Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Cornyn is extra dumb calling out cultures that eat anything. He was born in Houston, he's for sure been around Cajuns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

Hadlock posted:

New Orleans chat:

New Orleans the city shut down yeah and flooded to heck

However half the city either left just before, or in the weeks after, moved permanently to (80%) Houston (15%) Dallas and (5%) other parts of Louisiana. Katrina was bad for New Orleans, but had zero impact on the surrounding cities, except a bunch of funny-talkin' people hanging out at the bus stops for about 6 months afterwards

Yeah but realistically NYC only shut down for what 6 days? The subway was only flooded for 2-3 days? If you were more than three miles from the coast or estuaries, Sandy didn't directly impact anyone.

Honestly, so far, I'm enjoying the experience way more than Sandy, where I lived in NJ, our power was only out 9 days. Some people were out over 2 weeks. That was 9 days of cold showers (for us; some friends were still on septic, and had no running water at all. Good luck flushing), no heat, no hot food (electric stove), and no light, no work, and no internet. And the day after we got the power back, there was a huge snowstorm that took it out again.

And yeah, the grocery stores had huge empty sections, because they had to throw out all the perishable goods. And there were gas shortages. It got to the point where gas had to rationed, and you could only buy it based on the last number of your license plate and the day of the week.
There are still people who were unable to return to their homes because of the destruction and financial devestation.

More recently, 80% of Puerto Rico lost power, up til 11 months, after hurricane Maria. They're currently struggling with outages after a series of earthquakes, not that that's on the radar what with juicy tp shortage stories.

To say that Americans have never been without for more than 7 days is sheer ignorance and stupidity. Yes, this virus is terrifying, and wreaking a kind of devastation that we have never experienced in our lifetimes, but let's not downplay the other disasters we've already dealt with.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Lodin posted:

Obviously, but they totally could scale it down and make it safe.
Sony was gonna present some bullshit about the next Playstation at GDC, but that got cancelled. Instead they had Mark Cerny stand in front of some paper cutouts and do his talk. Eurovision could totally pull off something like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSmWIR-D6ro

I thought that too, but if you skim through it they do move at points. In a human way, not just someone pulling the strings. There are points when you can sort of see the hair on them.
Still looks weird though (why I inspected it like a weirdo)

Ah, right at the start you can see them moving loads too.

Still looks fake as gently caress at points though lol

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Mar 19, 2020

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

my local fb is literally calling the chinese "chicoms" and I got screamed at and called anti-american for telling them that's racist.

the south deserves this plague.

also rattlesnake isn't the most common of meats but you can absolutely get it in butcher shops and grocery stores in a lot of places so what the gently caress is he on?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Sewer Adventure posted:

Yeah, you just fill out a bit of paper saying why you’re going out. It’s pretty dumb but deters people from casually going out.

Yeah in Belgium they just asked people to respect the guidelines and that's it. The police will ask you what you are up to and make sure there's only one person in the car. A police officer was interviewed and they asked him "Can't people lie about why they take their car?" and he was like "Of course they can, we just hope most peope will be civil enough not to and understand the importance of the situation".

It was refreshing to be considered as responsible adults. Honestly I think it's going to work mostly. Since pretty much everything besides grocery stores, pharmacies, gas stations and post offices are closed, there's not a lot of places you may go to alone in your car.

e: it's like child care; technically they remain open to help parents working in medical or social services. So they just sent us a message saying "please, if you can, keep your children at home even if we can't refuse them here". Surprisingly there was only 1 baby in my daughter's childcare on the second day of lockdown. It's nice that everyone is playing along, trying not to be a jerk

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Mar 19, 2020

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

i kinda see why people get addicted to opiates now

unrelated: is it too early to be drunk if i have to be at work in like an hour?

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Clitch posted:

Now we're standing on the floor, observing these poor cashiers as 300 strangers breathe in their faces every day, and wondering why the gently caress we're still open. We sell liquor. We're not essential. In fact, our entire function is selling an immunosuppressant! We have ZERO distancing guidance from our headquarters, and we are doing literally 200%+ YOY sales every day. This is a chain with over 150 stores making crazy money off of this, and we haven't heard a peep from company leadership since last week. It's incredibly stressful to manage this store and feel responsible for these people. I need them to come in because nobody's making us shut the doors, and the people just keep. loving. coming. The bars being shut down has made it worse. At the same time, I want to yell, "Stay home! This isn't worth it!", but I'm in the same boat, foolishly hedging against this being overblown the same way I sometimes have a flash of worry about going to Hell. We're all standing around looking at each other wordlessly asking if we've all lost our loving minds while droves of idiots file through the place acting like nothing's wrong.

Someone give me some perspective, please. I really feel like I'm losing my reality baseline here.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

my local fb is literally calling the chinese "chicoms" and I got screamed at and called anti-american for telling them that's racist.

the south deserves this plague.

That's an old Rush Limbaugh-ism. He uses it constantly because he's a racist piece of poo poo whose listeners don't actually know what communism is.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
how is spring break going down in florida

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Vashro posted:

how is spring break going down in florida
The governor is still refusing to close the beaches which is insane to me

Once these kids all go back across the country they are just going to infect more people

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Rime posted:

Yeah, they had African Swine Fever (a name used by all major international news agencies, ya trigger-happy loons) . Good read though, if you never heard about the extent of the swine epidemic there it explains why.

It's quite a long article. Bottom line is: if you believe a single statistic or statement out of Beijing regarding Coronavirus, you are insane.

you don't have to believe any given statement from Beijing to use it to interpret what might actually be happening. if the infections were still growing strongly in china it would not be able to hide that information. total deaths, total number of infected - all obviously lower than reality. but as far as the general trend goes - i see no reason to disbelieve it

also we don't name viruses after places anymore, as i'm sure you've been told numerous times

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mozi posted:

you don't have to believe any given statement from Beijing to use it to interpret what might actually be happening. if the infections were still growing strongly in china it would not be able to hide that information. total deaths, total number of infected - all obviously lower than reality. but as far as the general trend goes - i see no reason to disbelieve it

also we don't name viruses after places anymore, as i'm sure you've been told numerous times

china is under strict quarantine. of course they can hide the numbers. who would be in a position to gather information about it other than government officials or maybe a doctor at a hospital? its not like they have independent journalists

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

if we're gonna call it "china flu" we might as well start calling diabetes "american gangrene"

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Mozi posted:

they are lying about it just like they have been lying about since the start in Jan, I've seen nothing from their countries leadership showing remorse or apologizing for exacerbating this virus.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
there are still a lot of foreigners and people with VPNs who get info out. they're closing down the temporary hospitals and are having a harder time finding newly sick people to use in drug trials.

i was also very skeptical but over time it's clear that they have succeeded in reducing the rate of new infections. whether this can be sustained is a different question

i mean - given the measures they're taking, how could the spread of the virus not be reduced? the only way to think it's still spreading strongly is to believe they're lying about quarantine everybody

Mnoba posted:

they are lying about it just like they have been lying about since the start in Jan, I've seen nothing from their countries leadership showing remorse or apologizing for exacerbating this virus.

totally irrelevant! the fact is that new infections have reduced greatly. whether they apologize or not is a different matter

you've all decided which reality you're living in and are refusing to accept anything that doesn't comport with that. so congratulations, you'd fit right in in the CCP

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Rutibex posted:

china is under strict quarantine. of course they can hide the numbers. who would be in a position to gather information about it other than government officials or maybe a doctor at a hospital? its not like they have independent journalists

some of these guys have to be trolling, or just don't understand china at all I really don't get it

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
i have a masters degree studying modern china, dumbfuck

again - you're saying they locked down the country, shut down the economy, tested and quarantined everybody, and this all had zero effect on how the virus physically transmits from one person to another

you don't have to believe any propaganda to accept that actions have consequences

do you also think cases are still growing in SK? and taiwan? when you take measures to limit the spread, the spread is limited

Mozi fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Mar 19, 2020

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mozi posted:

Lol

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
i have a masters degree in not believing lies by a country proven to be lying

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

i hate the CCP for hundreds of reasons but i'm not up my own rear end enough to deny reality

how many new cases in Taiwan recently? they're not lying, they're taking measures that reduced the spread of the virus

Mozi fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Mar 19, 2020

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Asian countries already had a couple practice runs with SARS, H1N1, and all that. Their results are unlikely to be duplicated in Western countries

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I was loling at the "Masters in China" brag but you're a good poster so I take it back

e: wow that was a fast avvy change lol

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

FlamingLiberal posted:

The governor is still refusing to close the beaches which is insane to me

Once these kids all go back across the country they are just going to infect more people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V66m52YFZBg&t=7s

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
italy, a country of 60 million, will have recorded more deaths in the next day or so than china a country of 1.3 billion

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Mnoba posted:

i have a masters degree in not believing lies by a country proven to be lying

You do realize you're not being paranoid anymore, you're just being obtuse.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Mnoba posted:

italy, a country of 60 million, will have recorded more deaths in the next day or so than china a country of 1.3 billion

It's almost like China took draconian measures after a certain point while Italy took them way late. Yet numbers... don't match? MUST BE CHINA LIES.

You're pretty dumb, you really gotta be smarter than this if you're gonna be properly paranoid.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

China was able to concentrate vast amounts of resources into affected areas while Italy's system is completely overwhelmed. The deathrate will be a lot higher without access to proper medical care.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/14/world/asia/china-ren-zhiqiang.html

chinese tycoon disappears after criticizing his government's corona virus handling, maybe he is in florida on spring break!

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

SerCypher posted:

If you think asian people don't like huy fong sriacha then lol.

Oh no, I'm not saying Asian people don't buy it. It's just that cock sauce is the only one white people know about.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Mnoba posted:

we just haven't found where China is putting all the corpses yet

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Literally every person in china except Xi has died and he's covering it all up

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Philthy posted:

we just haven't found where China is putting all the corpses yet

Ricky's dad from trailer park boys stashing bottles everywhere but its bodies

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

That's what Rush Limbaugh calls China, it's an easy way to spot people that consume too much right-wing radio.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mozi posted:

again - you're saying they locked down the country, shut down the economy, tested and quarantined everybody, and this all had zero effect on how the virus physically transmits from one person to another

you don't have to believe any propaganda to accept that actions have consequences

do you also think cases are still growing in SK? and taiwan? when you take measures to limit the spread, the spread is limited

i have a masters degree in information science and the information coming out of china smells like bullshit to me

do we have any Phds in the thread?!

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Rutibex posted:

do we have any Phds in the thread?!
I don't think my dissertation on estuarine predatory fish behavior will be helpful

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
this virus is a communism ending event if the population gets agitated enough about it, there must be IMMENSE pressure on ccp right now to get a lid on this so there is plenty of motive to continue lying.

Hell, it might be enough to take down Trump who was going to cruise to re-election.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
China is, what, two months into their lockdown now? Has it eased up at all? Thought I read that factories were starting up again but if the rest of the world isn't buying anything then I suppose that's moot.

Anyway, we probably won't really know if this has been truly contained there until they open their doors again, literally and figuratively.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Mnoba posted:

this virus is a communism ending event if the population gets agitated enough about it, there must be IMMENSE pressure on ccp right now to get a lid on this so there is plenty of motive to continue lying.

Hell, it might be enough to take down Trump who was going to cruise to re-election.

lol whut

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Laterite posted:

China is, what, two months into their lockdown now? Has it eased up at all? Thought I read that factories were starting up again but if the rest of the world isn't buying anything then I suppose that's moot.

Anyway, we probably won't really know if this has been truly contained there until they open their doors again, literally and figuratively.

Most factories in china have been at 70-90% capacity for like two weeks now.

Only the Wuhan area was in super lockdown and it's not exactly the industrial center or anything

Andrast fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Mar 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Laterite posted:

China or not, it won't be contained until there is a vaccine. All these measures won't mean anything if it flares back up as soon as they're open again.

Andrast posted:

Literally every person in china except Xi has died and he's covering it all up
Seeing you outside the FEH thread is like running into your teacher at the grocery store. Remember grocery stores? Those were the days.