Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Stultus Maximus posted:

How is this supposed to help people?

You see, if we protect the stock market....profit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

This guy nails it.

https://twitter.com/JIMrichards1010/status/1239140710558969857

I've been yelling it at my employer over the past week and it seems they've finally listened to everyone telling them to stop dragging rear end. They sent out an email a few hours ago finally telling everyone to stay the gently caress home till April.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I imagine we're in for a precipitous market drop if when the body count starts exploding that will make the recent sell-off look like a hiccup.

Bernie needs to talk about stimulus efforts now to get ahead of things and look prescient when things swan dive.

Hope I still have a job this time next year.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

bloops posted:

Well. Airports have to be next.

Isnt that interstate commerce requiring the fed to step in? We are still adhering to the Italian reaction it looks like so I'm looking for localities to shut down with carriers fleeing.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Stultus Maximus posted:

Only helps the "right" people and the rest of us get to languish while the value of the dollar slowly goes Zimbabwe.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1239290389963714562.html

quote:

I’ve been in touch with an intensivist at a Seattle hospital with one of the highest numbers of COVID-19 admissions in the US.

They’ve been too exhausted to post much themselves, so I am conveying some of what I’ve been told, which is… eye-opening. To say the least. /1
The Seattle situation isn’t quite at Lombardy levels yet… but it’s getting there.

First of all regarding the clinicians. None are sleeping more than a couple hrs a night. Everyone is utterly exhausted. My colleague has seen so many people die as to have become totally numb. /2
It’s also nearing Status Lombardosus with regard to resources. They haven’t run out of ventilators (yet), but every single ICU bed in Seattle metro is full. And the onslaught shows no signs of stopping. They’ve run out of other things as well. /3
My colleague saw a patient who had a half-full syringe left attached to her IV line. The syringe had an antibiotic. First thought was that this was some gross nursing error.

It turned out not to be a mistake at all, but rather an accomodation to dire circumstances. /4
It was a drug that was supposed to be infused over hours. But there were no IV pumps available. So the nurse had given some of it, left the syringe attached, and planned to come by to give more a little later, and then finish it.

Here in the wealthiest country in the world. /5
They are also at the point of having to ration some kinds of care. For the most severely ill patients, there’s a machine called ECMO — extracorporeal membrane oxygenation — which is basically like an external lung that oxygenates blood when the patient’s lungs won’t work. /6
Seattle has 12 machines, which is less than what’s needed. So a central committee there is deciding: you can’t go on ECMO if you're >40 yrs old, if you have another organ system failing, or… incredibly… if your BMI is>25. Turns out these are all major poor prognostic signs. /7
(Note: that doesn’t mean that anybody with a BMI >25 is in trouble if they get COVID. Just that if you’re critically ill from it, that is apparently a poor prognostic marker. Not sure anybody has a clear idea why.) /8
Meanwhile the combo of exhausted health care workers & no open ICU beds has made a very hazardous health situation for the entire region. If you have a stroke, a heart attack, etc., it will be hard to get the best care. There are patients in ERs for hours waiting for ICU beds. /9
My colleague told me something else remarkable: COVID patients are not dying of lung disease.

This seems to be a very distinct syndrome, and in severe cases the pneumonia leads to ARDS, a condition in which the lungs leak fluid & the patient can’t breathe w/out a ventilator. /10
But apparently the ARDS is not too severe, and they can manage people through that part of it.

Instead, after several days, the virus suddenly attacks the heart, causing it to precipitously fail. The myocarditis phase is savage and kills people within a day or two. /11
My colleague has seen a number of cases in which multiple family members were in the hospital and critically ill. Maybe this means there’s some genetic predisposition, but it’s probably too soon to say. /12
And then there’s the fear that comes with an epidemic. Apparently people shopping wearing the hospital’s logo on their clothing have been asked to leave the store. And some who work in the hospital have been asked to move out of their apartment buildings for a few months. /13
Restaurants have refused food delivery, with some of them refusing to even leave the food on the ground outside. The hospital had to send the medics to go pick it up. One doc’s housekeeper refused to come clean for her. /14
In short, this is a nightmare, teetering on the precipice of even worse destruction. The goal of every American city should be to avoid becoming the next Seattle.

Everyone needs to understand not just how bad this could get, but HOW BAD THIS ALREADY IS in one major US city. /15x

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

bird cooch posted:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/15/federal-reserve-cuts-rates-to-zero-and-launches-massive-700-billion-quantitative-easing-program.html

KEY POINTS
In an emergency move Sunday, the Federal Reserve announced it is dropping its benchmark interest rate to zero and launching a new round of quantitative easing.
The QE program will entail $500 billion worth of asset purchases entailing Treasurys and mortgage-backed securities.

This is about to get interesting.

gently caress.

How do I short mortgage backed securities with $420.69 in my bank account?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
It's bad, but

https://twitter.com/dominicholden/status/1239266920551022592

eventually we'll be fine.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Handsome Ralph posted:

This guy nails it.

https://twitter.com/JIMrichards1010/status/1239140710558969857

I've been yelling it at my employer over the past week and it seems they've finally listened to everyone telling them to stop dragging rear end. They sent out an email a few hours ago finally telling everyone to stay the gently caress home till April.

In other words, this country is doomed

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Cugel the Clever posted:

I imagine we're in for a precipitous market drop if when the body count starts exploding that will make the recent sell-off look like a hiccup.

Bernie needs to talk about stimulus efforts now to get ahead of things and look prescient when things swan dive.

You will be emperor of the apartment complex and suzerain of the community center this time next year. You will amass a fortune of three hundred thousand poo poo tickets and you will kindly dole them out to your subjects in exchange for their loyalty in the war against those bastards holed up in the free state of the old folks home

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Sometimes you just need a Daddy to help remind you that everything will eventually be OK.

I heard some inspirational words from noted Daddy C.S. Lewis on the Daily the other day worth mentioning.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

quote:

Instead, after several days, the virus suddenly attacks the heart, causing it to precipitously fail. The myocarditis phase is savage and kills people within a day or two.

Welp, if true there's our answer to that

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
The gently caress, this rear end in a top hat is saying we have MASH units and poo poo to deploy. Lol. We're so hosed.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

sharknado slashfic posted:

Welp, if true there's our answer to that

Gee I wonder why it's killing people with a bmi over 25

BurningChrome
Jan 18, 2020

They said she cooked her own cancers for people who crossed her, rococo custom variations that took years to kill you. They said a lot of things about Chrome, none of them at all reassuring.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

The gently caress, this rear end in a top hat is saying we have MASH units and poo poo to deploy. Lol. We're so hosed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gO7uemm6Yo

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
What's gonna happen to those "get Trump out" voters if he succumbs to the plague? Are we still gonna get Biden vs Pence? :lol:

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Cugel the Clever posted:

the housing bubble is gonna pop because the boomer home owners are gonna die

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
NATURE CURES CAPITALISM, I guess.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

The nice page

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Woofer posted:

The nice memorial page

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

the housing bubble didn't even really pop last time. Prices went down but the people in a position to buy them were buying them as investments not to live in. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troubled_Asset_Relief_Program The government literally bought the toxic assets to soak up excess supply until the markets went back to normal.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Don't need to convince employers to adopt WFH/quarantine procedures if the companies goes under first.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Suicide Watch posted:

What's gonna happen to those "get Trump out" voters if he succumbs to the plague? Are we still gonna get Biden vs Pence? :lol:

Look at this stupid post.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Holy poo poo.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

The cardiac arrest bit is fascinating though.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Is it true?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Texted a nurse friend of mine in Seattle. She confirmed the hospitals are “very bad”

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

RIP goons
https://twitter.com/scott_mintzer/status/1239290396158681095

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

lol I haven't had a BMI under 25 since I was a kid. While I am certainly not pretending I am skinny anymore, I was under 15% body fat and 205 lbs in my younger days. Even then, I was at a BMI of 27.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Hekk posted:

lol I haven't had a BMI under 25 since I was a kid. While I am certainly not pretending I am skinny anymore, I was under 15% body fat and 205 lbs in my younger days. Even then, I was at a BMI of 27.

I think BMI is a good indicator for people who don't really do sports or train anything. Combat sports especially, I have friends who are in the obese category who are something like 10-15% body fat, just because they are short and built like tanks.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm a fatass. Guess I'll just die :shrug:

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://twitter.com/CashNastyGaming/status/1239039704181493761?s=20

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I'm not fat but as bad of shape as I'm in otherwise I know once I catch it I'm hosed lmao

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Viral myocarditis is not unusual at all. I don't have a way to confirm that specific news from Seattle but yeah, got a lot of friends in biotech research / faculty at Fred Hutchison, etc out there and talking with them their friends in the clinical side are all saying its bad.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Stultus Maximus posted:

its the only lever the Fed has. any other meaningful actions require either the White House or Congress

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
The fascist Christian suicide cult is going to pull a handmaids tale on us dawg.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Hospital situation from a medical professional in the Seattle thread:

elise the great posted:

Evergreen is full and drowning. Overlake is starting to fill up. UW isn’t stressed yet, but they’re making enormous and far-reaching mitigation/satellite plans. Word on the street is that Harborview is so far containing their Covid pop well; they had great Ebola prep and frankly they’re ahead of the rest of us. (Stay out of their ED though lol.) Swedish is a screaming shitshow at baseline and will probably burn down by accident three days into the first big wave. VM is a mystery to me but I’d guess it’s probably the same as Overlake.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Wasabi the J posted:

The fascist Christian suicide cult is going to pull a handmaids tale on us dawg.

Those idiots can't stop hugging everyone at church and holding hands for prayers. It'll be the untouchable class who try to grab the reigns.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Wife and I are watching Contagion again now to see how it held up. You can rent it on amazon afaik.

I gotta say the CDC scenes especially are fantastically well done for a movie and are very much exactly how we work in these kind of research labs. They don't try to make it look like cool hollywood science poo poo etc.

The virus in the movie is a bit faster, a bit more lethal, but also not like way way more than covid19. It's a good watch for the science layman imo.

Also good cast / production value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

E: wrong thread