Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

What's the concept for ZHP anyways? What makes it special?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Been playing a poo poo ton of Dark Future: Blood Red States and it's begun to make me see that what makes a game roguelike to me is "it's a game where time only moves in one direction". The idea of making tactical choices and having to live with their ramifications is really the core of roguelike gameplay to me.

DF:BRS is real good tho, and it's very deeply on sale atm

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

LordSaturn posted:

Been playing a poo poo ton of Dark Future: Blood Red States and it's begun to make me see that what makes a game roguelike to me is "it's a game where time only moves in one direction". The idea of making tactical choices and having to live with their ramifications is really the core of roguelike gameplay to me.

DF:BRS is real good tho, and it's very deeply on sale atm

What kind of game is it? Turn-based, tactical, what?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Oh, sorry, I felt like the game's page (linked above) explained it pretty well.

It's comprised of a series of missions in which you are a car with guns on an endless four-lane highway, and you have to accomplish some specific objective while being hassled by NPCs who are also cars with guns. The in-between parts involve buying ever-more-expensive gasoline, and upgrading your car.

There's 10 playable characters at the moment, each of which has a series of quests to perform, and finishing that line counts as a "win" and unlocks another character. The characters can also have slightly different cars, though I've only got the first three so far.

Various sources describe the game as being like Mad Max, which feels wrong to me. Mad Max is usually people-with-guns-in-cars, where this is firmly cars-with-guns-on-them. Still, you're racing across the post-apocalyptic landscape and battling with enemy cars, so some of the tone is still there.

I bounced off it hard on my first playthrough, you're definitely expected to spend way more time in slow-motion than I realized. Combats are protracted and lethal, a delicate tightrope act because all objectives center on traveling forward, but traveling forward will gradually spawn new enemies, and if you haven't been killing the ones that are already chasing you, then the situation just keeps getting worse. On the other hand, if you actually complete the objective, the mission ends instantly, so sometimes it's worth it to just pour on the turbo and try to sneak through that last blockade with half the state chasing you.

There's also some difficulty associated with the shop not having the items you want to buy; you rarely have much choice about what kind of gun you're using, because you only see one or two in the shop at a time, and you need to keep tiering up so you can kill enemies quickly and keep the pack limited in size.

I really hope they add some kind of visible alert for when new enemies spawn in, I wind up managing the pack chasing me and run headfirst into someone ahead that I hadn't seen come in. It can also be hard to spot things like road spikes in time to steer around them.

One last feature that stuck out to me - the UI is intensely color-coded, but they have by-name options for various kinds of color blindness.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

DrManiac posted:

ZHP is legitimately Nippon Ichi’s best game and both sequels making GBS threads the bed will never not make me mad.

holy poo poo there were ZHP sequels?

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Epsilon Plus posted:

holy poo poo there were ZHP sequels?

spiritual sequels! I just had this exact reaction and immediately went to wikipedia.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Roluth posted:

The general concept for the story is that the Final Boss Battle is happening and it's up to the Unlosing Ranger to save the world! Except he gets hit by a truck and instead the protagonist has to take on his mantle, and oh boy is he a complete loser. The general story is that you're shipped off to an off-world hero training camp where you visit Bizarro Earth to level grind so that you can beat Darkdeath Evilman, and every chapter ends with yet another fight with him. Meanwhile, there are plenty of other heroes who are stalling for time while you try to get strong enough to win.

The biggest neat thing about it is the Shadowgram, which is a sphere grid esque system. Essentially, ZHP is a Mystery Dungeon style game, where after every dungeon you keep all your items (if you got out alive) while your level drops back down to one. Back at the base, you can change items into chips and stuff them in the Shadowgram, which affects your stat growth. For example, if you get 5 +1 DEF chips in there, you'll get an extra 5 defense every level up. It's pretty neat and offers a lot of customization.

It's also a game where items matter a lot. Your equipment tends to offer a lot of skills; weapons often have their own skills tied to them, legs often give you passives that let you mitigate traps or terrain, and there are some head pieces that let you eat basically anything. In addition to the equipment you bring into a dungeon, you can also designate a set of equipment to be your "hero outfit". Basically, when you fill up a meter mid dungeon you can do a fantastic kamer rider transformation and summon your rear end-kicking outfit. It comes with it's own theme song too, which changes depending on what pieces of equipment you're using.

It's just a lot of fun, really. It's got a very goofy story that doesn't take itself seriously, and is stuffed to the gills with customization.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

DrManiac posted:

ZHP is legitimately Nippon Ichi’s best game and both sequels making GBS threads the bed will never not make me mad.

what's ZHP stand for?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Captain Foo posted:

what's ZHP stand for?

Zettai Hero Project. I have no idea what a Zettai is

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Captain Foo posted:

what's ZHP stand for?

Zettai Hero Project

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Foo Diddley posted:

Zettai Hero Project. I have no idea what a Zettai is

Zettai means "absolute" as in "I will absolutely defeat them."

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

This is making me want to play ZHP again. I wonder how hard it is to get a PSP emulator set up these days, I don't really want to go back to playing it on the actual PSP...

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

ToxicFrog posted:

This is making me want to play ZHP again. I wonder how hard it is to get a PSP emulator set up these days, I don't really want to go back to playing it on the actual PSP...

PPSSPP is real good

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Roluth posted:

To me, what makes it special is that after a story that doesn't take itself too seriously on the whole the last few chapters are seriously, genuinely uplifting and the game left me with a huge goofy happy smile on my face.

Then I dressed up as an anime character with penguin rockets for hands and dove into the postgame.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

ZHP is great to me because the nippon Ichi meta game mechanics works really well with the typical mystery dungeon gameplay. Every piece of equipment has its own characteristics so the loot is actually fun to play around with.

The sentai theming is dope as hell, the soundtrack is really good (there’s like 20+ vocal theme songs that mix together based on what equipment you’re wearing), and the story genuinely made me feel things despite how silly it is.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
IVAN says: Cross Those Streams~

https://github.com/Attnam/ivan/releases/tag/v058

quote:

New Quest: Kingdom of Aslona

A new main quest will see you trying to bring peace back to the kingdom of Aslona, currently in the middle of a civil war.
Add five new locations.
Player can now have a ship to sail the oceans of worldmap. This also means that they can now bring pets that would normally be unable to cross the ocean with them.

Changes:

Added Aslona!
Added new ROOM_OWNED_AREA type for generic owned rooms. Uses code similar to the Cathedral or Decos' house.
Change structure of quests. Petrus now takes the encrypted scroll and gives you some alone time. If you chat with him again, you will receive the GC quest, or you can find other people to chat for other quests.
Add some new monsters, items, artifacts, materials and crafting recipes.
Hotness can now be used to define materials that deal fire damage on contact, just like Acidicity for acidic materials.
Use GitHub app for LGTM.
Cats can be tamed with fishes.
Orcs have black blood.
Lobh-se is a bit more fun.
Make amulets easily recognizable by color.
Land mines can now be sometimes defused if you levitate over and pick them up.
Willpower now protects against some hostile magic.
Add autopick regex.
Add an option to show info about gods, displaying their last reaction to prayer.
Better 'F1' command in menus:
Some items now have descriptions.
Better help for crafting actions.
New help for config options.
Add options to start with no pet and to use health descriptions.
Add alternate door traps.
Prevent very dumb creatures from using wands.
You cannot unequip locked chastity belt.
Update README and add MANUAL.
A wise player can look at an enemy for a rough estimation of their health.
Add day/night cycle to all above-ground locations.
Enable weather effects for more above-ground locations.
Let monsters also benefit from Detecting status effect.
Coffins now generate with grave goods and do something when you steal from them.
Hammers are good with the undead.
Some monsters now have different diets.
Add many new sound effects.

Fixes:

Decos no longer lets you steal from him.
You can no longer leave the Black Market through walls.
Slightly nerf Black Market.
Display Willpower in wizard mode secrets.
Running in wilderness now correctly takes stamina.
Fix some quest messages not being saved as already displayed.
Reveal gas traps when you step on them.
Fix several places where panic immunity or disease immunity was not respected.
Fix several crafting bugs, hopefully preventing crashes.
Fix Terra not offering priestly services after you killed Lobh-se.
Spill more water over a burning player when they pray to Silva, so there's a better chance to be extinguished.
Prevent long strings in config options from overflowing when displayed.
Prevent building features in owned rooms.
Explosive liquids can no longer be used to douse flames.
Wands of webbing were not causing hostility.
Fix horns of fear causing panic without checking the panic resistance of the victim.
Remove redundant messages from auto map notes.
Fix sitting on fountains and drinking from non-water fountains.
Fix AI not using equipped zappable items.
Make taming/possessing more powerful creatures scale correctly.
Fix a bug where boots were not correctly considered for kicking effects.
Fix teleport lock from non-equipment sources never timing out.
Assorted minor fixes and balancing.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

quote:

Land mines can now be sometimes defused if you levitate over and pick them up.

there's a lot to unpack from the word "sometimes" in this sentence

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Jazerus posted:

there's a lot to unpack from the word "sometimes" in this sentence

Yeah. It's very on-brand for IVAN :allears:

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
wooo I finally ascended in TOME! That makes it the first classic roguelike I've beaten.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Impermanent posted:

wooo I finally ascended in TOME! That makes it the first classic roguelike I've beaten.

Gratz! Now for the ADOM ultra and a nethack clear without spoilers!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

DrManiac posted:

ZHP is great to me because the nippon Ichi meta game mechanics works really well with the typical mystery dungeon gameplay. Every piece of equipment has its own characteristics so the loot is actually fun to play around with.

The sentai theming is dope as hell, the soundtrack is really good (there’s like 20+ vocal theme songs that mix together based on what equipment you’re wearing), and the story genuinely made me feel things despite how silly it is.

I don't think I've ever heard the music. I was mostly playing it on the PSP while walking to and from class and stuff, which meant I wouldn't be able to hear the music over traffic anyways, so I kept it muted.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Dream Quest is one dollar!

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Been putting time into Spelunky lately; what the hell was this shopkeeper doing holding a helping hand? I thought he was dead but he was just standing there holding him.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.

LordSloth posted:

To derail the derail with a further derail, has anyone tried Horizon’s Gate? It’s a tactical rpg with a job system, terrain changing, and a dash of Sid Meier’s Pirates.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1224290/Horizons_Gate/

played this for a few hours, then went and grabbed his other games to play first. the UI is a lot better than Voidspire, so I figure it'll be harder to play them out of order.

that being said, these games own. they're cute and goofy and remind me of my childhood emulating Tactics Ogre

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Thanks for this, finally got around to it. How do I not get melted by every single elite? They just seem to outclass me in every way, regardless of my class.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Thanks for this, finally got around to it. How do I not get melted by every single elite? They just seem to outclass me in every way, regardless of my class.

A combination of learning how to deal with each one, learning what can spawn on which color floor so you can prepare for potential threats from the start of the floor, getting some of the early unlocks for extra chests and health and whatnot, and sheer luck.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Yeah, the achievement unlocks are actually awesome, even +1 HP forever feels great. I like the system.

(Also I die constantly - am I being too glass cannony, or what? Feels like the wheels come off on floor two when I run into anything I can't kill in two or three rounds.)

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
That really depends on your class. And dq has a ton of unfair bullshit so sometimes you just have to accept that you're going to lose.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Anyone pick up Roundguard? It's described as a peggle roguelite which sounds awesome.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/848030/Roundguard/

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
I had no idea Din’s Legacy left early access last year. I’m not sure I want to play another game in that particular sub genre on ARPG, but the concept of that dev constantly fascinate me. Anyone with some interesting tales from the latest iteration, or some interesting LPs/YouTube videos? My twitch category filling is completely broken, so no clue if anyone plays it.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Harminoff posted:

Anyone pick up Roundguard? It's described as a peggle roguelite which sounds awesome.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/848030/Roundguard/

It's Peggle with a skill system, equipment and artifacts, Dicey Dungeons' gameshow format, and Slay the Spire's branching map. (And when I say it's Peggle, I mean, it even does the slow-down when you're about to hit the last monster.) I bought it on a whim, and yeah, it's pretty fun.

LordSloth posted:

I had no idea Din’s Legacy left early access last year. I’m not sure I want to play another game in that particular sub genre on ARPG, but the concept of that dev constantly fascinate me. Anyone with some interesting tales from the latest iteration, or some interesting LPs/YouTube videos? My twitch category filling is completely broken, so no clue if anyone plays it.

I've bounced off of Din's Legacy several times, but haven't played the more polished versions, never mind the release. It's more Zombasite than Din's Curse, and, for me, that format just has way too much map traversal. I loved the simplicity of DC's "go down and do". Having said that, I want to play more, and will, when the ARPG mood hits me next.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Keeper Roguelike is giving away one of it's alpha releases for free this pandemic.

quote:

Being stuck in self-isolation myself, I decided to release a free download of the Alpha 29 patch, to hopefully sweeten everyone’s time a bit! This is the most recent version of the game.

Some strings attached:

This is only a direct download of Alpha 29, you won’t own the game on Steam or anywhere else. You will have to buy the game if you’re interested in playing future versions.
Due to a technical issue, online mod and dungeon sharing capability is limited.
Download KeeperRL Alpha 29 here

Have fun and take care!

https://keeperrl.com/free-quarantine-alpha-29-download/

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

LordSloth posted:

I play all of Soldak's stuff, but the concept behind this one is random mutations that give you skills or modify random skills in your tree, which is not exactly thrilling for a genre where planning out your character is part of the appeal. I've also repeatedly run into issues with the map generation where an objective just seems to be impossible to reach.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Klaus Kinski posted:

That really depends on your class. And dq has a ton of unfair bullshit so sometimes you just have to accept that you're going to lose.
Unironically, that makes me feel good to hear, because a lot of these monsters feel ridiculous in various ways. Sometimes it's even in my favor, like, there are things that show up on floor two that hit like kittens! Or lizard dudes with totems to get a jillion mana that are choked on cards!

Then cat men hit me for 15 a turn and blank my first card played every turn and I just die.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Unironically, that makes me feel good to hear, because a lot of these monsters feel ridiculous in various ways. Sometimes it's even in my favor, like, there are things that show up on floor two that hit like kittens! Or lizard dudes with totems to get a jillion mana that are choked on cards!

Then cat men hit me for 15 a turn and blank my first card played every turn and I just die.

This mostly applies to hard mode though (and the final boss will pretty much murder everything except the most broken decks). On normal you can hit a pretty high winrate once you understand the gimmicks and play conservatively but sometimes a wizard enemy just draws the perfect hand and suicide bombs your hp.

I want a remastered version of this with some balance and sanity changes so bad :(

Klaus Kinski fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Mar 18, 2020

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Been trying out the new IVAN version here and there, and the new alternative main quest seems pretty great - it gives you three different dungeons to choose from, right off the bat. I haven't tried the pyramid yet (the wizard dude said it was incredibly dangerous, and if IVAN tells you something is dangerous, you loving listen), but the other two dungeons seem interesting and distinct, so far. One is a mystic cave overtaken by fungus, populated by all sorts of weird mutant creatures (including nurphe bats, which are complete assholes); the other is a ruined fortress full of goblins and other things, and there are plenty of dickishly clever goblin traps to blunder into (I walked onto a chest to open it up, triggered a sleeping gas trap sitting beneath it, and got absolutely beaten to a pulp by a bunch of goblins who jumped out of hiding when I passed out).

Quick question, just in case anybody knows: what the hell do the new boots of displacement do? I wore a pair around for a while but couldn't discern any obvious effect.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Angry Diplomat posted:

nurphe bats, which are complete assholes

IVAN dev plays Dungeonmans. This is one of my favorite enemy names from DMans, up there with the beeholder. One of those "wait, what do those...oh, I know what those do" moments. :allears:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

IVAN's are... well, they're uniquely IVAN. They immediately polymorph any weapon you hit them with, and not necessarily into another weapon. This can and will severely gently caress your run if you're careless, but you can also collect lovely weapons and bonk the nurphe bats with them in hopes of getting a useful item out if it.

It's very on-brand for this particular roguelike, I think.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Pushing the definition, the 2.5d platformer roguelite Fallback is also for sale at $1. I haven't had the chance to play it yet, but the reviews are glowing and it looks like the devs are planning a massive overhaul soon.

UPDATE:
This game is crushingly hard and there are a lot of translation errors, but they lend to the weird post-apocalyptic vibe of the setting. It's a hell of a lot of fun for $1.

OutOfPrint fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Relevant for the thread
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/03/ascii-art-permadeath-the-history-of-roguelike-games/