Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

BrainDance posted:

This is kind of off topic, but it seems like the best place to post it.

I've been trying to play through every Zelda game, like, ever. The Game and Watch game (Not hard to find, but Zelda Gamewatch has been a bitch to track down, because every place I asks thinks I'm looking for the Game and Watch), the CD-I games, whatever is possible to play and is even loosely connected to Zelda I'll play.

So the other day I found out about this game "The Frog for Whom the Bell Tolls"

Not a Zelda game, never intended to be a Zelda game, but the engine was later used as the basis for Link's Awakening. Playing through it was neat because there was so much in it that reminded me of Link's Awakening. Sprites, music that at times sounds nearly identical, etc.

The biggest similarity is the character Richard, a prince who gets turned into a frog along with his army. Hes the same guy as the Richard in Link's Awakening who has a villa full of frogs.

At the end of the game he heads out to sea with his soldiers for adventure I guess

I like to think that this means they're a part of the same universe, and the place this game takes place on is just another island far from Hyrule like Holodrum or Labrynna. And while Richard was at sea he got mixed up in the Wind Fish's dream the same way Link did. I know that's not intended, but it's a fun connection to make.

Does anyone know of any other games that have any weird connections to the Zelda series like this that I may not have heard of? Because really I thought I knew everything about Zelda but I had never heard of this game until just a couple days ago. Of course there's the tingle games and other modern spinoffs, there's stuff like Link showing up in Mario RPG, but anything connected to the Zelda series in a really weird way like this game?

Link is in Super Mario RPG if that counts!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Hey, so I got the guardian shield from the Sofi Koh trial fight (minor test of strength), and was told that they easily reflect guardian laser shots. Just hold the shield up and it'll automatically deflect the beam.

I tried it and it didn't work. I didn't take damage, but the shield, which had been then-unused, broke.

What did I do wrong?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Hey, so I got the guardian shield from the Sofi Koh trial fight (minor test of strength), and was told that they easily reflect guardian laser shots. Just hold the shield up and it'll automatically deflect the beam.

I tried it and it didn't work. I didn't take damage, but the shield, which had been then-unused, broke.

What did I do wrong?

Ancient shields - the ones you buy from Robbie - auto-reflect, but guardian ones don't. Maybe they keep durability better, but I dunno the figures there.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Moose-Alini posted:

Yoshi, Kirby, goombas and chain chomps are all in Link's Awakening too, so I guess technically all Mario and Kirby games are in the Zeldaverse. Or in the Wind Fish's dream, at least...

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

What did I do wrong?
It will reflect beams- the tiny peashooter beams of guardian scouts, that is. Not guardian lasers and not even the big laser the scouts fire when their health gets low. It's quite a misleading description.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Moose-Alini posted:

lol

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Runcible Cat posted:

Ancient shields - the ones you buy from Robbie - auto-reflect, but guardian ones don't. Maybe they keep durability better, but I dunno the figures there.

Thanks! Off to Robbie, then!

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Anyone here get 100% korok seeds? That feat is crazy.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Hell no, pretty sure I finished with just over 5% and that was enough for me.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I could never get into shield surfing beyond some specific circumstances because paragliding doesn't degrade my items and OCD is a real fucker about some things.

I still get sad sometimes that I failed to be able to enjoy Majora's Mask.

Edit: I used to be LividLiquid, if any of you lived through my live-posting of that whole thing.

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 15, 2020

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Almost 3 years of me playing this game and I still get a thrill when I get a giant ancient core

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Breath_of_the_Wild/comments/fip1hd/for_those_of_you_who_dont_know_you_can_identify/

Well then...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Almost 3 years of me playing this game and I still get a thrill when I get a giant ancient core

Almost 3 years of playing this game and I finally stopped parrying guardian lasers and one day just ran up and chopped their legs off for the first time ever in hundreds of hours and now I’m the Hyrule Amputator :getin:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ok, so I'm like.... I don't know, only about 20-30 hours into the game, and I'm watching that video like whoa... the gear and speed... Holy poo poo.

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Finally caved and bought a Switch and my dumb rear end is going to 100% Breath of the Wild. I'm thinking Towers first, then Shrines to get max stamina, then Shrines for Hearts, then I'm going to probably go province by province clearing poo poo out or do whatever is most fun at the time. Is that a feasible way to do it? I know BotW is one of the ones that's a pain to 100%, but I'm still having fun even amidst the grind. It's like what Skyrim promised to do, except they actually did it. Hopefully I'm done by the time 2 drops.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Alvarez IV posted:

Finally caved and bought a Switch and my dumb rear end is going to 100% Breath of the Wild. I'm thinking Towers first, then Shrines to get max stamina, then Shrines for Hearts, then I'm going to probably go province by province clearing poo poo out or do whatever is most fun at the time. Is that a feasible way to do it? I know BotW is one of the ones that's a pain to 100%, but I'm still having fun even amidst the grind. It's like what Skyrim promised to do, except they actually did it. Hopefully I'm done by the time 2 drops.

That's roughly what I had fun doing, mostly just running around early on unlocking the towers as good view/travel points, but I also picked up shrines as I found em.

I also focused a lot on stamina, but I did a couple hearts early on just to get a bit more health buffer in. Not required if you're more competent at fighting than me.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
You may want more hearts earlier on in order to get a unique item.

There is also a way to swap your stamina and hearts and back if you want to prioritize stamina but still want the item early.

~Vague~

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Alvarez IV posted:

You might want to define 100% though.

100% of shrines and bosses/quests? Totally doable and fine.

100% of korok seeds? All 900 of them? Please don't torture yourself that way. There's a reason why the 100% speed runs of botw are 20+ HOURS long.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

DelphiAegis posted:

100% of korok seeds? All 900 of them? Please don't torture yourself that way. There's a reason why the 100% speed runs of botw are 20+ HOURS long.

Oh yeah, I hadn't thought that part through...I mentioned upthread I only got around 50 seeds, and that personally felt like it got me enough upgrades that I didn't feel cheated.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Approaching BotW in any way that could be called systemic just seems wrong to me, but to each their own.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ItBreathes posted:

Approaching BotW in any way that could be called systemic just seems wrong to me, but to each their own.

The only things I did that could be called systematic were finding my final shrine and my last 50 or so seeds

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Alvarez IV posted:

Sounds perfectly feasible; how long it'll last once you find yourself going "ooo, what's over there that looks interesting" is another matter!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Captain Hygiene posted:

That's roughly what I had fun doing, mostly just running around early on unlocking the towers as good view/travel points, but I also picked up shrines as I found em.

I also focused a lot on stamina, but I did a couple hearts early on just to get a bit more health buffer in. Not required if you're more competent at fighting than me.

This is what I did too and in retrospect the health upgrades aren't even that useful. Without good armor most things tougher than red bokoblins are going to 2-shot you whether you have 3 hearts or 5, might as well go all in on stamina.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
My one piece of advice for new players is, arrows stick into wooden shields.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Almost 3 years of playing this game and I finally stopped parrying guardian lasers and one day just ran up and chopped their legs off for the first time ever in hundreds of hours and now I’m the Hyrule Amputator :getin:
I didn't know parrying lasers was a thing until I watched a video and now I hunt guardians to use their parts for craft projects. I also rush in and amputate because that's just too much fun.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I don't think I parried a single thing until after j beat Gannon.

E:vvvvv one of them is being piss-poor at the combat

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 16, 2020

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ItBreathes posted:

I don't think I parried a single thing until after j beat Gannon.

you can play the game many ways

Did anyone else Cryonis blocks their way to eventide like WAY early in the game and find it a massive (awesome) challenge?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

The Bloop posted:

you can play the game many ways

Did anyone else Cryonis blocks their way to eventide like WAY early in the game and find it a massive (awesome) challenge?

Yep. Its how I found out you can do Eventide with like 0 combat because I was terrible at it and just ran around like crazy with the orbs.

I don't think I've ever killed the Hinox there every since I learned you can just steal the orb off him while he's sleeping if you paraglide onto him

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I knew little at that time. I'm pretty sure I slowly killed the Hinox by throwing bombs at it from the top of the cliff and kiting it downwards when it got close. Extremely tedious but simple.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Alvarez IV posted:

Hunting towers first is fun, but using the world map to figure out which zones you’ve explored based on what the towers illuminate is convenient (w/o hero’s path). Also if you go zone by zone and do a fair amount of a zone the enemies in the next zones (following the path the game guides you on) are usually appropriately difficult.

But there’s no wrong way! Bum rush the castle first and loot it if you want!

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Zore posted:

I don't think I've ever killed the Hinox there every since I learned you can just steal the orb off him while he's sleeping if you paraglide onto him

I keep trying that and I've never managed it. Tried to cut the cord, tried to sever it with an arrow, didn't try at all and just grabbed - he always wakes up and tries to stomp me.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Runcible Cat posted:

I keep trying that and I've never managed it. Tried to cut the cord, tried to sever it with an arrow, didn't try at all and just grabbed - he always wakes up and tries to stomp me.

Serpentine! Serpentine!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Woah, this is the first time I've seen anybody actually make it across the giant chasm (predictable results but still neat)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfYTYWqiZ7I

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I just noticed that if you have a torch equipped on Death Mountain it'll burst into flames like all your other wooden equipment, but it won't burn up or go out because it's a torch. So now my hobby is seeing how far off Death Mountain I can run while being on fire. I made it all the way to the Drenan Highlands before a rainstorm struck me for my hubris.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

BrainDance posted:

This is kind of off topic, but it seems like the best place to post it.

I've been trying to play through every Zelda game, like, ever. The Game and Watch game (Not hard to find, but Zelda Gamewatch has been a bitch to track down, because every place I asks thinks I'm looking for the Game and Watch), the CD-I games, whatever is possible to play and is even loosely connected to Zelda I'll play.

So the other day I found out about this game "The Frog for Whom the Bell Tolls"

Not a Zelda game, never intended to be a Zelda game, but the engine was later used as the basis for Link's Awakening. Playing through it was neat because there was so much in it that reminded me of Link's Awakening. Sprites, music that at times sounds nearly identical, etc.

The biggest similarity is the character Richard, a prince who gets turned into a frog along with his army. Hes the same guy as the Richard in Link's Awakening who has a villa full of frogs.

At the end of the game he heads out to sea with his soldiers for adventure I guess

I like to think that this means they're a part of the same universe, and the place this game takes place on is just another island far from Hyrule like Holodrum or Labrynna. And while Richard was at sea he got mixed up in the Wind Fish's dream the same way Link did. I know that's not intended, but it's a fun connection to make.

Does anyone know of any other games that have any weird connections to the Zelda series like this that I may not have heard of? Because really I thought I knew everything about Zelda but I had never heard of this game until just a couple days ago. Of course there's the tingle games and other modern spinoffs, there's stuff like Link showing up in Mario RPG, but anything connected to the Zelda series in a really weird way like this game?

I believe there was a trophy for Richard in Melee, or one of the Smash games that explained this so I had no clue until years later. Ever since though I was interested in the game, is it good? I never got around to playing it but this post makes me thing I should get on that now.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Does 100 percenting the game mean getting all the korok seeds? Even if you offered 100 pounds of crack to a crackhead for getting all korok seeds, it still wouldn't be done.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

sigher posted:

I believe there was a trophy for Richard in Melee, or one of the Smash games that explained this so I had no clue until years later. Ever since though I was interested in the game, is it good? I never got around to playing it but this post makes me thing I should get on that now.

It's good with a big asterisk. The game feels a little clunky compared to LA in a lot of ways, you can tell a lot of improvements were made to the engine before it became Zelda. Like, for example a thing that annoyed me a little bit, say you're in a house and you're holding down on the D-Pad to go through the door, screen transition to the city and you're still holding down, your character will not keep walking down on the new screen. You gotta raise your thumb and press down again to keep walking. So minor but I have no idea why it's like that.

The battle system of the game is not like Zelda much at all. It's trying to be more like an RPG but at the same time it's not. I really don't know what to call it. You don't actually fight things, you just walk into them and then it automatically starts an animation and then your speed/health stats determines if you're gonna win or not. There are only two battles I can remember where you have any actual input into the fight once it starts, a boss where you use one item to make the enemy stagger and another item to finish the battle. And then the final boss has some actual arpg real time battle mechanics in his final form (sort of a timing minigame.)

There is no leveling, so really no grinding. Stats are upgraded by finding some special items in chests. There aren't too many and so the game is overall pretty easy. The dungeons are purely side scrolling like the few side scrolling parts of LA. The only time you should grind is when you first get the ability to transform into frog or snake. You end up at a town that sells eggs and fruit. The game tells you flat out that you should consider buying some eggs and fruit, listen to the game, go kill a bunch of bugs for coins and max out your eggs and fruit. It makes the rest of the game way less annoying.

It is a lot more linear than LA, the world is not as big, the game is very short (I beat it in 2 days, you can probably beat it in 1). Sometimes it's a little confusing where to go next but there are only so many places and they're not far from each other so this wasn't too big of a problem. It's on og gb game so a lot of this is sorta expected.

The story though is wild. I don't even know what to make of it. It's not cliche and was interesting enough to keep me playing through the game to find out where it was all going. It's the kind of plot I don't want to say too much about because I wouldn't want to spoil it. But, I had just finished Final Fantasy Adventure to get the first 3 SoM games done, and compared to that the story in this game is a masterpiece. I'm not sure how the original Japanese is, and the only way to play this in English is with an unofficial translation patch but assuming the patch is somewhat faithful then this game some really, really good writing. It has a very HAL Labs vibe.

I think the game just really wanted to tell its story and show its world more than anything, so the mechanics took a back seat to all that. All in all, it's a gameboy game and all that comes with that, but if you can get past that it's not a huge investment and totally worth playing.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ChocNitty posted:

Does 100 percenting the game mean getting all the korok seeds? Even if you offered 100 pounds of crack to a crackhead for getting all korok seeds, it still wouldn't be done.

Yeah, each seed adds to your total percentage.

BrainDance posted:

It's good with a big asterisk.

Thanks for the info, the story part really piqued my interested and I want to know more but I'll definitely play it through myself now. I'm curious as to where that goes, and I'm curious if the trophy in Melee spoiled it but I can't remember what the trophy even said.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

BrainDance posted:

not zelda stuff

That's awesome, thanks, I've known some generalities about the game for a while but that's way more than I've ever seen :tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

sigher posted:

If you can put up with a little bit of Old Game Jank, it's very good. Definitely give it a play-through, it's super cool to see a non-Zelda game made by the Link's Awakening crew.