Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Necrothatcher posted:

oh poo poo oh gently caress I just got told I am on the verge of being declared a "key worker" because I did some stupid course on digital court hearings last year.

please don't make me a key worker I just want to stay home locked down and play doom :(

Never been a better time to mysteriously 'develop a cough'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

baka kaba posted:

whoever is moving around and then going into your house and staying there overnight is in big trouble

gently caress I've been rumbled

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
love being a contractor working in a building with hundreds of people who can't work from home

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Britain is saved, unless hackers and social malcontents figure out the sophisticated surveillance countermeasure of leaving your phone at home.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

big scary monsters posted:

leaving your phone at home.

Excuse me? :stare:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

How... In the gently caress is that supposed to work? Who are they checking? Are they going to check every phone? What if two phones are just placed next to each other? How can they possibly think it'll be reliable accurate to the metre? What about other networks? Are they going to track you down and separate you from the person you're standing next to?

Sounds like an insane amount of time, effort and expense with zero benefit.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Charging my SanDisk mp3 player as we speak. Wrap it up surveillures

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They (or someone :tinfoil:) took it down already.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Necrothatcher posted:

oh poo poo oh gently caress I just got told I am on the verge of being declared a "key worker" because I did some stupid course on digital court hearings last year.

please don't make me a key worker I just want to stay home locked down and play doom :(

It's no good you've been labeled, you are now a key worker. It's you, anyone in health or who works for Timpsons.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Yeah tbh it's one of those academic attacks which is theoretically plausible but practically impossible.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

open a pm with a bunch of prolapse pics at work and be unabel to explain it and that plan can be back on

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Necrothatcher posted:

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

ThomasPaine posted:

Yeah I'm being hyper cautious, just worried that lots of sick people are working delivery and in restaurants because Boris gave them no choice, being a prick

Just treat the outside of the takeaway as contaminated and touch it only with a plastic bag or glove or whatever. The food itself is most likely OK just have to be careful getting it out. Walking to a nearby place to pick it up is what I've been doing.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

elbkaida posted:

Just treat the outside of the takeaway as contaminated and touch it only with a plastic bag or glove or whatever. The food itself is most likely OK just have to be careful getting it out. Walking to a nearby place to pick it up is what I've been doing.

Also I think you've just got to balance obviously sensible precautions with your own sanity. Like it or not, we're all gonna get the roni in the end. Don't totally devastate yourself trying to avoid it

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Barry Foster posted:

Also I think you've just got to balance obviously sensible precautions with your own sanity. Like it or not, we're all gonna get the roni in the end. Don't totally devastate yourself trying to avoid it

I'm not sure 'not getting a kebab' is devastating myself tbh lol

Though it does feel like it!

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I just found out that the Netherlands is also doing herd immunity, and when trying to explain why this wasnt a terrible idea their health minister collapsed from "exhaustion" and has now resigned.

So maybe we aren't the only gently caress ups.

The herd immunity thing is basically the only strategy, just how you get there that changes. If we don't develop some resistance then we're basically hosed forever. It's why the schools had to be closed for 16 weeks or not at all.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Maybe East Asia has the right idea with face masks.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...s-idUSKBN20W0WL

Aramoro posted:

The herd immunity thing is basically the only strategy, just how you get there that changes. If we don't develop some resistance then we're basically hosed forever. It's why the schools had to be closed for 16 weeks or not at all.

Whilst the study by Imperial is very much down on a lockdown achieving the containment and eradication of the virus some other epidemiologists think their analysis is full of poo poo and a lockdown has a good chance of being successful in this case (as long as it is in fact properly applied):
https://necsi.edu/review-of-ferguson-et-al-impact-of-non-pharmaceutical-interventions

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Munin posted:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...s-idUSKBN20W0WL

Whilst the study by Imperial is very much down on a lockdown achieving the containment and eradication of the virus some other epidemiologists think their analysis is full of poo poo and a lockdown has a good chance of being successful in this case (as long as it is in fact properly applied):
https://necsi.edu/review-of-ferguson-et-al-impact-of-non-pharmaceutical-interventions

I think we've seen from Wuhan that containment can probably work as long as you're happy with literal marshal law. But it's still early to tell if it's going to work out exactly in China and they don't spike their case when they relax control again.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Farm workers urgently needed! (Darn those pesky forinners for running off and leaving us in our hour of need).

https://www.fwi.co.uk/business/coronavirus-urgent-appeal-for-brits-to-work-on-farms

We're going to starve, aren't we?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

"Industry leaders" can get down in the loving dirt and feed us their crops first.

quote:

Please read carefully
All people aged 25 or over working in the UK must be paid the National Living Wage, at least £8.21/hour (the National Minimum Wage of £7.70/hour for those aged 21 to 24 and £6.15/hour for those aged 18 to 20). From 1st April 2020 – the new rates will apply and these will be £8.72 (25 and over) and £8.20 (21-24 years old) – and £6.45 for those aged 18-20 years.

Often your pay will be calculated by the PIECEWORK method. On piecework the crop you pick is weighed and you are paid for each kilogram you pick. The harder you work the more you are paid. On this system most workers earn more than the minimum rate per hour. A few workers find it difficult and, even though they try, they do not achieve this. If this happens the farmer may train you to pick the crop quickly.

If after this extra training you are still too slow to earn the minimum wage, and the farmer has no alternative employment, then the farmer has no choice but to terminate your employment. It is often difficult for HOPS to move slow workers to another farm. If alternative work cannot be found you will be asked to return to your home country.

Most workers earn on average £240-£300 per week after accommodation charges are deducted although some can earn a lot more in peak season if working long hours. HOPS regrets that full-time work is not guaranteed for the whole of your stay in the UK. The amount of working hours per week offered to you can vary greatly. The start and finish dates are anticipated dates and can change at any time. SWP refers to the Seasonal Workers Programme paperwork which you will be issued with on acceptance of your application.

i am harry fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 19, 2020

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Might have it, lasses.

Had a doctor's appointment last week, had a dry cough this week, and today I have a fever and fatigue and it feels like my breath never quite reaches through my lungs like it should.

I should be fine, I'm not in any risk factors, but bleh.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
See they’ve finally released today’s data, and there’s been an increase of 643 cases today, taking us to about 3,269.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Aramoro posted:

Lol based on your extensive medical background I guess yeah?

i do have a biochemistry degree and apparently have read more chinese papers on covid than any of them have, but also their own papers.
they keep getting stuff wrong that is explained even in their own studies.

sorry to talk britane down though

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

I bet all the kids who thought, "When am I ever going to need to make soap" in Chemistry are feeling a bit foolish now.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Well I just got a smacked wrist from tory brexiteer friend for posting that thing from the FT about Johnson being in a dilemma whether to join the EU-wide group respirator / ppe equipment purchase thing which EU have said we can do. Apparently it is not helpful for me post a 'smear' article when the government are fighting a pandemic.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010

Ms Adequate posted:

Might have it, lasses.

Had a doctor's appointment last week, had a dry cough this week, and today I have a fever and fatigue and it feels like my breath never quite reaches through my lungs like it should.

Ive had the weirdest day, where i woke up with no symptoms whatsoever, thought "oh, ive been panicking for no reason, it was just a two day cold", went for a 20 minute run and now Im struggling with chest pain, fatigue, and i just like difficult breathing slightly, but absolutely no fever and no cough. Its probably a cold or something elsr, but if it is its the weirdest cold ive ever had. If only someway of knowing existed, like some sort of test.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Another 41 UK deaths, taking the total to 144, and up from 33 in the previous day.

Pencils R Cool
Feb 16, 2011
Journey is only about £3 on PSN right now. If you need cheering up, I'd highly recommend it - I teared up from Happy Feelings About People towards the end.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Pablo Bluth posted:

Another 41 UK deaths, taking the total to 144, and up from 33 in the previous day.

Which means we’re likely to be in a position of 400-500k infections nationwide. Pubs still open.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Ms Adequate posted:

Might have it, lasses.

That's how I've been feeling this week, though I've not really had a cough. It seems reasonable to think it was the roni, given that there was a confirmed case on campus and I frequent a gym full of students. Though maybe that's wishful thinking on my part

Not that I'm not treating it as such with a 14 day lockdown anyway

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
How're we doing compared to Italy, or would it be better to compare with Iran.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Yeah I just cannot shift this extremely mild phlegmy cough and (again very mild) shortness of breath/chest pain, and it's been over a week. I had a barely perceptible fever last week, and occasional headaches, but certainly nothing worse than low-level cold symptoms. It probably isn't covid but I kinda hope it is lol. It's certainly long-running and bizarre symptoms.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

ThomasPaine posted:

Yeah I just cannot shift this extremely mild phlegmy cough and (again very mild) shortness of breath/chest pain, and it's been over a week. I had a barely perceptible fever last week, and occasional headaches, but certainly nothing worse than low-level cold symptoms. It probably isn't covid but I kinda hope it is lol. It's certainly long-running and bizarre symptoms.

nope its a dry cough so you don't

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I've been having some phlegm but that's it, and no worse from the every day practise that I have occasionally. Had the idea of "just having breakfast and dinner to save on money/food" but I am not sure if that is stupid and/or smart.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Raaaaaaaaaaggggghhhhhhhh

Have now been authorised to tell people who phone up to find out if we have certain items that were not answering stock enquiries over the phone. It's not really the fault of those who ring but we're not getting the time to do minor things like dispense drugs.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

ThomasPaine posted:

I have had exactly the same thing for nearly three weeks now. No temperature at all though. (My normal is about 36.4 from a mouth thermometer), and yeah, CV is dry cough.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Ah thank Christ just heard we're going to close to customers for a couple of hours a day to get work done.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

baka kaba posted:

whoever is moving around and then going into your house and staying there overnight is in big trouble

Lol oh yeah. I am not a criminal mastermind.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Angrymog posted:

I have had exactly the same thing for nearly three weeks now. No temperature at all though. (My normal is about 36.4 from a mouth thermometer), and yeah, CV is dry cough.

I've had that for a week now, persistent cough that started producing some phlegm a few days ago. I'm still self isolating though as I don't think there's much good to be done cutting about coughing all over the place saying 'ah it's just a cold'

That said the symptoms are 'usually' a dry cough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I just found out that the Netherlands is also doing herd immunity, and when trying to explain why this wasnt a terrible idea their health minister collapsed from "exhaustion" and has now resigned.

So maybe we aren't the only gently caress ups.

Rutte is now claiming it was just a "misunderstanding" so who the hell knows what's going on in his stupid head