Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Communist Thoughts posted:

As for being a pessimist, I think it's possible something good comes of all this but this past year I've just found myself flabbergasted again and again by the insurmountable power and ignorance of our government and media in shaping the discourse. So I'm not convinced that can be overcome. I reckon bojo may quit though.

One good thing I hope will come out of it is that we finish as a closer group society.

The turbo capitalism we're cursed with relies heavily on individualism irrespective of the needs of the wider group - 'Oh you want to be special, let me sell you that, please ignore all the crying orphans who made etc etc.'

Have been pleased to see Momentum, my local CLP, churches, neighbours and even my son's nursery throw themselves into trying to feed the vulnerable locally.

My son's nursery should be flying the red flag at this point,. Got an email that said' We're having to close but have built up reserves so will continue to pay our staff, we're now collecting food and using well staff who are avaliable as runners to take it to the elderly and vulnerable, please donate and notify us where you are aware there is someone elderly or struggling.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

learnincurve posted:

Am I the only one who will admit to using those blue chemical pellets everywhere, and then having bird feeders with blue chemical pellets going in a circle round the base?

I have a ongoing snail infestation and switched to vindictive chemical warfare after one year of playing nice.

Broken egg-shells are meant to do the trick. Onions/orange peel to deter cats. I've seen some deer in my garden this week, I wonder how long it'll take nature to come roaring back with everyone staying in.

I have a real urge to rewatch the original Survivors series on BBC (think some is available on YouTube). It's about a virus that came from China and the quick plummet of society into survivor mode. This video was posted in 2012 and asked if it predicted 2020, spooky!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH6us7DLaRk

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

justcola posted:

Broken egg-shells are meant to do the trick. Onions/orange peel to deter cats. I've seen some deer in my garden this week, I wonder how long it'll take nature to come roaring back with everyone staying in.

I've seen quite a few tweets about city centers getting invaded by boars/deer because there are no people around to keep them out.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

OwlFancier posted:

I've seen quite a few tweets about city centers getting invaded by boars/deer because there are no people around to keep them out.

That's just how the rural USA operates without covid-19

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

justcola posted:

I have a real urge to rewatch the original Survivors series on BBC (think some is available on YouTube). It's about a virus that came from China and the quick plummet of society into survivor mode. This video was posted in 2012 and asked if it predicted 2020, spooky!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH6us7DLaRk

Used coffee grounds are also good at keeping slugs and snails away. Cafés practically give the stuff away and as an added bonus it is adding more mulch to your soil ultimately!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Miftan posted:

That's just how the rural USA operates without covid-19

I think it was mostly in italy :v:

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
In a way we are deeply fortunate that the COVID-19 lockdowns don't seem to need to last dramatically longer than the isolation period of two weeks itself, provided that the lockdown successfully achieves containment -

quote:

Capriano (2006) described solidarity as the degree of trust, sense of familiarity, and bonding relations between individuals and the collectivity. Social solidarity is an aspect of human association that emphasizes the cohesive social bond that holds a group together (Gilson 2003). Individuals have different motives for participating in demonstrations of solidarity. Motives for participating in social solidarity include rational choice, self-interest, shared norms and beliefs. Using a sample of Virginia Tech students, Hawdon, Ryan and Agnich (2009) found that feelings of solidarity increased for six months following the 2007 on campus shooting that cost 30 lives before decreasing back to normal levels. Collins (2004), looking primarily at terrorism, further specified that group solidarity following a conflict exists in four phases: (1) an initial few days of shock and idiosyncratic individual reaction to attack; (2) one to two weeks of establishing standardized displays of solidarity symbols; (3) two to three months of high solidarity plateau; and (4) gradual decline toward normalcy in six to nine months. Brenner et al. (2015) found that proximity to a traumatic event increased likelihood of participation in demonstrations of solidarity. Sweet (1998) found that solidarity also increased following a natural disaster, however, within a month it returned to pre-disaster levels. Hawdon and Ryan (2011) elaborated on their initial study by using longitudinal data and found that event-specific parochial and public activities generate solidarity but general parochial activities (such as attending local meetings and businesses) are needed to sustain solidarity...

handy summary I picked out from a dissertation: https://stars.library.ucf.edu/etd/6765/

With widespread disruptions to economic livelihoods, tornadoes are probably a better reference than mass shootings

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

So what you're saying is that we need a fat French bloke with a big moustache and we'll never be short of food?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

learnincurve posted:

Am I the only one who will admit to using those blue chemical pellets everywhere, and then having bird feeders with blue chemical pellets going in a circle round the base?

I have a ongoing snail infestation and switched to vindictive chemical warfare after one year of playing nice.

Get some chickens they love slug and snail eggs

w0o0o0o
Aug 26, 2007
bloop.
Two years ago I got Romesh Ranganathan tickets as a birthday present, that were accidentally booked for April 2020 rather than 2019. It has now been postponed until April 2021. By the time I get to go and see him I'll have been waiting almost 1/10th of my natural born life.

A coworker went to one his gigs earlier this month and said it was 'banging'. He has a poo poo headset though so his staticy rear end can go gently caress itself each and every daily standup.

That's my coronavirus self-isolation story, thanks for reading.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Jose posted:

Get some chickens they love slug and snail eggs

I asked the council a question about keeping chickens and accidentally got permission to keep 8 chickens!

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
People need permission for that?!?

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Maugrim posted:

:siren: The UKMT Solidarity Fund is now live! :siren:

Wow, this is a great idea!

One thought about the constitution - I guess the numbers may always remain small and manageable, but on the offchance it blows up and you get tens or even hundreds of donations, 5(2)(d) might get a bit onerous - working out whose donations have not yet been spent and actually processing large numbers of refunds could become quite burdensome. Potentially a blanket donation of remaining funds to something like a food bank or homelessness charity could be a substitute?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Failed Imagineer posted:

this isn't germane to the main point of your post, but there's a lot to be said for buying a load of weed and baking yourself some super powerful brownies. it only takes like an hour and leaves your lungs completely intact, plus you can go on some pretty exciting journeys while pinned to your couch

Sorry to go back to this post, but I just wanted to say something about this as a lawyer.

Now all of this is said with the caveat that I practice* in Ireland but I imagine that the UK laws on this subject are similar to Irelands Misuse of Drugs Act 1977.

But the difference between possession simpliciter and possession with intent to sell or supply almost always comes down to the value of the drugs.** There is no hard rule for what value of drugs makes it go from S3 (possession) to S.15 (sale or supply) but I have been told anecdotally it is €1,500.***
Simply put, if you a caught with a small amount of any drugs you will probably only be charged with possession.
If you are caught with your personal stash that you have been hoarding for the end of days, they will probably charge you with intent to sell or supply.

Then you have to run the defence of "yes I had a stash of drugs, but they were all for me." And that is one with a pretty low success rate.

If you are worried that the fuzz may come over at some point and "hilariously" walk into your closet with your stash like a 90's sitcom, you could consider putting a note on the bag saying "my personal stash. Not for sale or supply."

You are creating evidence that incriminates you for one crime, but at the same time providing evidence to defend against a more serious crime.

* rnot so much right this minute. I'm keeping clear of the courts to avoid getting effected, even with the latest guidelines.

** = They can take other factors into account so even if you had a small amount of drugs the State can try and prove you were a dealer by relying on things like notebooks you have with amounts and peoples name (tick lists) or mobile phones with dodgy text messages. It makes sense.
Relying on the fact you had weighing scales less so.
That you had stuff like cellophane, string or the dreaded brown paper is really dumb. But that's how the law is.

*** = Definitely don't have more than €13,000 of drugs. Then it goes to a possible life sentence with a mandatory minimum sentence of 10 years. But this may be unique to Ireland, I don't know if the UK has a version of S.15A

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Is anyone else really struggling to enjoy the TV/films/books/games that we now have time to enjoy? I can't concentrate on anything at all other than the news.

I wanted to catch up on the last few episodes of Avenue 5 but it's not loving funny anymore.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Getting a lot of questions already answered by my "all the drugs are for personal use" t shirt.

stev posted:

Is anyone else really struggling to enjoy the TV/films/books/games that we now have time to enjoy?

I wanted to catch up on the last few episodes of Avenue 5 but it's not loving funny anymore.

NOPE I'm having a whale of a time conquering the empire as vampires and have literally done games as my primary and almost sole form of recreation for like four fifths of my life and it does not get old!

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

The Question IRL posted:

Sorry to go back to this post, but I just wanted to say something about this as a lawyer.

Now all of this is said with the caveat that I practice* in Ireland but I imagine that the UK laws on this subject are similar to Irelands Misuse of Drugs Act 1977.

But the difference between possession simpliciter and possession with intent to sell or supply almost always comes down to the value of the drugs.** There is no hard rule for what value of drugs makes it go from S3 (possession) to S.15 (sale or supply) but I have been told anecdotally it is €1,500.***
Simply put, if you a caught with a small amount of any drugs you will probably only be charged with possession.
If you are caught with your personal stash that you have been hoarding for the end of days, they will probably charge you with intent to sell or supply.

Then you have to run the defence of "yes I had a stash of drugs, but they were all for me." And that is one with a pretty low success rate.

If you are worried that the fuzz may come over at some point and "hilariously" walk into your closet with your stash like a 90's sitcom, you could consider putting a note on the bag saying "my personal stash. Not for sale or supply."

You are creating evidence that incriminates you for one crime, but at the same time providing evidence to defend against a more serious crime.

* rnot so much right this minute. I'm keeping clear of the courts to avoid getting effected, even with the latest guidelines.

** = They can take other factors into account so even if you had a small amount of drugs the State can try and prove you were a dealer by relying on things like notebooks you have with amounts and peoples name (tick lists) or mobile phones with dodgy text messages. It makes sense.
Relying on the fact you had weighing scales less so.
That you had stuff like cellophane, string or the dreaded brown paper is really dumb. But that's how the law is.

*** = Definitely don't have more than €13,000 of drugs. Then it goes to a possible life sentence with a mandatory minimum sentence of 10 years. But this may be unique to Ireland, I don't know if the UK has a version of S.15A

Do not even own particularly strong onions lest the coppers in England think you are going to use it to get high.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The Question IRL posted:

... thanks for the legal advice Mr Hutz.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Depends on the area, you do round here because they want to send a man round to check you have enough space for a house and run and that it won’t be too close to others*, cockerels are banned as well. I would guess they are dealing with noise complaints in advance.

*Had an inspection already because I had to get planning permission for a massive shed.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Depends but there are often local bylaws in towns and cities dating back to the industrial Revolution restricting keeping of chickens, pigs and goats for hygiene reasons.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol

https://twitter.com/SteffanBlayney/status/1240562656777469953?s=19

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
Any recommendations for a solid 2-player phone puzzle game? I was gonna suggest a game of words with friends whilst on lockdown but it seems that game is now riddled with ads.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Necrothatcher posted:

... thanks for the legal advice Mr Hutz.

my personal stash? not! for sale and supply!

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

stev posted:

Is anyone else really struggling to enjoy the TV/films/books/games that we now have time to enjoy? I can't concentrate on anything at all other than the news.

I have a bit of cultural ennui at the moment too, so I've tried doing more productive stuff with my hands. Have a walk around your house and make a list of all the wee jobs that need doing, check you have the right tools for them and give that a go?

If that's not your cup of tea, you could learn CG? Blender is a free tool that's come on a long way last few years, you can do pretty much anything (modelling, sculpting, animation, texturing, compositing etc. etc.) https://www.blender.org/

Whilst I've been ill I've found watching Twitch has been quite mind-numbingly satisfying. It's like the radio mixed with games, gosh. (Twitch is Praxis?) If I hadn't just got rid of my keyboard I'd be learning that. I have a strange urge to learn how to bake, though I don't have ingredients or like cake even.

Also, give the news a break for a bit. Like giving up anything, wean yourself off by having set times you'll indulge and stick to that.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

My mum is starting to take this coronavirus thing seriously. If I want to visit I can't have gone to the cinema or gym that day and the first thing I have to do when I go in the house is wash my hands. Which seems reasonable to me considering shes in a vulnerable group though one of my brothers had a grumble about it.

bump_fn posted:

how is weed not legal on this stupid island yet

is it even legalised in scotland

Someone once said marijuana to me and now I have a 10 pint a day heroine habit.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Just found out that one of my friend's relatives was one of the Welsh patients who died this week. Said friend is now trying to run a GP surgery practically on her own with no receptionists or secretaries. :(

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

stev posted:

Anhedonia loving sucks but to answer your question, hell no. I've read 10 Sharpe books in under a month. It slaps

If you actually want something to do, do you use Duolingo? I've been learning Russian for the past 2 months and while there are flaws with learning grammar etc (I might buy an old fashioned textbook as an aid) I'm finding it deeply satisfying to just set aside 20-30 minutes either when I get up or in the evening to yell "Does he have your book?" in a different language at my phone.

If you do it make sure you have a notepad handy so you can write down what you've learned.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Mar 19, 2020

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

stev posted:

I'm having a hard time being productive working from home because of all the news and tweets, and I'm having a hard time enjoying games and books because I feel bad about not being productive at work (I'm a postdoc researcher so I do kinda care about what I do).
Yea even in zombie films they get to go to the Winchester. gently caress, even the people who get bit in zombie films know its bad and try to hide it; we need a film with some gammon boasting about all the zombie bites he got to own the libs

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

bump_fn posted:

how is weed not legal on this stupid island yet

is it even legalised in scotland

Up till 2018 the minister in charge of drugs was Victoria Atkins. Victoria Atkins is married to Paul Kenward, Paul Kenward is the managing director of British Sugar, British Sugar is the only company with a licence to grow cannabis for medical/research purposes in the UK.

Labour leadership chat: I finally got my ballot stuff, I've gone with RLB/Burgon followed by Butler, but I don't know much about NEC candidates, who is and who is not a poo poo? I'm looking at Townsend and one other atm but don't know who.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Question IRL posted:

The best defence I ever heard was a chemist caught with a bunch of MDMA who claimed that he was researching a novel antihistamine where one of the precursors happened to be MDMA, that he made, and they just so happened to raid his home lab at the moment that he'd made it and was waiting to do step 2.

This was in the 90s when everyone assumed MDMA was only sold to the masses in pill form, so lack of a pill press or capsuling machine was taken as enough evidence to throw the whole thing out, because it introduced sufficient doubt over whether the possession was meant for administration to a human or animal. That there was no specific exemption around this in the 1971 act, but everyone behaved as if there was, is part of what led to the Misuse of Drug Regulations 2001, which clarified that, no, you can't just have a bunch of drugs lying around because you plan to turn them into something else, unless you're a university lab. Or making potpourri.

The Question IRL posted:

No formal fixed value in written law, but any amount of class A drugs, which is based on some absolute nonsense that includes the drug toads, coca leaves, and dried poppy heads when not for potpourri use but excludes barbiturates and amphetamine, can lead to a life sentence if intent to supply can be proven.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

stev posted:

Is anyone else really struggling to enjoy the TV/films/books/games that we now have time to enjoy?

Very common with anxiety, friend. After a double bereavement I basically stopped being able to read whole books for a few years, on and off. I only have two recommendations: first, if you do find something that can distract you, don't feel guilty about doing it all the time. I have played Dragon Age Inquisition so often the sight of it makes me sick now, but it was there for me when I needed it. Secondly, doing some tiny chore that gives a sense of achievement first can help prepare your brain to accept enjoyment, or mine anyway.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Prince John posted:

Wow, this is a great idea!

One thought about the constitution - I guess the numbers may always remain small and manageable, but on the offchance it blows up and you get tens or even hundreds of donations, 5(2)(d) might get a bit onerous - working out whose donations have not yet been spent and actually processing large numbers of refunds could become quite burdensome. Potentially a blanket donation of remaining funds to something like a food bank or homelessness charity could be a substitute?

This is a good idea, thanks! It wouldn't be as onerous as you say because we don't consider individual donations as being "spent" so it would be calculated purely from total amounts donated, but there are some odd possible outcomes (such as someone who donated £5 in the past being the only reclaimant and getting £2000 back). Giving to charity is a better bet.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Necrothatcher posted:

Just found out that one of my friend's relatives was one of the Welsh patients who died this week. Said friend is now trying to run a GP surgery practically on her own with no receptionists or secretaries. :(

I'm sorry to hear that. That's a lot of work they've put on their shoulders.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Someone nicely summed up the "flattening the curve for a few weeks is BS and we're not going back to normal anytime soon" discussion we've been having on and off in the thread.

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/...tent=2020-03-19

Good link to send your relatives if they're still being shits.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Necrothatcher posted:

They've decided that clerical staff are non-essential. This is like a university deciding it doesn't need a librarian.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Thanks for the brain-occupying advice, friends. I'm definitely going to put a stop to the 24 hour news coverage.

Hopefully Animal Crossing will do the job.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Jedit posted:

They've decided that clerical staff are non-essential. This is like a university deciding it doesn't need a librarian.

That is ridiculous!

Very sorry for your friend's colleague.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Mebh posted:

Someone nicely summed up the "flattening the curve for a few weeks is BS and we're not going back to normal anytime soon" discussion we've been having on and off in the thread.

I'll be honest, I'd lean towards just letting people die - in fact would happily die myself - rather than dealing with the future that article lays out, and that's speaking as a perpetual shutin nerd. Ubiquitous tracing of everywhere I have ever been, random denial of entry to places because I might have crossed paths with someone 3 days ago, complete shutdown of in-person socialising every time there's 31 days in a month? That's loving *ridiculous* unless there's something they know about this disease that we don't.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mebh posted:

quote:

We’ll adapt to and accept such measures, much as we’ve adapted to increasingly stringent airport security screenings in the wake of terrorist attacks. The intrusive surveillance will be considered a small price to pay for the basic freedom to be with other people.
As someone at a higher than average risk of dying from this, this article makes quite a compelling case for death.

I do like the more legroom at the cinema idea though. So we'll get the nightmare fash cellphone thing and not that, because Home Secretary Priti Patel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Yep, nightmare fash time. Yay.

Seriously what the gently caress happened in this timeline?