Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
That snake was a turd. I attribute that to its OHKO (for me) grab just coming out of nowhere with very little warning. The adds made this fight go from cool and challenging to kind of a pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Deified Data posted:

That snake was a turd. I attribute that to its OHKO (for me) grab just coming out of nowhere with very little warning. The adds made this fight go from cool and challenging to kind of a pain.

You can kill his snake arms while their attached to prevent them from becoming adds in the Dark Realm. It's a little tricky, but helps. The grab is brutal, though, real high damage.

I'm still trying to find the best secondary weapon to compliment the odachi. I'm rolling with the spear now, but I like every weapon type so it's hard to pick.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I'd go for something short and quick, since you've got long and slow covered. I like to imagine human enemy reactions when you've been flipping around with tonfa or KSG then pull out this 5ft long sword :stare:

This is a good look at how Nurikabe work, and also they made one of the devs drown in a hot spring :krakken:
https://twitter.com/TND669/status/1239447912955904000

shits on fire yo
https://twitter.com/TND669/status/1239441077997834240

Didn't notice a giant ape jumping down on me, almost got killed like 4 times, ran back to my cat friend for help:
https://twitter.com/TND669/status/1239451170340581376?s=20

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Game is good so far, I don't understand why you'd equip any weapon that isn't a switchglaive. Low stance switchglaive with bonus damage from magic and spamming Nurikabe skill between light attack combos and so far nothing has been allowed to swing at me.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Mar 16, 2020

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

deep dish peat moss posted:

Game is good so far, I don't understand why you'd equip any weapon that isn't a switchglaive.

I keep intending to use it as a secondary but the tonfa just do so much work.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
An axe with ki damage on southpaw can instantly blow up any human opponent’s ki in one combo, even bosses. This is stupid lmao

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Here's a question I haven't found an answer for:

Some of the Samurai skill tree skills say "certain active skills will have X", but how the hell do I select which of those passive skills I'm using?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I'm super tired of fighting those little Gaki demons that eat eachother. They're just tough enough that I still have to pay attention and fight them properly.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Der Shovel posted:

Here's a question I haven't found an answer for:

Some of the Samurai skill tree skills say "certain active skills will have X", but how the hell do I select which of those passive skills I'm using?

In the menu where you select your active skills you can also map these to your skills.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
scampuss psn avatar :3:

this game is extremely fun

I can't tell if the boss difficulty curve is better or I am just much better, but it seems more smartly laid out with no Hino-Enma or lightning-rear end in a top hat-in-tiny-arena equivalents.

emdash fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Mar 16, 2020

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

emdash posted:

scampuss psn avatar :3:

this game is extremely fun

I can't tell if the boss difficulty curve is better or I am just much better, but it seems more smartly laid out with no Hino-Enma or lightning-rear end in a top hat-in-tiny-arena equivalents.

I've been distributing new assholes to every boss and duelist so far but at the end of chapter three (minor spoiler?) Oda Nobunaga challenges you to a friendly and Jesus Christ I am humbled.

SnipeShow
Nov 7, 2009

That dance wasn't as safe as they said it was.

Likely looking at a 14 day gaming session so I've got this downloading. Any tips for a newbie? I made Nioh 1 much harder than necessary by running around with the chain weapon (and just generally being bad), so if there are any pitfalls a scrub like me ought to be aware of I'd really appreciate it.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Don't be afraid to block, it's not Dark Souls where you need to dodge roll through all attacks.

In most (but not all) situations, there's a way to not fight more than 1 or 2 enemies at a time. If a non-boss fight sees too hard, look around. There's likely a route that will let you pick off a straggler or two before the fight. Also don't forget your ranged weapons, being able to headshot an archer to keep them from plinking at you during a melee or to eliminate one enemy straight away will make your life much easier, and ammo is fairly easy to come by if you don't just spam them.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

If you want to use ninja tools or magic investing in their stats won't give you skill points in this one. You can get started earning points early by using consumable bombs and talismans and such. Isn't really any reason not to at least have some elemental weapon buffs at your disposal, they help a lot.

Wear armor. Aside from the defense benefit, being in greater weight classes makes blocking cost less ki and the higher toughness stat lets you poise through hits. With stamina in the teens you can get to 200 toughness under 70% weight and it's very comfy.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is it a good idea to invest in Magic a bit if you're not planning on using a lot of magic for offense? Like, for example, if you just want some utility spells (sloth talisman, etc.), how much investment into Magic is worth it?

Javaman98
Jul 15, 2002

ask me about strobing in LoL
So I'm wondering if anyone has done the research on this, because I'd have to cap some video in order to properly analyze it, how does sheathing work with "ki pulse stance change".

Firstly, does sheathing your weapon count as a stance change?
Secondly, why the hell does hitting R1+0 only sheathe my weapon like 50% of the time?

It seems pretty random as when tapping R1+O sheathes the weapon, even though the Ki Pulse happens consistently. Sometimes I will pulse and sheathe the weapon, sometimes I will pulse and my weapons stays out.
The follow up to this is, can I hit R1 and then Circle to sheathe and still get the bonus, assuming that sheathing counts as a stance change? Or do I have to sheathe by pressing both.

The alternative is to consistently switch into low stance for dodging, but then I have to remember to switch into high before attacking again, and I'm old. All of this is obviously because I'm kusarigama user, as I didn't want to just be a sword guy like in Nioh 1.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
The input for sheathing isn't R1 and O simultaneously, that's probably what's screwing you up. It's R1 hold, then O.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Harrow posted:

Is it a good idea to invest in Magic a bit if you're not planning on using a lot of magic for offense? Like, for example, if you just want some utility spells (sloth talisman, etc.), how much investment into Magic is worth it?

You can just invest enough to get what you want and stop. The magic stat is mostly only good for giving you slots to equip spells in unless you have equipment that scales off it. I've only got like, 12? and that's enough to carry 3 water and 3 elec talismans and 2 or 3 steel talismans.

Only trouble you might have is earning enough magic exp to unlock the training, can't remember if you need adept to get to sloth or not. In that case you'd have to use other magic skills/items a lot first.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

You do need the 30k expertise training to get sloth IIRC, it felt slow but I got it passively by midgame just occasionally putting the lightning buff on my weapon.

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 16, 2020

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

fwiw I got like 8k magic exp just in the last mission of the second region by using element buffs against every single big yokai I met, so you can probably grind it out pretty quickly if you want to. The projectile spells might be faster, I dunno.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

KonvexKonkav posted:

In the menu where you select your active skills you can also map these to your skills.

Never figured this out in the demo and was just wondering again last night. So it's basically the RPG equivalent of choosing to cast Fire2 instead of Fire, doing more damage but costing more MP?

tidiox
Jul 22, 2007
I just beat the Tatarimokke boss and I'm pretty sure part of it is glitched. One of the orbs that spawns in the dark realm would sometimes have its hitbox and targeting cursor pulled back out of bounds, behind the actual orb, so I couldn't hit it with any attacks. I'd say it was intentional, except 2 of the times I fought it, I could hit the orb just fine. I ended up having to do that phase by draining the boss' ki while under constant bombardment.

EDIT: And for anyone wondering, the Hidden Teahouse becomes available after you beat the first level in the 3rd chapter.

tidiox fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 16, 2020

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I’ve pretty solidified my weapon layout as axe/odachi, my axe setup COMPLETELY fucks human opponents. Odachi is weird and I have no idea what skills I should be using since it’s all laid out as a weird combo machine.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Also I assume they’re going to nerf snake boss’s core because Jesus Christ it’s so strong.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Best place to farm the wall guy’s soul gem? I hear it’s strong but I can’t remember where I found one yet.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
When is this coming out on PC?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I don't think they've commented on PC release at all. If you assume it's happening and will take a similar amount of time to the first game coming over then probably late 2020/early 2021

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

hamburgers in pockets posted:

Am I missing something, or are ninjutsu and onmyo magic unlocked by progress now? I've got like 7 points in each because the first Nioh taught me that spreading my stats was by far the best option, but I still don't even have the menu option for tools or magic. Caltrops were busted as hell in the first game and I want to be able to enchant my weapons again.

Ninjutsu and Magic have to be skilled up now by use, similar to your weapons. IIRC you don't actually get your first lock of either until about halfway through the second stage, so you can't actually start gaining skill points. Meaning you have to do the first level and most of the second all natural.

To be fair, once you have that first skill point, the subsequent ones come fast and furious even if it's not your primary focus. Even as a magic main with no Dex I keep gunpowder bombs on the handy and pitching the occasional bomb at enemies has given me enough skill points to roll with all the Ninjitsu passives I've wanted.

Magic is rad and I feel like it comes online way earlier than it did in the previous games. Even before the slow spell the weapon enchants are all pretty handy right out of the gate, especially right now that both of my accessories have +weapon enchant duration on it and I can keep them rolling for a shockingly long time.

So far I've only just beaten the first level of the second chapter, it's good to know tengus are as big a fucker as they are in the first game. I had trouble getting past the spot in Chapter 2 level 1, the second to the last shrine where you head down the cliff face and fight the Tengu right away. He'd take most of my elixirs to get past and then I'd have nothing left for the rest of the gauntlet between me and the Dark Zone Cyclops guarding the last shrine.

I'm not feeling the story of this game like I did the first one though. I really liked William in Nioh 1 and he had impetus and a reason to be doing what he's doing. So far I'm playing a mute who's being led around by a shifty merchant for no real good reason and for whom his primary motivation is basically war profiteering on Amarita. I'm going to keep on keeping on because gently caress I love me some Nioh, but man the story has been kind of a bummer so far.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 16, 2020

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I think it's best I wait anyway. I got to way of the wise in 1 like a year ago, and I was a little rusty going into the last chance trial and seriously impatient with the new demon mechanics.

Reminds me of when I did the monster Hunter Iceborne trial. I just straight up miss all my tools.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

lets hang out posted:

fwiw I got like 8k magic exp just in the last mission of the second region by using element buffs against every single big yokai I met, so you can probably grind it out pretty quickly if you want to. The projectile spells might be faster, I dunno.

I am fairly confident that weapon, magic and ninja exp is at least indirectly tied to damage dealt with each school of proficiency. So enchanting weapons gives you more exp because you’ll be doing more damage. Maybe there’s a breakpoint where using a *ball is more efficient but I don’t really know

One of my favorite parts in Nioh 1 was getting to the endgame and equipping a weapon type I completely neglected. You wind up getting buckets of proficiency points because you’re doing huge damage. The amount of proficiency needed for those first levels is scaled to early weapons. Made good imagery of William killing his way through Japan only to finally get enough confidence to use the sickle and chain, then immediately becoming a master after whacking a few mooks.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
Even further in with Hatchets now. I'm hoping the deeper skill where I get a combo finisher in high stance to make it worth it. So far I'm not sure being able to throw axes is really worth all the negatives so far.

What other weapons are good for draining ki from yokai? I snagged the bloodsomething Odachi from the 2nd boss and got a charm that adds paralysis damage as well so I was thinking about playing around with the medusa dust + odachi grapples on stunned opponents.

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

Might have been beaten to death but I just realized this game was made by the ninja gaiden team and is a looter type game ? Been burnt out on warframe lately and thinking this might be a good ninja-looter replacement.

Is Nioh 2 objectively a lot better than the first?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It's basically the same game except with more stuff?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nigulus Rex posted:

Even further in with Hatchets now. I'm hoping the deeper skill where I get a combo finisher in high stance to make it worth it. So far I'm not sure being able to throw axes is really worth all the negatives so far.

What other weapons are good for draining ki from yokai? I snagged the bloodsomething Odachi from the 2nd boss and got a charm that adds paralysis damage as well so I was thinking about playing around with the medusa dust + odachi grapples on stunned opponents.

Axes and tonfa are the main ki killers it seems.

slow_twitch posted:

Is Nioh 2 objectively a lot better than the first?

Not too far in yet, but so far and based on every review I've seen, 2 is just 1 with another layer of polish and one major gameplay addition in yokai shift. If you haven't played either there's no plot need to play the first one before this, but if you end up playing them backwards the first one will probably feel a little janky by comparison. Still good as hell if this Dark Souls + Ninja Gaiden is your jam.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 16, 2020

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

Takes No Damage posted:

Axes and tonfa are the main ki killers it seems.

Not too far in yet, but so far and based on every review I've seen, 2 is just 1 with another layer of polish and one major gameplay addition in yokai shift. If you haven't played either there's no plot need to play the first one before this, but if you end up playing them backwards the first one will probably feel a little janky by comparison. Still good as hell if this Dark Souls + Ninja Gaiden is your jam.

OK sweet thanks -- went ahead and picked it up. Kinda bummed that I missed out on a cool pre-order armour.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Ninjutsu seems really good in this game. I was tossing every gunpowder bomb I found pretty much immediately to get my first skill point and it still took until sometime in stage 2. But once I got there it became a super valuable part of my arsenal. Is anyone else using those fire landmine things? They're really powerful! They'll knock down any human enemy and set a lot of yokai on fire in a single hit. Good damage too.

tidiox posted:

I just beat the Tatarimokke boss and I'm pretty sure part of it is glitched. One of the orbs that spawns in the dark realm would sometimes have its hitbox and targeting cursor pulled back out of bounds, behind the actual orb, so I couldn't hit it with any attacks. I'd say it was intentional, except 2 of the times I fought it, I could hit the orb just fine. I ended up having to do that phase by draining the boss' ki while under constant bombardment.

EDIT: And for anyone wondering, the Hidden Teahouse becomes available after you beat the first level in the 3rd chapter.

Yeah, I noticed there was like a 1/3 chance when doing that fight that that thing would just be totally invincible. Frustrating! That's part of why I gave up and summoned an NPC to get past it.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 16, 2020

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

LawfulWaffle posted:

I am fairly confident that weapon, magic and ninja exp is at least indirectly tied to damage dealt with each school of proficiency. So enchanting weapons gives you more exp because you’ll be doing more damage. Maybe there’s a breakpoint where using a *ball is more efficient but I don’t really know

One of my favorite parts in Nioh 1 was getting to the endgame and equipping a weapon type I completely neglected. You wind up getting buckets of proficiency points because you’re doing huge damage. The amount of proficiency needed for those first levels is scaled to early weapons. Made good imagery of William killing his way through Japan only to finally get enough confidence to use the sickle and chain, then immediately becoming a master after whacking a few mooks.
Just don't do what my dumb rear end did, and put your first ninjitsu point into the sprint scroll, thinking you're not going to bother levelling dex. It makes levelling it a pain.

In my defence I was still in original Nioh mode and my brain thought, 'Nah, not going to put points in dexterity... WAIT. Argh I'm dumb.' :doh:

Dark Omens ( Optional mission you unlock after the second story mission ) has a bunch of skill points lying about in it which makes for a nice boost to Ninja/Magic builds trying to get started. I haven't retried it ( Spoilers as to why ) so I have no idea if you can farm the locks or not.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Yeah the "end game" ninja training mission's loadout really opened my eyes on a few of the less meta ninja options, the fire traps being one. The blinding powder is another, I couldn't believe the extent and duration to which it made the AI of the boss just stand there swinging at empty space

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
One of the most refreshing things about Nioh 1 was how many of the ninja and magic items were actually useful. Most games have a small group of clear 'good' items and the rest is just trash, but that is much less the case here, especially if you get a little creative with it. I used blindness a lot against the purple centipede boss in the first DLC to try and time out his living weapon attacks.

Speaking of, I'm currently getting smoked by this forge demon, and sometimes my living weapon comes back to me as soon as I respawn at the shrine, without leaving a grave, but sometimes not. What's up with that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Takes No Damage posted:

Speaking of, I'm currently getting smoked by this forge demon, and sometimes my living weapon comes back to me as soon as I respawn at the shrine, without leaving a grave, but sometimes not. What's up with that?

I don't have the game on me to check the exact wording, but there's a stat called something like grave return that gives a percentage chance for that to happen