Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Also my mind wandered earlier while thinking about population density and the claim that 500 people per square kilometre was "crowded". To the best of my back-of-the-envelope capabilities, 500 people/km^2 is 8 people in an area the size of the pitch at the Oval (17,000 m^2) - in other words just over half as crowded as a cricket pitch during a game (including umpires). That's a lot of space to stretch out.

An average football pitch is 7,500 m^2 - with 22 players and a ref (the assistants are of course outside the pitch) that's a density of 3,000 people per square kilometre, or about the same as the most suburban of the London suburbs.

A tennis court in a singles match has a population density of 10,223 people per square kilometre, about the same as an average inner London borough - in a doubles match that goes up to 15,340 (it's not double because the doubles court is larger of course) which would put it between Hackney and Tower Hamlets (3rd and 2nd most densely-populated local authorities in the country).

To get up to the density of Marsh Wall/Millharbour on the Isle of Dogs (~75k/km^2) the only sport I could think of was volleyball, which with ten players on a court of 162 square metres has a density of 61,728/km^2 - I can't think of any sports that have a more crowded playing area than that off the top of my head.

I've not really got a point to make about this other than as an interesting way of visualising what those differing densities mean. Also I discovered, while working out the numbers for a couple of examples (I really wanted one that was around the 7.5k mark that most urban areas top out at) that a lot of sports average out around the same kind of density (rugby, gridiron and association football are all similar despite different numbers of players and basketball, futsal, handball and most other indoor sports all come out around the same as doubles tennis despite very different backgrounds). Anyway that's what I did instead of work for the last half hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Wachter posted:

My mother-in-law has been sent home from work because her damaged vocal cords (unrelated to COVID-19; she is symptomless) are scaring customers. They're refusing to pay her anything because she's not self-isolating, she's just been told she can't work :fuckoff:

What can she do?
She should speak to an employment law professional (or her union if she is in one) I suppose, but it sounds a lot like she is being discriminated against by her employer because of a disability?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Also my mind wandered earlier while thinking about population density and the claim that 500 people per square kilometre was "crowded". To the best of my back-of-the-envelope capabilities, 500 people/km^2 is 8 people in an area the size of the pitch at the Oval (17,000 m^2) - in other words just over half as crowded as a cricket pitch during a game (including umpires). That's a lot of space to stretch out.

An average football pitch is 7,500 m^2 - with 22 players and a ref (the assistants are of course outside the pitch) that's a density of 3,000 people per square kilometre, or about the same as the most suburban of the London suburbs.

A tennis court in a singles match has a population density of 10,223 people per square kilometre, about the same as an average inner London borough - in a doubles match that goes up to 15,340 (it's not double because the doubles court is larger of course) which would put it between Hackney and Tower Hamlets (3rd and 2nd most densely-populated local authorities in the country).

To get up to the density of Marsh Wall/Millharbour on the Isle of Dogs (~75k/km^2) the only sport I could think of was volleyball, which with ten players on a court of 162 square metres has a density of 61,728/km^2 - I can't think of any sports that have a more crowded playing area than that off the top of my head.

I've not really got a point to make about this other than as an interesting way of visualising what those differing densities mean. Also I discovered, while working out the numbers for a couple of examples (I really wanted one that was around the 7.5k mark that most urban areas top out at) that a lot of sports average out around the same kind of density (rugby, gridiron and association football are all similar despite different numbers of players and basketball, futsal, handball and most other indoor sports all come out around the same as doubles tennis despite very different backgrounds). Anyway that's what I did instead of work for the last half hour.

It's probably important to note when thinking about this kind of thing that densities are very rarely uniform, though.

The low-density areas still crowd people in relatively tightly, they just have LOTS of entirely-unoccupied spaces.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Boxing has three people in about 25m^2

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I can't think of any sports that have a more crowded playing area than that off the top of my head.

Sumo has something like 120,000/km^2 and that’s without taking the size of the participants into question.

e: arm wrestling probably wins if your definitions of “sport” and “playing area” are loose enough

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

Zone 4 technically Essex krew

I will say, at least I'm saving about £7.50 a day on my commute while I'm working from home!

If you're zone 4 you're not technically Essex, you're London and have been since the establishment of Greater London. In fact if you're zone *anything* you're in London, it's not called Transport for London And Places That Were Outside London in 1964 And Desperately Cling To Two-Letter Postcodes To Pretend They Still Are So They Don't Have To Have Darkies Move In*.

*I'm looking at you too, places inside the M25 calling themselves "Surrey", and don't even get me loving started on places still calling themselves Middlesex. And yes, I also include the areas beyond Zone 6 - gently caress you Watford, you're a suburb, get used to it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Do e-sports have infinitely high or insanely low density? And when will we start broadcasting e-sports on Soy Sports one?

E: I obviously meant Sky sports but I'm keeping that typo

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

If you're zone 4 you're not technically Essex, you're London and have been since the establishment of Greater London. In fact if you're zone *anything* you're in London, it's not called Transport for London And Places That Were Outside London in 1964 And Desperately Cling To Two-Letter Postcodes To Pretend They Still Are So They Don't Have To Have Darkies Move In*.

My IG postcode says different :colbert:

(The darkies still moved in. I'm married to her ;p)

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

goddamnedtwisto posted:

*I'm looking at you too, places inside the M25 calling themselves "Surrey", and don't even get me loving started on places still calling themselves Middlesex. And yes, I also include the areas beyond Zone 6 - gently caress you Watford, you're a suburb, get used to it.

I live in Surrey within the M25 and I definitely wouldn't call where I live London

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

loving finally closing the schools. Christ, Sturgeon has been so bad during this whole thing, just going along with Boris' insane murderous plans.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Wachter posted:

My mother-in-law has been sent home from work because her damaged vocal cords (unrelated to COVID-19; she is symptomless) are scaring customers. They're refusing to pay her anything because she's not self-isolating, she's just been told she can't work :fuckoff:

What can she do?

That's completely out of order. They should have found her something else to do that didn't involve talking to people if it's a temporary thing. Do you mind if I ask where she was working and if she's in a union?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
A WWF royal rumble has ~30 wrestlers in an area how ever big a wrestling ring is.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

So how about that Brexit?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

In which case you either live in somewhere beginning with the words "LONDON Borough of", or you're a wildman living in Epping Forest (not, I admit, impossible) in which case you actually technically live in the City of London and so are going against the wall. Either way, you're in London, deal with it, here's your jellied eels.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

feedmegin posted:

Maybe this is just me but the fact that you are (still??) constantly posting about how you married a black woman is really loving weird

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

thespaceinvader posted:

It's probably important to note when thinking about this kind of thing that densities are very rarely uniform, though.

The low-density areas still crowd people in relatively tightly, they just have LOTS of entirely-unoccupied spaces.
Yeah, it's this. Half the perimeter is privately enclosed fields and so even small places can feel a bit crowded towards the middle, the distribution of that density is more like:

Or maybe I'm being hyperbolic :dadjoke:

Failed Imagineer posted:

Do e-sports have infinitely high or insanely low density? And when will we start broadcasting e-sports on Soy Sports one?

E: I obviously meant Sky sports but I'm keeping that typo
:vince:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

fridge corn posted:

I live in Surrey within the M25 and I definitely wouldn't call where I live London

What colour are your buses?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

gently caress me, I'm seeing some small transactions on my statements over the last few days that weren't me. And of course my bank isn't answering the phone at the moment.

People are going to seriously take advantage of this situation.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

NotJustANumber99 posted:

A WWF royal rumble has ~30 wrestlers in an area how ever big a wrestling ring is.

We had a wrestling game on the ps1 in the 6th form common room back in the day

you used to be able to leap out of the room and run into the changing rooms/backstage area and transport all the other players with you

i wasn't invited to play it after figuring that out

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

fridge corn posted:

Maybe this is just me but the fact that you are (still??) constantly posting about how you married a black woman is really loving weird

You have an odd definition of 'constantly', I feel.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

stev posted:

gently caress me, I'm seeing some small transactions on my statements over the last few days that weren't me. And of course my bank isn't answering the phone at the moment.

soz man, gotta have grindr pro

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Oodles posted:

https://twitter.com/lynseybews/status/1240268811770761216?s=20

the gently caress do I do with my kids for 4 months.

Eat them when supplies start getting low?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

goddamnedtwisto posted:

What colour are your buses?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAusbJmRB0c

Interesting video about why London begins and ends where it does, although like I say if you're using TfL services you're in both London and denial.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Red enough, London.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Density of people chat:

If you get 7 people in a square metre, they start to behave like a fluid and follow 'fluid dynamics with a brain' which is why people who say they wouldn't stampede at, say, an extremely crowded football match or hajj are talking out of their asses because they would have NO CHOICE. (Also why I don't go down the front at gigs and get in the mosh pit).

quote:

▪ Abstract The modern study of a crowd as a flowing continuum is a recent development. Distinct from a classical fluid because of the property that a crowd has the capacity to think, interesting new physical ideas are involved in its study. An appealing property of a crowd in motion is that the nonlinear, time-dependent, simultaneous equations representing a crowd are conformably mappable. This property makes many interesting applications analytically tractable. In this review examples are given in which the theory has been used to provide possible assistance in the annual Muslim Hajj, to understand the Battle of Agincourt, and, surprisingly, to locate barriers that actually increase the flow of pedestrians above that when there are no barriers present. Modern developments may help prevent some of the approximately two thousand deaths that annually occur in accidents owing to crowding.The field of crowd motion, that is, the field of “thinking fluids,” is an intriguing area of research with great promise.

source: annualreviews.org/doi/abs/10.1146/annurev.fluid.35.101101.161136

(Crowds/fluid dynamics are little side interests of mine).

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Imagine if there were 23 kangaroos per football pitch. I think even Londoners might feel that was overdoing it.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

fluid dynamics

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Red enough, London.

what the

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

stev posted:

Do you have an app for your bank? You should be able to freeze the card if you're suspicious of some activity there. Last month some knobhead got my card details somehow and spent £700 at Ebuyer and Dunelm. I got the money back okay from the bank's fraud department, but definitely a kegs-making GBS threads moment to experience.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
My wife was fanatical about Criminal Minds when I first met her, so I started watching it with her. Later on it gets to CSI: Miami levels of ludicrous dumbassery, but the early seasons... :stare: Basically each episode starts by introducing us to a nice suburban family. Who are then brutally and graphically terrorised and slaughtered by the serial killer of the week. Original star Mandy Patinkin quit because it just got too much for him.

His character was later horribly murdered in a 'there's his body, but we can't quite see his face' way for some cheap Sweeps Week drama.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAusbJmRB0c

Interesting video about why London begins and ends where it does, although like I say if you're using TfL services you're in both London and denial.
An even more interesting question would be 'When'.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Payndz posted:

My wife was fanatical about Criminal Minds when I first met her, so I started watching it with her. Later on it gets to CSI: Miami levels of ludicrous dumbassery, but the early seasons... :stare: Basically each episode starts by introducing us to a nice suburban family. Who are then brutally and graphically terrorised and slaughtered by the serial killer of the week. Original star Mandy Patinkin quit because it just got too much for him.

His character was later horribly murdered in a 'there's his body, but we can't quite see his face' way for some cheap Sweeps Week drama.

Re CSI Miami. I always thought Alexx Woods (played by Khandi Alexander) had the most lovely personality of just about everyone on tv.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Deal with it and get learning the Lambeth Walk (Oi!)

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Red enough, London.

Watford buses are blue :colbert:

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

"New York State reports 1,106 new cases overnight. Bringing total to 2,480. Total death is at 16."

Looks like New York is about to pop off Lombardia style

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

London is everything inside the M25, bing bong so simple

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

bionic vapour boy posted:

Watford buses are blue :colbert:

See that roundel? It's not called the Hertfordshire Underground, is it? You're in London, time to develop a chirpy persona even while the bombs are dropping.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

TheRat posted:

"New York State reports 1,106 new cases overnight. Bringing total to 2,480. Total death is at 16."

Looks like New York is about to pop off Lombardia style

lol they are like little baby

we got less than 2000 cases and 71 deaths

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

goddamnedtwisto posted:

See that roundel? It's not called the Hertfordshire Underground, is it? You're in London, time to develop a chirpy persona even while the bombs are dropping.
I think I'm beginning to see how confused foreigners who've once taken a weekend trip to see Tower Bridge and a couple museums believe that everywhere in the UK is England and everywhere in England is London.