Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BurningChrome
Jan 18, 2020

They said she cooked her own cancers for people who crossed her, rococo custom variations that took years to kill you. They said a lot of things about Chrome, none of them at all reassuring.

Casimir Radon posted:

Heh. The only reason she got any sort of currency was because of her tenuous connection to Bernie. Whatever, she's out of congress next year, and probably off to a long career of shilling for the Putin and Modi.

I'll believe it when the cultist is actually out. I'll really believe it when she is nothing but dust and memories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I'm confused, weren't you our resident North Dakota snowmilgoon?

Sorry if I'm confusing you with someone else

I was for 5.5 years! Went to Korea and got out at JBLM about two years ago now.

Some more details that have come out over the last few hours: I work for Davey Tree, which is a huge company, second only to asplundh for tree stuff. They’re planning on giving us extra PTO (10 days) on a case by case basis if the government forces us to close a branch. Which is cool and probably better than some other people’s situation. But no one is calling to have their trees pruned right now. So if we run out of work (estimated to be middle of next week), they are going to lay people off if they don’t burn all their PTO (not getting any of the sickness related PTO if this happens) and presumably lay you off after it runs out. I’ve been here two years, and have 5 total days PTO. If we get laid off, we have to pay our insurance out of pocket, and being single with the most basic possible plan, that turns out to be 50% of my projected unemployment checks from Pennsylvania. I should be fine, because I have family that still likes me, but most of the misfits I work with have zero backup plans and might end up uninsured or unable to pay their mortgages until work starts up again. Which seems bad with the pandemic.

So right now I’m basically praying for the governor to flip the switch to “you can’t legally work,” else everyone here is hosed. Oh and our salaried sales/management guys don’t seem to give a gently caress cause they’re getting paid regardless.

Fake edit: this might be the thing that finally makes me start taking classes again like I probably should have been from the minute I got out though, so silver lining

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

BurningChrome posted:

I'll believe it when the cultist is actually out. I'll really believe it when she is nothing but dust and memories.
She's not running. An actual lefty was going to primary her so lil Tulsi decided to run off all the way into grifter land.

BurningChrome
Jan 18, 2020

They said she cooked her own cancers for people who crossed her, rococo custom variations that took years to kill you. They said a lot of things about Chrome, none of them at all reassuring.

Casimir Radon posted:

She's not running. An actual lefty was going to primary her so lil Tulsi decided to run off all the way into grifter land.

Still worried about her weaseling back in down the line.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Yo is it really believable that china has no new cases at all? It seems extremely unlikely but I'm not sure how much it's because the PRC have basically trained me not to believe a thing they say :shrug:

BurningChrome
Jan 18, 2020

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Yo is it really believable that china has no new cases at all? It seems extremely unlikely but I'm not sure how much it's because the PRC have basically trained me not to believe a thing they say :shrug:

Maybe yes, maybe not. We'll know in time won't we? If they are lying though, I hope its party officials that get to know what a cytokine storm is like first hand.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
No it is absolutely not believable.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

With intensive testing, very thorough tracing, and unique quarantine techniques... maybe?

I don't think we're doing any of those so....

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I'm seeing 34 new cases in China today, 8 new deaths, so they are probably just reporting slow.

34 is stupid low though.

BurningChrome
Jan 18, 2020

TCD posted:

With intensive testing, very thorough tracing, and unique quarantine techniques... maybe?

I don't think we're doing any of those so....

bird cooch posted:

No it is absolutely not believable.

I feel that the authoritarian surveillance state that regularly snuffs out lives wholesale can manage an epidemic, once they stop tripping over their collective dicks. Somehow can't manage to stop them from starting in the first place but v0v.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
As Italy's reported death toll surpasses that of China, it's important to remember that the latter's number is almost certainly a drastic underreporting by an authoritarian regime that viciously suppresses press freedom and is obsessed with maintaining a fantasy narrative that justifies its legitimacy.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Cugel the Clever posted:

As Italy's reported death toll surpasses that of China, it's important to remember that the latter's number is almost certainly a drastic underreporting by an authoritarian regime that viciously suppresses press freedom and is obsessed with maintaining a fantasy narrative that justifies its legitimacy.
Imagine the virus getting into one of the concentration camps.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Casimir Radon posted:

God that really was the worst mission in Splinter Cell.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Casimir Radon posted:

Probably already has since they used slaves from the camps in Wuhan and other locales as labor while they were otherwise locked down.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
My school cancelled my commencement ceremony. :(

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Cool, my student loan debt will go from $200k to $190k. :toot:

the gently caress did you go to school for

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

not caring here posted:

I'm seeing 34 new cases in China today, 8 new deaths, so they are probably just reporting slow.

34 is stupid low though.

They have been dealing with this since December and went into quarantine of varying levels throughout the country two months ago. It's very possible and I would expect to see a tapering off anyways. That being said, their numbers are usually reported with a political bent. I'm more curious about how they handle coming out of it and if theres a spike of infections so we know what to expect.

Edit: The number was going to go down eventually. The important thing is if you believe the downward trend or not. I would expect the CCP to be able to control their citizens effectively. Once they acknowledged the problem they started aggressive testing and tracking for it to isolate it. Western countries may struggle to maintain a 2 month quarantine, if they ever get one enacted that is.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 19, 2020

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Casimir Radon posted:

Ours or theirs?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Theirs, children don't seem that affected by the virus

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Mr. Nice! posted:

I wonder if there's a study of command morale during Zumwalt's years as CNO vs the years after. I'm pretty sure the shaggy topped and bearded Sailors were generally happier than ones with strict grooming standards.

Submarines are a good case study of this. Any bubblehead posters have a skipper that didn't allow beards and mandated haircuts underway? I would imagine that the crew would be even more miserable than normal in those situations.

Also, you're looking for :chiefsay: It's not just e9s in the navy with sticks up their collective asses. It's the entire chief's mess (e7-e9)

Only on at sea times longer than 1 week would my CO allow no shaves. You had to pay :5bux: to the CPO mess for the chit. Haircuts on long at seas were waived until a few days before coming into port. If you didn't have a sat haircut you could not leave the boat when we docked.

This was also the same skipper that would smoke cigars any drat place or time he pleased.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

All they have to do is what we did here. Not test for it.

Scope
Jun 6, 2003

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Theirs, children don't seem that affected by the virus

oof

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

ded posted:

Only on at sea times longer than 1 week would my CO allow no shaves. You had to pay :5bux: to the CPO mess for the chit. Haircuts on long at seas were waived until a few days before coming into port. If you didn't have a sat haircut you could not leave the boat when we docked.

This was also the same skipper that would smoke cigars any drat place or time he pleased.

Dude sounds like a proper leader. If I had COs in the army that chawed on cigars and smoked wherever he pleased, I'd probably be following them from duty station to duty station.

Closest I got was a BN motor sergeant E7 that gave no fucks and smoked his lovely Swishers everywhere, all the time. He curried favor with troops by taking them to the logistics yards on Anaconda while looting shipping containers. Dude had a heart attack mid-deployment, went to Germany for a month to recover and showed up one day back in the desert, cigars and poo poo mil spec bourbon in mouthwash bottles in tow. Dude ruled.

He's probably dead now, but still, an awesome dude all around.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

smertrioslol posted:

I was for 5.5 years! Went to Korea and got out at JBLM about two years ago now.

Some more details that have come out over the last few hours: I work for Davey Tree, which is a huge company, second only to asplundh for tree stuff. They’re planning on giving us extra PTO (10 days) on a case by case basis if the government forces us to close a branch. Which is cool and probably better than some other people’s situation. But no one is calling to have their trees pruned right now. So if we run out of work (estimated to be middle of next week), they are going to lay people off if they don’t burn all their PTO (not getting any of the sickness related PTO if this happens) and presumably lay you off after it runs out. I’ve been here two years, and have 5 total days PTO. If we get laid off, we have to pay our insurance out of pocket, and being single with the most basic possible plan, that turns out to be 50% of my projected unemployment checks from Pennsylvania. I should be fine, because I have family that still likes me, but most of the misfits I work with have zero backup plans and might end up uninsured or unable to pay their mortgages until work starts up again. Which seems bad with the pandemic.

So right now I’m basically praying for the governor to flip the switch to “you can’t legally work,” else everyone here is hosed. Oh and our salaried sales/management guys don’t seem to give a gently caress cause they’re getting paid regardless.

poo poo, sorry to hear about that situation.
But going back to school with a purpose is always a decent course of action.

Stay safe, Shay-Denn, FC of my heart (it's still not how that drat word is pronounced :mad:)

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

If the reporting from the NYT is accurate, you can't move from any building to another without having your temperature taken at exit and entrance and then if you have a fever you're funneled immediately to a "fever clinic" to figure out whether it's COVID or not with mandatory quarantine if the answer is yes. If that's accurate and they're actually doing it, I could see no new cases (although as not caring here says, they're also just being slow). That doesn't mean there's no virus, but just that it's contained enough that they're not catching people in the net.

BurningChrome
Jan 18, 2020

Notahippie posted:

If the reporting from the NYT is accurate, you can't move from any building to another without having your temperature taken at exit and entrance and then if you have a fever you're funneled immediately to a "fever clinic" to figure out whether it's COVID or not with mandatory quarantine if the answer is yes. If that's accurate and they're actually doing it, I could see no new cases (although as not caring here says, they're also just being slow). That doesn't mean there's no virus, but just that it's contained enough that they're not catching people in the net.

I can believe this.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

If anyone in the SF Bay area bought some N95 masks to deal with the fires, consider donating them to a hospital. A friend of mine who's a nurse said there's already shortages and it's not going to get better soon.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
So on a training flight today (because of course we're still flying), we got to talking about what you would spend your government issued stimulus check on if they actually implement that plan. Since we already get government issued salaries regardless of whether we get shut down, what's a good place to donate that money to in order to help people who actually need it? I was planning on the local food bank but I'm open to other ideas.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Wingnut Ninja posted:

So on a training flight today (because of course we're still flying), we got to talking about what you would spend your government issued stimulus check on if they actually implement that plan. Since we already get government issued salaries regardless of whether we get shut down, what's a good place to donate that money to in order to help people who actually need it? I was planning on the local food bank but I'm open to other ideas.

Food bank, animal shelters. I've given a decent amount of money over to a few cat rescue orgs in Chicago that are at risk of going permanently under due to not collecting visitor fees.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I was going to get food at places that have gone take-out only a few time a week.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

We have elderly neighbors so I think I would just give it to them or buy them groceries like I’m planning to do anyway

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Stultus Maximus posted:

I was going to get food at places that have gone take-out only a few time a week.

Yeah with the Navy canceling the spring PFA I'm doing my part for this as well. :btroll:

Gonna see if pizza cures coronavirus.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Local mutual aid groups

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
That dog who tested positive died

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Milo and POTUS posted:

That dog who tested positive died

Wait.

A dog died of COVID?

gently caress.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Wait.

A dog died of COVID?

gently caress.
It tested weak positive for it. It was also 17 years old so that's a factor.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/pet-dog-with-coronavirus-dies-after-returning-from-quarantine-disease-free-2020-03-18

For anyone curious

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Here I was worried about running out of entertainment during the pandemic. Trapt has been melting down live on twitter for the past 48 hours.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics...on-twitter.html

https://twitter.com/TRAPTOFFICIAL/status/1239567135439040512?s=20

some random ones:
https://twitter.com/TRAPTOFFICIAL/status/1239981662399848456?s=20
https://twitter.com/StefanPursell/status/1239983020787904514?s=20

https://twitter.com/TRAPTOFFICIAL/status/1239981883091496961?s=20

https://twitter.com/TRAPTOFFICIAL/status/1240266907615473665?s=20

https://twitter.com/TRAPTOFFICIAL/status/1239973898029912066?s=20

https://twitter.com/TRAPTOFFICIAL/status/1240287177541632007?s=20

I am impressed by the sheer output of this meltdown.

Brute Squad fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 20, 2020

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Look at the huge as font trump needs. Also sharpied out corona for chinese :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I mean I don't blame anyone for having serious doubts about the numbers the CCP is reporting because uhhhhh consider the source but I don't doubt for a second with this administration we're going to see some of the greatest stats juking in modern medical history