Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

That Works posted:

lol we'd never get legal weed.

Just move to any of the legal states that already exist.

Good luck selling any house or getting a job elsewhere while the world burns though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Sounds like maybe Snyder was a bad choice for Sucker Punch, if it's supposed to highlight the bad side of stereotypes for pop culture women. Maybe put, I don't know, a woman in the director chair instead?

If something is going to tell me I'm bad for watching whatever for any reason, they should just come out and say it up front instead of trying to hide it in themes and special effects.

I feel like Snyder was trying to make a MeToo movie, maybe, but it came across like a guy offering to carry a girl's printer while staring at her tits.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Sounds like maybe Snyder was a bad choice for Sucker Punch, if it's supposed to highlight the bad side of stereotypes for pop culture women. Maybe put, I don't know, a woman in the director chair instead?

If something is going to tell me I'm bad for watching whatever for any reason, they should just come out and say it up front instead of trying to hide it in themes and special effects.

What's wrong with Snyder? I don't remember him being called out for anything. Also, he wrote it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Maybe put, I don't know, a woman in the director chair instead?

Woah woah woah. Let's not get too carried away.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

The movie explicitly did that multiple times in common English. The rest of the movie was just flashing lights to get people into the theater.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQm1rBqh53Y

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Mar 16, 2020

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/JoyAnnReid/status/1239354007392567296?s=20

To be a pundit and be this terrible is just staggering

Are you sure it's not normal

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

e. nm

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Chichevache posted:

Pretty sure it was panned in CineD.

To be fair this is the best recommendation there is

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

What's wrong with Snyder? I don't remember him being called out for anything. Also, he wrote it.

He’s kinda bad at movies. I say this as an apologist for his Watchmen adaptation.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
https://twitter.com/brianklaas/status/1239217522093764608?s=20

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Godholio posted:

Nothing against him. It's like if I want to watch a story about a struggle, maybe have one of the people fighting it in the chair calling scenes and interpreting the script.

Chichevache posted:

The movie explicitly did that multiple times in common English. The rest of the movie was just flashing lights to get people into the theater.

It obviously didn't keep my attention enough to get to these points. Maybe a different edit would get the point across. I'm not saying I'd have enjoyed it any more if a woman directed it, but it didn't feel worth my time when I dozed off or found something else to watch.

Reminds me of that godawful Ultraviolet movie from like, 15 years back, where they hamfisted an edit out for theaters and left important plot points out, then had a 20 minute longer edit for dvd release. Just, what? Why am I watching this garbage? Why did I waste the money to rent this pile of poo poo after watching it in theaters? Gahhhhh gently caress.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Holy gently caress.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/KevinMKruse/status/1239367368251518981?s=20

:same:

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

"Jack D. Ripper carries the will of D and is a threat to our World Government, Jack, I tell ya"

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

I just like that this channel has literally two videos and uses Sleigh Bells as its theme and the other video is "American Horror Story Asylum in 60 seconds" but is like 6 minutes long. I am too tired to figure out if this is :thejoke:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Holy gently caress.

You're going to have to be more specific

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

From cnn.com, links to 3 related stories:

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Those were sure some leftward sprints Joe did.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

My favorite part is when he showed everybody the fresh hammer and sickle tat he got on his chest

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

Trump: "people in the market should be thrilled"

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-global-markets/stocks-plunge-dollar-slides-as-feds-emergency-cut-spooks-investors-idUSKBN2121BM

Reuters posted:

“(The Fed) must really be scared. To do that in one fell swoop is really quite shocking,” said Robert Pavlik, chief investment strategist at Slatestone Wealth LLC in New York.

“They pulled out whatever weapons they had and my sense is I think it may help initially but I don’t think it goes much further because this is still a developing issue. They used up basically all their ammunition and we’re down to sticks and stones.”

Narrator: "the market isn't thrilled"

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

You're going to have to be more specific

Trump bribing Germany to keep vaccine exclusive, thread moved fast

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Chichevache posted:

The trailer convinced me, so I never watched it.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Sucker Punch is exactly the sort of exploitative fetish bait that it’s pretending to criticize. The only difference is that it turns to the camera and goes “isn’t this exploitation awful” and then goes straight back to it. I’d argue it’s worse than the typical sexist exploitation because it’s aware of how awful that is, but consciously does it anyways.

I’d be instantly skeptical of anybody claiming it’s a good MeToo movie

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Internet Wizard posted:

Sucker Punch is exactly the sort of exploitative fetish bait that it’s pretending to criticize. The only difference is that it turns to the camera and goes “isn’t this exploitation awful” and then goes straight back to it. I’d argue it’s worse than the typical sexist exploitation because it’s aware of how awful that is, but consciously does it anyways.

It's absolutely a female empowering movie, just like Kill Bill.

What makes it exploitative?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Trump bribing Germany to keep vaccine exclusive, thread moved fast

I mean, what in the actual gently caress

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah but I think we can all generally agree Tarantino > Snyder.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I mean, what in the actual gently caress

Yeah that’s one piece of news I legitimately don’t know how to process as a real thing

What the gently caress

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Yeah but I think we can all generally agree Tarantino > Snyder.

Yeah, I agree.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Fallom posted:

Yeah that’s one piece of news I legitimately don’t know how to process as a real thing

What the gently caress

Remember Donniebrain, if you're losing, someone else must be winning, specifically to keep you losing. It makes COMPLETE sense that he would want to poach a vaccine from another country, then stick an exclusivity agreement on it. It would never, ever occur to him to just, you know, be friendly to said country and they'll gladly help you.

Someone has to win, someone has to lose. Morality has nothing to do with Donniebrain. He's a poo poo person with personality disorders.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Fallom posted:

What the gently caress

I saw it floating around and immediately thought it had to be a hoax of some kind.

Then figured I'd wait on it to be confirmed, because, yes, Trump is just that much of a shitfuck. And here we are.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Yes but it isn't just Donnie remember

You now have that kind of action on the world stage because he is POTUS

I mean that's an action that would explicitly and directly lead to hundreds of thousands of deaths, if not millions. I'd say that's an impeachable action, but it's actually just Monday.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Internet Wizard posted:

thank you for posting this so i didn't have to.

did you know it ends with a dedication to snyder's mother, who died as it was being made? i know, because i watched the whole thing in theaters. as a fellow half-orphan, suckepunch is bad even compared 300 and Watchmen.

Chichevache posted:

It's absolutely a female empowering movie, just like Kill Bill.

What makes it exploitative?

lurid sexual and physical threats to attractive young women. a premise that places their bodies fully in the control of men and offers them no empowerment except through seduction, seen through the effects-reel set pieces. Internet Wizard already says it: you don't get a pass just because you wink at the camera and say "but it's different when I do it!"

jon hamm's soliloquy at the end was vile, but in a sense perfect. "oh, wow! wow! seeing this mutilated woman has helped me finally feel empathy for her! this has really made me reconsider my earlier criticisms of snyder's ouevre! genius is never appreciated in its own time!"

...anyway, current event, i spent my weekend driving around state parks. i recommend it.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Internet Wizard posted:

I'm not sure if it was fetish bait, but it was a pretty bad movie.

The best way I can describe it is, some executive producer had a intern look at the Tumblr and Facebook pages of high school anime club presidents across the US, then complied a list of the recurring images and created a Mad Libs-style script.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Finally made it home.

After five hours of delays that began with the aircraft turning around because of smoke coming off the engine (apparently severe enough that some of the flight attendants sought medical attention? I dunno I don’t think any of the passengers smelled anything). That prompted several hours of delays with people starting to get angry with ticket agents, an aircraft that sat waiting for a crew for two hours, then for another 30 minutes for fuel, then another 30 minutes to “restart the computers” and then finally we were airborne.

If I get a Corona hangover, this is why. gently caress you, American Airlines.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I mean keeping the cure for only the rich is literally an evil choice in a Bioware game, that being the Bioware notable for good = give man back his money, bad = murder him and his family for their few leftover coins

BurningChrome
Jan 18, 2020

They said she cooked her own cancers for people who crossed her, rococo custom variations that took years to kill you. They said a lot of things about Chrome, none of them at all reassuring.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I mean keeping the cure for only the rich is literally an evil choice in a Bioware game, that being the Bioware notable for good = give man back his money, bad = murder him and his family for their few leftover coins

In retrospect, it's very realistic once you factor in current events

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
The major metropolitan area near me just suspended all civil cases in the courts.
The exceptions:
1) Emergency Temporary Restraining Orders
2) Civil mental health (immediate danger to oneself or others stuff)
aaand
3) Evictions.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
^ oh my, one of those things not like the other etc....

Chichevache posted:

a female empowering movie, just like Kill Bill.

Stop typing "female" in the context of trying to point out how a near-universally panned dude-eyed fantasy movie is actually very progressive, and supposedly the only reason Snyder wasn't rewarded for it was because people hadn't started calling out sexual harassment/assault en masse.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I hate all of you, I just want you to know that.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Just me, sitting here, watching yet another dude tell me what I should find empowering.

It's a good look. Keep it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

BurningChrome posted:

In retrospect, it's very realistic once you factor in current events

We cannot allow a vaccine gap!