Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

legitimate question, were there any good union generals that didn't have hosed up opinions about indians?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

You guys do know that Sherman wanted to genocide the indians and advocated wiping out the buffalo to help force them onto reservations??

that's really lovely. no doubt. but wanting to kill buffalo instead of native peoples sounds horrifyingly progressive for the time

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Smirking_Serpent posted:

legitimate question, were there any good union generals that didn't have hosed up opinions about indians?

lol

no

rofl

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
not going to pretend im a historian or anything but i liked the flashman series. i think the author was a tory or something? i never picked up on that because he never seemed to paint a flattering portrayal of any of the historical figures he meant, and the main character isnt supposed to elicit empathy

but one of my favorite bits from it is that flashman meets custard at a theater where he sees a really saccharine and lovely play but custer just breaks down weeping 15 minutes in because even though it was his job to commit genocide in the name of western expansion, and he loved it and thought he was great at it, he was apparently the kind of guy who would turn into a sobbing mess watching the 1800's equivalent of a lifetime movie. this was apparently documented pretty well based on the notes

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I hope that one communist general had good opinions about native americans.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
the only ethical time travel use is to save jim henson

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Not entirely sure how you rebuild a functioning society when 40% of the population actively rejects anything "coastals" are doing out of spite
in the past they'd ship that 40% to america or australia

sgbyou
Feb 3, 2005

I'm just a shadow in the light you leave behind.

Sounds like we need to find a new continent.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Grant was good after the war at least. Grant was surprisingly good in general.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/ulysses-grants-failed-attempt-to-grant-native-americans-citizenship-180971198/

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Guys if you want a real lad you want Sumner. He gave a speech that condemned the south and called them out so bad that a fellow senator literally went insane and jumped him with a club and beat his head in.

BUT Sumner went on to have a long political career and was pretty loving rad for his time. He wanted women and blacks to have full voting rights, thought that ex-slaves and Indians ought to be given their own land and, to top it all off, that the south should be treated like a colonised nation and their culture and heritage be lost to time.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
John Brown in a megazord, stomping confederate morons, thats the dream

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
https://twitter.com/ppollingnumbers/status/1239716395006427137?s=21

Americans have loving lost their loving minds. Dead collapsed civilization in full Koo Koo crazy fantasy mode.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

it’s missing LGBTQ rainbow coloring but it’s a solid start

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Al-Saqr posted:

Americans have loving lost their loving minds. Dead collapsed civilization in full Koo Koo crazy fantasy mode.

the vast majority just don’t pay attention and the dems are too timid to call him out in the midst of a crisis

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

the vast majority just don’t pay attention and the dems are too timid to call him out in the midst of a crisis

despite the republicans constantly whining that the DEMZ R POLITKASING THISS TRAJEDI

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Al-Saqr posted:

Americans are bootlickers who attach themselves to the brightest beacon of money and power, that's no surprise. Critical thinking processes have intentionally and actively been cut out of primary education for decades now.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
A good chunk of Americans like to think that this virus is a Chinese bioweapon made to make the Republicans and Daddy Trump look bad.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Tesseraction posted:

despite the republicans constantly whining that the DEMZ R POLITKASING THISS TRAJEDI

the whining is strategic, just like they do against the media. intimidates critics and conditions their base to ignore criticism as partisan

anywho trump's def on top of this crisis
https://twitter.com/maxbergmann/status/1239753967585972226

Apr 7, 2003

Forceholy posted:

A good chunk of Americans like to think that this virus is a Chinese bioweapon made to make the Republicans and Daddy Trump look bad.

A new level of solipsism

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

the whining is strategic, just like they do against the media. intimidates critics and conditions their base to ignore criticism as partisan

why would they wait to ramp up production

Apr 7, 2003

Dustcat posted:

Profit motive, ICUs are cash cows because of limited capacity. 65K ICU beds in total across the country.

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

Dustcat posted:

Can't risk having too much supply - inventory is the enemy.

What you're seeing is the endgame of 40+ years of game-theory influenced policy. Yes, spending money on a bunch of respirators, whether or not we end up needing them, would be the repsonible, humane thing to do. But consider this:

If you build the respirators and they save society, sure you look like a hero.

If you build the respirators and it turns out the repirators aren't needed, society goes on, but you just wasted a bunch of money, and hoo-boy, investors are NOT going to be happy about that.

Best to take the measured approach and wait for more information. You wouldn't want to act irrationally and without firm data.

ChipNDip has issued a correction as of 14:30 on Mar 17, 2020

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Dustcat posted:

:capitalism:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Dustcat posted:

Presumably supply ramps up to meet demand - no demand? No need to supply.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

10/10, working hard!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Yeah it's this. Not an emptyquote.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Dustcat posted:

There's enough ventilators for those who could afford it. The rest....lol

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The rich already have access to privately-owned ventilators so there's no need to do anything.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Critical thinking processes have intentionally and actively been cut out of primary education for decades now.

They really haven't, and the generational gaps show if anything the total oppsite.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

boomers got lead brain

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Profit motive, ICUs are cash cows because of limited capacity. 65K ICU beds in total across the country.

There's a lot of cost that goes into just having an ICU bed as well and hospitals generally don't want to have empty beds.

Apr 7, 2003

Grape posted:

They really haven't, and the generational gaps show if anything the total oppsite.

Pardon me, the GOP has lobbied for years to cut critical thinking out of public education.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/post/texas-gop-rejects-critical-thinking-skills-really/2012/07/08/gJQAHNpFXW_blog.html

Apr 7, 2003

Nephzinho posted:

There's a lot of cost that goes into just having an ICU bed as well and hospitals generally don't want to have empty beds.

Hmm. Sounds like something that should be nationalized for the greater good, don't you think?

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Al-Saqr posted:

I really can only just close my eyes and shake my head here. But I will point out that we haven't really reached the actual crisis (this is kind of the thing about this virus, the effects of actions today don't appear for like a week and a half) and seeing pictures of full hospitals and accounts of people dying might change some minds. But at the end of the day he's going to say it's China's fault and all his cum-chugging goons are going to cross their arms and nod their heads and say that they should throw hillary into the mix.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

bollig posted:

I really can only just close my eyes and shake my head here. But I will point out that we haven't really reached the actual crisis (this is kind of the thing about this virus, the effects of actions today don't appear for like a week and a half) and seeing pictures of full hospitals and accounts of people dying might change some minds. But at the end of the day he's going to say it's China's fault and all his cum-chugging goons are going to cross their arms and nod their heads and say that they should throw hillary into the mix.
At the start of a crisis there is often a spike in support of the President (9/11 being the most striking example). As the crisis continues, support ebbs away, especially if the crisis is mishandled. The 1979 seizure of the US embassy in Tehran gave a big bump to Carter's approval rating, but that bled away over the next year (especially with the complete failure of the rescue mission) and became a huge liability once the election rolled around a year later.

This crisis hasn't even really begun. The optimistic scenarios are 1.1 million dead Americans by the end of the year - basically a 9/11 every single day until 2020 ends. We'll see just how much enthusiasm there is for God Emperor Of The US once that starts hitting.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Yeah well anywhere outside the Texas textbook no-go zone anyway.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

FMguru posted:

At the start of a crisis there is often a spike in support of the President (9/11 being the most striking example). As the crisis continues, support ebbs away, especially if the crisis is mishandled. The 1979 seizure of the US embassy in Tehran gave a big bump to Carter's approval rating, but that bled away over the next year (especially with the complete failure of the rescue mission) and became a huge liability once the election rolled around a year later.

This crisis hasn't even really begun. The optimistic scenarios are 1.1 million dead Americans by the end of the year - basically a 9/11 every single day until 2020 ends. We'll see just how much enthusiasm there is for God Emperor Of The US once that starts hitting.

42.5% approval rating

His supporters will basically just say it's not his fault. It was a virus what's he supposed to do?

When Trump spoke yesterday he said something like "well be fine so long as all Americans are smart and take precautions" and I was like "so we're hosed then?" I mean the bulk of his base is calling this a hoax, etc, etc.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

FMguru posted:

yes but it's going to be really key to hammer home how other countries have done better, otherwise it'll be easy to write off the suffering as unpreventable

otoh trump is incapable of behaving himself to unite the nation in a crisis so he's never going to get the full 9/11 "steady leadership" bump

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

yes but it's going to be really key to hammer home how other countries have done better, otherwise it'll be easy to write off the suffering as unpreventable

otoh trump is incapable of behaving himself to unite the nation in a crisis so he's never going to get the full 9/11 "steady leadership" bump

the election is going to hinge a lot more on Dem turnout than the Trumpstaffel, who are absolutely not within 6 months of turning on him. His base was already 95% the exact people who turn out to vote Republican every election no matter what and his national approval rating since taking office has been effectively a flat line the entire time, you could call his popular vote within half a mil right now.

I guess covid could turn out to selectively only kill chuds but given the dems are currently pivoting to exclusively appeal to old people lmfao

A Wizard of Goatse has issued a correction as of 17:27 on Mar 17, 2020

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Been waiting for this for 2 months

https://twitter.com/DjRodgers1231/s...ingawful.com%2F

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Have you adjusted for chuds being the most petty and stubborn pieces of poo poo imaginable who hold doorhandle-licking parties when told to isolate themselves and wash their hands?