Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

mediaphage posted:

It's clearly a big problem across their supply line; when they replaced my 13-inch original iPP, the replacement developed several of them. It's very frustrating and makes me hesitant to buy another iPad soon - and this was within the past year.

That really sucks guys. It's such a frustrating thing to deal with, especially as the company decides to just let you deal with it. I went through three different display assemblies with my iPhone 6 over the course of two years. The selfie camera would detach itself from the front glass (the "crescent moon selfie cam" problem), and I baby the poo poo out of my electronics.

japtor posted:

Wonder what the range and detail is on the Lidar. And apparently press is being shown some stuff:
https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/18/21185959/ipad-pro-lidar-scaner-augmented-reality-demo-hot-lava-game

I really really wish Apple would stop trying to make this awkward-rear end game a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

ios 13.4 gm release is available via the developer beta profile. it feels real crazy to me, it feels very different than the accessibility setting mouse control or using a pc. there's a lot of weight behind it, behaves a bit like the apple tv navigation, and functions differently depending on how fast you're moving at the time. it'll take time for people to get used to, i think.
also for anyone using a mouse, the settings are a little different than the accessibility version. there's a new mouse settings bit in settings > general, however there's no option to map more than left/right click there. you'll have to go into accessibility settings and map extra buttons that way, it doesn't replace the new mouse support with the old one or anything.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

TraderStav posted:

Wondering this as well. For $350 it loving better

Or give me a fuckin kickstand Tim Apple

This is where we are in 2020. I’m begging for a kickstand.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Or give me a fuckin kickstand Tim Apple

This is where we are in 2020. I’m begging for a kickstand.

Lol if you don't have one of these

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Adjustable-Tablet-Holder-Stand/dp/B006ZT4VA0

or these

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p...CBoCveQQAvD_BwE

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Not dongleshaming, but that is the stand equivalent of “there’s a dongle for that”

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Not dongleshaming, but that is the stand equivalent of “there’s a dongle for that”

No it isn’t. If anything it’s the stand equivalent of “I already have four micro USB cables at home, why do I need another”. Or do you really use the built-in kickstand on a Switch in tabletop mode?

There’s only one company really integrating kickstands *well* into their products and that’s Microsoft.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well my kickstand comment was sarcastic and may not have come across that way, but the ask to make the keyboard invert so I can prop my iPad up was 100% serious. I can’t imagine any good reason I should need or want to carry a separate gadget when I literally have a thing strapped to my iPad that would already do the job.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Can I get that sweet cursor action on my 2018 Pro?

Also that Amazon Basics tablet stand is the poo poo. Works great for everything as long as you remember to bring it with you.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

Can I get that sweet cursor action on my 2018 Pro?

Also that Amazon Basics tablet stand is the poo poo. Works great for everything as long as you remember to bring it with you.

yep, either download the master release from the developer beta channel or wait 'til the 24th when it rolls out to the public.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

ddogflex posted:

Isn't it odd they aren't using an A13X? Is this the first time they've done this?

That or an A14X is probably for the rumored fall/winter refresh with the microLED screen. I’m getting strong IPad 3rd Generations vibes here.

As for Apple refurbished, it’s the best deal in all of Apple. Unless you’re buying something within the first 6 months of release check the refurb store first. Like others have said it’s a new shell, display, battery if applicable, and it’s eligible for AppleCare just like buying off the shelf.

There’s also the less well known Refurb Lottery: Buy a 64GB model but those aren’t in stock? You get 128! Want the MacBook with 8G RAM and 256GB HD but supplies are low? You get the 1TB version! You’ll never get less than you buy, but you can on occasion get more.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

GoatSeeGuy posted:

That or an A14X is probably for the rumored fall/winter refresh with the microLED screen. I’m getting strong IPad 3rd Generations vibes here.

As for Apple refurbished, it’s the best deal in all of Apple. Unless you’re buying something within the first 6 months of release check the refurb store first. Like others have said it’s a new shell, display, battery if applicable, and it’s eligible for AppleCare just like buying off the shelf.

There’s also the less well known Refurb Lottery: Buy a 64GB model but those aren’t in stock? You get 128! Want the MacBook with 8G RAM and 256GB HD but supplies are low? You get the 1TB version! You’ll never get less than you buy, but you can on occasion get more.

We're a ways out from micro LED on a big screen. mini LED, maybe.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

mediaphage posted:

We're a ways out from micro LED on a big screen. mini LED, maybe.

My bad, I crossed the streams but yeah that's the rumor.

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/03/20/apple-to-launch-ipad-pro-mini-led-late-2020/

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
This comes up every so often in Apple threads, but their refurbs really are the best. It's Apple's little gift to in-the-know customers. A 'sup' nod and secret handshake.

That said, Best Buy refurbs are not Apple refurbs. Do not buy Best Buy or other non-Apple refurbs.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I was ready to jump on one until no mini-LED. That and the same model chip means another one is probably coming soon if history dictates.

Edit: Though it will be too soon but an announcement for WWDC on the mini-LED and Xcode on iPad that compiles! :swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon:

jabro fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 20, 2020

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
To people asking about pro Apple apps (Xcode, FCPX, Logic) on iPad- My guess is that we’ll see something like that in a year or two.

If I had to guess those are big Catalyst projects (I imagine Apple would be bullheaded about using their ballyhooed porting tech to move their tentpole desktop apps over rather than rewrite them from the ground up).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Well poo poo... my 3rd gen 12.9 is trucking along with no issues but drat I want that keyboard. I have the Smart Keyboard now but I’m kinda lusting after the new one... that price though.

I’m just not sure if I can justify it but I do use the keyboard quite a bit.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

MarcusSA posted:

Well poo poo... my 3rd gen 12.9 is trucking along with no issues but drat I want that keyboard. I have the Smart Keyboard now but I’m kinda lusting after the new one... that price though.

I’m just not sure if I can justify it but I do use the keyboard quite a bit.

If I get out of this crisis alive and with a job I’m totally buying it. I’m easily saving more money than that but hunkering down in my home. But socking that all away just in case for now.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
Count me in on the investing in the new keyboard camp. With the angles and better typing experience, yes it is definitely overpriced but if I’m in for almost $200 on an Apple keyboard I may as well spend the extra and get a better experience.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Cozmosis posted:

Count me in on the investing in the new keyboard camp. With the angles and better typing experience, yes it is definitely overpriced but if I’m in for almost $200 on an Apple keyboard I may as well spend the extra and get a better experience.

:same:

ufarn
May 30, 2009
How do you wash your iPad cases by the way. I really just want to soak my non-leather Smart Cover in warm water, but what are your rituals? They get kinda dirty very quickly.

I know Apple have their own tips, but the guides always read like something someone would do in a lab coat and protective goggles.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
So the new iPad keyboard won’t work on an iPad Pro with a home button?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Krispy Wafer posted:

Correct

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

ufarn posted:

How do you wash your iPad cases by the way. I really just want to soak my non-leather Smart Cover in warm water, but what are your rituals? They get kinda dirty very quickly.

I know Apple have their own tips, but the guides always read like something someone would do in a lab coat and protective goggles.
Lint roller/tape, damp/soapy cloth I guess. I thought the latter was the usual instructions for them.

Krispy Wafer posted:

I'm guessing it's like the Pencil 2 in that it works through the inductive connection so there's not even a way to connect it to the other iPads.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

ufarn posted:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204172

In the last couple weeks they finally broke down and said you can use some wipes and disinfectants directly on devices which is nice.

One thing I’ve found helpful for my smart covers/folios over the years is once or twice a year I’ll give the inner microfiber lining a scrubbing with isopropyl alcohol after the normal wash to help get the last of the gunk/oils off but might wanna hold on to that stuff for more important uses for a while.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cozmosis posted:

Yeah I get you but I already have the drat other keyboard! Granted I’ve been using it for a year and I love it but this new keyboard is the hotness.

drat it!

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I get you but I already have the drat other keyboard! Granted I’ve been using it for a year and I love it but this new keyboard is the hotness.

drat it!

Yeah, the new keyboard is a must have. Genius move on Apples part to release the old style keyboard folio first, with the iPad for the uptake on new adopters. Then double dip with basically every early adopter for $399 more or whatever it is in May. Basically drives up revenue by $179 for every iPad sold now until the new hot keyboard is release.

It’s worth it for USB C charging pass through alone.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

japtor posted:

I'm guessing it's like the Pencil 2 in that it works through the inductive connection so there's not even a way to connect it to the other iPads.

Not induction, just the smart connector located on the back of the iPad. It will connect and be powered the same way the folio keyboard is.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
What ever became of the 2018 iPad Pros snapping in half like tacos? Was that overblown? If I wanted a 12" pro as soon as possible am I safe just getting a refurbished 2018 one?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

mancalamania posted:

What ever became of the 2018 iPad Pros snapping in half like tacos? Was that overblown? If I wanted a 12" pro as soon as possible am I safe just getting a refurbished 2018 one?

I've traveled with mine around the world multiple times and take it to work nearly every day and have seen no issue.

Yes I could probably fold it in half with my bare hands but why would I do that?

Its overblown.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Proteus Jones posted:

Not induction, just the smart connector located on the back of the iPad. It will connect and be powered the same way the folio keyboard is.
Ah thought it was like the Pencil 2 all this time. Looked at pics and I guess it’s pogo pins on the keyboard, just using the magnets for alignment?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

japtor posted:

Ah thought it was like the Pencil 2 all this time. Looked at pics and I guess it’s pogo pins on the keyboard, just using the magnets for alignment?

Yes, that’s exactly it.

They must be charging a fortune for licensing that connector since no one, not even Logitech who had multiple first gen smart connector keyboards, is making one.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Anyone use a mouse with their iPad in the new OS yet?

I’m weirdly excited to try it in a bit once I finish some chores. Costco had Logitech 720 Bluetooth mice for $19 that have a dedicated “Switch between 3 devices” button. I grabbed one since I’m gonna be WFH for the foreseeable.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 22, 2020

clopping and cumming
Jun 24, 2005
Looking for a recommendation. Currently have an Air 2 that I have had since release date. No complaints with it, but feel like I should upgrade. Looking at a refurb pro 2018 11 inch or a refurb Air 3. $550 for the former and $420 (nice) for the latter. The extra $100 or so is not a concern for me. I upgraded ever year prior to the Air 2, but this has treated me well for five years or so. I am looking to future proof a bit. Not exactly a power user, just use the iPad for content (reading, forums, controlling Sonos). Not sure if I would even use a pencil, so the second gen pencil with the pro is not a huge deal to me. Any recommendations?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

clopping and cumming posted:

Looking for a recommendation. Currently have an Air 2 that I have had since release date. No complaints with it, but feel like I should upgrade. Looking at a refurb pro 2018 11 inch or a refurb Air 3. $550 for the former and $420 (nice) for the latter. The extra $100 or so is not a concern for me. I upgraded ever year prior to the Air 2, but this has treated me well for five years or so. I am looking to future proof a bit. Not exactly a power user, just use the iPad for content (reading, forums, controlling Sonos). Not sure if I would even use a pencil, so the second gen pencil with the pro is not a huge deal to me. Any recommendations?

I recommend continuing to use the same iPad that’s still working for you, fellow Air 2 user.

clopping and cumming
Jun 24, 2005

tuyop posted:

I recommend continuing to use the same iPad that’s still working for you, fellow Air 2 user.

But consumerism!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

tuyop posted:

:same:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

clopping and cumming posted:

I do agree with the “if it still works for you just continue” sentiment. The Air 2 is still a respectable device.

But if you do, I’d recommend the 2018 Pro. They are ridiculously powerful and will likely have more longevity.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Apple done hosed up when they made the Air 2 so loving good.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I had an iPad 3 that was seeing daily use until a few weeks ago.

The best iPad is the iPad you have as long as it functions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

Anyone use a mouse with their iPad in the new OS yet?

I’m weirdly excited to try it in a bit once I finish some chores. Costco had Logitech 720 Bluetooth mice for $19 that have a dedicated “Switch between 3 devices” button. I grabbed one since I’m gonna be WFH for the foreseeable.
I got that mouse before all the stuff got announced. The size reminded me of the old VX Revolution I used to have, then I saw Bluetooth for 3 devices and only $20, impulse bought cause I'd find a use for it other stuff worst case.

I already used it a bit with the accessibility stuff, kinda stupidly excited for actual support. Particularly Jump Desktop, but well, any office type productivity stuff too.

Ultimate Mango posted:

I had an iPad 3 that was seeing daily use until a few weeks ago.

The best iPad is the iPad you have as long as it functions.
:yeah:

Well functions to your satisfaction at least. For all my iPads I think I upgrade when I feel the performance is becoming a noticeable impediment, and there's a new one I want...having only bought iPad minis since the first came out has limited my choices significantly. Mini 2 was great (equivalent to the Air it came out with), 3 was garbage (literally only added Touch ID), 4 was...ok enough, I'll get what I can get, the current 5 was good again. It'll last me a while, unless they make an iPad Pro ~9". I'd upgrade unnecessarily early for that.