Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
Sorry to say

Julio Cruz posted:

hmm yes what even is risk management

take a look at how Vietnam is dealing with it before making claims like "you can't contain it"

We’ve done ours, have you?

Come see me in 6 months if Vietnam successfully “contained” it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Hey, Mclaren's not going to be doing much else any time soon.

Don't fancy one of the McLaren ones myself to be fair.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/HenryKrinkIe/status/1239307445933137920?s=20

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

ThomasPaine posted:

If nothing else this whole thing is throwing the massive contradictions of capitalism into stark light in a way that can't be ignored. Silver linings! Imagine what we could do with a militant, embedded, effective vanguard party right now!

yes I'm drunk of course I'm drunk I've not seen anything but the same four walls for the last week and I am continuously imagining imminent death

CareyB's posts pretty clearly show that boris johnson will stroll to re-election over 2 million dead. i mean, a science man said so. nobody could know it would get this bad. probably woulda not been this bad if we'd stopped free movement!

I think this whole thing is also basically firmly proving that the UK doesn't actually have a central government anymore. parliament is just an extracurricular public school club for people to debate eachother while pocketing cash and has spent the last 20 years dismantling the post-war state
we also don't have a proper press but we've known that for decades

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

CareyB posted:

Sorry to say

absolute lol at the idea that repeatedly saying "actually there's nothing we can do" counts as risk assessment

who bought Dominic Cummings an account

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

We'll see how long that complacency of his lasts over the course of the next two months.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

This thing really is a massive punch in the dick.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

We'll see how long that complacency of his lasts over the course of the next two months.

i'll be posting even while i'm dying from it and still being complacent about it

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker

Communist Thoughts posted:

CareyB's posts pretty clearly show that boris johnson will stroll to re-election over 2 million dead. i mean, a science man said so. nobody could know it would get this bad. probably woulda not been this bad if we'd stopped free movement!

I think this whole thing is also basically firmly proving that the UK doesn't actually have a central government anymore. parliament is just an extracurricular public school club for people to debate eachother while pocketing cash and has spent the last 20 years dismantling the post-war state
we also don't have a proper press but we've known that for decades

And you produced the exact same graph the government produced, so your goals are aligned in a few ways it seems!

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Soylent Yellow posted:

What makes this difficult even if the government decides to do something is that our outbreak is already widespread. Italy's outbreak was mostly concentrated in the North, while Spain's is concentrated in Madrid. There might be a few islands in the Shetlands where we don't have pockets of infection. I think this figures quite heavily in the current official guidelines.

Well yeah we should have been doing poo poo two weeks ago at least

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Soylent Yellow posted:

What makes this difficult even if the government decides to do something is that our outbreak is already widespread. Italy's outbreak was mostly concentrated in the North, while Spain's is concentrated in Madrid. There might be a few islands in the Shetlands where we don't have pockets of infection. I think this figures quite heavily in the current official guidelines.

Don't forget this is an insanely crowded little island. Even the headline population density figures (in Europe only the Netherlands is more densely-populated) don't tell the whole story - half the population is crammed into about the fifth of the surface (the "Industrial Coffin" of London, the Midlands, and the southern bits of Lancashire and Yorkshire) and almost 15% of the population lives in London alone. There never was an opportunity to stop it spreading across the country, once it was in London, Newcastle, Belfast and Edinburgh within days it was everywhere in the country with a population too big to fit into a minibus.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Soylent Yellow posted:

I think the point is more that ventilators have been around for a while. In an emergency, you don't need to make a top-of-the-line 2020s model when any ventilator is better than none at all. Simplify and regress the design to the point that it can be produced in workshops with on-hand parts. They might be bulkier and not quite as effective as current models, but that's an acceptable compromise given the poo poo we're in.

Like I mentioned upthread, the most basic ventilator is a human hand pumping a glorified balloon and any layperson can be taught how to do that in an hour long basic life support session. It's in no way *great* but you should be able approximate that pretty easily mechanically.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

CareyB posted:

Sorry to say

I don't even know how to interpret this other than racism, Vietnam have been on top of this pandemic from day one, but we're meant to believe these inherently inferior people are the doomed ones, I guess.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

yes I'm drunk of course I'm drunk I've not seen anything but the same four walls for the last week and I am continuously imagining imminent death

So you're at work then?

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

an angry penguin posted:

Time to de-lurk again.

I'm disabled and have a chronic illness (plus bonus lung damage!), so I'm going to have to self-isolate. I'm so stressed and anxious over this all.

Hello Lurker!

I advise checking your local area facebook groups. Have seen on mine (well, my old one from when I used to live in the UK) that there are at least 3 or 4 people saying "If anybody is in need of anything because of Coronavirus - shopping, help or just a chat, let me know". If you get really stuck there will likely be some local people happy to help.

Also managed to speak to my Mum earlier and my parents are smart enough to be isolating (I have mentioned previously that my Mum has a history of smoking and pneumonia) so that's good. OTOH my brother and his family went out to a local pub for lunch today. Idiots.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

well expect the death toll in scotland to increase dramatically very soon: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-51902133

quote:

A care home in South Lanarkshire has confirmed six cases of Covid-19

Residents of Highgate Care Home near Uddingston are being closely monitored and strict infection control measures have been put in place.

NHS Lanarkshire said all relatives and staff were being informed of developments.

The care home caters for about 70 elderly patients, some of whom have conditions such as Alzheimer's or Parkinson's Disease.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

CareyB posted:

And you produced the exact same graph the government produced, so your goals are aligned in a few ways it seems!

the graph showing that they need to shut everything down early and that will limit the spread?
the exact opposite of what you're arguing and what the government are doing?

are you sure you're not some kinda p-zombie?

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker

Julio Cruz posted:

absolute lol at the idea that repeatedly saying "actually there's nothing we can do" counts as risk assessment

who bought Dominic Cummings an account

You’re missing something mate maybe yeah you should just do nothing, like literally nothing at all.....

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker

the graph showing that they need to shut everything down early and that will limit the spread?
the exact opposite of what you're arguing and what the government are doing?

are you sure you're not some kinda p-zombie?

It’s already everywhere, not sure what you’re going to achieve? Things will have to open again you know?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Because the NHS can deal with 100 thousand people over 10 days better than it can over 1.

Why do we have lanes on the road, why doesn't everone just drive next to each other at the same time?

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

TheRat posted:

The last report like this someone posted here was that the virus literally punches you in the dick.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/wuhan-doctors-warn-coronavirus-could-cause-male-infertility

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I don't even know how to interpret this other than racism, Vietnam have been on top of this pandemic from day one, but we're meant to believe these inherently inferior people are the doomed ones, I guess.

thats a big thing atm. trusting that british science, out of all the countries in the world, is right and everyone else is wrong.

i see people going "huh how come africa is doing this well???? they're black and poor!" and nobody is appreciating that these countries are hardened veterans of epidemics that would make us collapse.

CareyB posted:

It’s already everywhere, not sure what you’re going to achieve? Things will have to open again you know?

you didn't comprehend any of that then, you are some kind of chat bot, i'm so sorry to be the one to tell you this

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

*firefighters arriving at a street where half the houses are on fire*

"yeah let's just leave it a bit, might as well at this point"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/trekonomics/sta...ingawful.com%2F

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

thats a big thing atm. trusting that british science, out of all the countries in the world, is right and everyone else is wrong.
the dumbest part is it isn't british medical science - the journals and doctors are yelling at the government after first thinking the plan they were told was a parody

the country needs to shutdown within 2 weeks, government-led or not

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

it does actually make the gov plan make more sense if we can assume there are people in the country who are incapable of thought

i read a fun article in the indy that was like "how come africa is handling covid well?" and despite the fact the pic they chose showed a robust screening and isolation ward even before many cases arrive, not a single one of the "experts" suggested it was because they might have better knowledge and expertise than europe.
one of the suggestions was literally that black people might be so genetically different that covid doesnt infect them

rather than like, these are the countries that just got done stopping ebola from wiping out entire villages and aren't loving around.

thats the dumb poo poo about "there is no containment", there kinda is, its not perfect but its magnitudes better than not doing so but it requires strong and sweeping action by central government and most western states don't really have one anymore or not one capable of doing these things.
there arguable is no containment for the UK, but you can still suppress the poo poo out of the virus, but step one of that is mass testing and we, uniquely i think, aren't testing anyone who isn't currently dying.
i think that will change because it will also make our mortality rate loving eyewatering compared to anywhere else if we're only recording people who are already near death

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 15, 2020

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

baka kaba posted:

*firefighters arriving at a street where half the houses are on fire*

"yeah let's just leave it a bit, might as well at this point"

nah the firefighters were already there when the first houses started burning

and saying things like "well the ones that don't burn down must be extra fireproof"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If we leave them on fire for a bit we can raise everyone else on the street's insurance premiums.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

TheRat posted:

It's more the lungs that are affected primarily, but it apparently does cause infertility in some cases so yeah I guess.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 15, 2020

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Nigeria basically saved the world from Ebola, and 'the usually measured WHO declared the feat "a piece of world-class epidemiological detective work." ' They have black skin though, so these dickheads won't think they can learn anything from them.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
a failed attempt at containment would also help "flatten the curve", surely?

so glad they just said "welp, they seem to be getting it under control in East Asia but there's no way that would work here because we're so much more scrutable, guess we just have to accept hundreds of thousands of dead people as the price of not scaring the number"

and then the number goes down anyway

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

XMNN posted:

so glad they just said "welp, they seem to be getting it under control in East Asia but there's no way that would work here because we're so much more scrutable, guess we just have to accept hundreds of thousands of dead people as the price of not scaring the number"

Yes but it might go down MORE if we stopped people going to the footy and this would be bad even though fewer of them might die because

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

XMNN posted:

yeah its been very surreal, we've basically seen a huge science experiment taking place before our eyes and were lucky enough to be far behind the curve enough to know what works and what doesn't by the time it hit us.
then italy's response was alarming and the outcome has been horrifying, it just keeps getting worse every day without sign of slowing. they are now desperately implementing china's policies and accepting chinese help.

now the UK is ... i think the worst response in the world by quite a way? the USA ain't doing great but they have 10x more ICU capacity than us and are actually doing huge actions now. we are doing gently caress all. apparently cause we think we've got loads of time but we aren't testing so we also can't know. better to err on the side of recklessness in a deadly pandemic.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

CareyB posted:

Sorry to say

You seem to be exceedingly stupid and I can't believe no one has told you to shut the gently caress up yet

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker

forkboy84 posted:

You seem to be exceedingly stupid and I can't believe no one has told you to shut the gently caress up yet

Hahah ok. Someone said a few posts up that everything’s getting shut down in a couple weeks like the gov didn’t say exactly loving that just last week. This threads loving stupid if not woefully ill informed. Hope you stocked up :)

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
The Financial Times has some really good tracking and information on the spread and different countries activities. because capital needs accurate information more than the public and we live in a hellworld

Johnson is attempting to fudge the first graph to look statesmanlike and modern by not testing (and to avoid the blowback from our poo poo initial response), and is loving up the second graph because he’s a dumb oval office, and again, hellworld.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I picked up swine flu back in 2009 which permanently hosed my lungs and gave me asthma. Very keen not to get this one.

I don't think this stuff about myocarditis is actually true, it's a nasty respiratory virus.

E: OK there is apparently some risk of myocarditis
https://www.preprints.org/manuscript/202003.0180/v1

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

knox_harrington posted:

I picked up swine flu back in 2009 which permanently hosed my lungs and gave me asthma. Very keen not to get this one.

how unpatriotic of you

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

CareyB posted:

Hahah ok. Someone said a few posts up that everything’s getting shut down in a couple weeks like the gov didn’t say exactly loving that just last week. This threads loving stupid if not woefully ill informed. Hope you stocked up :)

i'm gonna post with sincerity and assume you're not being dumb on purpose. Do you not see the difference between we may do something later and doing something now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

CareyB posted:

getting the strange feeling this chap is not in fact here to seriously debate and discuss the issues in good faith