video of the band, using the 'related videos' list to find a youtube channel that had a lot of the band's songs and then randomly clicking them and listening to the first 30 seconds of each video until I found the one you were looking for.

The quotation marks around "New Pants" in the google search is the crucial step, that ensures that you only get hits with the exact phrase "New Pants" instead of 5000 random pages which just happen to feature the words 'new' and 'pants' somewhere

MachineryNoise
Jan 13, 2008

So I shout "Set your life on fire!"

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Late 90's - mid 200's TV show. It didn't run that long, but it ran somewhere in there.

It follows a young guitarist/singer and who i remember to be his manager? Maybe agent? Record label rep? No idea. But I'm remembering the young guitarist to be John Mayer, and that's totally wrong. Pretty sure it was on Network television, and isn't Vinyl, Instant Star, or I'm With the Band. I can picture the manager actor, but he's b or c-list so hard to find. Dark hair, kind of a everyman/straight character who always does the same thing and was always in stuff but never mega famous.

Any ideas?

The Chris Isaak Show?

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

MachineryNoise posted:

The Chris Isaak Show?

I actually found it via a list of dark haired actors including Justin Long, then to the show Ed, then to Tom Cavanagh, who starred in Love Monkey. Now to dig to see if John Mayer was ever in it.

curlingiron
Dec 15, 2006

b l o o p

This is a slightly different kind of request, but I have been trying to figure out the ...background lyrics, I guess you would call them, sung along with the last chorus of this song forever. I can make out “Something inside you is” and then I can make a guess at a few more words, and I think it ends with “then we will find you,” but there’s a huge chunk in the middle that I cannot decipher. Every time I look up the lyrics it doesn’t include that part, and I’m not technically savvy enough to try and manipulate the song itself.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Section in question starts at 2:54 for anyone who risks being turned off the hunt by impaitence.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

curlingiron posted:

This is a slightly different kind of request, but I have been trying to figure out the ...background lyrics, I guess you would call them, sung along with the last chorus of this song forever. I can make out “Something inside you is” and then I can make a guess at a few more words, and I think it ends with “then we will find you,” but there’s a huge chunk in the middle that I cannot decipher. Every time I look up the lyrics it doesn’t include that part, and I’m not technically savvy enough to try and manipulate the song itself.

:whatup: very pleasantly surprised to see Grand Buffet posted

I've listened to this song a ton and never tried to decipher that part for some reason. Best I can do is: something inside you is telling you try to break free of all that binds you and only then we can find you

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

what the hell i dont want no drat cabbage.

Doctor Eckhart
Dec 23, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Bold Robot posted:

:whatup: very pleasantly surprised to see Grand Buffet posted

I've listened to this song a ton and never tried to decipher that part for some reason. Best I can do is: something inside you is telling you try to break free of all that binds you and only then we can find you

Yeah I'd agree with those background lyrics. They are kinda quiet, layered and repeated on top of themselves, a bit like Courtney Taylor-Taylor's vocals which is what I was expecting from the description. Interesting, I don't think I've come across a song before that uses this technique where the layered lyrics aren't clearly audible elsewhere in the song.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

curlingiron posted:

Considering they're on bandcamp, why not try emailing the artist and seeing if they'll give you a lyrics sheet?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
'roni related sorta: a little while back (last few years) there was a very informative doc on mainstream UK TV (probably the BBC) about whvt happens when a virus invades a cell.

It was presented in a slightly overdramatic way, british narrator had a Bill Nighy type voice (might even have been him but there's nothing on his IMDB), main attraction though was it went down to the molecular level and many of the visuals were blob-per-atom CG animations of the virus making it's way through the body/cell. Hard to search for virus documentaries right now but it was super interesting and informative and I'd like to watch it again

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Blue Moonlight posted:

In the early-to-mid-90s, I remember seeing part of something on TV that scared me. It was a TV show or movie, and there was something like a ghost trying to escape from being sealed inside a cistern or water tank. It banged on the metal door of it. Later on, it succeeded, and it killed someone it possessed by basically forcing them to get hit by a subway train.

It was at my grandparents, so it likely would have aired on broadcast television (or maybe cable, but nothing exotic like HBO).

The weird thing is, years later, I think I saw part of it again in a segment of a show that was discussing TV pilots that ended up being aired as telemovies instead of going to series.

I’ve posted about it before in other “lost things” threads, but no luck so far.

I finally solved this one! I decided I was going about it backwards, and decided to find the TV pilots show instead. After some searches about TV pilots aired as movies, I eventually came to Lee Goldberg’s “The Best TV Shows That Never Were,” a book that was later packaged as a one-hour TV special (viewable here).

Midway through, they had a segment on the horror/thriller genre. And what’s there? A spirit possessing people and a guy ending up getting thrown in front of a subway car.

It turns out I saw the 1995 NBC single airing of a pilot-turned-telemovie for The Omen. It’s easy to see why nobody would make the connection, since it literally has nothing to do with the film The Omen.

You can check it out here if you’re interested in watching a potato-quality encode of a bad 90s show.

Turns out my recollection was a little hazy, but pretty close. The ghost was trapped in a missile silo, not a cistern, and the ghost didn’t possess someone onto the subway tracks, but rather the hero pushed a ghost-possessed person onto the tracks where they were then electrocuted and hit by the train (the ghost got away, of course).

guitartorch
Jan 4, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
How about some ?NRA commercial from the 90s that was like a giant junkyard full of broken guns apparently showing repossessed guns in britain or australia or something and three this big magnet type machine lifting all these broken guns and the narrator saying "it can happen here!

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

guitartorch posted:

How about some ?NRA commercial from the 90s that was like a giant junkyard full of broken guns apparently showing repossessed guns in britain or australia or something and three this big magnet type machine lifting all these broken guns and the narrator saying "it can happen here!

Searching NRA, Australia, and "can happen here" turned this up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMiNHt13WRw

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
What a crazy ad. I bet they obtained the footage by... asking for a copy from the government's press agency

Looong shot but I've got a earworm I can only remember the rhythm of, and I don't even have a mic to record that. I think it's a rhyme or tongue twister or something? I don't think there's a tune. In syllables it's something like, a fast but constant pace, where double fits two beats into it...

Double double one double one one double
Double double one - double one

Alternate version in case I say those weirdly...
carrot turnip peas lettuce milk pear apple
orange parsnip grape - mango bean

Doctor Eckhart
Dec 23, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

uvar posted:

Looong shot but I've got a earworm I can only remember the rhythm of, and I don't even have a mic to record that. I think it's a rhyme or tongue twister or something? I

[quote="uvar" post="503589094"]
What a crazy ad. I bet they obtained the footage by... asking for a copy from the government's press agency

Looong shot but I've got a earworm I can only remember the rhythm of, and I don't even have a mic to record that. I think it's a rhyme or tongue twister or something? I don't think there's a tune. In syllables it's something like, a fast but constant pace, where double fits two beats into it...

I doubt this is exactly what you’re looking for but maybe there are variations? I remember it as a clapping/patty-cake song from when I was a kid. And I don’t think our version was exactly the same as this.

https://youtu.be/cckK5e2Hj6M

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

uvar posted:

It's reminding me of a TV ad jingle were they work the phone number into the song

There was an Australian ad where the last line was "seven seven oh seven oh!" (or similar) which seems to fit the meter but I can't remember which company it was for

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's reminding me of a TV ad jingle were they work the phone number into the song

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ab8GtuPdrUQ

(I know it's not Australian, but you triggered this for me)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
An amusement ride attraction from when I was a kid. I think little battleships floating on water would traverse a pool and another "side" would shoot at them with little cannons from land. They could shoot at each other. I think they were shooting tennis balls?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

An amusement ride attraction from when I was a kid. I think little battleships floating on water would traverse a pool and another "side" would shoot at them with little cannons from land. They could shoot at each other. I think they were shooting tennis balls?

Battle Boats! I think they had those at Boardwalk and Baseball in Florida when I was a kid. They made them with water cannons too.

edit:
Think it may have actually been called Boat Tag.

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Mar 26, 2020

guitartorch
Jan 4, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Yond Cassius posted:

Searching NRA, Australia, and "can happen here" turned this up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMiNHt13WRw

bless you op. this is the second win from the thread.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Solice Kirsk posted:

Battle Boats! I think they had those at Boardwalk and Baseball in Florida when I was a kid. They made them with water cannons too.

edit:
Think it may have actually been called Boat Tag.

Omg you're a saint and it's boat tag

Now to ask... where the gently caress did I see it. I could have swore it was 6FOG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
There was this toy I had as a kid. The toy itself was small, but portrayed some kind of giant tank thats armor split open to reveal something kinda like an aircraft carrier flight-deck. this "deck" then could spring up on little lever things. I think it was colored green camo.