Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

But its not going to be enforced in any way.

Please stay at home!

Please?

It's more of an order for businesses.

Our company got an exemption from the Bay Area order, let's see if we get one here too :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FCKGW posted:

It's more of an order for businesses.

Our company got an exemption from the Bay Area order, let's see if we get one here too :/

I just read the LA order and A LOT of businesses get exemptions....

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
I work at a race engine shop but since we have auto parts in stock we are essential. Go figure.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
https://twitter.com/TwinklingTania/status/1240827417087770624

If this doesn't end Feinstein, only death will. Newsom should immediately demand her resignation and recall efforts should begin now.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I work at a race engine shop but since we have auto parts in stock we are essential. Go figure.

Where does it say stuff like this is essential? One of the county orders? Because the state order certainly doesn't seem to me to imply it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

Where does it say stuff like this is essential? One of the county orders? Because the state order certainly doesn't seem to me to imply it.

I can share the LA city order if anyone wants to see it.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

AngryBooch posted:

https://twitter.com/TwinklingTania/status/1240827417087770624

If this doesn't end Feinstein, only death will. Newsom should immediately demand her resignation and recall efforts should begin now.

All Republicans, and her (a DINO). loving ghoul.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

MarcusSA posted:

I can share the LA city order if anyone wants to see it.

Yeah that would be good. I was assuming the orange county one was the same as this.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

What the gently caress can I do to get a recall campaign going?

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

AngryBooch posted:

If this doesn't end Feinstein, only death will.

What is dead may never die.

edit: Can we get the title back to gently caress Feinstein. really should be the motto of all Californians for all time

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

What the gently caress can I do to get a recall campaign going?

I don't think you can recall a Senator

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Here’s the LA county order

http://file.lacounty.gov/SDSInter/lac/1070029_COVID-19_SaferAtHome_HealthOfficerOrder_20200319_Signed.pdf

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

MarcusSA posted:

Please stay at home!

Please?

I haven't looked into the specifics of this, since the state doesn't have a very good means of enforcement, but it would empower localities to enforce this, right?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The state order seems more restrictive, I would imagine it overrides county ones?

Boss says we're working tomorrow even though I'd say it's a stretch to argue us essential. Although tomorrow's job relies on a concrete order. If concrete company is closed, tells us what we need to know I guess lol.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Found what the state is using for essential business:
https://www.cisa.gov/sites/default/files/publications/CISA-Guidance-on-Essential-Critical-Infrastructure-Workers-1-20-508c.pdf

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
So basically almost everything, lol.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/1240844258422050816

Edit:

Also, looks like Feinstein wasn't related

https://twitter.com/charles_gaba/status/1240826332696764418

Doesn't seem like the kind of stock someone would be selling right now if they were expecting a huge influx of money in the biomedical industry. Its not directly related to Cronoavirus, but I gotta imagine the value of cancer therapy isn't that badly effected.

Double edit: Actually its down like 30% since she sold, so who knows

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 20, 2020

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The Glumslinger posted:

https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/1240844258422050816

Edit:

Also, looks like Feinstein wasn't related

https://twitter.com/charles_gaba/status/1240826332696764418

Doesn't seem like the kind of stock someone would be selling right now if they were expecting a huge influx of money in the biomedical industry. Its not directly related to Cronoavirus, but I gotta imagine the value of cancer therapy isn't that badly effected.

Cannabis folks. Get in the industry now if you have a brain or a skill you have had no luck plying in the regular market. There are not enough people with big brain degrees willing to be in this industry so your coming in at a massive premium

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

Please stay at home!

Please?

have you considered that jailing or fining people who violate would be

1. counterproductive to slowing transmission
2. disproportionately affect poor people who went to work despite the order
3. cause all sorts of civil liberty lawsuits

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It's pretty obvious that the language and timing of this is meant to ease people into the quarantine thing.
The LA Mayor was super careful about using terminology that implied social responsibility to others and the honor system for initial enforcement, and his conference was about an hour before Newsom's.

I give it a week or two before cops start really enforcing poo poo and handing out tickets.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah I mean they're letting you go outside just to exercise, and you can drive to the store for groceries. So if a cop pulls you over, what. He's gonna say you're lying about needing milk? If a nonessential business is openign anyway, yeah some kind of enforcement is possible. They're not gonna do more than just scold people who are out without an officially sanctioned reason, because if they actually started ticketing pedestrians and drivers, people would just get the word out about the valid excuses and everyone would lie.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

have you considered that jailing or fining people who violate would be

1. counterproductive to slowing transmission
2. disproportionately affect poor people who went to work despite the order
3. cause all sorts of civil liberty lawsuits

wow how did china do it???

e: i agree it would cause lots of problems but people do need to stay inside as much as possible

i think point #1 is wrong though, looking at how things went in China

Rah! fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Mar 20, 2020

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I mean at this point it should be pretty clear that drastic measures are needed across the board to slow this thing down.

I know people aren't gonna like it but that is just the state of things. At this point we are going to be the next Italy but probably worse.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The Glumslinger posted:

The entire market is down 30% to be fair. Could just be following the trend.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Rah! posted:

wow how did china do it???

e: i agree it would cause lots of problems but people do need to stay inside as much as possible

i think point #1 is wrong though, looking at how things went in China

How crowded are the jails and prisons in China?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Cops at the lowest levels aren't going to enforce this the way their superiors tell the public. It's literally a future Gavin presidential tv clip being created. "Tough on viruses, tough on wine"

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Throwing people into crowded jails is totally a great way to spread the virus, just have cops yell at people and maybe write tickets

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I don't know if the cops are in on it yet, but NIMBYs have been using the shelter in place order as a great excuse to gently caress with food not bombs.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

CopperHound posted:

I don't know if the cops are in on it yet, but NIMBYs have been using the shelter in place order as a great excuse to gently caress with food not bombs.

Wtf

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

I mean at this point it should be pretty clear that drastic measures are needed across the board to slow this thing down.

I know people aren't gonna like it but that is just the state of things. At this point we are going to be the next Italy but probably worse.

My dad was buying food for over a week before anyone else really started doing it. He has a whole garage full of all kinds of things. My mom and my dad are both in their mid-70s.

Yesterday he tells me he went to the store just to buy some eggs and “see how things are” and tells me that things are good and that people don’t look panicked.

I remind him the point of buying all the food and staying the gently caress inside is that you’re supposed to stay the gently caress inside.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I went by Autozone last night to buy some gloves and some old dude was in there talking to the two millennial cashiers about how it's not serious & CCN stands for Constantly Negative News. Then he went off the rails about it being the fault of gay people and the folks that are "not normal, you know, more than 2 genders".

Fingers crossed he keeps going out and thinks it's not a big deal.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

CopperHound posted:

What do you mean exactly?

E: they should be an essential service as a food bank.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Mar 20, 2020

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

WOWEE ZOWEE posted:

What do you mean exactly?

E: they should be an essential service as a food bank.
So far, Mostly mean social media posts about being a place for homeless sick people to congregate. I imagine there is some calling into the police too.

I'll try to dig up some stuff when I have time later.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah I mean they're letting you go outside just to exercise, and you can drive to the store for groceries. So if a cop pulls you over, what. He's gonna say you're lying about needing milk? If a nonessential business is openign anyway, yeah some kind of enforcement is possible. They're not gonna do more than just scold people who are out without an officially sanctioned reason, because if they actually started ticketing pedestrians and drivers, people would just get the word out about the valid excuses and everyone would lie.

All my bike rides are provisioning bike rides!

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Actually, so I looked up the actual sell dates on the Feinstein stock, she sold ~500K on Jan 31st for $21 a share and ~1M on Feb 18 for $24 a share.

Today its trading at just under $20 a share

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Good lord, every small business in California is trying to Big Brain convoluted reasons why they are essential right now. A nearby gun store/range says it's essential. Concrete company says it's essential (maybe might actually be I dunno). Gamestop is essential.

The company I work at is adjacent to automotive repair, but is not automotive repair. We do not work on cars or have car parts. We install/repair/maintain heavy equipment in the automotive sector like car lifts and air compressors. Car dealerships are our primary customer. They "need" us but only in the sense they would eventually have trouble if they didn't have us or another company installing/repairing their heavy equipment for months on end. "Automotive repair and maintenance" is on the essentials list, but I don't think you can chain together businesses like that. Otherwise that also means, for example the uniform company that washes the dealerships uniforms is also essential, and so on until basically every non-retail business in the state qualifies as "essential". I don't think it works like that. Anyone have a good bead on this that can chime in?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Chomp8645 posted:

Good lord, every small business in California is trying to Big Brain convoluted reasons why they are essential right now. A nearby gun store/range says it's essential. Concrete company says it's essential (maybe might actually be I dunno). Gamestop is essential.

The company I work at is adjacent to automotive repair, but is not automotive repair. We do not work on cars or have car parts. We install/repair/maintain heavy equipment in the automotive sector like car lifts and air compressors. Car dealerships are our primary customer. They "need" us but only in the sense they would eventually have trouble if they didn't have us or another company installing/repairing their heavy equipment for months on end. "Automotive repair and maintenance" is on the essentials list, but I don't think you can chain together businesses like that. Otherwise that also means, for example the uniform company that washes the dealerships uniforms is also essential, and so on until basically every non-retail business in the state qualifies as "essential". I don't think it works like that. Anyone have a good bead on this that can chime in?

Businesses are between a rock and a hard place. On one hand you can send people home on unemployment and hopefully make your debt payments or equipment maintenance contract fees etc. Or keep open until the state forces you to close and keep your people people employed. People not living paycheck to paycheck are fine with staying home more so than those who can't businesses can live day to day as well. In my case I have a savings for my businesses that I can draw to keep people from losing their homes. But I can't sustain that forever. Since I'm cannabis I can stay operating indefinitely. Maybe it is the wrong thing to do. But I cannot morally allow my employees to be homeless or in danger of losing their homes.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Businesses are between a rock and a hard place. On one hand you can send people home on unemployment and hopefully make your debt payments or equipment maintenance contract fees etc. Or keep open until the state forces you to close and keep your people people employed. People not living paycheck to paycheck are fine with staying home more so than those who can't businesses can live day to day as well. In my case I have a savings for my businesses that I can draw to keep people from losing their homes. But I can't sustain that forever. Since I'm cannabis I can stay operating indefinitely. Maybe it is the wrong thing to do. But I cannot morally allow my employees to be homeless or in danger of losing their homes.

Are you at least taking precautions to distance your employees from customers and each other, providing hand sanitizer, limiting the number of people inside at once, etc. or are you just patting yourself on the back for being a job creator?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Are you at least taking precautions to distance your employees from customers and each other, providing hand sanitizer, limiting the number of people inside at once, etc. or are you just patting yourself on the back for being a job creator?

Nah we are a closed production environment mostly b2b sales. We basically do everything outlined already. Masks hand sanitizer gloves. We deliver everything we sell so again, masks Sanny gloves. I have gallons of sanitizer/alcohol on hand for trimming and cleaning etc as a normal inventory item.

The only thing that's very difficult to enforce is the social distancing. Because it's not an easy thing to implement when subconsciously break the rule by walking by another person.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Nah we are a closed production environment mostly b2b sales. We basically do everything outlined already. Masks hand sanitizer gloves. We deliver everything we sell so again, masks Sanny gloves. I have gallons of sanitizer/alcohol on hand for trimming and cleaning etc as a normal inventory item.

The only thing that's very difficult to enforce is the social distancing. Because it's not an easy thing to implement when subconsciously break the rule by walking by another person.

Fair enough.