Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Um...

I think Voyager included a cute monkey in an episode because Friends had had one earlier.

Just a theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Star Trek could totally have talking animals. Just one day go to the dog planet and it's all Wishbones and Brians who can either speak directly or telepathically. Honestly, they've shown a lot of restraint in that, probably too much. It's kind of suspicious there aren't any talking animal planets. Or perhaps there are but that's where Starfleet discrimination kicks in. Sorry Heathcliff, we just don't trust your kind and their little paws to be a warpcore engineer, how would you like a job making GBS threads in a box and doing nothing all day instead?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Like, aren't we all just talking animals man?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I mean, in the derivative works, they have dolphins....that whole Cetacean Ops thing. We apparently managed to uplift dolphins in the future.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I feel like "Data improves universal translator to work with Spot" is a perfect TNG S8 b-plot. Or A-plot for Enterprise but with Porthos (but then Hoshi destroys the technology or it gets lost or something because continuity).

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Longbaugh01 posted:

Um...

I think Voyager included a cute monkey in an episode because Friends had had one earlier.

Just a theory.

That's no way to talk about Harry

Epicurius posted:

I mean, in the derivative works, they have dolphins....that whole Cetacean Ops thing. We apparently managed to uplift dolphins in the future.

Actually it turns out the dolphins uplifted US

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

McSpanky posted:

That's no way to talk about Harry

:vince:

Humerus posted:

I feel like "Data improves universal translator to work with Spot" is a perfect TNG S8 b-plot.

"Data improves universal translator to work with Spot. Spot informs him that the hundreds of feline supplements were just to gently caress with him. Spot takes control of the Enterprise.”

Remember that TNG episode that is just basically “Die Hard On The Enterprise” with Picard in the McClaine role?

(Tuvok is one of Not-Hans Gruber’s henchmen.)

Longbaugh01 fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 18, 2020

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
https://twitter.com/JaxBladeFitness/status/1239937506294009857

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The_Other posted:

Voyager was the first Star Trek series I watched as a kid (admittedly not from the very beginning) so I've always had a soft spot for it, despite it's (many) flaws.

Also Binging with Babish posted a video on how to make Bunnicorn Pizza from Picard. Warning the first few minutes of the video has him taking apart a rabbit carcass to make sausage.

He cut real meat? He touched it?

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > TV IV > Star Trek: *hits blunt* evver gohne moutain bighking?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Angry_Ed posted:

Could be the governmental offices of The Federation are in Paris while Starfleet Academy and the Starfleet Command HQ are in SF

I thought Paris was the capital of Earth.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Sash! posted:

THAT'LL BE THE DAY!!

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Angry_Ed posted:

Could be the governmental offices of The Federation are in Paris while Starfleet Academy and the Starfleet Command HQ are in SF

Starfleet is in San Francisco. We find out in one of the Star Trek movies that the Federation Council is in San Francisco, and in another one, we find out the President's office is in Paris.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Sash! posted:

So does every Parisian.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Both South Africa and the Netherlands in the real world have separate legislative and administrative capitals. And if you've got transporters, why not spread everything out across multiple cities?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

McSpanky posted:

THAT'LL BE THE DAY!!

Hyperriker is from Hyperfrance, so he's probably ok with Paris being the capital

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Thanks a lot to whoever first pointed out in this thread the wheeled office chairs on the Voyager Excelsior bridge set.

Watching that episode it was all I could focus on, but Flashback was a bit fun in seeing Sulu, Rand, Kang, and two Excelsior bridge jobbers again. Though I can’t help but think it got the short end of the stick when it came to 30th anniversary episodes compared to DS9’s, but that’s fine with me.

“False Profits”: Kind of weird, but also intriguing, to go back to a B-plot from the Wormhole Auction TNG episode and make it your A-plot for your Voyager episode. Interesting enough, but the Ferengis aren’t your latinum standard.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Longbaugh01 posted:

Watching that episode it was all I could focus on, but Flashback was a bit fun in seeing Sulu, Rand, Kang, and two Excelsior bridge jobbers again. Though I can’t help but think it got the short end of the stick when it came to 30th anniversary episodes compared to DS9’s, but that’s fine with me.

Kinda yeah, but it's the closest we ever got to that Sulu series that was an even bigger missed opportunity in hindsight.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

"A TNG B-plot as the A-plot" is a pretty succinct summary of most Voyager episodes.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Zurui posted:

"A TNG B-plot as the A-plot" is a pretty succinct summary of most Voyager episodes.

Origami Dali posted:

it's like a really lovely tng episode.

Longbaugh01 posted:

This succinctly encapsulates most all Voyager episodes I’ve watched.

We should start a collection of these.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Origami Dali posted:

I have only seen two episodes of voyager, both this week. the pilot episode, and tuvix.

i got bored halfway through the pilot. tom paris is played by a low rent andrew mccarthy and he can't act worth a drat. harry kim is an empty void. command seem to forget the prime directive, and then make mortal enemies for no real reason. neelix should've been blown out the airlock for loving them over. then later, they explicitly say gently caress the prime directive, as if they had been caring about it earlier. it's like a really lovely tng episode. so far, the entire crew is poo poo, except the hologram doctor.

tuvix was great because it showed us that the crew are indeed poo poo

it took me a bit to warm up to ds9, but I grew to like the characters when the show started giving them depth and doing interesting things with them. I get the feeling this is not going to happen on voyager

The three good characters on Voyager are the Doctor, Tuvok (who gets some real nice subtle depth to him over time), and Seven of Nine (who's introduced in the last episode of Season 3).

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
In all my attempts to get through Voyager, Tuvok is a pretty consistent source of enjoyment. I can’t remember what episode it’s from, but I like the one that delved into his angsty childhood and hinted at why he’s always on the verge of letting his irritation and anger show. I think Tank Girl was in it?

Tim Russ did a good job at portraying the “Vulcans have emotions, they just work really hard to bury them” aspect of the character. A lot of guest stars tend to play them like robots and it’s nice to see someone besides Nimoy portraying the race with subtlety. Blalock was decent at that too, but she never really had the opportunity until the last two seasons of Enterprise.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
From what I've seen so far, T'Pol is extremely bad at hiding her emotions. She's always making barely disguised commends of disgust and annoyance, and has at least once shown straight up embarrassment.
It makes her a way more interesting Vulcan than most of the ones I've seen, but also makes her feel like she was thrown in with these irrational humans because she's an embarrassment as a Vulcan.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

curiousTerminal posted:

From what I've seen so far, T'Pol is extremely bad at hiding her emotions. She's always making barely disguised commends of disgust and annoyance, and has at least once shown straight up embarrassment.
It makes her a way more interesting Vulcan than most of the ones I've seen, but also makes her feel like she was thrown in with these irrational humans because she's an embarrassment as a Vulcan.

Wasn't there gonna be a twist that she was HALF-ROMULAN, if the show had a season five?

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Tuvok is a really good character, taking Voyager's count of good characters up to 4 (him, Seven, the Doctor and The Many Versions of Janeway).

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Kate Mulgrew has killed in other productions it's sad the writing for her was so inconsistent on Voyager.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Arglebargle III posted:

Kate Mulgrew has killed in other productions it's sad the writing for her was so inconsistent on Voyager.

I loved her as Mrs. Columbo.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
I feel bad for Jolene Blalock. She was apparently a huge Trek fan before she got T'Pol and Spock was her favorite character. Getting the role was a dream come true apparently...

...Then she pretty much gets over-sexualized from the get-go (I'm looking at you both Berman and Braga), probably failed by the writing early on (this is where I would ascribe any instances where she might come off as un-Vulcan-like), and then the whole cast gets poo poo on by the finale where she was most vocal in her distaste and disappointment. So much so that I think she stayed away from anything related to Star Trek for 8 years until the 2013 blu-ray reunion, and then afterwards.

:smith:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Longbaugh01 posted:

I feel bad for Jolene Blalock. She was apparently a huge Trek fan before she got T'Pol and Spock was her favorite character. Getting the role was a dream come true apparently...

...Then she pretty much gets over-sexualized from the get-go (I'm looking at you both Berman and Braga), probably failed by the writing early on (this is where I would ascribe any instances where she might come off as un-Vulcan-like), and then the whole cast gets poo poo on by the finale where she was most vocal in her distaste and disappointment. So much so that I think she stayed away from anything related to Star Trek for 8 years until the 2013 blu-ray reunion, and then afterwards.

I mean it's not like it was....

...oh yeah no it was entirely gratuitous, wasn't it?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

You probably don't get to be a main cast member on Star Trek by being a bad actor. Implying such will probably get you shanked at a convention by Robert Picardo.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

What's... whoever played Travis Mayweather up to these days. I assume it's not acting, because he didn't even do any of that while he was on screen.

Dominic Keating at least still gets a decent amount of work doing voiceovers in video games. I'm like 99% sure he's in Destiny as one of the vendors or something. :v:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Drone posted:

What's... whoever played Travis Mayweather up to these days. I assume it's not acting, because he didn't even do any of that while he was on screen.

To be fair to him, it's not like he was given much opportunity to act.

He's been a series regular on General Hospital for a few years, looks like.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Drone posted:

Dominic Keating at least still gets a decent amount of work doing voiceovers in video games. I'm like 99% sure he's in Destiny as one of the vendors or something. :v:

"Male Frame Voice / Arcite 99-40", over by Shaxx. Thanks for pointing that out, I had no idea.

Anthony Montgomery, who played Travis Mayweather, was apparently a member of the regular cast of General Hospital until December 2019.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Literally the only Mayweather moment I can remember was the dullest teaser in the entire history of the franchise.

Scene: Mayweather is reading a book. In zero gravity! But still, he's just reading a book.
Someone over the comm: "Ensign Mayweather, report to the bridge."
Mayweather: "On my way."
It's been a long road...

THRILLING!

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Longbaugh01 posted:

This awoke a long forgotten memory that by chance I saw Blalock at a comic convention in the Milton Keynes shopping centre (by chance I went shopping). I recall being surprised at how small she was.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

StarTrek.com sent me an email that says

"VOYAGER’S MACROCOSM IS A COVID-19 CAUTIONARY TALE"

Gimme a break, coronavirus isn't a gigantic bunch of floating tentacles stabbity stabbing people with giant thorns..

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL" :smug:
Fun Shoe

Binary Badger posted:

StarTrek.com sent me an email that says

"VOYAGER’S MACROCOSM IS A COVID-19 CAUTIONARY TALE"

Gimme a break, coronavirus isn't a gigantic bunch of floating tentacles..

But what if...

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Binary Badger posted:

Gimme a break, coronavirus isn't a gigantic bunch of floating tentacles..

not YET

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL" :smug:
Fun Shoe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

*Rips off Sideburns*

I WAS THE CORONA VIRUS ALL ALONG